Evolve, a pathetic end for a pathetic game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58824 Posts

The end is nigh for Evolve

Dedicated servers shut down in September, Stage 2 to be removed from sale

Remember Evolve? Turtle Rock's ambitious 4v1 monster shooter is coming to the end of its life, with Evolve publisher and intellectual property owner 2K signalling a raft of key features will soon no longer be available.

In a post on the 2K website, the company announced Evolve's dedicated servers shut down on 3rd September 2018. This means features such as Hunt (Ranked), leaderboards and the in-game store won't be available. On 2nd July 2018, Stage 2, the free-to-download version of the game, will no longer be available on PC.

However, you'll still be able to play Evolve online via the peer-to-peer multiplayer in Legacy Evolve on PC and console. All players retain the DLC they bought, too.

Peer-to-peer multiplayer lets you team up and play against each other through peer-to-peer matchmaking, as you'd expect. You can also party-up to create games.

It's no surprise to hear 2K announce a plan to shut down Evolve's dedicated servers, given there can't be much of a playerbase for the game at this point (Evolve is currently not in Steam's top 100 games by concurrent users).

Back in 2016, developer Turtle Rock announced it would no longer work on Evolve, which launched amid a "DLC s***storm" that "washed away people's enthusiasm" for the game. Evolve then saw a mini-resurrection as a free-to-play game.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

It's crazy how many online-only games have just bit the dust this gen. The complete mess.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58824 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

It's crazy how many online-only games have just bit the dust this gen. The complete mess.

Interesting that smaller budget PC games with basically, no press coverage have been fruitful.

Insurgency has sold 3.76 million copies.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Interesting that smaller budget PC games with basically, no press coverage have been fruitful.

Insurgency has sold 3.76 million copies.

That's quite a lot, yeah.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34553 Posts

Good riddance, game sucked.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

I played the free to play version, it was fun.

Not "I'll pay you 60 bucks and two season passes on top of that"-fun, but fun.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It was a MTX flagship, that we sunk.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

This is a non event, really... They are merely closing a server that nobody used.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Now give us L4D3.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I found the game good and got some fun with it. But of course, like all games, I got cheated to death.

So the only problems I got with this game is the cheating.

I doubt the game have fail more than other mp games around. I mean, I think it's almost all mp games beside BF and COD that loose its players quickly,

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

I thought this game had completely died off over a year ago.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

It was a good game but It didn't offer enough variety or replay value to keep people. It was a good concept and if they had more MP modes even standard ones like DM,CTF etc it could of stayed. And like most MP there's only a handful that successfully keep people

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@gmak2442 said:

I found the game good and got some fun with it. But of course, like all games, I got cheated to death.

So the only problems I got with this game is the cheating.

I doubt the game have fail more than other mp games around. I mean, I think it's almost all mp games beside BF and COD that loose its players quickly,

Yep, the concept of online gaming is fine but in practice they almost always get destroyed by griefers, cheaters and no-lifers.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22617 Posts

Never played it for a second... Too bad, it looked neat, but not my cup of tea.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

I totally forgot Evolve existed until I saw the title's name.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#16  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I remember that game. What a waste of money.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Never even played it.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I remember reading rave reviews in many local gaming mags when Evolve launched. According to the reviewers the game was innovative and darn good fun.

So why did it fail?

IronBrigador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IronBrigador
Member since 2018 • 113 Posts

Never played it but I saw some streamers and youtubers and it genuinely looked fun.

Game should have been an early access game though and sold as such. They didnt have enough content because they sold it as a fully priced game with the idea of further milking the playerbase with constant DLCs, cosmetics, player/monster packs etc etc.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Lol "people want mp games"

Lol "SP games don't matter"

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Could have been so much more... Glad I didn't buy it, though. It was 'try-it-at-a-friends-for-an-hour' tier.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Expected ....

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

I got it along with all the dlc for free on the Xbox One sometime ago. I played it for a bit. It’s a pretty fun game however the way they chopped this game up really hurt it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34553 Posts
@henrythefifth said:

I remember reading rave reviews in many local gaming mags when Evolve launched. According to the reviewers the game was innovative and darn good fun.

So why did it fail?

The "darn good fun" could be had in like 1 out of 20 matches. The game mostly didn't work as the developers intended and ended up in people just running around. And just running isn't fun. I guess it received good reviews since most reviewers don't really give a shit and just wants to be one of the first websites to have a review for clicks. I bet they played a few matches when the game was new, found it fun and wrote a hasty review instead of going in debt about how the game really is and will be after playing for a while.

That, coupled with the seriously stupid business model they had, I guess was the reason it failed. If you ask me, the game and its' developer got exactly what they deserved.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I don't care what the game is, I find it unacceptable that they shut down the servers. What does it really cost a publisher to run a server... **** all.

People claim because it's not popular is not worth running, in that case if nobody is on it then it costs them nothing, they can just run the server software on the machine that hosts another game in that case.

Or have a dedicated server for all the 'dead' games.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1473 Posts

It was a pretty fun game though.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

But wasn't Evolve a AAA title? i thought those were supposed to be much better?

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

2K has turned into complete trash this gen. This game, the WWE games, Mafia 3.

They have overtaken Ubisoft for me in the worst developer prize.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

A game with a Singleplayer mode as well as a Multiplayer mode can never truly die.

Learn your lesson developers.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

I'm surprised we're even talking about this game again. This thing was a microtransaction black hole of chaos that could have had potential, but dropped the ball. Hell, I think the jankier Friday the 13th game executed the idea way better. Anyway, good riddance. Maybe now Turtle Rock can be put to use by Valve on L4D3 since their schedule seems to be opening up soon.

I remember IGN shamelessly giving this game a 9. They can barely disguise when they get sweet advertising dosh from companies.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:

A game with a Singleplayer mode as well as a Multiplayer mode can never truly die.

Learn your lesson developers.

Cannot be emphasized enough.

Devs: you aren't going to release the next Fortnite just because your idea sounds cool. Sticking to traditional multiplayer experiences -- ones that complement and/or supplement singleplayer experiences are much safer.

Avatar image for SexPantherPanda
SexPantherPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SexPantherPanda
Member since 2008 • 120 Posts

Game was completely awful nothing of value was lost.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#34 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@TheEroica: The 4 vs 1 thing never caught hold. I played fable legends version it was fun for tad in that alpha but we all knew it wasn't going to be a thing. So i didn't even bother with Evolve. As someone else has said this is not even news worthy as it's the shut down of a server not many are using anyway.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@cainetao11 said:

@TheEroica: The 4 vs 1 thing never caught hold. I played fable legends version it was fun for tad in that alpha but we all knew it wasn't going to be a thing. So i didn't even bother with Evolve. As someone else has said this is not even news worthy as it's the shut down of a server not many are using anyway.

Ever heard about a game called Friday the 13th or Dead by Daylight to name a few.

Similar idea and when done right it can become successful

But darn I have completely forgotten Evolve ever existed, no surprise that they shut that down, it was a complete and utter failure.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Good riddance.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58261 Posts

Asymmetrical online games are tricky, there seems yet to be one that gives people a reason why to choose it over a traditional multiplayer game. Still, it's a novel idea that, imo, is still surprisingly fresh despite being well over a decade old at this point.

With that said, Evolve did seem like a pretty solid game, just not good enough for that initial price point. I remember looking at some online gameplay videos and it looked mediocre, and when I tried it for a free weekend my experience confirmed that.

Still, it'd be nice to see the sub-genre do something really well. Maybe a Godzilla vs. Army, 50-versus-1 game :P

@ten_pints said:

I don't care what the game is, I find it unacceptable that they shut down the servers. What does it really cost a publisher to run a server... **** all.

People claim because it's not popular is not worth running, in that case if nobody is on it then it costs them nothing, they can just run the server software on the machine that hosts another game in that case.

Or have a dedicated server for all the 'dead' games.

Yeah, a "boneyard" server for older games would be cool. Minimal support, limited capacity...but hey, still there.

However, the game only requires five people per match, and I imagine anyone still playing it was part of some sort of community; peer-to-peer will be sufficient.

@Jacanuk said:
@cainetao11 said:

Ever heard about a game called Friday the 13th or Dead by Daylight to name a few.

Similar idea and when done right it can become successful

But darn I have completely forgotten Evolve ever existed, no surprise that they shut that down, it was a complete and utter failure.

There were some other asymmetrical/one-versus-many games out there as well. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory's online had a pretty good cat and mouse mode iirc, where you had the infiltrator with gadgets, and the overpowered security guy. That was fun but, again, pretty niche and not that huge (besides, Splinter Cell is a singleplayer game at its core).

Hmmm never mind, can't really think of any others lol. It's definitely a sub-genre that could use some more effort put into it.

I was under the impression Dead by Daylight and Friday the 13th were also mediocre games.

Of course, there's the ultimate asymmetrical game: Dungeons and Dragons! 4 heroes vs 1 evil DM!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

This is disgusting what if people paid 60 dollars for this game now they can't play it?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

God that game sucked lol

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The game looked fun. I just didn't buy it because of all of the microtransactions, and I didn't buy it later when they attempted to make it more reasonable because it didn't look like anyone was playing the game.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Their business practice might have been pathetic, but I thought the game itself was solid overall. Good thing you can still play p2p, although I doubt I will have time to dive back in.....I already played it quite a bit.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

@thereal25: Yes, and those are just a few of the issues with modern online multiplayer gaming. The entire online MP experience has completely devolved and isn't worth touching anymore.