everyone stop using vgchartz

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for flashattackfina
flashattackfina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 flashattackfina
Member since 2007 • 1468 Posts

There numbers are FAKE

Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heydanbud92
Member since 2007 • 4464 Posts
i know. their numbers for 360 in NA esspecially are generally way too high.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
i know. their numbers for 360 in NA esspecially are generally way too high.Heydanbud92
While I do agree that they aren't very accurate, if you actually read some articles they'll tell you that last month they tracked the 360 high on purpose to make up for other times when they tracked it low. Also keep in mind when comparing them to NPD that VgChartz tracks North America as a whole, while NPD tracks the US and Canada separately. And to address the topic, the numbers are not fake. They may be inaccurate, but ioi gets real data from real retailers and extrapolates them. They are not usually close to actual numbers, but they are an excellent indicator of general market trends.
Avatar image for ---OkeyDokey---
---OkeyDokey---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ---OkeyDokey---
Member since 2007 • 3318 Posts

they aren't fake they use sources to get their numbers. theres no way to know how much games actually sell, NPD does the exact same thing but they have more sources and track more of the market.

and last time i checked their japanese sales are almost exactly the same as the numbers famitsu and mediacreate put out, so they must be doing something right.

Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Heydanbud92

[QUOTE="Heydanbud92"]i know. their numbers for 360 in NA esspecially are generally way too high.SmashBrosLegend
While I do agree that they aren't very accurate, if you actually read some articles they'll tell you that last month they tracked the 360 high on purpose to make up for other times when they tracked it low. Also keep in mind when comparing them to NPD that VgChartz tracks North America as a whole, while NPD tracks the US and Canada separately. And to address the topic, the numbers are not fake. They may be inaccurate, but ioi gets real data from real retailers and extrapolates them. They are not usually close to actual numbers, but they are an excellent indicator of general market trends.

I know. Add up the TOTAL of NPDs since launch and subtract that from 360s total # as of november according to VGchartz. it's a couple MILLION off.... That's WAY off.

Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heydanbud92

they aren't fake they use sources to get their numbers. theres no way to know how much games actually sell, NPD does the exact same thing but they have more sources and track more of the market.

and last time i checked their japanese sales are almost exactly the same as the numbers famitsu and mediacreate put out, so they must be doing something right.

---OkeyDokey---

no they aren't, some weeks they are right but others are way off....

SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SmashBrosLegend

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="Heydanbud92"]i know. their numbers for 360 in NA esspecially are generally way too high.Heydanbud92

I know. Add up the TOTAL of NPDs since launch and subtract that from 360s total # as of november according to VGchartz. it's a couple MILLION off.... That's WAY off.

Well, let's see it. Show me some NPD LTD numbers for the 360 and compare them to VgChartz.
twags82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 twags82
Member since 2003 • 4531 Posts
Will we stop using GR for scores too?
DarkCloud79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarkCloud79
Member since 2006 • 997 Posts

There numbers are FAKE

flashattackfina

They aren't fake, they are just made-up.

Using them for US or JP is innacurate but, unfortunately, they are the only source for European sales.

DarkCloud79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarkCloud79
Member since 2006 • 997 Posts

Will we stop using GR for scores too?twags82

I loled.:D

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
Ahem. http://www.vgchartz.com/welcome.php. "VG Chartz collects and makes projections", "that is ensuring that the sample sizes used are significant enough to accurately represent the entire markets in which the samples are based", "verifies the accuracy of sell-through data by comparing with manufacturer production and shipment data", "By constantly adjusting sell-through data", "VG Chartz should be seen as a very powerful prediction tool". So they basically take a guess and fix their numbers when the real numbers become available.
bigLLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 bigLLL
Member since 2005 • 3688 Posts

vgchartz is damn good, there first estimates might be off but they correct there numbers it's good

Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Heydanbud92
[QUOTE="Heydanbud92"]

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="Heydanbud92"]i know. their numbers for 360 in NA esspecially are generally way too high.SmashBrosLegend

Well, let's see it. Show me some NPD LTD numbers for the 360 and compare them to VgChartz.

LTD as of the end of Nov. according to NPD: 7.891 Million (you'lle just have to add them up yourself if you don't believe me)

LTD as of the week ending Dec. 1 in NA accroding to VG cartz: 9.149 Million

So VG chartz is over estimating 360 sales in NA by 1.258 Million. That's siginificant.

wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wiretoss
Member since 2006 • 3030 Posts

---OkeyDokey---

Yeah. People don't understand that it's all relative really, and no particular source is necessarily better than another one. o_x It's all probability and statistics.

SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SmashBrosLegend
[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="Heydanbud92"]

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="Heydanbud92"]i know. their numbers for 360 in NA esspecially are generally way too high.Heydanbud92

LTD as of the end of Nov. according to NPD: 7.891 Million (you'lle just have to add them up yourself if you don't believe me)

So VG chartz is over estimating 360 sales in NA by 1.258 Million. That's siginificant.

Now add in NPD Canada. NPD's main numbers represent the US only. VgChartz represents all of North America. And then take into account that NPD has its own margin of error. They are by far the best source we have, but their numbers aren't exact either.
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SmashBrosLegend
[QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"]

wiretoss

Yeah. People don't understand that it's all relative really, and no particular source is necessarily better than another one. o_x It's all probability and statistics.

NPD can be declared "better" based on the fact that they have more data, more sources, more money, and more proven extrapolation methods.
wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wiretoss
Member since 2006 • 3030 Posts
[QUOTE="wiretoss"][QUOTE="---OkeyDokey---"]

SmashBrosLegend

NPD can be declared "better" based on the fact that they have more data, more sources, more money, and more proven extrapolation methods.

o_o Probability and Statistics. Like I said.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts
Vgchartz uses estimates yes...but then they change their estimates to real numbers when the real numbers come in. Yes, their estimates are off a lot of the time. But they are also making a lot of adjustments. They are far more accurate now imo then they were a year ago. So, what is the best site to use then?
davidwes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 davidwes
Member since 2005 • 89 Posts

Did you add NPD Canada?

Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heydanbud92
[QUOTE="Heydanbud92"][QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="Heydanbud92"]

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="Heydanbud92"]i know. their numbers for 360 in NA esspecially are generally way too high.davidwes

Did you add NPD Canada?

if someone could show me where to find some NPD canada #s so i can add them up i would admit that i'm wrong.

davidwes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 davidwes
Member since 2005 • 89 Posts

if someone could show me where to find some NPD canada #s so i can add them up i would admit that i'm wrong.

Heydanbud92

Yeah. I was looking for them too!

RaveRabbid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RaveRabbid
Member since 2006 • 1587 Posts

There numbers are FAKE

flashattackfina

Their predictions are exactly that.... predictions. However, once NPD releases its data for both the U.S. and Canadian markets, VGchartz adjusts the numbers to remain accurate. Before NPD releases its numbers for the month, VGchartz predicts what the numbers might be and then adjusts the number afterwards.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

---OkeyDokey---

Their numbers are a joke. However, if you pay attention they change their figures when the actual sales figures (ie NPD) come out. Japan has official weekly figures which vgchartz use as far as i'm aware.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Um...mind elaborating on that? And what is your favorite console? Just wondering....
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts

LOL, linking a forum post for your NPD numbers is worse then using VGChatrz. Get out of this thread discussion now before you further embarass yourself.
omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

For old consoles the data should be pretty accurate..

For newer it is more uncertain, but their total numbers still shouldn't be very far off.. But their monthly and weekly numbers are very inaccurate and should not be taken very seriously.

Heydanbud92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heydanbud92
[QUOTE="Heydanbud92"][QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="Heydanbud92"]

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="Heydanbud92"]i know. their numbers for 360 in NA esspecially are generally way too high.Danthegamingman

LOL, linking a forum post for your NPD numbers is worse then using VGChatrz. Get out of this thread discussion now before you further embarass yourself.

they are just the npd numbers all combined on one chart..... go check the numbers... he took them straight from NPD each month and put them in the chart..... wtf?