Every time a hyped game flops critically...I die a little inside

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Lucky's Tale wasn't hyped up that much but I wanted that game to be good. Looked like a fun, charming game(might still be).

Knack? Same thing. Was looking for a fun platformer for the PS4 but nope.

An exclusive, hell any game flopping is not a good thing unless they do something that is anti-consumer(like MvC Infinite). Just means less variety and less games to choose from and more power in the hands of the few.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Well look at the bright side.

2017 saw a return to a genre long thought dead.

The 3D Platforming (Collectathon) Genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

... and, at the very least, 3/4 were flops. Thats not good

btw , by 3/4 I'm talking about Yooka Laylee, Knack 2 and Lucky's Tale and the only exception being Super Mario Odyssey. If some people really do love this genre they better buy a Switch cause I dont see any other company other than Nintendo supporting it in the future

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

Did you buy Super Luckys Tale or Knack 2?

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Some of the best games i've played have had low scores so i don't give a shit. I only pay attention to scores so i know to get a game later on cheaper.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Vatusus: A Hat in Time is a game that released in 2017 too you know.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Vatusus: the problem is games like Mario odyssey were built over a period of years with a large team and budget...you can’t compare that to games like super luckys tale or yooka laylee

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

Are we basing this purely on scores? If yes then that’s rather silly. IF I took gaming reviews as my sole guide I would have missed out on so many good games.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56067 Posts

I never get into hypes, I basically keep my hypes in check and the only way to enjoy a game is to play it and find out if that game met your expectations. Never be over hype for anything at all.

I been following Super Lucky's Tale since E3 2017 and I wasn't even hype at all, I still wanna play the game and since it's only $30, why the hell not? Also, I ended up liking Knack/2, just don't take hype of a game so serious.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

> Wing Of Vi goes totally unnoticed with 0 metacritic reviews

> Shadow Tactics console release goes unnoticed

The bullshit is high.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@Vatusus: Have you played A Hat in Time? I'd consider it a non-flop since... well it's fun

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23904 Posts

@Vatusus said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

... and, at the very least, 3/4 were flops. Thats not good

btw , by 3/4 I'm talking about Yooka Laylee, Knack 2 and Lucky's Tale and the only exception being Super Mario Odyssey. If some people really do love this genre they better buy a Switch cause I dont see any other company other than Nintendo supporting it in the future

A Hat in Time?

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

So we're going to pretend a good game (7/10) Knack 2 is a flop now? I know Super Unlucky's Tale , ReBore , and Quantum Broke hurt ... but why take it out on good game (7/10) Knack 2 ? War has changed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Maroxad said:

A Hat in Time?

@pyro1245 said:

@Vatusus: Have you played A Hat in Time? I'd consider it a non-flop since... well it's fun

I seriously, honestly, never even heard about that game... wich doesnt bode well for it's commercial success... but what do I know

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I know what you mean.

Sometimes I'm looking forward to a game. It will look like something I would like and enjoy.

But then some man on the internet will say he doesn't like it or if it does get good review I might see some threads saying it's overrate or worse... boring!

As a result of this I've not played a game in 14 years as someone always ruins it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

Yeah I get disappointed when a game I’m really looking forward to gets low reviews, I think that it’s just human nature to do so. However I don’t necessarily take reviews as an end all be all type of thing. I’ll take the time to more fully inform myself of the game through various means and try to weigh that information critically. There’s been times where I’ve enjoyed a low scoring game enough to be satisfied with the experience I had with it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I'm only annoyed when a really good game flops commercially.

My favorite game of the gen was a flop both critically and commercially though, so meh.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

Super Lucky still looks like a fun game.

And so what if professional reviewers don't like it ? It was never gonna be as good as Mario, it's a budget indie title ffs.

@ConanTheStoner said:

My favorite game of the gen was a flop both critically and commercially though, so meh.

Yeah that hurts me too.

I keep hearing people saying: we want more AAA singleplayer games.

But when those release people go: Nah, not spending 60 bucks on that.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah that hurts me too.

I keep hearing people saying: we want more AAA singleplayer games.

But when those release people go: Nah, not spending 60 bucks on that.

Yeah that's a bitch, but really just good games in general. AAA, indie, single player, multiplayer, whatever. Always sucks to see a legitimately good/great game bomb on sales no matter the case.

On the one hand, yeah I just want to see a company earn something back for their efforts when they put out something good. But then there's the more "greedy" self motivated part of it, where I'd like to see more good games from a particular company, or more games of a specific type. Of course nothing sends a message more loud and clear than money does, only takes an underperforming title or two to be the nail in the coffin sometimes.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Juub1990: Lucky for me i don't care about scores. I bought Ryse and enjoyed it even though this site gave it a 4 i believe (sorry never read the review) so maybe you should learn to make up your own mind about games.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

To be fair people only hyped Lucky's Tale because it is the only game Xbone has this year. Everyone knew it would be trash.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Well, some games have been complete crap, but to be honest, we've had so many great games, it's hard to keep up as it is. Lol My backlog is simply gigantic.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Yeah that's a bitch, but really just good games in general. AAA, indie, single player, multiplayer, whatever. Always sucks to see a legitimately good/great game bomb on sales no matter the case.

On the one hand, yeah I just want to see a company earn something back for their efforts when they put out something good. But then there's the more "greedy" self motivated part of it, where I'd like to see more good games from a particular company, or more games of a specific type. Of course nothing sends a message more loud and clear than money does, only takes an underperforming title or two to be the nail in the coffin sometimes.

I think that's the main thing: whenever a couple of games in a niche flops, it sends shockwaves through the industry: DON'T TRY MAKING THIS.

It takes a few years before the industry finally recovers and starts giving the niche a chance again.

I guess that is the saddest part of all: the diversity seems to die off a little, and more developers/publishers will start going after what's already popular.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#24  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

@Juub1990: its still a fun game. Its no Mario Odyssey, but I played it for a couple hours Fanfest night and I had fun with it. And its priced accordingly. Worth playing imho even if you wait for the price drop. Its basically a game for young kids MS should have made that more clear in the marketing.

I honestly havent read a game review I've completely agreed with in years, especially on this website. The reviewers on this site have a consistent problem with the framing parameters of their reviews. They basically review games and put them into a box of what they expected out of it instead of what the game actually is. Same thing happened with ReCore. They reviewed it as an open world game when its really mostly a platformer.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

To be fair people only hyped Lucky's Tale because it is the only game Xbone has this year. Everyone knew it would be trash.

Seriously, do us all a favour and go away.

@ConanTheStoner said:

Yeah agreed. When a really decent game gets completely overlooked, such as Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, that disappoints me more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Still haven't learnt your lesson yet i see.

You cows make it so easy lol.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Congrats man. You have a 5/10 flop kids game to talk about on your $500 brick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@i_p_daily said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Well actually it's for YOU to talk about flip flopper see above lol.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Well being a PC fan, you subject yourself to that.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@i_p_daily said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Funny coming from you, when you were a lem a year ago.. but before that a cow.. which was the prelude to your psychotic mental breakdown where you ragequit and flip flopped consoles.

you can't hide your past in SW kid, you talk a lot of crap for someone that constantly switches sides.

you hear that? you just got potato sacked.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Let us hope that there will not be a large number of critical flops that will cause a video game crash.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#32 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Well first, I don't know how Knack 2 flopped. The first got a 4/10 here, 54/100 Meta; Knack 2 a 7/10 here, 69/100 meta. Were you expecting a 96/100? They built on the first one and one person I know said its a fun game.

Same with Lucky's tale. An EU game reviewer was on a podcast this past week and he received an X1X along with 20 game codes like some youtubers from Microsoft. Lucky's tale was one of them and the first thing he said was the game is a fun game. It isn't Mario Odyssey but that doesn't mean it isn't worth playing at $30.

Now I don't go for cutesy mascot platformer games generally. I liked Ori and Cuphead I don't really consider a plqatformer so I had no intention to buy Knack or Super Lucky's ass. But its just other people's opinions. Seriously, that's all reviews are. That dingle brain Tamoor here at Gamespot gave Prey a 6/10. Its one of my GOTY contenders. Its a great game imo and nothing he or any reviewer says will change my mind. Fvck them, dude.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 oflow

@cainetao11: Pretty much. I was watching a guy review play Super Lucky on Mixer last night he was basically saying its really fun and definitely worth buying. Sure he could be a paid shill, but just from our conversation I think he was kinda spot on.

I guess if platformers are you main thing, its probably a mediocre game especially when you put it side by side with a juggernaut like Mario which is a flagship franchise. But plop a kid in front of it and they will have fun.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Knack 2 had a 3 point score increase from the original 4 to 7, with that record Knack 3 will be a 10

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#35 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@oflow: Check out Mooch interviews JKB on YouTube. He's a Canadian tech/game reviewer on YouTube and his take on SLT was hilarious. It's really funny shit.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 oflow

@ConanTheStoner said:

Of course nothing sends a message more loud and clear than money does, only takes an underperforming title or two to be the nail in the coffin sometimes.

This has been the effect plaguing MS all this gen. The bad launch set the tone, and their games get held to a much higher criteria by reviewers that go into them looking to bash the games. But overall, the games this gen havent been as bad as the overall community has made them out to be.

Ryse got bashed since it was the first major 'next gen' title, but it was held to unrealistic expectations too. But actually for what it was it was a decent game. Its no 10/10, but its better than the treatment it received.

Killer Instinct is actually a pretty solid game as well. Its no SFV, but its also better than average.

MCC is an awesome collection that got hammered for initial MP issues rightfully so. But it got lowballed for it the same way. But for overall content, the ability to play all those games in one package and the single player working fine out the gate its a great overall package.

Is Quantum Break really that much worse than UC4? I dunno. I get the live action stuff was kinda awkward, but the games themselves seem to be about the same quality. I'm not a big single player gamer to begin with, but having played both I walked away with the same feeling either way.

ReCore got reemed on this site, but its also not as bad as the reviews claim. Most people going back and playing the definitive edition kind of admit that now but the damage was already done again. Not to mention it wasnt priced as a AAA at launch.

Its all personal opinion, but another easy example in Halo Wars 2. Its a pretty solid game IMHO with top notch production quality, especially for a console RTS. And its actually only gotten better since it came out. Not to mention its was pretty genius of them to fold the lore of this game into the current Halo shooter franchise. People bash Halo 5 for its story, but that story combined with HW2' story is setting up some good things for Halo 6.

I'm sure a big part of the reason Scalebound got cancelled was because of this effect. Having already taken a bunch of body blows, MS pulled the plug rather than take a major bashing on it.

Hyperbole is a fickle beast and it can snowball either direction. unfortunately for MS they've been on the negative side of it all gen. With the lopsided sales gap, it reached a critical mass point and bashing MS has been normalized. I guess the difference is Sony has more content so they get a pass for all their bad games. But they also have the Japanese developer bump to help them out in that regard.

And I'm not saying MS is doing just great or couldnt do better because they can. They have a lot of room for opportunity. But I also understand this effect has pushed them into a corner as well since its hard to talk the bosses into greenlighting new stuff when the other stuff doesnt make bread. But I agree with your sentiment.