Every gamer should support Halo - Here's why.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-CMG-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -CMG-
Member since 2002 • 4804 Posts

Halo is special in a way that few games are. It gets the attention of the mass media in a positive way unlike GTA unfortunately.

Anyway Halo is the gaming communities greatest shot at media respectability. If we want gaming to be seen on the same level as say movies or sports then we should be at least happy for the games attention even if your not a fan a series.

Halo 3 has a movie tie in being worked on by none other than Peter Jackson which lends the title allot of mainstream cache'. Halo the movie may be the breathrough moment when gaming is elevated from a sometime Geek hobby to a more main stream activity that people of all ages enjoy today.

Halo can be that game that breaks down the barriers for gamers and legitimizes the medium as an important part of our culture which we know it is because of the revenue it generates.

Anyway just a thought.....

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts

i guess but still brawl owns halo 3

ps: jk

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Nice thoughts, but I predict you are going to get massively flamed by a bunch of insecure haters.
Avatar image for MushroomRevenge
MushroomRevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MushroomRevenge
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts

So lets all go listen to Nickelback, everyone does it! We want people to listen to music so we should all listen to garbage so people take notice of music. Is basically what you said.

Sorry if that offends anyone, I used to like Nickelback, first album, now they suck.

amorbis1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amorbis1001
Member since 2007 • 2281 Posts
lol AGREED, but cows are to jealous to accept it.
tonythestudent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tonythestudent
Member since 2004 • 2592 Posts
No
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
cache'-CMG-
This is an obscure word, so I'm not going to jump down your throat, but cachet means prestige - cache is where you temporarily store something.
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
I think we should support good games because they are good. Not any generic game just because it has a lot of mainstream hype
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Halo is special in a way that few games are. It gets the attention of the mass media in a positive way unlike GTA unfortunately.

Anyway Halo is the gaming communities greatest shot at media respectability. If we want gaming to be seen on the same level as say movies or sports then we should be at least happy for the games attention even if your not a fan a series.

Halo 3 has a movie tie in being worked on by none other than Peter Jackson which lends the title allot of mainstream cache'. Halo the movie may be the breathrough moment when gaming is elevated from a sometime Geek hobby to a more main stream activity that people of all ages enjoy today.

Halo can be that game that breaks down the barriers for gamers and legitimizes the medium as an important part of our culture which we know it is because of the revenue it generates.

-CMG-

If Halo 3 becomes successful that means this industry will have even more FPS games.

no thanks. I'll stand against it.

Also I don't want general public to think gamers know nothing but how to shoot people, and I just know they will interview some random idiot that will be on public TV saying "YEAH HALO3!!! I Just LOVE how you can shoot others in the head with cool guns!!!!"

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
I think I'll wait for a game that excels at everything to become respectable in the mass media...
HungryLikeAMug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HungryLikeAMug
Member since 2007 • 507 Posts

i agree....it brings positive light to the gaming community.....people who cant play it on their consoles are just bitter and will disect halo 3 till they find something they hate.....let them! we have it they dont!! 15 days baby!

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
popularity means nothing to me. games will never be respected. they will never be considered by the masses to be an art form. all gamers should play what they like, and not play what they dont like.
ZeroCrack1412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ZeroCrack1412
Member since 2007 • 202 Posts
why would i support a game i never even play?
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
wii sports is already doing it.
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts
I guess Microsoft funds all those ads and sale campaigns...Halo really doesn't get the attention of everyone, Microsoft's Money does most of the talking for it.
tonythestudent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tonythestudent
Member since 2004 • 2592 Posts

i agree....it brings positive light to the gaming community.....people who cant play it on their consoles are just bitter and will disect halo 3 till they find something they hate.....let them! we have it they dont!! 15 days baby!

HungryLikeAMug

This coming from someone who said SC was too slow :lol:

-CMG-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -CMG-

I think we should support good games because they are good. Not any generic game just because it has a lot of mainstream hypeNaiKoN9293

This kinda thing gets me. I think its fair for anyone to say that they HATE Halo. I mean thats your opinion and your entitled to it.

But to say that Halo is a Generic game and disparage it like its just another game when it sells so incredibly well and Halo owns the 4th and 14th slots in the All Time Highest Rated games column on GameRankings is just showing yourself off to be a Hater and a Fanboy.

People can flame me all you want but if you Hate the series and you just dont "get it" about what makes Halo special then at least be mature enough to understand its a matter of your taste and not indicative of the quality of the game.

HALO is one of the highest Quality Franchises EVER and its place is with the Marios and Resident Evils and yes Even with the Zeldas of the world. If you dont agree than maybe your taste is the only thing in doubt andnot the games quality.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Well, that's a bunch of BS.

If you really want to break down barriers, you should check out what the Wii and DS have been up to.

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

wii sports is already doing it.Silenthps

That's the game that's breaking barriers... no matter how much some of you hate its casualness. Besides, I'm not a Halo fan... why should I support it?

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#20 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]wii sports is already doing it.TDLlama

That's the game that's breaking barriers... no matter how much some of you hate its casualness. Besides, I'm not a Halo fan... why should I support it?

I'd rather want general public to have Wiisport as the image of gamers rather than Halo 3.

That way, at least general public would think gamers are friendly, active, and generally have fun while playing games.

Thanks to GTA, as much as I love the series and think it is positive that pushes gaming to direction where more mature expression can be seen as gaming medium, it ended up giving gamers a negative image to general public that doesn't play games. Halo 3 doesn't really help that matters but fuels it.

Wiisports is actually helping gamers image to be more positive.

Avatar image for MushroomRevenge
MushroomRevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MushroomRevenge
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]I think we should support good games because they are good. Not any generic game just because it has a lot of mainstream hype-CMG-

This kinda thing gets me. I think its fair for anyone to say that they HATE Halo. I mean thats your opinion and your entitled to it.

But to say that Halo is a Generic game and disparage it like its just another game when it sells so incredibly well and Halo owns the 4th and 14th slots in the All Time Highest Rated games column on GameRankings is just showing yourself off to be a Hater and a Fanboy.

People can flame me all you want but if you Hate the series and you just dont "get it" about what makes Halo special then at least be mature enough to understand its a matter of your taste and not indicative of the quality of the game.

HALO is one of the highest Quality Franchises EVER and its place is with the Marios and Resident Evils and yes Even with the Zeldas of the world. If you dont agree than maybe your taste is the only thing in doubt andnot the games quality.

Well you know what else is taking up space in the top 10? Resident Evil 4, two versions of it. Doesn't mean it isn't generic, doesn't mean its good. And opinions ARE what make up a game. Opinion is what rates games. If rating games was a fact, there would be only one score, not 100 different ones.

Also Halo is just a normal futuristic fps, name one thing that they did that wasn't basic? You get a shield and health, the shield being the only abnormal thing in the games. Halo is also trendy, when seeing exactly how much health you had was out of style they made it so you only saw your shields.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

Youre a fewyears late...

Gaming has been mainstream since I was a toddler... Maybe even before...

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
Uh, don't get Microsoft's insanely huge media blitz of hype confused with mainstream media respect for the game. For god's sake, it's a game about shooting aliens.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Yeah, part of the problem that the general population looks at games as "BOOM HEADSHOT!!!"

Halo is only going to make that worse.

-CMG-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -CMG-

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]wii sports is already doing it.TDLlama

Okay like - I meant in Moral Support Sense - Not go out and buy something you don't like. Sorry if i didn't make that clear.

I am Happy to see what Nintendo is doing but frankly if Wii Sports is the direction they want to take gaming then count me out.

Zelda isn't breaking down barriers.....I don't know about you.... But if Wii sports is a harbinger of things to come I am dumping consoles and going back to PC. All these Sheep running around here hailing Wii as the second coming is insane. You telling me after all these years of gaming I am suppose to find Wii Sports any more than an interesting afternoon??? The Wii is doing allot for Noobs but its doing nothing for the type of peeps you will find in the forums of a Game Site like GSpot.

-CMG-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -CMG-

Uh, don't get Microsoft's insanely huge media blitz of hype confused with mainstream media respect for the game. For god's sake, it's a game about shooting aliens.osirisomeomi

And Star Wars was just a movie about shooting aliens and the Godfather was just a movie about some crooks. Sorry.

-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Sir-Poof-
Member since 2006 • 4544 Posts

Gaming already is mainstream.

proof11102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 proof11102
Member since 2007 • 1080 Posts

The halo franchise total sale = 14.7 million

Final Fantasy = 75 million...

Video games didn't need Halo to get big. It needed playstation 1 and 2. And because of that you NOW have an american system trying to suck up some of this now huge market with xbox360.

Tickmenanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tickmenanny
Member since 2003 • 1278 Posts

-CMG-
I don't want Halo to be the game that draws attention to video games. I want gaming to be considered a passtime for adults, not man-childs who like to shoot stuff in the head.
Tickmenanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tickmenanny
Member since 2003 • 1278 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisomeomi"]Uh, don't get Microsoft's insanely huge media blitz of hype confused with mainstream media respect for the game. For god's sake, it's a game about shooting aliens.-CMG-

And Star Wars was just a movie about shooting aliens and the Godfather was just a movie about some crooks. Sorry.

Um... let's actually not compare Halo to one of the greatest movies ever made (godfather).
-CMG-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -CMG-

Gaming already is mainstream.

-Sir-Poof-

I know allot of people say the Playstation made gaming mainstream but AAA launches are still not treated with the kind of fanfare that huge movie launches are. You hear occassionally about GTA or Halo on the news but then it disappears unless its some senator from nowhere crying about the evils of video games. Maybe thats the way it will always be or maybe the Media will clue in on how big these things really are and start covering the medium a little more.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisomeomi"]Uh, don't get Microsoft's insanely huge media blitz of hype confused with mainstream media respect for the game. For god's sake, it's a game about shooting aliens.-CMG-

sigworthy quote right there :lol:
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

Halo is one of those games that gets media attention. However, to be frank, I've not seen many stories on Halo truly signifying any sort of "respect." Rather, I see reporters telling stories about how long lines are being formed outside stores days or hours before Halo's launch, and then that's it... Perhaps at best it recieves a 3 minute special and nothing more on the news. Quite frankly, it's just the media making it a filler or something.

Don't get me wrong, Halo has a huge fan base support, but that doesn't mean the media glorifies it and makes the gaming industry seem more "artistic" and "important" to life. You could argue they are reporting mainly on the minds and reasoning behind people who forms lines behind games being released. I would say it's niether positive nor negative in any respect. Wii seems to be the more "respect" one, but in terms of how well it does and why it's successful. Reaching out for people that the media usually targets.

NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts

[QUOTE="NaiKoN9293"]I think we should support good games because they are good. Not any generic game just because it has a lot of mainstream hype-CMG-

I got raped in system wars, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

seriously though, the Halo series is a super successful series, Im not disputing that. I just wanna say that just because a generic FPS game doesn't appeal to me doesn't mean that I should support it just because other people like it. People have different tastes and we shouldn't 'unite' around one game just because it would make gaming more mainstream. Because that would be betraying what games are really about, mindless fun.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 coakroach
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts

Halo also began a major trend in machinima, was the first real success for console online play and system link games