even though it ain't AAA, should i get FF 13

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

quizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 quizee
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts

well i guess this is more for big fans of the series but my question is just how good is it, how does it rank up against the other games in the FF series, is it worth 60 bucks? thx

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Of course not. Its not AAA. Why would you buy a game that's not AAA? I only buy the best. I don't have money to spend on the common tripe with the 8.5 and below. Mingle my glorious games with that common riff raff? Utter nonsense.
skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#3 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts

Nope, everyone knows that if it isn't AAA, it isn't worth buying. As a matter of fact, I am thinking of reassessing my quality standard of games to include only AAAA

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

I advise you to expand your taste in games to that outside of AAA's. You will be much better off for it.

Yes, it's worthy of a buy. Or just rent it.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'm liking the game alot; It's around the middle of my FF list. The gameplay is great, I actually do like the story so far, and there is some nice music in the game, and of course the visuals are terrific.

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

Compared to its previous titles like FFX, FF9, FF8, FF7,FF12, this is on paar with FFX2, it will severely disappoint you. Combat is mindless button bashing X, very little strategy is required until you get around half way through the 2nd disc where things start to pick up, and its very linear for the first 10 hours (litterally), story is just all over the place at the beginning, and Vanille is probably the most annoying character you will play with in this generation of gaming. Also, the summoning is very underwhelming, as if they tried to go for the transformer approach, and you only get to control one character at a time, and if that character dies, its game over, which is stupid.

Overall i would give it a 6, and this is coming from someone who has finished it. Wait till its in the bargain bin.

Avatar image for nintendos-mario
nintendos-mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nintendos-mario
Member since 2010 • 144 Posts
Do not put too much concern over a number or a letter score if it is a game that interests you. I play games that appeal to my tastes regardless of scores, as most games that score well by professional critics do not appeal to me. In fact, many games I played are not AAA or AA quality.
quizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 quizee
you guys are missing my point, correct me if im wrong but this game was hyped quite a bit, heck some people treated it like the second coming of christ, and then its average at gamerankings is just 85%(for ps3). it just seems like maybe the game kind of failed and is just an average RPG. thats what im trying to figure out
majestix1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 majestix1988
Member since 2006 • 822 Posts

games are meant to be played and have good story on it than following a game going to some award like game of the year etc etc....

Just play it....and forget the rating(every people has different tastes just try if you have time) or you trophy fanatic or something

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

I would be ashamed if I owned an inferior game because it's not AAA. If you do buy it don't put it on GS. You get a icon emblem if you own lots of AAA games. Don't want to let a dismissal 8.5 game dilute that, do you?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lundy86_4

you guys are missing my point, correct me if im wrong but this game was hyped quite a bit, heck some people treated it like the second coming of christ, and then its average at gamerankings is just 85%(for ps3). it just seems like maybe the game kind of failed and is just an average RPG. thats what im trying to figure outquizee

Yes, because 85% is average.

Is the conversation really happening?

It was hyped because it's a humungous JRPG franchise.

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts

while i would never say don't get a game because it isn't AAA. I have to say i'm absolutely hating FF13 right now. I'm almost done with the game and can't believe i've wasted 42 hours into this game. The battle system is tedious and to some degree plays it self with very little strategy or thought required. The story is even worse. the entire game it just feels like you have no purpose your characters just keep going for no real reason what so ever. there is no clear objective or anything. the worst is the earlier parts of the game. the game after the opening. The game basically starts to takes things slow to have "character building moments" for you to get to know your character except they drag on way to long. This thing is thought your most of your characters are nothing special each is your stereotypical arch types found in most JRPG's which in itself isn't always a bad thing but the voice actors, with the exception of one, are horrible. The dialogue is even worse and i just hate all the character cause they all just seem like cardboard cut outs. As many have already said the game is very linear now i'm not going to be an idiot and proclaim it bad for just being linear but the things is if your going to be very linear it puts all the focus on the and as i stated above the story isn't good by any means. Overall i really wish i didn't by FF13 it was a complete waste of time and can't even remember the last time i had fun in the game.

quizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 quizee

[QUOTE="quizee"]you guys are missing my point, correct me if im wrong but this game was hyped quite a bit, heck some people treated it like the second coming of christ, and then its average at gamerankings is just 85%(for ps3). it just seems like maybe the game kind of failed and is just an average RPG. thats what im trying to figure outlundy86_4

exactly, so does it live up to expectations or not
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Skittles_McGee
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="quizee"]you guys are missing my point, correct me if im wrong but this game was hyped quite a bit, heck some people treated it like the second coming of christ, and then its average at gamerankings is just 85%(for ps3). it just seems like maybe the game kind of failed and is just an average RPG. thats what im trying to figure outquizee

If you think 85% is average, you live a very sad and disappointing life I imagine.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="quizee"]you guys are missing my point, correct me if im wrong but this game was hyped quite a bit, heck some people treated it like the second coming of christ, and then its average at gamerankings is just 85%(for ps3). it just seems like maybe the game kind of failed and is just an average RPG. thats what im trying to figure outquizee

Whose expectations?

Mine? Absolutely. The game is fun, difficult and interesting IMO.

Does everybody like it? Heck no. Does everybody like every game? Heck no.

quizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 quizee

while i would never say don't get a game because it isn't AAA. I have to say i'm absolutely hating FF13 right now. I'm almost done with the game and can't believe i've wasted 42 hours into this game. The battle system is tedious and to some degree plays it self with very little strategy or thought required. The story is even worse. the entire game it just feels like you have no purpose your characters just keep going for no real reason what so ever. there is no clear objective or anything. the worst is the middle the earlier parts of the game. the game basiclaly starts to takes things slow to have "character building moments" for you to get to know your character except they drag on way to long. This thing is thought your most of your characters are nothing special each is your stereotypical arch types found in most JRPG's which in itself isn't always a bad thing but the voice actors, with the exception of one, are horrible. The dialogue is even worse and i just hate all the character cause they all just seem like cardboard cut outs. As many have already said the game is very linear now i'm not going to be an idiot and proclaim it bad for just being linear but the things is if your going to be very linear it puts all the focus on the and as i stated above the story isn't good by any means. Overall i really wish i didn't by FF13 it was a complete waste of time and can't even remember the last time i had fun in the game.

Ragashahs
thank you, finally someone who answers my question and fully explains wat they think
majestix1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 majestix1988
Member since 2006 • 822 Posts

everyone has different taste if you are jrpg gamer play if your are wrpg gamer dont play it...if you are follow ranks play it buy it or rent it

sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sayonara89
Member since 2009 • 1985 Posts
No, AA games are just horrible
quizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 quizee

[QUOTE="quizee"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Skittles_McGee

If you think 85% is average, you live a very sad and disappointing life I imagine.

if u think smoking blunts everyday is disappointeing then sure lol

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Skittles_McGee

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="quizee"] exactly, so does it live up to expectations or notquizee

Yes I do, actually. Having to rely on some substance to make your day satisfying is pretty disappointing.
oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

no. if you are paying $60, you should get it on release date. otherwise you should wait, and FF13 shouldnt take too long to have a price drop. I bet greatest hit by xmas.

IMO,FF13 is not bad, but far from great. Story is okay except lightning is a mascot.

lafiro93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lafiro93
Member since 2010 • 2076 Posts

Dont, i am like what, 20-30 hours in? and i wish that i saved that money to buy Splinter Cell Conviction.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44014 Posts

The motto around here is:

No AAA..... No Way !! :P

skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#25 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts
[QUOTE="quizee"]

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] If you think 85% is average, you live a very sad and disappointing life I imagine.Skittles_McGee

Yes I do, actually. Having to rely on some substance to make your day satisfying is pretty disappointing.

And you have gained my respect in one sentence. Impressive (Not that it means much I imagine :P)
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Skittles_McGee
[QUOTE="skinny_man_69"][QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="quizee"] if u think smoking blunts everyday is disappointeing then sure lol

And you have gained my respect in one sentence. Impressive (Not that it means much I imagine :P)

The more of GUFU I have following me, the easier my coup d'etat of the union will be. I mean... um... what? I like pudding.
thecreechxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thecreechxxx
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

I would highly recommend getting it later when the price has dropped. Like someone said, it is on par with FF X-2. Regardless of the 8.5 rating, I'm finding it very hard to finish. IplayedGOW3 after about 9 hours into FF XIII and didn't go back until I finished GOW3.The story ispretty slow and not the best one. The Game is extremely linear even though the landscapes and scenery are amazing.I don't really like notbeing able to control all3 of the characters, to me that is a step backwards. You spend a lot ofbattles just hitting auto and switching paradigms over and over. Itdefinately lets you go on auto pilot. It's not the worst JRPG this gen, but if you didn't buy it already, I would just put it off when you don't have anything else to play. I have to say it is probably the worst FF, even though it is better than a lot of other JRPGS.

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
the first 15 hours or so are pretty boring....
I_AM_MEGATRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 I_AM_MEGATRON
Member since 2008 • 427 Posts
the question makes the TC look like a tool.
St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

How about renting the game first and seeing if actually it yourself, no point in letting other people's opinions persuade you, if you think it looks good and reviews say its not a bomb then give it a go.

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

Nope, everyone knows that if it isn't AAA, it isn't worth buying. As a matter of fact, I am thinking of reassessing my quality standard of games to include only AAAA

skinny_man_69

Wow, your game library is going to be small.

Anyway, you should get it if your a fan of FF. 8.5 Isn't a bad score.

-Grieves-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Grieves-
Member since 2007 • 1708 Posts

Within a week of buying this I had gone back to playing Wipeout HD and now I'm spending all my time on Just Cause 2. I will go back and finish this game at some point, but not while I have better games to spend my time on.

A mate of mine (who put 300+ hours into FFX and killed Penance) got as far as Chapter 8 before selling and is now having more fun on Star Ocean.

You should pick up this game so you can criticise it with authority, but you should wait and pick it up when it has come down in price and prepare yourself for disappointment.

ballistic3188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ballistic3188
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts
[QUOTE="-Grieves-"]

Within a week of buying this I had gone back to playing Wipeout HD and now I'm spending all my time on Just Cause 2. I will go back and finish this game at some point, but not while I have better games to spend my time on.

A mate of mine (who put 300+ hours into FFX and killed Penance) got as far as Chapter 8 before selling and is now having more fun on Star Ocean.

You should pick up this game so you can criticise it with authority, but you should wait and pick it up when it has come down in price and prepare yourself for disappointment.

i hope to god it isn't star ocean the last hope. because wow can you get anymore annoying charcters. sure hope and vanille are annoying but they will never stand to the annoying people like Lymle, Faize, Meracle, or Serah. hell i never want to make an items beause of the damn item lady. anyway to OP depends if you want a JRPG to play. as it is it isn't too bad as one in its series. it take some time to get good but as it is above the average JRPG. though i would porbably recommend Tales of vesperia over FFXIII
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts
if you are on the fence, rent it first. As you stated, there are lots of conflicting thoughts about this game. It is a beautiful game, but i think its boring.
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Barbie_Boy
Member since 2009 • 667 Posts

1. 85% is a good rating... no that it should matter
2. this game sucks, I got it like 1/4 off and a code to FF XIV (which i am still looking foward to^^) and I still feel WAY ripped off, with no doubt in my mind I can say that this game is one of the worst games I have ever played

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#37 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

It's AAA for me, so I'd consider getting it. FFXIII offers a different experience (like always) than the other FFs.

First off, the pacing of the story in the beginning is pretty bad. It's prolonged very much, and even if this gives us a chance to learn to know the character's better, many might lose patience in the first 20 hours or so. I liked the beginning, but the later part of the game is just so much better. Overall, though, the story does pick up and I grew very interested near the end. The characters themselves vary. I really like Sazh, Snow and Lightning, while I'm not a big fan of Hope, Fang or Vanille. They're all very well developed, though, and are very human in contrast to some other characters in the franchise. The graphics are out of this world. I have never seen a game that looks this good. It completely immerses you in the environment and leaves you shocked. In the same way, the sound is fantastic, both in regards to VA and score. There isn't as much variety in the sound department as in some of the previous installments, though. I'm a big fan of the battle system, it's fast and tactical, and you get surprisingly good at it as you progress. There are aspects you might even never notice in your first playthrough, which is great. The postgame is vast, and I value that highly in a JRPG. The hunts are cool and incredibly tough at times, and there are many secrets that are littered around the game, such as the Yaschas Massif and the Faultwarrens.

Overall, I think FFXIII is a fantastic package which is only marred by scattered pacing. But this game has a great metacritic rating and an8.5 from GS, so it's a safe buy either way. If you expect it to be just like any other FF, of course people will be disappointed, but that's not the point. It offers exactly what it promised six months before release.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="quizee"] exactly, so does it live up to expectations or notquizee

yea...that's pretty freakin sad and disappointing

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
Well the AAA has nothing to do with it, but I don't know if I can recommend it. On the plus side it's beautiful and has a lot of content, good music, that sorta thing. On the minus side, it's incredibly, achingly linear, it practically plays itself, feels like it's on rails. The combat at first seems overly simplistic. The first 15-20 hours of the game are tutorials. That might be too much for anyone. I own it and I keep trying to play more of it but it just can't compete with Just Cause 2, God of War 3 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 in terms of fun factor. I guess it really depends on the person. I am pretty sure it wasn't worth the astronomical hype.
abdu4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 abdu4
Member since 2003 • 4187 Posts
Just rent this game, but don't expect anything out of it. I didn't like the story in this one (it sucks), and except for the story there isnothing going on for this game, because they took out everything that made it an FF game.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#41 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

[QUOTE="quizee"]

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"] If you think 85% is average, you live a very sad and disappointing life I imagine.Skittles_McGee

Best post I've read in a long time :D

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="quizee"] if u think smoking blunts everyday is disappointeing then sure lol

quizee

well to me it sounds like you have the dissappointing life arguing on the internet, ya see fighting on the internet is like bein in the special olympics, even if you win, your still retarded

dude........your here too PLUS you smoke blunts everday

so what......you're uh......DOUBLE disappointment?

Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
Uhhh... If you are basing your purchases off of reviews, I think you shouldn't really be playing games at all. Everyones going to have a different opinion on every game. Its just a matter of if you decide to give it a chance or not, on the question, I can't say, i've never played it.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Yes, if you like JRPGs it is really good, fantastic looking game, excellent animations, the combat is better than most of the other FF games, dont listen to the crap about it just being "press X", they just dont have a clue and forget thats how all of them CONTROL. I didnt like the linear play of the firs 10-15 hours, but the story was alright to get past that point, after that it opens up quite nicely. But more improtantly why ask GS? or game critics... they are a pile of double standard fools that follow crap trends as much as fashion folk do. Take the arguements: "Boring Characters Characters" "Same Game (JRPG) Rehashed" "Typical JRPG Story" "Easy Gameplay" Aaaaaand yet.... Dragon Age is all of those things... its a glossy NWN .... but nowhere near as glossy as FF13 is over its predocessors.... DA has a boring copy paste story, ALOT of incredible boring moments and grind quests....... its graphics are not even near Mass Effects or FF13s and its combat is so godamn simple and boring its laughable.. Yet.... 9.5. Hmmm. beggining to notice a byast trend in the industry that awards certain games over others. "NO WORLD MAP" .... yea... neither did Dragon Age.... even less of one infact.
Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 9

#47 Kuromino
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts

I had a little look at the games you own and noticed a lack of Japanese role playing games, so it would be very difficult to recommend buying the game. I would suggest maybe renting the game first and see if it's something you would be interested in.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Of course not. Its not AAA. Why would you buy a game that's not AAA? I only buy the best. I don't have money to spend on the common tripe with the 8.5 and below. Mingle my glorious games with that common riff raff? Utter nonsense.Skittles_McGee
Forget that Skittles, if it's not 10 it's crap. You play the best or nothing!!!!
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="Skittles_McGee"][QUOTE="quizee"] if u think smoking blunts everyday is disappointeing then sure lol

quizee

well to me it sounds like you have the dissappointing life arguing on the internet, ya see fighting on the internet is like bein in the special olympics, even if you win, your still retarded

No, no it's just you.

Skittles is absolutely correct. You should find a more worthwhile pastime.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
I'm not sure yet because I've only played it for a couple hours but so far................it's not worth $60. That's all I'm gonna say.