Even Michel Ancel is not happy about the Rayman Legends delay.

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33737 posts) -

Source: Gamespot

Wow, you know Ubi f***ed up when more people in their dev teams are joining the fans in this mess.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by m_machine024 (15631 posts) -

Why would he be happy about it? The game was almost gold and now they are probably changing some level design for the PS3/360 versions, probably the reason for the delay. Shame. U___U

#3 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33737 posts) -

Why would he be happy about it? The game was almost gold and now they are probably changing some level design for the PS3/360 versions, probably the reason for the delay. Shame. U___U

m_machine024

Just saying as it shows how bad this is getting. But this time, there is no "anonymous dev" talking, it's one of Ubisoft's big names doing this publicly.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#4 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

The whole thing doesn't even make sense.  They have the finished Wii U version just sitting there, not making any money.  Then, they want to wait to release all 3 at the same time, put MORE work into the game changing the 360 and Ps3 versions (Which are going to get obvious design and graphical cuts), and by then have interest drop.

Why not just release the Wii U version now and work on the PS3 and 360 versions later? 

#5 Posted by finalstar2007 (27919 posts) -

The whole thing doesn't even make sense.  They have the finished Wii U version just sitting there, not making any money.  Then, they want to wait to release all 3 at the same time, put MORE work into the game changing the 360 and Ps3 versions (Which are going to get obvious design and graphical cuts), and by then have interest drop.

Why not just release the Wii U version now and work on the PS3 and 360 versions later? 

Chozofication

What i understand and the reason why is because of Microsoft, Microsoft has a policy that a game cannot release on xbox later without having something extra.. its either you release it same day as the other consoles or do not release it on xbox at all so im guessing thats why they had to delay it.. i know Ms has very strong policies about multiplats and the release dates so Ubi cant release the Wii U version first.... thats how what i think is the reason anyways

#6 Posted by aroxx_ab (13236 posts) -

Chozofication

Because Microsoft payed Ubi and had requirements like "release it same time and at same quality minimum than other platforms". We seen it before...

#7 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

finalstar2007

What i understand and the reason why is because of Microsoft, Microsoft has a policy that a game cannot release on xbox later without having something extra.. its either you release it same day as the other consoles or do not release it on xbox at all so im guessing thats why they had to delay it.. i know Ms has very strong policies about multiplats and the release dates so Ubi cant release the Wii U version first.... thats how what i think is the reason anyways

Wow.  I never knew.

Wooow.  Makes sense when you look at all the timed exclusive crap MS pays for I guess.

#8 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (9788 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

finalstar2007

That's actually a Sony policy if I remember correctly.
#9 Posted by nightshade869 (3457 posts) -
As a PS3/360 owner....I am happy....
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
#10 Posted by Obviously_Right (5331 posts) -

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Xaero_Gravity

Nope, its an MS one. I remember hearing about it when Joe Danger came out on XBLA.

#11 Posted by PhazonBlazer (12013 posts) -

Ubi$oft.

#12 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

As a PS3/360 owner....I am happy....nightshade869

Doesn't really impact you in any way.

#13 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

You shouldn't be.  You're getting a bastardized version and they're fisting the designers.

I imagine you'll be getting something awfully similar to Origins.  The controller is what made Legends unique and intuitive.

#14 Posted by 720OwnsPS4 (132 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

aroxx_ab

Because Microsoft payed Ubi and had requirements like "release it same time and at same quality minimum than other platforms". We seen it before...

I don't think Microsoft paid Ubisoft anything for this game. Origins barely sold anything on 360. This is a business move by Ubisoft due to nobody buying a Wii U.
#15 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (9788 posts) -

[QUOTE="Xaero_Gravity"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

Obviously_Right

Nope, its an MS one. I remember hearing about it when Joe Danger came out on XBLA.

I would have sworn I heard the same thing in regards to Sony when Tales of Vesperia went over to the PS3 in Japan.
#16 Posted by finalstar2007 (27919 posts) -

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Xaero_Gravity

Thats Sony Japan.. Sony America dont have a policy like that but seems like a lot of articals are coming up saying Microsoft is to blame so i guess i was right lol.

MS has a policy to either make a game exclusive or timed exclusive or never release it on their system.. a game cannot release later on xbox, it has to come out same day as the other systems.

link: http://www.nintendo-nation.net/microsoft-policy-rayman-legends-delay/

#17 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (9788 posts) -
Way to go Microsoft.
#18 Posted by aroxx_ab (13236 posts) -

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

720OwnsPS4

Because Microsoft payed Ubi "and/or" had requirements like "release it same time and at same quality minimum than other platforms". We seen it before...

I don't think Microsoft paid Ubisoft anything for this game. Origins barely sold anything on 360. This is a business move by Ubisoft due to nobody buying a Wii U.

Maybe should had added "and/or" there, i dont know exact info in this deal but i can bet my right leg this is Microsoft fault in one way or another. But sure WiiU's low sales maybe made this deal easier to accept for Ubi.

#19 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

Really is a shame people are happy about these kinds of things. A developer holding back a finished game so that it can be released simultaneously on all platforms...what does the game releasing now on Wii U do overall? Nothing. Just makes it so we can play it now. I couldn't care less if it's exlusive or not. It won't be the same game on Wii U as on the others.

#20 Posted by TheEroica (17279 posts) -
As a fan i can see be irritated but from a business perspective i xant blame them for protecting their ip feom being released on an underperforming platfotm
#21 Posted by AcidThunder (2332 posts) -

that's one fvcked up policy Microsoft has

#22 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

I certainly won't be buying it on any platform now. If I do it'll be as a used copy, just to make them angry. I'd still buy it on Wii U so as to have the superior version...but yea, don't really plan on buying it anymore. I'm hoping the Wii U sales move past the expected launch blues that all consoles go through soon and pick up heavily (like with the 3DS) when more games are released and then Rayman Legends doesn't sell at all on any platform. :) Just to show Ubisoft what they did was wrong.

#23 Posted by timbers_WSU (6076 posts) -

Can't blame him for being mad but at the same time it wasn't like the game was gonna fly off the shelf anyways. Origins is one of the best games released in the past few years and it sold poorly. Maybe Ubisoft is actually gonna try and market the damn thing?

#24 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

BS move from Ubi.

Just release the game for the WiiU now and port it to the other systems later, perhaps with some extra stuff...

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#25 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

If the game is nearly done it really should have been released for the WiiU, holding back on the date just to make the other versions look better is a really slimey move.

#26 Posted by FastEddie2121 (3081 posts) -
The fan outrage has morphed into a double edged sword. Boycotting the game doesn't do the people who actually made the game any good and buying the game supports Ubisoft. I think the whole thing is silly. Just wait for the game and stop whining. Life will move forward, even if the wii u owners have to weather this gaming drought that they find themselves in.
#27 Posted by Icarian (1751 posts) -

[QUOTE="Xaero_Gravity"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

Obviously_Right

It's both. Both, Sony and MS demand that developers add some extra content for late ports.

#28 Posted by hiphops_savior (8438 posts) -
The fan outrage has morphed into a double edged sword. Boycotting the game doesn't do the people who actually made the game any good and buying the game supports Ubisoft. I think the whole thing is silly. Just wait for the game and stop whining. Life will move forward, even if the wii u owners have to weather this gaming drought that they find themselves in. FastEddie2121
I'm not crying for the game to be boycotted. The whole is silly because Ubisoft has an entire market to themselves. Playing Rayman Legends on the WIi U kiosks was what sold me on the game. I already had the game preordered and ready to play on my study break. Then Ubisoft pulls this move that left even the developers fuming. Rayman Legends is in a perfect storm to succeed on the Wii U at this time. Nintendo has given the game every opportunity to succeed, and all Ubisoft does is delay the game for no reason other than to hit the holiday sales. Even if Rayman Legends sell poorly initially, you can always release on other consoles or even make an iPad app based on Murphy.
#29 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

Chozofication
I got a feeling they told Nintendo they were going to release Rayman Legends on all 3 systems and Nintendo made a fit so they said fine now were just going to release all 3 AT THE SAME TIME..
#30 Posted by gensigns (1487 posts) -

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

[QUOTE="Xaero_Gravity"]That's actually a Sony policy if I remember correctly.Icarian

It's both. Both, Sony and MS demand that developers add some extra content for late ports.

Well I guess it's okay now if Sony does it.... 

#31 Posted by savagetwinkie (7981 posts) -

[QUOTE="Icarian"]

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

gensigns

it's not both, he mentions being charged for extra disks on 360, its a deterrent not a demand. Then goes onto saying sony demands extra content for late ports. They are completely different issues.
#32 Posted by redluigi11 (89 posts) -

and gta5 is just going to steamroll it 

#33 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33737 posts) -

and gta5 is just going to steamroll it 

redluigi11
Yep. :( And some Wii U owners are boycotting this by cancelling their pre-orders and choosing to buy something like LEGO City Undercover.
#34 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29673 posts) -

You know it's messed up when the Developers and the CREATOR of the Franchise are not happy about the delay.

Ubisoft, just release the darn game already, let the Xbox 360 and PS3 get 2nd helpings.

#35 Posted by Icarian (1751 posts) -

[QUOTE="gensigns"]

[QUOTE="Icarian"]

savagetwinkie

it's not both, he mentions being charged for extra disks on 360, its a deterrent not a demand. Then goes onto saying sony demands extra content for late ports. They are completely different issues.

I was just proving that Sony also demands extra content. They were blaming MS alone with their fanboy goggles on.

#36 Posted by savagetwinkie (7981 posts) -

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="gensigns"]

Icarian

I was just proving that Sony also demands extra content. They were blaming MS alone with their fanboy goggles on.

microsoft usually pays developers for that though, sony blocks developers. Still different issues.
#37 Posted by Heil68 (57858 posts) -
Thanks MS.
#38 Posted by p3anut (6205 posts) -

It really is messed up for all those Wii U owners who were excited to play the game at the end of this month. I find it funny how everyone is talking trash at the Uplay Community at Miiverse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY7JmR7egYg

#39 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29673 posts) -

It really is messed up for all those Wii U owners who were excited to play the game at the end of this month. I find it funny how everyone is talking trash at the Uplay Community at Miiverse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY7JmR7egYg

p3anut

I'm pretty sure all of this rage is justified, since the game is FINISHED, done, ready to be printed and sent to stores (if stores don't already have them).

Ubisoft is just giving WiiU owners, The Developers, and (maybe) Nintendo the finger doing this move.

Also a lot of the Miiverse posts point out an interesting fact.

It's okay to delay WiiU games and port over to PS3 and 360, but it's not okay to Delay PS3 and 360 games and Port over to WiiU.

And they wonder why WiiU is doing horribly.

#40 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Shielder7

I got a feeling they told Nintendo they were going to release Rayman Legends on all 3 systems and Nintendo made a fit so they said fine now were just going to release all 3 AT THE SAME TIME..

Nah.  Nintendo wouldn't throw a fit about that.  They kind of look at 3rd party software like - whatever comes comes.  They mostly focus on their first party software and their hardware caters to their teams.  If they cared that much about 3rd party software you'd be seeing a much different console than Wii and Wii U...

#41 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11205 posts) -

Michel Ancel is one of the best developers in the industry. His actions here just help to cement that. I hate what ubisoft is doing to that brilliant man. In order to create Rayman Origins the way he wanted to he had to go off the radar for a year or so with a tiny development team so that the higher ups wouldn't screw with it. He even said he didn't care if people liked it or bought it. What mattered to him was getting something HE was proud of out there.

More developers need to be like Michel Ancel

#42 Posted by KungfuKitten (24675 posts) -
Way to go Microsoft.Xaero_Gravity
Yeah they don't know much about gaming but they're at least good at delaying stuff.
#43 Posted by Darth-Samus (3995 posts) -

[QUOTE="nightshade869"]As a PS3/360 owner....I am happy....Chozofication

You shouldn't be.  You're getting a bastardized version and they're fisting the designers.

I imagine you'll be getting something awfully similar to Origins.  The controller is what made Legends unique and intuitive.

Agreed.

#44 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

As a PS3/360/Wii U owner... I am NOT happy.

#45 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

The fan outrage has morphed into a double edged sword. Boycotting the game doesn't do the people who actually made the game any good and buying the game supports Ubisoft. I think the whole thing is silly. Just wait for the game and stop whining. Life will move forward, even if the wii u owners have to weather this gaming drought that they find themselves in. FastEddie2121
My gaming calander was open for playing the game at the end of February, but now with the delay, in September my priorities will be on GTAV, not Rayman Legends. That's just too damn bad for Ubisoft I guess. *shrugs*

#46 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

FF13  :cry:

Bayonetta  :cry:

#47 Posted by Kandlegoat (3147 posts) -

Michael Ancel needs to get a move on with Beyond Good and Evil 2.

#48 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29673 posts) -

FF13  :cry: (Butthurt Sony Fanboys thinking Final Fantasy would be PS exclusive)

Bayonetta  :cry: (Butthurt Anti Nintendo Fanboys not knowing without Nintendo there would not be a Bayo2)

Gue1

Both are completely different situation seeing as Bayonetta 2 is still being developed and Final Fantasy 13 was announce simultaneously.

Rayman Legends for the WiiU is FINISHED, Done, Complete, and the Developers worked hard and possibly long nights just so it can be released in Feburary, but Ubisoft thought releasing for the PS3 and 360 would be "better for the fans" and they couldn't be bothered to release an already finished game now so a delay was made.

Then they try to make it all up by setting up with a "New 'Exclusive' Demo" for WiiU owners as compensation.

when that Demo comes out the game will have 3 Demos on one system. THREE. (Retail Demo, eShop Demo, 'Exclusive' Demo.)

#49 Posted by locopatho (23133 posts) -

Michel Ancel is one of the best developers in the industry. His actions here just help to cement that. I hate what ubisoft is doing to that brilliant man. In order to create Rayman Origins the way he wanted to he had to go off the radar for a year or so with a tiny development team so that the higher ups wouldn't screw with it. He even said he didn't care if people liked it or bought it. What mattered to him was getting something HE was proud of out there.

More developers need to be like Michel Ancel

Pikminmaniac
Yeah it can't really work like that. You can't let devs do whatever they want, spending other peoples time and money to make something that won't make back it's money. You'll end up like THQ if you manage like that. You might get a unique indie gem, you might get the next Duke Nukem Forever or Too Human :?
#50 Posted by locopatho (23133 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

FF13  :cry: (Butthurt Sony Fanboys thinking Final Fantasy would be PS exclusive)

Bayonetta  :cry: (Butthurt Anti Nintendo Fanboys not knowing without Nintendo there would not be a Bayo2)

LegatoSkyheart

Both are completely different situation seeing as Bayonetta 2 is still being developed and Final Fantasy 13 was announce simultaneously.

Rayman Legends for the WiiU is FINISHED, Done, Complete, and the Developers worked hard and possibly long nights just so it can be released in Feburary, but Ubisoft thought releasing for the PS3 and 360 would be "better for the fans" and they couldn't be bothered to release an already finished game now so a delay was made.

Then they try to make it all up by setting up with a "New 'Exclusive' Demo" for WiiU owners as compensation.

when that Demo comes out the game will have 3 Demos on one system. THREE. (Retail Demo, eShop Demo, 'Exclusive' Demo.)

There's really no such thing as 3rd party exclusives any more tho. Unless it was published by NIntendo like Bayo 2, I don't see the surprise at this