Eurogamer: Microsoft's final sales pitch for Xbox One X falls flat

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

...It was hard to make head or tail of what Microsoft's Gamescom show had set out to achieve. In an hour and a half of reheated E3 trailers and recaps, there was perhaps one announcement of a genuine exclusive for Xbox: a vertical console stand for the day one edition of the Xbox One X, as unpackaged by Major Nelson in an abandoned office on the other side of the world.

It all brought up the same question that kept recurring again and again - who is this thing for, and what's Microsoft setting out to achieve with the Xbox One X? Its mantra, repeated ad infinitum in official material, is that this is The World's Most Powerful Console, and of that there's little doubt. It's the world's most handsome, too, a beautifully designed and improbably minuscule slab of technology that'd sit proudly under any television set, but while Microsoft's engineers have hit it out of the park, there's the nagging feeling that elsewhere in Redmond things aren't running quite so smoothly.

..At this point in the console lifecycle, Microsoft needs more than prettier versions of multiplatform games if it's to make serious inroads into Sony's considerable lead this generation.

It needs new and exciting games, and just one reason to make the Xbox One X essential - an Uncharted, or a Breath of the Wild, to make the console's case for it. Forza Motorsport 7, as fine as it looks, doesn't quite cut it - alongside Gears of War and Halo, it feels like yesterday's news, and not the shot in the arm that's needed right now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-21-microsofts-final-sales-pitch-for-xbox-one-x-falls-flat

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Okay.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It would help if they actually had exclusive games to show off the hardware. As of now they literally have nothing but Forza 7. Not many people are interested in a $500 multiplat box.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts

I thought it was ok myself so whatever.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Amen

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I bet Eurogamer doesn't get the next Xbox tech reveal exclusive. That article is pretty harsh.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The gaming media sure loves to put down xbox. Geez. Who is this for? It's for hardcore gamers who prize graphics above all else. If you love multiplats this is where you'll get the best versions of those. PS4 gets ONE good year of exclusives and they forget it sold the last 5 years on multiplats alone.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Eurogamer is pro-playstation fake news site

everyone knows this

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

They should have invented more terms like the Cloud, the DX12, the Console Launch Exclusives and the milliard more BS terms they have to come up to artificially hype something that has so little appeal. I think their uncompromised True4k didn't cut it since people noticed it was a lie to quickly.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

The gaming media sure loves to put down xbox. Geez. Who is this for? It's for hardcore gamers who prize graphics above all else. If you love multiplats this is where you'll get the best versions of those. PS4 gets ONE good year of exclusives and they forget it sold the last 5 years on multiplats alone.

Anyone that prizes graphics above all else is a PC gamer.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I thought worlds most powerful console was pretty easy to understand.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: Hardcore gamers prize graphics above all else since when?

This is what we all knew was the case. It's a marvelous console with unfortunately little worth playing on.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Sgt_Crow: Since they started the lol900p.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

How can Halo & Gears & Forza be yesterdays news but in the same breath bring up Zelda and Uncharted LOL

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Who is X1X for?

Easy console elitist, the people that still view PC gaming as basement dwelling, neckbeards that have no life. They are the people that think they are awesome or are awesome a games like COD, RB6, Overwatch, Battlefield, etc and those are the only games they play all year every year over and over. Anyone that's played online has played with these people. They think they are the jocks/cool kids of gaming, they don't play other games, just what's hot online or what they are good at.

Believe me there are tons of these people, I have friends that are these people, I'm borderline one of theses people. I'd say I branch out and play more games through out they year than most of my friends.

They aren't the gaming community people, they don't nerd out to gaming and want to know about it. They don't SW and Neogaf or care to. They log on play some MP with friends talk shit and have a good time. Some play every single day, some just on weekends. That's it, those are the people MS are trying to get back, and target with Xbox One X. They are also the ones duped by timed exclusives, swayed by streamers, and hype.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

It was a very weak showing though with a lot of the E3 footage just shown over again...

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@Sgt_Crow

@metalslimenite

@NathanDrakeSwag

So I just imagined all the ps4 owners bragging that multiplats looked better than on the xbox one? "Omg its only 900p!"

And I also imagined people slamming Nintendo for not being high tech enough in graphics?

That's just PC gamers...right right....

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:

So they should ignore the total lack of exclusives,high price and exclusive - not really exclusive bullcrap from MS.?

If you prize graphics above all else get a PC consoles are not for you.

Is also where you will have to wait months to get extra content you know that things lemmings use to hype last gen?

Well look at it this way the PS4 has had 1 good year the xbox one has non yet.

Also 5 years? Lay down the whisky bro this generation is not even 4 years old,but in every single of those years the PS4 has top the xbox one exclusive wise and score wise.

@drlostrib said:

everyone knows this

Stop feeding the lemms..hahahaahaa

@jtothamtothap said:

How can Halo & Gears & Forza be yesterdays news but in the same breath bring up Zelda and Uncharted LOL

Probably because those games even that old manage on its last chapter to keep a very high quality,Halo gears and Forza has not,FH3 is a spin off,but the main series,halo and gears are no longer what it use to be,this series use to be 90+ cream of the crop now they are not any more.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JtoThaMtoThaP

@tormentos said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

So they should ignore the total lack of exclusives,high price and exclusive - not really exclusive bullcrap from MS.?

If you prize graphics above all else get a PC consoles are not for you.

Is also where you will have to wait months to get extra content you know that things lemmings use to hype last gen?

Well look at it this way the PS4 has had 1 good year the xbox one has non yet.

Also 5 years? Lay down the whisky bro this generation is not even 4 years old,but in every single of those years the PS4 has top the xbox one exclusive wise and score wise.

@drlostrib said:

everyone knows this

Stop feeding the lemms..hahahaahaa

@jtothamtothap said:

Probably because those games even that old manage on its last chapter to keep a very high quality,Halo gears and Forza has not,FH3 is a spin off,but the main series,halo and gears are no longer what it use to be,this series use to be 90+ cream of the crop now they are not any more.

Pretty stupid statement....Forza is the top racer, Gears 4 performed very well and Halo 5 is still going strong with MP. Stop the bs.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56032 Posts

It's simple, the damn Xbox One brand needs fucking killer app new IP games! That's the main problem here. Xbox One X maybe the most powerful console around, but it's still has no exclusive games to back up the system. Did anyone honestly thought PS4 got through on it's own because it was powerful at launch? It had freaking good exclusive games to back it up, not because of it's power.

Not having Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Halo 6, and not even a new IP that was Scalebound is really gonna put the brand behind again.

Yeah I'm being harsh here, but when you look at both PS4 & Nintendo Switch, you can see why there both successful, they have there own unique exclusive games to carrying the console despite Switch is weaker then the other 2 consoles.

I'm sorry but when it comes to MS, I'm cool with them but when you got no new IP exclusive games your gonna get tough love from me.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

MS and sony really should have waited. what a waste.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bread_or_Decide

@davillain- said:

It's simple, the damn Xbox One brand needs fucking killer app new IP games! That's the main problem here. Xbox One X maybe the most powerful console around, but it's still has no exclusive games to back up the system. Did anyone honestly thought PS4 got through on it's own because it was powerful at launch? It had freaking good exclusive games to back it up, not because of it's power.

Not having Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Halo 6, and not even a new IP that was Scalebound is really gonna put the brand behind again.

Yeah I'm being harsh here, but when you look at both PS4 & Nintendo Switch, you can see why there both successful, they have there own unique exclusive games to carrying the console despite Switch is weaker then the other 2 consoles.

I'm sorry but when it comes to MS, I'm cool with them but when you got no new IP exclusive games your gonna get tough love from me.

Well, sony fans bragged about power for awhile. Before they had any real exclusives to talk about. People also poop on Nintendo all the time for being underpowered. So I dunno, gamers seemed to love graphics until the xbox one x came out.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Oh ikingbobi getting upset over ms again.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tormentos

@jtothamtothap said:

Pretty stupid statement....Forza is the top racer, Gears 4 performed very well and Halo 5 is still going strong with MP. Stop the bs.

NO one saying it is not,fact is when you have 1 racer a year you simply saturate the market,Forza has transform into the COD of racers but without the sales.

Halo 5 gears 4 and most forza games are OK games by this gen in fact Halo 5 is the lowest rated in the main series since the series started.

So no is not bullshit is a FACT backed by scores.

Funny enough Uncharted actually outsold Halo 5...lol

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Nice opinion piece!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56032 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Well, sony fans bragged about power for awhile. Before they had any real exclusives to talk about. People also poop on Nintendo all the time for being underpowered. So I dunno, gamers seemed to love graphics until the xbox one x came out.

We both know why Wii U didn't do so well, Nintendo send out the wrong message and kept the Wii name and they thought the name was cool at the time. Gamers are now falling for 4K graphics then they are for games.

My point is, MS needs to have new games if they wanna be compatible with Sony. Look at Charizard1605 thread when he posted Switch will have more exclusive games then Xbox One, now that's a shame, even for MS to come light with exclusive.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Here is a XB1/Windows 10 game that was shown.

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/disneyland-adventures-coming-xbox-one-windows-10-october-31

http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Disneyland-Adventures_08-20-17.jpg

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

It would help if they actually had exclusive games to show off the hardware. As of now they literally have nothing but Forza 7. Not many people are interested in a $500 multiplat box.

Why would you not spend $500 today so you're ready to play Crackdown 3 in 6 months lol

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JtoThaMtoThaP

@tormentos said:
@jtothamtothap said:

NO one saying it is not,fact is when you have 1 racer a year you simply saturate the market,Forza has transform into the COD of racers but without the sales.

Halo 5 gears 4 and most forza games are OK games by this gen in fact Halo 5 is the lowest rated in the main series since the series started.

So no is not bullshit is a FACT backed by scores.

Funny enough Uncharted actually outsold Halo 5...lol

You just did say that....you said they are not high quality, which indeed is BS

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Considering that MS was able to literally put a flaming turd in a box and sell-through the holidays in 2013, I have little doubt that they will move the Scorpio fairly well this year. If MS feels they can flip coin in making their fanbase buy hardware updates then that is what they will do. You can forget XBox exclusives at this point, though. They are, ironically, almost completely divested of unique software for the system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I read it. It's a really funny article if nothing else, lol. Pulls no punches.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Yep this.

People (cows, media etc) seemed to have suddenly forgotten how important console power was to PS4 early on in the generation. The media/cows raved on & on about how the XB1 was lacking in this department... but now they like to downplay it & say it accounted for little, but that's bullsh**. XB1 X having the best multiplats on console (and better than alot of PCs too) is a big deal to a lot of gamers. People like knowing they have the best. Even "casual" gamers.

That's the sales pitch... it's not rocket science. The X is for gamers who have no interest in PC (which is a lot of gamers), and want the best version of multiplats (which was very important at the start of the gen).

No, it won't change things in the short term, but it'll definitely help Xbox in the mid-long term I expect.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

Good! Nice to hear!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Yep this.

People (cows, media etc) seemed to have suddenly forgotten how important console power was to PS4 early on in the generation. The media/cows raved on & on about how the XB1 was lacking in this department... but now they like to downplay it & say it accounted for little, but that's bullsh**. XB1 X having the best multiplats on console (and better than alot of PCs too) is a big deal to a lot of gamers. People like knowing they have the best. Even "casual" gamers.

That's the sales pitch... it's not rocket science. The X is for gamers who have no interest in PC (which is a lot of gamers), and want the best version of multiplats (which was very important at the start of the gen).

No, it won't change things in the short term, but it'll definitely help Xbox in the mid-long term I expect.

Sure the ps4 power was important this generation but it launched at 100$ less, not at 120$ more.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

I wish MS and Sony would both cut the crap and make games for the OX and the Pro that don't have to run on the One and the PS4. Especially VR is held back by that. Otherwise Fallout VR, Elite Dangerous VR and No Man's Sky VR for the PS would have long been announced.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

I bet Digital foundry is going grit their teeth when they have to give the nod to the best console version to the Xbox One X. lol

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Whogamer???

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Of course it did. Its Microsoft. Only lems would ever expect a different outcome

The XBox One X is just as much of a fail as the original one was. Until MS understands that GOOD exclusives move consoles, not hardware, they'll never win a gen. Do they think the Switch would sell as much as it did if Zelda wasnt as good as it was? ah

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I got xbox one x for mutliplat multiplayer/co-op games and MS first party games geared towards that. I dont care about MS not having an Uncharted or Zelda. Stick with Nintendo and Sony if you want that crap.

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EndofAugust
Member since 2017 • 812 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Of course it did. Its Microsoft. Only lems would ever expect a different outcome

The XBox One X is just as much of a fail as the original one was. Until MS understands that GOOD exclusives move consoles, not hardware, they'll never win a gen. Do they think the Switch would sell as much as it did if Zelda wasnt as good as it was? ah

Multiplats move consoles, you're living in a fantasy world. Exclusives are a bonus here and there, this isn't the 90's anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Anything outside of a stack of new exclusives would have fallen flat. And we all know how many exclusives they showed soooooooooooooo........yeah.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Whogamer???

Never heard of Eurogamer?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tormentos

@jtothamtothap said:

You just did say that....you said they are not high quality, which indeed is BS

Probably because those games even that old manage on its last chapter to keep a very high quality,Halo gears and Forza has not

Very HIgh quality Uncharted 4 has 93% on meta Gears,Halo and most forza games this gen are mid to low 80's all with the exception of FH3 which has 90+ and F5 which has an all time low for the series of 79%.

So no is not BS unless you can prove all those games scored as high as Uncharted 4 did or Zelda.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tormentos

@endofaugust said:

Multiplats move consoles, you're living in a fantasy world. Exclusives are a bonus here and there, this isn't the 90's anymore.

HAHHHAAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

How low lemmings have fallen...lol

So it is a coincidence that MS has less exclusives than the PS4 this year by a truckload and the sales of the PS4 are doing great even with the switch performing great as well.?

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EndofAugust
Member since 2017 • 812 Posts

@tormentos said:
@endofaugust said:

HAHHHAAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

How low lemmings have fallen...lol

So it is a coincidence that MS has less exclusives than the PS4 this year by a truckload and the sales of the PS4 are doing great even with the switch performing great as well.?

The sales of the PlayStation 4 have remained largely unchanged even with the second wind of exclusives it got this year, it's selling at essentially the same frequency it always was even when it had very few notable exclusives over the last three years and was propped up by multiplatform games.

Exclusives are a 3 percentile, THREE PERCENTILE in terms of install base attachment for this system. Multi-platform games constantly dominate the charts, they almost entirely always make up the charts, it's just a game of numbers my friend and exclusives are a drop in the multiplat pond.

Sony just lost their multiplat edge, it's going to be very interesting from here on out.

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jv303
Member since 2014 • 545 Posts

@endofaugust: Multiplats only move consoles if someone doesn't have a console capable of playing them.