ESA Study: 59% of Americans play games, 68% on consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (21420 posts) -

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/27/esa-study-59-of-americans-play-games-68-on-consoles/

"Ladies. Gentlemen. Look to your left. Now look to your right. Data from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) suggests that nearly 2 out of 3 Americans - 59 percent, to be exact - play games. That's right. One of you is a non-believer. Shuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

Yes, the ESA's data for 2014 has been released, and there's plenty more numbers to be read, analyzed and scrutinized. For example, 68 percent of respondents reported they they play games on consoles, making them the most-played dedicated gaming device. Smartphones are catching up, however. The ESA's data reports that 53 percent of Americans play games on their smartphones, an increase of 22 percent since 2012.

While, according to the ESA, 95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play, only 56 percent of parents found video games to be a positive part of their child's life. That may not be too big of an issue however, as the average gamer is 31 years old, and has been playing games for 14 years.

There's plenty more data to be found in the ESA's full report, if you're feeling so inclined."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes a lot of sense to me. I remember how people used to say video games were just for kids. Now it's pretty much a big part of our culture. I also don't feel old anymore lol. Your thoughts, SW?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#2 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12095 posts) -

How many of those games being played are real video games and not some mobile shit though.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#3 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (4694 posts) -

Console Domination Continuation.

Avatar image for epic-gamerz
#4 Posted by Epic-gamerz (222 posts) -

PC gamers would've been part of the count if they'd come out of the basement dwelling

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#5 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (21128 posts) -

Depends too were the bulk of them little rascals are gaming on. If I canvassed the gamers among my family and relatives, the little kiddies outnumber us adults and older teens by more than 2 to 1.

Avatar image for Blabadon
#6 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

Well, here's hoping smartphones somehow become more positive influences than what they look like so far.

Avatar image for melonfarmerz
#7 Edited by melonfarmerz (1294 posts) -

@princessgomez92: Well the majority of gamers are still kids so I'd be surprised if consoles weren't dominating. This isn't and insult, there is no kid who's parents will buy them an 800 dollar PC if they could just get a 400 dollar console.

Side note, i'm quite curious as to what stats in asian and europe are, where PC's much more popular

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
#8 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) -

And most Europeans plays games on PC than Console.

This proves a fact that USA is cheap country. They always buy what is cheapest, while Europe buys what cost a lot and is most quality.

Americans are not nation. They are people around the world, all immigrants in there.

Avatar image for inb4uall
#10 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

What is really interesting is that 53% of households play on a smartphone, and that segment of the market is only really a few years old, with phenomenal growth rates. Mobile takeover of gaming confirmed.

Until phones can offer games of equal quality to consoles, PC that will never happen. The games target completely different consumers and markets.

Avatar image for xboxdone74
#11 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

PC Beggars about to have nuclear meltdown.

Avatar image for Spartan070
#12 Edited by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

Well the majority of gamers are still kids so I'd be surprised if consoles weren't dominating.

@SolidGame_basic said:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/27/esa-study-59-of-americans-play-games-68-on-consoles/

"That may not be too big of an issue however, as the average gamer is 31 years old, and has been playing games for 14 years."

Avatar image for xboxdone74
#13 Edited by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@Spartan070 said:

@melonfarmerz said:

Well the majority of gamers are still kids so I'd be surprised if consoles weren't dominating.

@SolidGame_basic said:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/27/esa-study-59-of-americans-play-games-68-on-consoles/

"That may not be too big of an issue however, as the average gamer is 31 years old, and has been playing games for 14 years."

Avatar image for Suppaman100
#15 Edited by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

and rest of the world play PC more.

my country is not rich. but majority gamers here are PC gamers.

Where you from?

Avatar image for jake44
#16 Posted by jake44 (2085 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

and rest of the world play PC more.

my country is not rich. but majority gamers here are PC gamers.

Where you from?

He lives in the past.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
#17 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) -

@jake44 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

and rest of the world play PC more.

my country is not rich. but majority gamers here are PC gamers.

Where you from?

He lives in the past.

Change the past to save the future.

Avatar image for Merex760
#18 Posted by Merex760 (4378 posts) -

US has always been dominated by consoles. While in Europe, PC gaming is extremely popular. Massive LAN gatherings happen there like Dreamhack and The Gathering. Nothing of that scale PC wise happens in the US. Quakecon is probably the closest.

Avatar image for MBirdy88
#19 Posted by MBirdy88 (11462 posts) -

Gotta love the PC comments.... American's will take shallow convenience over depthful enthusiast devices? shock-horror? *rolls eyes*.

Avatar image for mr-powers
#20 Edited by Mr-Powers (508 posts) -

OUCH

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#21 Posted by SolidGame_basic (21420 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

And most Europeans plays games on PC than Console.

This proves a fact that USA is cheap country. They always buy what is cheapest, while Europe buys what cost a lot and is most quality.

Americans are not nation. They are people around the world, all immigrants in there.

but according to SW PC is suppose to be cheaper than consoles, remember?

Avatar image for FoxbatAlpha
#22 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

Did you know? 98% of us will die at one point of our lives or another.

Avatar image for kipsta77
#23 Posted by kipsta77 (1119 posts) -

lol. 'Murica.

Avatar image for BattleSpectre
#24 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

and rest of the world play PC more.

my country is not rich. but majority gamers here are PC gamers.

Where you from?

I find it ironic how he never replies when he gets called out. He'll only reply if it suits him. My money is on him living in America.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#25 Edited by LJS9502_basic (158758 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

And most Europeans plays games on PC than Console.

This proves a fact that USA is cheap country. They always buy what is cheapest, while Europe buys what cost a lot and is most quality.

Americans are not nation. They are people around the world, all immigrants in there.

I have a gaming PC, a laptop, several consoles and will upgrade to more consoles when games come out, a couple tablets, and a smart phone. I'm not the only one in the US that does that. So maybe it's Europe that's cheap.

Avatar image for Kinthalis
#26 Posted by Kinthalis (5502 posts) -

@epic-gamerz said:

PC gamers would've been part of the count if they'd come out of the basement dwelling

Clueless consolite, news at 11!

ESA combines PC and console into one category for a number of it's reports.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#27 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

How many of those games being played are real video games and not some mobile shit though.

I think you'd be surprised. Games are accepted nowadays. It isn't uncommon for someone you may not think to own a game console to have one near their tv. It is part of the reason games like COD and Uncharted are so popular. They allow for casual thrills, or to be completed in a weekend. One can call them kiddie games, but in reality a lot of the AAA games are also made for the gamer from the 80s that still buys and plays games. They just no longer have the time to invest in more lengthy games.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#28 Posted by LJS9502_basic (158758 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

How many of those games being played are real video games and not some mobile shit though.

I think you'd be surprised. Games are accepted nowadays. It isn't uncommon for someone you may not think to own a game console to have one near their tv. It is part of the reason games like COD and Uncharted are so popular. They allow for casual thrills, or to be completed in a weekend. One can call them kiddie games, but in reality a lot of the AAA games are also made for the gamer from the 80s that still buys and plays games. They just no longer have the time to invest in more lengthy games.

What does that have to do with his comment about mobile games?

Avatar image for stationplay_4
#29 Posted by stationplay_4 (444 posts) -

"95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play"

LOL what a load of shit.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#30 Posted by LJS9502_basic (158758 posts) -

@stationplay_4 said:

"95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play"

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

Avatar image for stationplay_4
#31 Posted by stationplay_4 (444 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stationplay_4 said:

"95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play"

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

grand theft auto online

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
#32 Posted by LJS9502_basic (158758 posts) -

@stationplay_4 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stationplay_4 said:

"95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play"

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

grand theft auto online

Sorry...that really isn't proof of your statement dude.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#33 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Heirren said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

How many of those games being played are real video games and not some mobile shit though.

I think you'd be surprised. Games are accepted nowadays. It isn't uncommon for someone you may not think to own a game console to have one near their tv. It is part of the reason games like COD and Uncharted are so popular. They allow for casual thrills, or to be completed in a weekend. One can call them kiddie games, but in reality a lot of the AAA games are also made for the gamer from the 80s that still buys and plays games. They just no longer have the time to invest in more lengthy games.

What does that have to do with his comment about mobile games?

I'm saying that it is unlikely that mobile games play such a large role.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
#34 Posted by chikenfriedrice (13561 posts) -

If this casual mobile gaming bs ruins console gaming in the future ima be pissed!

Avatar image for PurpleMan5000
#35 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8993 posts) -

Well, I'm an American who plays on both consoles and the PC. The poll didn't ask if they played exclusively on consoles, so I think people are reading facts from this that just aren't there. I will say that PC gaming is a lot cheaper than console gaming, though, and most Americans that I know believe the opposite to be true. Really, I think the biggest barrier to entry for PC gaming in the USA is that you have to actually learn what parts are needed, how to understand and compare specs, and how to put it all together. It's a culture thing, really. Most people don't like learning new things. I have no idea if that is the case in other countries, but it really is the case here.

Avatar image for shawn30
#36 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

And most Europeans plays games on PC than Console.

This proves a fact that USA is cheap country. They always buy what is cheapest, while Europe buys what cost a lot and is most quality.

Americans are not nation. They are people around the world, all immigrants in there.

Avatar image for shawn30
#37 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

And most Europeans plays games on PC than Console.

This proves a fact that USA is cheap country. They always buy what is cheapest, while Europe buys what cost a lot and is most quality.

Americans are not nation. They are people around the world, all immigrants in there.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#38 Posted by SolidGame_basic (21420 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Well, I'm an American who plays on both consoles and the PC. The poll didn't ask if they played exclusively on consoles, so I think people are reading facts from this that just aren't there. I will say that PC gaming is a lot cheaper than console gaming, though, and most Americans that I know believe the opposite to be true. Really, I think the biggest barrier to entry for PC gaming in the USA is that you have to actually learn what parts are needed, how to understand and compare specs, and how to put it all together. It's a culture thing, really. Most people don't like learning new things. I have no idea if that is the case in other countries, but it really is the case here.

Another thing that I consider is the fact that PC sales overall are in a decline. I can't imagine someone justifying a desktop purchase unless they have a specific need in mind.

Avatar image for o0squishy0o
#40 Edited by o0squishy0o (2786 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stationplay_4 said:

"95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play"

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

That is a very high amount and from personal experience many parents don't really have a clue about games. I'd imagine that will change now with average gamer age being around prime first time parent age or atleast having a child a few years old; will know what is in what game.

It would be interesting to know just how little parents know abot their kids games.

Avatar image for TheTruthIsREAL
#41 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (809 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stationplay_4 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stationplay_4 said:

"95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play"

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

grand theft auto online

Sorry...that really isn't proof of your statement dude.

Oh, yes it is LOL. Also Call of Duty, and any other mature rated games.

Avatar image for heretrix
#42 Posted by heretrix (37738 posts) -
@FreedomFreeLife said:

And most Europeans plays games on PC than Console.

This proves a fact that USA is cheap country. They always buy what is cheapest, while Europe buys what cost a lot and is most quality.

Americans are not nation. They are people around the world, all immigrants in there.

Consoles aren't cheap. It's not like they asked if people only buy consoles when they drop to 99 bucks. Also, a lot of those people also own Ipads and PC/Macs as well. Some people like myself own more than one gaming PC and several laptops. So, whatever dude.

Avatar image for Heil68
#43 Posted by Heil68 (56969 posts) -

Well with the best games made only available on console, you can see why.

Avatar image for clyde46
#44 Posted by clyde46 (49009 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stationplay_4 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stationplay_4 said:

"95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play"

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

grand theft auto online

Sorry...that really isn't proof of your statement dude.

What proof do you need? Have you played GTA:O or COD on XBL? Have you not had your ears raped by a 12 year old calling you a *&$%£?

Avatar image for Gue1
#45 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

dat console domination that make herms angry. And it's particularly painful in the ass to them when they realize that like half of the PC revenue comes from 2 or 3 games. lol

Avatar image for clyde46
#46 Edited by clyde46 (49009 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

dat console domination that make herms angry. And it's particularly painful in the ass to them when they realize that like half of the PC revenue comes from 2 or 3 games. lol

Do you think that we see any of that money? Are console gamers going to see any of that money made by GTA5?

Avatar image for shellcase86
#47 Posted by shellcase86 (2978 posts) -

To be expected.