EPIC Store continues to give gamers free games.. is it better than Steam at this point?

• 57 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

I just counted my EPIC library. I have at least 30 games I got from EPIC that were free. Didn't have to do anything except click the "get game" button lol. And this month we get Amnesia A Machine for Pigs and Kingdom New Lands. Steam doesn't really do that kind of thing. I can see why people use Steam though.. still has more functionality and features. But considering that certain gamers have been emphasizing value at this point (GamePass), shouldn't gamers also appreciate just getting free games with no strings attached? Seems like a good deal to me lol. I don't really use Steam for features, just playing games. But that's just me. What about you, SW? Is EPIC store better than Steam at this point?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Nope, Epic is still garbage owned by Tencent

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

No, haha, I much prefer how Steam embraces the community with Steam reviews and the Workshop.

Steam communities is also the place where I talk about games (Epic gamers flock there too).

Epic only embraces the publishers.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Lol, no.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

^ This

Even recently with the Apple thing, they practically pre-manufactured a campaign to use their use-base as a pawn to help them as if they were some Robin Hood underdog scrambling around Sherwood against the dastardly Sheriff Of Nottingham.

As opposed to billion-dollar companies on an inherently predatory platform trying to get more scran'...

I mean, when got Randy Pitchford supporting you it's probably not a good sign.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2133 Posts

Epic keeps on giving away free games because they are not better than Steam and it's the only way to attract people to their platform.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7200 Posts

No, they are worst.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#9 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

With my giant backlog, free game giveaways is a negative in my book, not a positive.

Also, they still don't have a shopping cart, and their browser layout is just... ..."big." Why does every single freaking thing have to declare sovereign states on my screen?

So yeah, while I welcome competition, even if it's through an approach I don't like, I still don't have a reason to make an account.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

Hook, line and sinker.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#11 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

Epic Games Store in its current state is almost as shit as Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs. Do not play it if you enjoyed the first game. It wasn't even the same developer.

I like the free games and developer revenue split, but EGS is barebones and half-ass right now. They still got a long way to go.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Nope.... id rather pay for the same games than install that crap on my new rig.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Around 30 free old games against the entire Steam library ... is it really a fair comparition ???

While i get the Epic Store appeal i don't think they are a competition to Steam nor any other service, specially when most of their entire userbase is people with no brand loyalty.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Yeah. Epic is just trying to buy gamers because it's the only way they can get people onto their platform. I'll stick with Steam.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#15 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

They aren't the devil like so many people seem to think, but as a platform they are way behind Steam in terms of having a robust set of features.

I've bought a few games on Epic and I will probably buy more. but Steam is definitely still my go-to if something isn't on gamepass.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56066 Posts

Is this a joke? Of course EGS is still garbage and giving out free games isn't going to change anyone's mind how awesome EGS is compare to Steam.

The only reason to use EGS it is if there's a game you can't play elsewhere if you need to play it right away and can't wait till next year for that game to be release on Steam ect. that's the only time anyone should be using EGS. There's nothing to like about it as a service. It's by far the worst launcher. The freebies are just take it or leave it.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#17 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Lol EGS.

I’ll stick to Steam thanks.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#18  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2563 Posts

Nope, STEAM also gives free games but we only hear about epic store freebies because it's the only good thing you can say about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

EGS is shit

Fornite is trash

Epic is a dumpster fire. Don't invest in that trash company they are going down. O'Doyle rules.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Well my EGS library is almost as big as my Steam library and I only bought like 2 games from it. They have given for free 100+ games so far. But other than that EGS just seems to be inferior to Steam.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

While I do appreciate and find it cool that EGS keeps giving out free games, I don't think it'll ever surpass Steam, in anything.

Steam is just so full of features, so much more welcoming to the gamer than EGS could ever hope to be. When I play one of my free games on EGS I feel like I'm not "part of a community" like on Steam. On Steam you get discussion boards for each games, user reviews that keep devs/publishers honest and also inform you if something about the game is broken or falsely advertised, you get community hubs with user-created guides either for hard parts in games or for mods or even getting around certain flaws in certain games.

EGS can never replace that. As R4gn4r0k pointed out, EGS embraces only the publishers and not the gamers.

Free games are nice, but it'll never make EGS a better platform.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Nope, Epic is still garbage owned by Tencent

Yep.

Free games have never been appealing to me. I either have them or don't care.

I'm sure as hell not going to install EGS just so I can stack free games I'll never use. Same with PS+. It's not worth my time to log in and click the button.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

Not better but I won't turn down free stuff

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Client is not better, however the free games are better.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

As we all know the best things in life are free.

Except for free video games lol.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7256 Posts

I appreciate the free games, but Steam as a platform is better than EGS. Early access has fostered an indie scene that brought back much of what AAA publishers mostly abandoned.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I don't know iv never used it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Never even used it, completely out of the loop on why it gets so much hate, but don't really care to learn why either.

Nothing against Epic, I use UE4 regularly and it's great, just never had a reason to use EGS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

@Gatygun said:

Client is not better, however the free games are better.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1852 Posts

Uh oh, you'll rile up the Steam Shills with this thread. lol. I'm securing my spot here.

To be honest, Epic is not that bad, they're just sort of stupid. I think if they invest in stuff that matters, they can be a good competitor.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I never used EGS and never will.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#32  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Lol, The Epic Game store still has to catch up to Uplay & Origin in quality, let alone Steam. Hell, I'd probably say it's just as bad as the Microsoft Store launcher, but at least you can rate, and give reviews on that one...

The worst of the bunch is probably the Bethesda launcher

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Tencent-Epic could start giving out free new games and I'd still rather buy them on Steam, GoG, or one of the many subscription services I use. In other words, they could pay me to use Epic store and I still wouldn't.

Epic has:

• ?

Steam has:

• Better search tools and filters for shopping for games
  • Forums
  • More games available
  • A longer history, more reliable history.
  • Built-in mod support
  • Better independent studio support
  • Game guides
  • Community tools.
  • And more, much more.

GoG:

• Great selection of old and new games
  • Access to independent games
  • No DRM on most titles
  • Constant good deals.

Game Pass, Uplay, EA Origin or whatever it's called, and so on....all better than Tencent-Epic.

I'm lucky in that my experiences with purchasing are generally good, but Epic is the exception to that. I've purchased one game from there and I've had problems accessing it many times. Their store sucks, it's just a giant list of games that takes up half a page per game it seems like.

Tencent-Epic is the hare in the Tortoise and the Hare tale. They're trying to buy their way in, do it fast and sloppy, then brag about how well they're doing...meanwhile a year goes buy, the once-exclusive game goes on Steam, and sells more there (at a year old, remember) than it did as new on Epic lol.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

It will never be better than steam but I like free games

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Judge a store by it's featutres, not by how much signup bait it gives out

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#36 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I would say even that is debatable. At least, it will keep embracing them as long as it is advantageous for them to do so.

I've been picking up all the free stuff for over a year now. I play fortnite with the kids regularly and like Epic as a game developer, as i was a big fan of the Unreal series, growing up.

I much prefer Steam as a platform. It is much more feature rich and is more transparent in it's relationship with customers and developers / publishers.

I think it really comes down to what you value most. A lot of people here are fan of Gog.com, as it eliminates the digital distribution platform factor altogether.

I don't think there really is any wrong choice, or answer, at this point.

Go with what you feel brings you the most value.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44555 Posts

Steam has the Winnie the Poo game on the store. Epic will never ever get it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@lucidique: Epic hasn't done anything for games though in years. Outside of Fortnite, of course. I mean the Unreal Engine is great and a really important tool for the industry, but as far as games go? Nothing.

Bulletstorm and maybe Robo Recall are the only games from them I recall enjoying in recent memory.

Also they're just not a great company. They see their chance for a license to print money and they're going after it any way they can.

Doesn't help they have an "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau, an accredited watchdog group, for being such twerps in the customer service department.

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

I giggle a bit when a forum full of people who will make it sound like the sky is falling if a console costs $100 more than expected takes the stance of "LOL... It's not worth me logging in and clicking a button for free games."

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#40 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@lucidique: Epic hasn't done anything for games though in years. Outside of Fortnite, of course. I mean the Unreal Engine is great and a really important tool for the industry, but as far as games go? Nothing.

Bulletstorm and maybe Robo Recall are the only games from them I recall enjoying in recent memory.

Also they're just not a great company. They see their chance for a license to print money and they're going after it any way they can.

Doesn't help they have an "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau, an accredited watchdog group, for being such twerps in the customer service department.

Gears of War would like to have a talk with you ;)

Anyway, the money-making argument is complicated. I think any company would jump at the opportunity to make this kind of cash, even if it means damaging the gaming eco-system as a result.

I know i would.

I'm not defending them in any way, just want to make that clear. They may have some poor business practices, but it has become the standard in the industry these days.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Epis have bad customer policies, I won't install their software free games or not.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Steam definitely has room for improvements that they’ve shown no inclination to make, offline mode for starters (something even Origin had them beat at from day one), and forced automated patches with no rollback feature is a big one too (Skyrim Special anyone?). So solid competition in theory would be welcome. Epic, though doesn’t want competition, they just want a monopoly for themselves, otherwise they would’ve allowed those paid “exclusives” on GOG and the like. Plus, buying exclusivity last minute after the game was advertised on steam for months is pretty scummy. Free games are a nice token but don’t mask all the negatives.

The fact that Game Journalists just lapped up that laughable “David and Goliath” narrative without question and shilled the Tencent Store to the hills just makes me hate them more.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

@Yams1980: what type of information would China want to know? If we think Control sucks?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Worse than Steam. I do download the free games, but I don't purchase due to Tencent's partial ownership, due to heavy ties with the CCP. Not that it would affect me personally, but more that this shit needs to leave.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Hell no. It takes more than free games to be a better store. If it were better they wouldn't need to give away free games or moneyhat exclusives. They're just lazy.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts
@Postosuchus said:

Steam definitely has room for improvements that they’ve shown no inclination to make, offline mode for starters (something even Origin had them beat at from day one), and forced automated patches with no rollback feature is a big one too (Skyrim Special anyone?). So solid competition in theory would be welcome. Epic, though doesn’t want competition, they just want a monopoly for themselves, otherwise they would’ve allowed those paid “exclusives” on GOG and the like. Plus, buying exclusivity last minute after the game was advertised on steam for months is pretty scummy. Free games are a nice token but don’t mask all the negatives.

The fact that Game Journalists just lapped up that laughable “David and Goliath” narrative without question and shilled the Tencent Store to the hills just makes me hate them more.

Steam has an offline mode...

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

It is somewhat like asking (if this is a bad analogy, forgive me) if an authoritarian government continues to give "free" things to its citizens, does it mean that dictatorship is better than democracy at this point?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Did you use your proper email and all or did you create a new one to get these games?