Epic Games Store snags more big-name exclusives: The Outer Worlds, Control, Quantic Dream games

  • 88 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for madrocketeer
#1 Edited by madrocketeer (6234 posts) -

Sources: PC Gamer, Ars Technica

Edit: Second PC Gamer article confirming Quantic Dream games.

The latter is a more interesting case, as all Quantic Dream games after Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human) are all published by Sony. All three are coming to Epic Games Store. Could this be a sign that Sony are loosening their publishing grip on their platform exclusive games, and that more Playstation exclusives could be coming to PC?

Anyway, my take: Quantic Dream games, meh. The Outer Worlds and Control going exclusive, though, kinda suck, but I can live with it.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (32829 posts) -

They can keep snagging them, not supporting this shit.

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
#3 Posted by ProtossRushX (5247 posts) -

Them snags tho

Avatar image for mowgly1
#4 Posted by mowgly1 (1210 posts) -

@madrocketeer:

C,'mon man . :D

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/oh-sony-lost-their-current-gen-exclusives-detroit--33454680/

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#5 Edited by madrocketeer (6234 posts) -
@mowgly1 said:

@madrocketeer:

C,'mon man . :D

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/oh-sony-lost-their-current-gen-exclusives-detroit--33454680/

A. Your thread did not exist when I started writing mine.

B. My thread discusses two additional games beyond the Quantic Dream ones: The Outer Worlds and Control.

C. My thread discusses the topic in the context of PC gaming, your thread headlines with PlayStation "losing" exclusives.

I think they can coexist.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#6 Posted by Ant_17 (12174 posts) -

Outer world is the Obsidian game? Man, this is getting nuts.

Avatar image for XVision84
#7 Posted by XVision84 (15811 posts) -

I would have considered getting all 3 of those games. Epic is on a quest to progressively annoy me even more. Looks like I won't be buying any of em.

Sad thing is that publishers have nothing to lose because they get a payout now and then people just buy their game later anyway.

Avatar image for mowgly1
#8 Posted by mowgly1 (1210 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:
@mowgly1 said:

@madrocketeer:

C,'mon man . :D

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/oh-sony-lost-their-current-gen-exclusives-detroit--33454680/

A. Your thread did not exist when I started writing mine.

B. My thread discusses two additional games beyond the Quantic Dream ones: The Outer Worlds and Control.

C. My thread discusses the topic in the context of PC gaming, your thread headlines with PlayStation "losing" exclusives.

I think they can coexist.

My thread is older around 6 minutes. :D But yeah, B and C are all right. :D

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#9 Edited by Ghosts4ever (9598 posts) -

control has failure written all over it. barely anyone excited for it. now not on steam mean it will be a flop.

outer worlds will doing fine. like metro exodus does.

Avatar image for rmpumper
#10 Posted by rmpumper (567 posts) -

What a shitshow - PC gets Sony exclusives, but they are exclusive to Epic.

Not a big issue for me as I usually buy games after 12-18 months when they are discounted to the point where I can easily afford them.

Avatar image for Pedro
#11 Posted by Pedro (34019 posts) -

Game being "exclusive" to Epic on PC does change the fact its on PC. You are just forced to buy it at a particular store front.

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#12 Edited by madrocketeer (6234 posts) -
@Ant_17 said:

Outer world is the Obsidian game? Man, this is getting nuts.

Yup. It's the new Obsidian game.

@XVision84 said:

I would have considered getting all 3 of those games. Epic is on a quest to progressively annoy me even more. Looks like I won't be buying any of em.

Sad thing is that publishers have nothing to lose because they get a payout now and then people just buy their game later anyway.

Phoenix Point was still by far the worst for me, but yeah, this is very annoying. Especially so since according to Epic's own roadmap (*sigh* another one in 2019), their store won't be in anywhere near an acceptably feature-complete state until more than six months down the line.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#13 Posted by PC_Rocks (2063 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

They can keep snagging them, not supporting this shit.

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#14 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9598 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Game being "exclusive" to Epic on PC does change the fact its on PC. You are just forced to buy it at a particular store front.

5 bucks say Red dead redemption 2 will be epic store exclusive and people will be crazy for it.

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
#15 Posted by NoodleFighter (10175 posts) -

Everytime I see news of Epic buying out exclusivity I wish more and more that Bluehole won their lawsuit against Epic. That Fortnite money is getting to their heads.

Avatar image for enzyme36
#16 Posted by enzyme36 (4153 posts) -

Looks Outer Worlds is a 2020 title

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#17 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#18 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Game being "exclusive" to Epic on PC does change the fact its on PC. You are just forced to buy it at a particular store front.

That's the funniest thing about all this. There's not enough popcorn for all these EPIC/PC complainer threads.

Avatar image for davillain-
#19 Edited by DaVillain- (36100 posts) -

I'm personally more interested in playing Remedy new game Control and if it has to be Epic Store, then that's were I'm heading. Already played Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, & Detroit: Become Human PS3/4 so this is something I can skip over.

Also, Epic has just partner with Humble Bundle now. This was one my major complaint about Epic store. Letting me go through Humble for payments makes me more likely to now go shop at Epic Store so this is a right step in the direction and as for Steam, better start developing HL3 Gabe ;)

Avatar image for Cloud_imperium
#20 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14922 posts) -

A great win for PC. Developers becoming more comfortable with working on the said platform. Whether someone is into these games or not is a different matter.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#21 Posted by pyro1245 (4929 posts) -

Well it looks like I will be reinstalling the Epic store when Outer Worlds comes out.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

I can see why you don't understand. Epic store is like the Switch in that it has no features. So that's just standard procedure for you. While you're living in 2006, it's 2019 over here.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#22 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

Well it looks like I will be reinstalling the Epic store when Outer Worlds comes out.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

I can see why you don't understand. Epic store is like the Switch in that it has no features. So that's just standard procedure for you. While you're living in 2006, it's 2019 over here.

Cry some more PC gamers.

Cry until your keyboards are filled with tears.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#23 Posted by pyro1245 (4929 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pyro1245 said:

Well it looks like I will be reinstalling the Epic store when Outer Worlds comes out.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

I can see why you don't understand. Epic store is like the Switch in that it has no features. So that's just standard procedure for you. While you're living in 2006, it's 2019 over here.

Cry some more PC gamers.

Cry until your keyboards are filled with tears.

No need I never miss a game I want.

Nice deflection tho.

Avatar image for fedor
#24 Posted by Fedor (4646 posts) -

Looks like I'll check out a couple of these in 2020.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#25 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pyro1245 said:

Well it looks like I will be reinstalling the Epic store when Outer Worlds comes out.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

I can see why you don't understand. Epic store is like the Switch in that it has no features. So that's just standard procedure for you. While you're living in 2006, it's 2019 over here.

Cry some more PC gamers.

Cry until your keyboards are filled with tears.

No need I never miss a game I want.

Nice deflection tho.

The other day I bought a game at best buy instead of amazon and I cried about it because best buy doesn't have all the same stuff that amazon has but somehow I ended up with the same product.

Weird.

Avatar image for the_master_race
#26 Posted by the_master_race (4578 posts) -

Dammit , not Outerworlds :(

Avatar image for pyro1245
#27 Posted by pyro1245 (4929 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pyro1245 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pyro1245 said:

Well it looks like I will be reinstalling the Epic store when Outer Worlds comes out.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

I can see why you don't understand. Epic store is like the Switch in that it has no features. So that's just standard procedure for you. While you're living in 2006, it's 2019 over here.

Cry some more PC gamers.

Cry until your keyboards are filled with tears.

No need I never miss a game I want.

Nice deflection tho.

The other day I bought a game at best buy instead of amazon and I cried about it because best buy doesn't have all the same stuff that amazon has but somehow I ended up with the same product.

Weird.

I bet you cried.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#28 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pyro1245 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@pyro1245 said:

Well it looks like I will be reinstalling the Epic store when Outer Worlds comes out.

I can see why you don't understand. Epic store is like the Switch in that it has no features. So that's just standard procedure for you. While you're living in 2006, it's 2019 over here.

Cry some more PC gamers.

Cry until your keyboards are filled with tears.

No need I never miss a game I want.

Nice deflection tho.

The other day I bought a game at best buy instead of amazon and I cried about it because best buy doesn't have all the same stuff that amazon has but somehow I ended up with the same product.

Weird.

I bet you cried.

Nope cause the game still played on my system of choice.

CRAZY.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#29 Posted by uninspiredcup (32829 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

Well it looks like I will be reinstalling the Epic store when Outer Worlds comes out.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

I can see why you don't understand. Epic store is like the Switch in that it has no features. So that's just standard procedure for you. While you're living in 2006, it's 2019 over here.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#30 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@pyro1245 said:

Well it looks like I will be reinstalling the Epic store when Outer Worlds comes out.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

I can see why you don't understand. Epic store is like the Switch in that it has no features. So that's just standard procedure for you. While you're living in 2006, it's 2019 over here.

Here I was thinking I play games and not features.

Weird.

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#31 Edited by madrocketeer (6234 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

Capitalism has nothing to do with it. A reminder: I welcomed the initial announcement. But between the currently barebones state of the Epic Store, privacy and security concerns, and in the context of the inconvenience of further platform fragmentation, these are very legitimate criticisms. Criticisms should be seen as an opportunity to improve; without criticism there is no impetus to improve.

Epic should be double-timing to alleviate these concerns. Instead, they have chosen to sledgehammer their way into the market with exclusives, while the much-needed improvements are 6+ months away.

Avatar image for watercrack445
#32 Edited by watercrack445 (1456 posts) -

Seems like a bad decade to be a PC gamer. With the Epic Store exclusivity deals, next-gen consoles and streaming services.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#33 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4359 posts) -

Epic's timed exclusive rampage powers on. Fortnite made them too powerful. Epic in a few years...

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#34 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

Capitalism has nothing to do with it. A reminder: I welcomed the initial announcement. But between the currently barebones state of the Epic Store, privacy and security concerns, and in the context of the inconvenience of further platform fragmentation, these are very legitimate criticisms. Criticisms should be seen as an opportunity to improve; without criticism there is no impetus to improve.

Epic should be double-timing to alleviate these concerns. Instead, they have chosen to sledgehammer their way into the market with exclusives, while the much-needed improvements are 6+ months away.

Buy the game, play the game.

It's not so complicated. Epic is new give them time, until then they're going to do a little old fashioned competition to make the market place better for consumers.

Avatar image for whatafailure
#35 Edited by WhatAFailure (317 posts) -

Quantic Dreams already said they are going to go multiplatform and even teamed up up with a Chinese internet company to assist in multiplayer gaming for future titles. There was a thread on this a few week ago. So this news of them making a deal with Epic isn't that much of a surprise.

Also, funny to see the group always crying about "movie movie games" are now going "Sony lost some big exclusives!" If those games were crap to you before, why do you care that they're on Epic's game store?

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#36 Posted by madrocketeer (6234 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Buy the game, play the game.

It's not so complicated. Epic is new give them time, until then they're going to do a little old fashioned competition to make the market place better for consumers.

Sure. But these objective flaws still need to be pointed out. Again, without criticisms, there is no impetus to improve. Being "new" is not an excuse.

Avatar image for true_link
#37 Posted by True_Link (243 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

Capitalism has nothing to do with it. A reminder: I welcomed the initial announcement. But between the currently barebones state of the Epic Store, privacy and security concerns, and in the context of the inconvenience of further platform fragmentation, these are very legitimate criticisms. Criticisms should be seen as an opportunity to improve; without criticism there is no impetus to improve.

Epic should be double-timing to alleviate these concerns. Instead, they have chosen to sledgehammer their way into the market with exclusives, while the much-needed improvements are 6+ months away.

It actually has everything to do with it. Epic is trying to capitalize by having exclusives and expanding its marketshare so they can make more money.

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#38 Posted by madrocketeer (6234 posts) -
@true_link said:

It actually has everything to do with it. Epic is trying to capitalize by having exclusives and expanding its marketshare so they can make more money.

I was talking about the current legitimate criticisms of the Epic Games Store. It is a gross oversimplification to boil the criticisms down to "capitalism is bad."

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#39 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@true_link said:
@madrocketeer said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

Capitalism has nothing to do with it. A reminder: I welcomed the initial announcement. But between the currently barebones state of the Epic Store, privacy and security concerns, and in the context of the inconvenience of further platform fragmentation, these are very legitimate criticisms. Criticisms should be seen as an opportunity to improve; without criticism there is no impetus to improve.

Epic should be double-timing to alleviate these concerns. Instead, they have chosen to sledgehammer their way into the market with exclusives, while the much-needed improvements are 6+ months away.

It actually has everything to do with it. Epic is trying to capitalize by having exclusives and expanding its marketshare so they can make more money.

It's steam's fault for leaving such an obvious gap for them to enter and take advantage of.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#40 Posted by Jacanuk (18283 posts) -
@madrocketeer said:

Sources: PC Gamer, Ars Technica

Edit: Second PC Gamer article confirming Quantic Dream games.

The latter is a more interesting case, as all Quantic Dream games after Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human) are all published by Sony. All three are coming to Epic Games Store. Could this be a sign that Sony are loosening their publishing grip on their platform exclusive games, and that more Playstation exclusives could be coming to PC?

Anyway, my take: Quantic Dream games, meh. The Outer Worlds and Control going exclusive, though, kinda suck, but I can live with it.

Tencent is really out with the big wallet that can not have been cheap to secure that to PC on Tencent´s launcher and what a scoop

If Tencent work on their launcher this may be the first major challenge to Valve and Steam in a very long time.

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#41 Posted by madrocketeer (6234 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

Tencent is really out with the big wallet that can not have been cheap to secure that to PC on Tencent´s launcher and what a scoop

If Tencent work on their launcher this may be the first major challenge to Valve and Steam in a very long time.

*Groans*

While Bloomberg doesn’t identify how it came up with that number, it does cite analysts who seem to back it up. It also notes that Tencent owns 40% of the company, but that founder and president Tim Sweeney is the controlling shareholder.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#42 Posted by Jacanuk (18283 posts) -
@madrocketeer said:
@Jacanuk said:

Tencent is really out with the big wallet that can not have been cheap to secure that to PC on Tencent´s launcher and what a scoop

If Tencent work on their launcher this may be the first major challenge to Valve and Steam in a very long time.

*Groans*

While Bloomberg doesn’t identify how it came up with that number, it does cite analysts who seem to back it up. It also notes that Tencent owns 40% of the company, but that founder and president Tim Sweeney is the controlling shareholder.

"Tim Sweeney" does not have the brain nor the cash to bankroll something like this.

Fortnite became a success because of Tencent and you can be sure they are behind the scene controlling this move. Also, rumours have Tencent controlling up to 48% and you can be sure they have very good lawyers behind them.

Avatar image for true_link
#43 Posted by True_Link (243 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@true_link said:
@madrocketeer said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

Capitalism has nothing to do with it. A reminder: I welcomed the initial announcement. But between the currently barebones state of the Epic Store, privacy and security concerns, and in the context of the inconvenience of further platform fragmentation, these are very legitimate criticisms. Criticisms should be seen as an opportunity to improve; without criticism there is no impetus to improve.

Epic should be double-timing to alleviate these concerns. Instead, they have chosen to sledgehammer their way into the market with exclusives, while the much-needed improvements are 6+ months away.

It actually has everything to do with it. Epic is trying to capitalize by having exclusives and expanding its marketshare so they can make more money.

It's steam's fault for leaving such an obvious gap for them to enter and take advantage of.

Agreed, and they had it coming. Shame on them for not realizing this soon enough.

Whether it's consoles, streaming services or storefronts: exclusives sell.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#44 Edited by MirkoS77 (14060 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@madrocketeer said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

Capitalism has nothing to do with it. A reminder: I welcomed the initial announcement. But between the currently barebones state of the Epic Store, privacy and security concerns, and in the context of the inconvenience of further platform fragmentation, these are very legitimate criticisms. Criticisms should be seen as an opportunity to improve; without criticism there is no impetus to improve.

Epic should be double-timing to alleviate these concerns. Instead, they have chosen to sledgehammer their way into the market with exclusives, while the much-needed improvements are 6+ months away.

Buy the game, play the game.

It's not so complicated. Epic is new give them time, until then they're going to do a little old fashioned competition to make the market place better for consumers.

But it's not better for consumers. How is forcing people onto a platform that is objectively inferior by buying out exclusives competition? If Epic truly wished to compete, they'd be busting their asses to introduce parity in feature-set to Steam (and to improve upon it) while also providing incentive to developers instead of simply throwing cash their way. It's cheap, it's lazy, it's sleazy, and it shouldn't be supported.

I don't know why I'm bothering with you though, I expect to get nothing more than a "wah wah wah, keep crying" tier response.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#45 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@madrocketeer said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Hear come the PC tears.

waaaahhh unfair waaaahhhh capitalism lol.

Capitalism has nothing to do with it. A reminder: I welcomed the initial announcement. But between the currently barebones state of the Epic Store, privacy and security concerns, and in the context of the inconvenience of further platform fragmentation, these are very legitimate criticisms. Criticisms should be seen as an opportunity to improve; without criticism there is no impetus to improve.

Epic should be double-timing to alleviate these concerns. Instead, they have chosen to sledgehammer their way into the market with exclusives, while the much-needed improvements are 6+ months away.

Buy the game, play the game.

It's not so complicated. Epic is new give them time, until then they're going to do a little old fashioned competition to make the market place better for consumers.

But it's not better for consumers. How is forcing people onto a platform that is objectively inferior by buying out exclusives competition? If Epic truly wished to compete, they'd be busting their asses to introduce parity in feature-set to Steam (and to improve upon it) while also providing incentive to developers instead of simply throwing cash their way. It's cheap, it's lazy, it's sleazy, and it shouldn't be supported.

I don't know why I'm bothering with you though, I expect to get nothing more than a "wah wah wah, keep crying" tier response.

Competition forces companies to try harder for your hard earned dollars. Better deals and prices. Do you even know how the free market works? Monopolies always get lazy and take advantage of consumers. Is that what you're really cherishing so much with Steam?

You only want to shop and wal mart your whole life? You don't think amazon can't improve?

Avatar image for speedytimsi
#46 Edited by speedytimsi (931 posts) -

@rmpumper said:

What a shitshow - PC gets Sony exclusives, but they are exclusive to Epic.

Not a big issue for me as I usually buy games after 12-18 months when they are discounted to the point where I can easily afford them.

So it's a double exclusive

That's new. Sooner or later Amazon and all those freaking app services is gonna have their own exclusives. Play candy crush exclusive to amazon app.

Avatar image for madrocketeer
#47 Posted by madrocketeer (6234 posts) -

@Jacanuk:

Fortnite was announced in 2011, years before the Tencent investment in 2015. The Battle Royale spin-off, which by the way competes with Tencent's own Ring of Elysium, was launched in September 2017 as a side project. When it surprisingly took off, Epic even had to scramble their devs from other projects to support it. Fortnite is what's bankrolling Epic Games Store, which was announced in December 2018. Tim Sweeney himself stated back in 2016 that Tencent has very little control on the creative direction of Epic Games.

Doesn't matter anyway. It says in black and white that Tim Sweeney is the controlling shareholder. The ultimate decision of the company rests with him.

And that 48% figure is not a rumour: it's the percentage of publicly issued shares, equating to about 40% of Epic as a whole.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#48 Edited by MirkoS77 (14060 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@MirkoS77 said:

But it's not better for consumers. How is forcing people onto a platform that is objectively inferior by buying out exclusives competition? If Epic truly wished to compete, they'd be busting their asses to introduce parity in feature-set to Steam (and to improve upon it) while also providing incentive to developers instead of simply throwing cash their way. It's cheap, it's lazy, it's sleazy, and it shouldn't be supported.

I don't know why I'm bothering with you though, I expect to get nothing more than a "wah wah wah, keep crying" tier response.

Competition forces companies to try harder for your hard earned dollars. Better deals and prices. Do you even know how the free market works? Monopolies always get lazy and take advantage of consumers. Is that what you're really cherishing so much with Steam?

You only want to shop and wal mart your whole life? You don't think amazon can't improve?

Better deals and prices aren't the end all be all when it comes to service-based platforms like Steam and Epic. I think that it's good that Steam does have Epic to worry about, I only think that Epic is taking the wrong approach of providing incentive to draw gamers away from the former given that both are also services and not simply just stores. I would gladly pay more for a game on Steam at present due to its ancillary benefits than I would pay cheaper on Epic in sacrifice of them, especially after questionable issues have arisen towards the latter (such as privacy). Epic are focusing on one aspect of market appeal and exploiting it to compensate for their insufficiency in others. So I have to ask: do YOU understand how the free market works? Take it in totality, or not at all. This isn't just about software prices, it is about a service that also compliments them.

And your analogy is flawed. A walk-in store isn't analogous to an online retailer. Both have their advantages and disadvantages based on their business and distribution model, they are not at all comparable.

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#49 Edited by 04dcarraher (23172 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@madrocketeer said:

Capitalism has nothing to do with it. A reminder: I welcomed the initial announcement. But between the currently barebones state of the Epic Store, privacy and security concerns, and in the context of the inconvenience of further platform fragmentation, these are very legitimate criticisms. Criticisms should be seen as an opportunity to improve; without criticism there is no impetus to improve.

Epic should be double-timing to alleviate these concerns. Instead, they have chosen to sledgehammer their way into the market with exclusives, while the much-needed improvements are 6+ months away.

Buy the game, play the game.

It's not so complicated. Epic is new give them time, until then they're going to do a little old fashioned competition to make the market place better for consumers.

But it's not better for consumers. How is forcing people onto a platform that is objectively inferior by buying out exclusives competition? If Epic truly wished to compete, they'd be busting their asses to introduce parity in feature-set to Steam (and to improve upon it) while also providing incentive to developers instead of simply throwing cash their way. It's cheap, it's lazy, it's sleazy, and it shouldn't be supported.

I don't know why I'm bothering with you though, I expect to get nothing more than a "wah wah wah, keep crying" tier response.

Competition forces companies to try harder for your hard earned dollars. Better deals and prices. Do you even know how the free market works? Monopolies always get lazy and take advantage of consumers. Is that what you're really cherishing so much with Steam?

You only want to shop and wal mart your whole life? You don't think amazon can't improve?

EPIC is not Competition......

Forcing people to only be able to play a 3rd party game through Epic Games Launcher....... Competition would be releasing said game on Steam, Uplay, Origin, GOG, and Epic simultaneously, and one or more of those stores having an exclusive discount or extras...... This timed exclusivity pure exclusivity. Is not good for a open platform.

You can buy a key for a Steam game literally anywhere that sells game keys. GMG, Humble, Amazon, Fanatical, Best Buy, Steam, Walmart, the list goes on. Valve doesn't get any cut of those externally sold keys you literally only use Steam to redeem the key. Those keys are authorized from the publisher through a deal with the retailer - not Valve.

Forcing people to only be able to buy it only through Epic Games Store is another step which literally removes competition especially with 3rd party titles.....

What Epic is doing right now is what Microsoft and Sony have been doing. Throwing money at third party developers - in some cases that means literally buying the company (MS just bought Obsidian for example. Sony bought Naughty Dog many years ago, another example) - in order to gain some slight advantage or exclusivity deal. It isn't good for anyone including the developers. You can ask SE how well it served them to release ROTTR on Xbox with timed exclusivity. Ask Capcom how well Dead Rising 3 did before it ported to PC. AskTake Two how much money they made off GTA5 after the PC release. EPIC way of doing this is not the right direction for an open platform.

Learn the difference. Valve has had competition for years. Tim Sweeney isn't sticking it to the man and he isn't a champion of the free market. Epic is not doing anything positive for the market or consumer.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#50 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28861 posts) -

Good grief. You pc cry babies really are losing your minds over this.

No use trying to reason with people who think offering more money to devs is a bad thing.

They are the ones that make the games ya know, not steam.

And whatever feature you miss so much let me tell you about the best feature ever created: PLAYING THE GAME YOU PURCHASED. That's all that matters, not how much you can gossip with your friends in the forums.