Epic Games opening an online store to compete with Steam

• 78 results
#1 Edited by madrocketeer (5888 posts) -

Announcement on the official Unreal Engine website.

And yes, the announcement does target Steam specifically, as you can see in this graph on the page:

Essentially, they're trying to attract developers by offering a bigger cut of the sales. Apparently, there will be more details at The Game Awards.

I dunno. On one hand, competition is good and a strength of the PC platform. On the other hand, this is an already very crowded market - I'm personally already juggling between 5 different game clients plus Windows Store. I expect a hard grind for even any kind of foothold.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by TryIt (12881 posts) -

1. they will have to offer the services to developers that Steam does as well.

2. they will have to have the same customer coverage that Steam does to make it attractive to developer OR have a DRAMATICALLY lower profit take.

3. its likely if they ever appeared to be a threat to Steam, Valve would just simply match the % cut and move on.

I dont think it will take down Steam. Steam is not only 'to big to fail' its also still in a growth peroid.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#3 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (27392 posts) -

Of course. Would you only want to shop at one store all the time? Competition is always best for the consumer. This is great news. Take steam to task!

#4 Posted by osan0 (15219 posts) -

good stuff. if they support linux in the future i will poke my head in and have a look.

more competition is good. i wonder what they will do extra though to attract customers. if its just another steam then its going to have a struggle.

#5 Edited by uninspiredcup (29186 posts) -

So they are benefiting Publishers, not players.

Unlike Valve, who benefits players. Because you can bet a gold coin those turd-burgers have no intention of lowering prices.

#6 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10231 posts) -

Nice, another shop I'll never use that makes sure my Steam prices stay low :D

#7 Posted by DaVillain- (32975 posts) -

Good luck with that, Epic. That might be the reason why Valve announced they will be giving AAA developers a bigger slice of the revenue which makes all sense now lol. But in another way, I'm not against competition, I always welcome competition, so I think this is gonna be a good thing, but I don't think I'll use it, but only the future will tell.

(Will probably take Epic years to remember Brazil exists however)

#8 Posted by XVision84 (14452 posts) -

Wow, another one to add to the list. I like it, more competition is better.

#9 Edited by madrocketeer (5888 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

So they are benefiting Publishers, not players.

Unlike Valve, who benefits players. Because you can bet a gold coin those turd-burgers have no intention of lowering prices.

I think they're trying to square a chicken-and-egg problem: you need a strong catalogue to attract customers, but you also need a customer base to attract developers and publishers to build your catalogue.

I see this as one way to solve the former. As for the latter, I fully expect them to leverage their Fortnite player base to create that customer base. They'll probably even build it right into the Fortnite client.

Could work. But again, it will be tough - this is a very crowded market. But I do wish them luck. As I said, competition is good and a strength of the PC platform.

#10 Posted by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@davillain- said:

Good luck with that, Epic. That might be the reason why Valve announced they will be giving AAA developers a bigger slice of the revenue which makes all sense now lol. But in another way, I'm not against competition, I always welcome competition, so I think this is gonna be a good thing, but I don't think I'll use it, but only the future will tell.

(Will probably take Epic years to remember Brazil exists however)

very likely true.

ironic how indies are grateful to get 30% but the big boys want less, never the less I am sure its the reason.

Avatar image for the_master_race
#11 Posted by the_master_race (4471 posts) -

more competition , good

#12 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29503 posts) -

more launchers, great

#13 Posted by lundy86_4 (50923 posts) -

So long as we don't get games exclusive to their storefront, then i'm all for it.

#14 Posted by Boycie (4566 posts) -

@tryit: steam is nothing special anymore.

#15 Edited by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@boycie said:

ok whatever, with its 125 million active users and all, whatever bro.

good luck with all that!

#17 Posted by Boycie (4566 posts) -

@tryit: fortnite has 200 million registered accounts and it’s not on steam.

#18 Edited by madrocketeer (5888 posts) -
@lundy86_4 said:

So long as we don't get games exclusive to their storefront, then i'm all for it.

Already too late for that. This is tied directly to the launcher for a certain little free-to-play battle royale game.

Anyway, been reading up on some more details. Unlike Steam and GOG, no forums. Instead, developers run their own feedback and bug report systems which can be linked back to the storefront. Opt-in user reviews. 14-day no-questions-asked refund policy. They'll open with a "hand-curated" lineup at first, then open things up a bit more in 2019.

#19 Edited by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@boycie said:

lol...that is hysterical!

huge difference between 'registered users to a free to play game that is on mobile of which may or may not even be playing' and 'ACTIVE users'

active has a definition in this context, but again, whatever bro I really could not give a **** less

#20 Posted by dzimm (5068 posts) -

A store for a single gaming engine seems a bit odd to me.

At any rate, I doubt this is going to hurt Steam. I figure most developers will simply distribute their games through both storefronts.

#21 Posted by Boycie (4566 posts) -

@tryit: even so, thats still 200 million email addresses they have to send special offers and incentives to buy off there store.

No reason the won’t co-exists for many years to come though.

#22 Edited by BassMan (9432 posts) -

I like the percentages and it makes sense for them to do it now while leveraging the massive install base of Fortnite. The players log into their client to play the game and are already setup for transactions.

#23 Posted by uninspiredcup (29186 posts) -
@boycie said:

Sort of false. It's the most feature laden service on the market, and free. With a fairly consistent barrage of updates and refinements,

Uplay, Origin, GOG do not come close to the community features offered by Steam.

#24 Edited by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@boycie said:

@tryit: even so, thats still 200 million email addresses they have to send special offers and incentives to buy off there store.

No reason the won’t co-exists for many years to come though.

ok let me break this down for you, that is one game, if they want to make a store platform with one game then have at it and congrats all the massive amounts of people.

but given that Steam has more ACTIVE users then ALL CURRENT GENERATION CONSOLES combined be it said console are in use or not makes me feel that people in mass are not going to give up Steam and their Diesel Brothers game to go play fucking Fortnite

#25 Posted by Boycie (4566 posts) -

@tryit: that one game is better than 95% of the shite on steam though.

#26 Edited by Boycie (4566 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: fair point, I’m not knocking steams features. It just doesn’t seem to have that premium feel anymore. It’s more like google play or the app store

#27 Posted by dzimm (5068 posts) -

@boycie said:

Registered accounts, sure, but how many active users? How many people are like me who registered a Fortnite account just to see what all the fuss was about and then uninstalled the game immediately afterwards and never looked back?

#28 Posted by dzimm (5068 posts) -

@boycie said:

My friends, I think we have a Fortnite fanboy in our midst. :-D

#29 Posted by Boycie (4566 posts) -

@dzimm: oops... sorry. I forgot where I was. Fortnite sucks! Boo!

#30 Edited by madrocketeer (5888 posts) -
@dzimm said:
@boycie said:

Actually, @boycie is right. Steam has no curation, and no gatekeeping of any kind since they killed Greenlight. It's just a free-for-all out there.

The result? Thousands of games released each year, and the overwhelming majority of them are just horrible garbage like this... ...whatever this is:

Loading Video...

I mean, really? It's 2018, and they're still using that head spider asset? Say what you will about Fortnite, at least Epic put actual effort into that game.

#31 Posted by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@boycie said:

whatever, be happy with your lama lootboxes. I really do not think people who play Mist Survival really could remotely care less about that cartoon lama lootbox jerk fest

#32 Edited by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:
@dzimm said:
@boycie said:

Actually, @boycie is right. Steam has no curation, and no gatekeeping of any kind since they killed Greenlight. It's just a free-for-all out there.

The result? Thousands of games released each year, and the overwhelming majority of it is just horrible garbage like this... ...whatever this is:

Loading Video...

I mean, really? It's 2018, and they're still using that head spider asset? Say what you will about Fortnite, at least Epic put actual effort into that game.

again..people who are already excited about Junkyard Simulator, Emperium Galaxic Surival alpha 9, 7 days to die, Diesel Brothers, Common'hood, UBoat could not remotely give a ****. people LIKE these non-curated games, just not you. some people need permission to play a game, others do not, its ok.

we get it you dont like those games, fine, move on, nobody really cares

#33 Posted by Boycie (4566 posts) -

@tryit: that would be a superb point if it wasn’t for the fact Fortnite doesn’t have lootboxes or lamas.

#34 Edited by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@boycie said:

@tryit: that would be a superb point if it wasn’t for the fact Fortnite doesn’t have lootboxes or lamas.

here is what people like you do not understand about Steam.

People who LIKE games like UBoat are not going to go all of the sudden 'holy crap! Steam is not curated? ok well then I should play a lama lootbox game that looks like a cartoon'

and yes..Fortnite has lama lootboxes...shall I show you?

look that took me 10 seconds to find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNlm6o2ABOg

god dang that is some bullshit high end gaming right there

#35 Edited by xantufrog (10072 posts) -

@madrocketeer:why would you want a "curated" store? You want others to decide what you can/should buy for you? The good games are still there - and they aren't always what someone else agrees upon, so what counts as "good" isn't really something I want someone else deciding. I get that it means there's more to sift through, but that's how I discover things that aren't mass-marketed out the ass to me but I actually enjoy

#36 Posted by Boycie (4566 posts) -

@tryit: fair enough, they are llamas, I always thought they were piñatas. I’ve never played Fortnite to be honest. It just looks a lot better than lots of games I’ve not played on steam either.

For the record I have been an active member of steam for years and have over 200 games on my account. I just don’t like the open door to any old crap policy they have now.

#37 Edited by Alucard_Prime (9873 posts) -

Competition is good but I can't help but wonder if Epic is expanding a little too quickly. All of this would not have been possible without the incredible success of Fortnite, I presume, but what if that game's revenue/popularity nosedives in the future, who knows what could happen if they aren't prepared.

#38 Edited by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@boycie said:

@tryit: fair enough, they are llamas, I always thought they were piñatas. I’ve never played Fortnite to be honest. It just looks a lot better than lots of games I’ve not played on steam either.

For the record I have been an active member of steam for years and have over 200 games on my account. I just don’t like the open door to any old crap policy they have now.

well I DO like their 'open crap policy' they have now and I am telling you the millions of people who are very much having a blast with games like My Summer Car and do not give a rats ass about lama lootbox cartoon games are not going to stop playing the games they like and move over to play game they do not like PEROID..end of story..full stop

Now if Epic starts having games like Desiel Brothers or Uboat then that might change, otherwise not a ****** chance

#39 Posted by uninspiredcup (29186 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@madrocketeer:why would you want a "curated" store? You want others to decide what you can/should buy for you? The good games are still there - and they aren't always what someone else agrees upon, so what counts as "good" isn't really something I want someone else deciding. I get that it means there's more to sift through, but that's how I discover things that aren't mass-marketed out the ass to me but I actually enjoy

I think you need some level of quality control, Valves intentions with Greenlight/EA were noble, and on paper sounds good. But people are people and people suck. They just saw something to exploit.

#40 Posted by xantufrog (10072 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: i think with Steam's generous refund system the QC is in the hands of the consumer, though - we can try something fun. If it's truly a hot mess and not as advertised, we aren't screwed out of our money. It's a nice way to discover something random and new

#41 Posted by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@xantufrog said:

I think you need some level of quality control, Valves intentions with Greenlight/EA were noble, and on paper sounds good. But people are people and people suck. They just saw something to exploit.

I personally think the good outweighs the bad.

When I think 'quality control' I think of the days of publishers screwing up games, dumbing down games etc.

When i think of 'hands off' I think of Kerbal Space Program, I think of Space Engineers, games in which publishers would have said no to

#42 Edited by madrocketeer (5888 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

@madrocketeer:why would you want a "curated" store? You want others to decide what you can/should buy for you? The good games are still there - and they aren't always what someone else agrees upon, so what counts as "good" isn't really someone I want someone else deciding. I get that it means there's more to sift through, but that's how I discover things that aren't mass-marketed out the ass to me but I actually enjoy

I was merely commenting on @boycie's comment on Fortnite being better than 95% of the games on Steam, which is technically true.

I'm all for light-touch regulation and letting the consumers decide for themselves, but there is a difference between "good" games versus "bad" games which is what you're talking about, and what I'm talking about, which is "actual games" people actually put effort in versus the vast, unrelenting torrent of lazy asset flips, disguised crypto miners, achievement farmers and other miscellaneous crap that gunk up the Steam store these days. The utter lack of any quality control and the sheer scale of the flood erode the reputations of both Steam and the aspiring indie developers struggling to shine through the mountainous heap of excrement.

The result: consumers who don't have time to put in the effort of sifting through the crap to find the gems shut up shop and stick to the big names. The indies, who once considered PC and Steam their natural home, have now jumped ship in droves to the Switch. The loss of these indies make the PC poorer, and it's all because of Steam's "anything goes" policy.

#43 Posted by ellos (1703 posts) -

Competition is good. Half Life 3 could happen because of it.

#44 Posted by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@ellos said:

Competition is good. Half Life 3 could happen because of it.

that is really not the appeal of Steam by its users.

part of being competing is having a remote clue about what you are actually competing against.

What Steam offers that others do not is an extremely large selection of games that publishers do not want to touch but Steam users want to play, like Green Hell for example or even My Summer Car.

Steam will always be successful if they continue to drop games like Space Engineers and there is really nothing the competition can do to change that. A consumer is not going to drop Space Engineers and pick up Battlefront...just not going to happen.

#45 Edited by Howmakewood (5529 posts) -

Good for the publishers, not so good for the consumers sadly

#46 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24530 posts) -

I don't care so long as the game doesn't require two DRM clients.

#47 Edited by Vatusus (8939 posts) -

Jesus, another one? Having my digital games across so many digital stores isnt what I call accessible... I already own Steam, Origin, GOG, UPlay and Battlenet accounts. I dont need another one... unless they give some tempting free games, that is. Its the only reason I made an Origin, UPlay and Battle.net accounts

#48 Posted by TryIt (12881 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

Jesus, another one? Having my digital games across so many digital stores isnt what I call accessible...

is that problem more or less convenient then having a dedicated space filled with CD disks some of which may or may not be broken?

#49 Posted by Vatusus (8939 posts) -

@tryit said:
@Vatusus said:

Jesus, another one? Having my digital games across so many digital stores isnt what I call accessible...

is that problem more or less convenient then having a dedicated space filled with CD disks some of which may or may not be broken?

Less convenient imo. But I prefer to buy physical games for collecting purposes, not convenience.

#50 Posted by Speeny (603 posts) -

I’ll be sticking with Steam. Though, one day Steam will see some competition coming in most likely. Maybe it will be Epic Games?