Epic bought Rocket League dev.

  • 60 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for Ant_17
#1 Posted by Ant_17 (12883 posts) -

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/psyonix-is-joining-the-epic-family-/

"No, really. What does this mean for Rocket League?"

In the short term, nothing will change at all! We’re still committed to providing Rocket League with frequent updates that have new features, new content, and new ways to play the game for as long as you’ll have us.

In the long-term, we expect to bring Rocket League to the Epic Games store and to leverage our new relationship to grow the game in ways we couldn’t do on our own before. We believe that bringing Rocket League to new audiences with more support is a win for everybody.

Avatar image for ROCKINGFOOL
#2 Posted by ROCKINGFOOL (1793 posts) -

expect them to announce they will stop selling their game on steam store :)

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
#3 Posted by ProtossRushX (5696 posts) -

The Epic Game Store is growing

Avatar image for zmanbarzel
#4 Edited by ZmanBarzel (1986 posts) -

@ROCKINGFOOL said:

expect them to announce they will stop selling their game on steam store :)

Done! Via Verge:

As a result of the deal, Psyonix says it will have access to more resources to support Rocket League’s competitive e-sports league and, by late 2019, will bring the game to Epic’s PC storefront. After that, Rocket League will no longer be available on Valve’s competing Steam store.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#5 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (855 posts) -

Such weird timing. I literally uninstalled RL about half an hour ago. I love the game but some of the custom (MTX, I guess) sound effects gave me this strange dissociated feeling... it's hard to describe - like someone poking my brain through my ears, is as close as I can get to explaining, lol. Not pleasant. Just my problem I guess.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36583 posts) -

@zmanbarzel: And Tim Sweeney said he'd never do something like that. He officially just outlied Todd Howard.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#7 Posted by xantufrog (11693 posts) -

Lol, Sweeney and his lot are such trash. But I hope the windfall benefits the Rocket League devs

Avatar image for Planeforger
#8 Posted by Planeforger (18103 posts) -

It sounds like Epic knows that they're riding a temporary Fortnite bubble, and they're trying to secure other popular multiplayer devs in order to try to control the next big thing.

Avatar image for adsparky
#9 Posted by adsparky (1450 posts) -
Loading Video...

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#10 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (13699 posts) -

Well, the internet won't like this one bit.

Avatar image for vaeh
#11 Posted by Vaeh (554 posts) -

Unreal engine 5 is the future not overpriced Valve Index.

Avatar image for watercrack445
#12 Posted by watercrack445 (1832 posts) -

How many people even play Rocket League?

Avatar image for whatafailure
#13 Posted by WhatAFailure (425 posts) -

Begun the wars, have

Avatar image for dotWithShoes
#14 Posted by dotWithShoes (5553 posts) -

@zmanbarzel said:
@ROCKINGFOOL said:

expect them to announce they will stop selling their game on steam store :)

Done! Via Verge:

As a result of the deal, Psyonix says it will have access to more resources to support Rocket League’s competitive e-sports league and, by late 2019, will bring the game to Epic’s PC storefront. After that, Rocket League will no longer be available on Valve’s competing Steam store.

That's not been decided..via the same article you posted ..

"Rocket League remains available for new purchasers on Steam, and long-term plans will be announced in the future", an Epic spokesperson tells The Verge.

Avatar image for dxmcat
#15 Posted by dxmcat (2748 posts) -

I already knew Epic was a trashcan when they ditched unreal in favor of pre-teens.

This just confirms it.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#16 Posted by Jacanuk (18874 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

Lol, Sweeney and his lot are such trash. But I hope the windfall benefits the Rocket League devs

This does not come from Sweeney, he does not have the mental acuity to think up a move this aggressive

These moves come from Tencent and they are the ones backing this 100% and tells Sweeney how hard he has to jump and with the other purchases from Tencent in Ubisoft and other big publishers/developers this is the first truly serious attack on Valve and the steam platform.

Also let´s not pretend that Rocket league is what it was, sure it´s popular and it has it´s Esports but it´s yesterdays fish.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#17 Posted by uninspiredcup (35001 posts) -

Not really a game I give a shit about, but I feel sad for the people joining the axis of evil.

Avatar image for dxmcat
#18 Posted by dxmcat (2748 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:
@xantufrog said:

Lol, Sweeney and his lot are such trash. But I hope the windfall benefits the Rocket League devs

This does not come from Sweeney, he does not have the mental acuity to think up a move this aggressive

These moves come from Tencent and they are the ones backing this 100% and tells Sweeney how hard he has to jump and with the other purchases from Tencent in Ubisoft and other big publishers/developers this is the first truly serious attack on Valve and the steam platform.

Also let´s not pretend that Rocket league is what it was, sure it´s popular and it has it´s Esports but it´s yesterdays fish.

Tencent has 40% of epic, while only 5% stake of other big gaming companies.

So yea, China just buying their way through. I thought Msoft was bad with their $ timed exclusives........haha.

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
#19 Edited by NoodleFighter (10496 posts) -

Not really surprising because the devs sold Tencent the rights to sell the game in China and blocked the Steam version in China so Chinese gamers are forced to use WeGame if they wanted to play Rocket League. Now they've full sold out to Tencent by letting Epic Games buy them.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#20 Posted by Jacanuk (18874 posts) -
@dxmcat said:
@Jacanuk said:
@xantufrog said:

Lol, Sweeney and his lot are such trash. But I hope the windfall benefits the Rocket League devs

This does not come from Sweeney, he does not have the mental acuity to think up a move this aggressive

These moves come from Tencent and they are the ones backing this 100% and tells Sweeney how hard he has to jump and with the other purchases from Tencent in Ubisoft and other big publishers/developers this is the first truly serious attack on Valve and the steam platform.

Also let´s not pretend that Rocket league is what it was, sure it´s popular and it has it´s Esports but it´s yesterdays fish.

Tencent has 40% of epic, while only 5% stake of other big gaming companies.

So yea, China just buying their way through. I thought Msoft was bad with their $ timed exclusives........haha.

Well, various sources have Tencent at 40-50% but again that does not mean this does not come from them.

Why do you think it comes now? and not before when Epic didn´t have a massive Tencent to back them.

But ya China is def. buying their way in the world so they can begin to control it, just look at the Huawei news.

Avatar image for dxmcat
#21 Posted by dxmcat (2748 posts) -

@Jacanuk: It comes now because their coffers are stocked with all the fortnite money.

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
#22 Posted by NoodleFighter (10496 posts) -

@dxmcat said:
@Jacanuk said:
@xantufrog said:

Lol, Sweeney and his lot are such trash. But I hope the windfall benefits the Rocket League devs

This does not come from Sweeney, he does not have the mental acuity to think up a move this aggressive

These moves come from Tencent and they are the ones backing this 100% and tells Sweeney how hard he has to jump and with the other purchases from Tencent in Ubisoft and other big publishers/developers this is the first truly serious attack on Valve and the steam platform.

Also let´s not pretend that Rocket league is what it was, sure it´s popular and it has it´s Esports but it´s yesterdays fish.

Tencent has 40% of epic, while only 5% stake of other big gaming companies.

So yea, China just buying their way through. I thought Msoft was bad with their $ timed exclusives........haha.

Tencent are buying out games on Steam and making deals with publishers to release their games on the WeGame platform in China exclusively so Epic Games performing the same tactics as one of their share holders especially on a game their shareholder already bought a part of. Rocket League is basically owned by Tencent since Tencent already paid the devs the rights to sell the game in China and blocked it on Steam so Chinese gamers couldn't buy it.

Avatar image for FireEmblem_Man
#23 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19846 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

Lol, Sweeney and his lot are such trash. But I hope the windfall benefits the Rocket League devs

We let them do this..... Majority of games is run by UE4

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#24 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36583 posts) -
@watercrack445 said:

How many people even play Rocket League?

I play it. Bought a Switch version.

Avatar image for dxmcat
#25 Posted by dxmcat (2748 posts) -

Distribution rights are very different from outright owning a company, rofl.

Avatar image for briguyb13
#26 Posted by briguyb13 (3152 posts) -

Wow, the Steam fan brigade continues even in this thread. O.O

Avatar image for mumunaro
#27 Edited by mumunaro (158 posts) -

Tencent already launched their own store on the Western front.

Epic and Sweeney are idiots if they dont think Tencent has already roadmapped their future to be fully assimilated into their WeGame business. Including other fools on this very forums lol

What is extremely weird is the very muted response from Steam though. It seems like they are very sluggish in their response, if there are even any plans.

Avatar image for Planeforger
#28 Edited by Planeforger (18103 posts) -

@briguyb13: I'm definitely not a Steam-exclusive PC gamer (I use GOG just as much, plus the Humble store, etc.).

You don't have to be part of the "Steam fan brigade" to predict that Epic's aggressive purchasing of exclusive rights is bad news for gamers, and the industry as a whole.

This isn't about friendly competition - they aren't offering a superior service that is naturally drawing away customers. Epic/Tencent are just outright trying to weaken Steam by investing their money in anti-consumer practices.

Avatar image for briguyb13
#29 Posted by briguyb13 (3152 posts) -

@Planeforger said:

@briguyb13: I'm definitely not a Steam-exclusive PC gamer (I use GOG just as much, plus the Humble store, etc.).

You don't have to be part of the "Steam fan brigade" to predict that Epic's aggressive purchasing of exclusive rights is bad news for gamers, and the industry as a whole.

This isn't about friendly competition - they aren't offering a superior service that is naturally drawing away customers. Epic/Tencent are just outright trying to weaken Steam by investing their money in anti-consumer practices.

Well, whatever it takes to bring Steam down a notch or two.. good thing.

Avatar image for X_CAPCOM_X
#30 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8706 posts) -
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@xantufrog said:

Lol, Sweeney and his lot are such trash. But I hope the windfall benefits the Rocket League devs

We let them do this..... Majority of games is run by UE4

Just because we buy those games doesn't mean we support those practices though. It's why most of us buy games on GOG and Steam. You probably as well.

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#31 Edited by 04dcarraher (23245 posts) -

@briguyb13 said:
@Planeforger said:

@briguyb13: I'm definitely not a Steam-exclusive PC gamer (I use GOG just as much, plus the Humble store, etc.).

You don't have to be part of the "Steam fan brigade" to predict that Epic's aggressive purchasing of exclusive rights is bad news for gamers, and the industry as a whole.

This isn't about friendly competition - they aren't offering a superior service that is naturally drawing away customers. Epic/Tencent are just outright trying to weaken Steam by investing their money in anti-consumer practices.

Well, whatever it takes to bring Steam down a notch or two.. good thing.

All this stuff EPIC is doing to strong arm themselves into the DD platform. If you want to be on top you have to provide better options.... not forcing people with "take it or leave it" mentality forcing exclusivity with 3rd party titles on a open platform.....

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
#32 Edited by Midnightshade29 (6000 posts) -

@dxmcat said:

I already knew Epic was a trashcan when they ditched unreal in favor of pre-teens.

This just confirms it.

You just figured this out. Hell, I knew this when we got gears of war models in UT2007 and they killed the franchise instead of making new ones. I was a huge fan back in the ut99 -ut2004 days. They can keep that trash teeneboper game fortnite. The fad can't die quick enough.

Avatar image for dxmcat
#33 Posted by dxmcat (2748 posts) -
@Midnightshade29 said:
@dxmcat said:

I already knew Epic was a trashcan when they ditched unreal in favor of pre-teens.

This just confirms it.

You just figured this out. Hell, I knew this when we got gears of war models in UT2007 and they killed the franchise instead of making new ones. I was a huge fan back in the ut99 -ut2004 days. They can keep that trash teeneboper game fortnite. The fad can't die quick enough.

It was a downfall after 99;

2k4 seriously overrated.

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
#34 Posted by NoodleFighter (10496 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:
@dxmcat said:

I already knew Epic was a trashcan when they ditched unreal in favor of pre-teens.

This just confirms it.

You just figured this out. Hell, I knew this when we got gears of war models in UT2007 and they killed the franchise instead of making new ones. I was a huge fan back in the ut99 -ut2004 days. They can keep that trash teeneboper game fortnite. The fad can't die quick enough.

Gears Of War was originally going to be an Unreal game called Unreal Warfare. So its likely they just used assets from that project on Unreal Tournament 3. They were trashcan to me when they started calling PC gamers pirates and said that everyone should only develop for consoles. They only good things they did for PC gaming after that was allowing the unreal engine to be accessible to indie developers and giving Tripwire interactive prize money which helped kickstart the Killing Floor and Red Orchestra series.

Avatar image for ten_pints
#35 Posted by Ten_Pints (3906 posts) -

What the point in buying old games... this is like Microsoft buying Minecraft after pretty much everyone already owned it.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#36 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3432 posts) -

Rocket League is a serious game of the generation contender. People downplaying the game in this thread are either foolish or naive.

Avatar image for dimebag667
#37 Posted by dimebag667 (1303 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: exactly. Do people not care that they're paying for China to dominate all entertainment?

Avatar image for raining51
#38 Posted by Raining51 (1145 posts) -

Doesn't htis kind of thing happen all the time? I doubt this will affect Rocket League.

Avatar image for mazuiface
#39 Posted by mazuiface (931 posts) -

Asset stripping operation.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#40 Posted by PC_Rocks (2569 posts) -

Another prediction: Tencent will buy Bluehole completely.

Avatar image for gameofthering
#41 Posted by gameofthering (11276 posts) -

As long as they keep all future games on Steam as well as Epic, I'll be fine with it.

Avatar image for unrealgunner
#43 Posted by UnrealGunner (1071 posts) -

Another group of sellouts I will never support them again

Avatar image for ajstyles
#44 Posted by AJStyles (1082 posts) -

LOL

Keep going Epic! Destroy Valve! They are the worst.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#45 Posted by xantufrog (11693 posts) -

@ajstyles: can you justify?

Avatar image for Litchie
#46 Edited by Litchie (24328 posts) -

There are smart people in the world. Then there are these guys.

@knight-k said:

Hermits getting f'd like usual.

Their overlords have them by the balls.

Also don't forget to buy that new 2080 RTX card for 1000 bucks there hermit, you need to be able to play your indie exclusives at 200fps now.

@ajstyles said:

LOL

Keep going Epic! Destroy Valve! They are the worst.

Let me guess. You're Sony fanboys? Really stupid posts usually comes from those.

Avatar image for briguyb13
#47 Posted by briguyb13 (3152 posts) -

@Litchie said:

There are smart people in the world. Then there are these guys.

@briguyb13 said:

Wow, the Steam fan brigade continues even in this thread. O.O

@knight-k said:

Hermits getting f'd like usual.

Their overlords have them by the balls.

Also don't forget to buy that new 2080 RTX card for 1000 bucks there hermit, you need to be able to play your indie exclusives at 200fps now.

@ajstyles said:

LOL

Keep going Epic! Destroy Valve! They are the worst.

Let me guess. You're all Sony fanboys? Really stupid posts usually comes from those.

Nope. Maybe you're the "stupid" one for making such assumptions. I think both Sony and Steam are wrong for aggressively going after Japanese games by needlessly censoring them, while allowing Western games to be as over-sexualized as they want to be.

On the one hand, you might think these companies are being xenophobic, but on Sony's end, they are technically a Japanese company, but they've recently moved PlayStation headquarters from their homeland to California to usurp the ratings board by censoring content in their games.

I think in both companies' cases they're just too big for their own good and over-stepping their bounds.

Avatar image for Litchie
#48 Edited by Litchie (24328 posts) -

@briguyb13: It was a mistake to include your post. I removed it fast, but apparently you quoted me faster. Sorry man.

Avatar image for dxmcat
#49 Posted by dxmcat (2748 posts) -

@Litchie: No need to "guess" considering their history.

Avatar image for briguyb13
#50 Posted by briguyb13 (3152 posts) -

@Litchie said:

@briguyb13: It was a mistake to include your post. I removed it fast, but apparently you quoted me faster. Sorry man.

Thanks man. From what I've seen since I've been back posting here lately, you're one of the good guys. :)