Enough with the SSBB depth doubt

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jimmi323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Jimmi323
Member since 2006 • 870 Posts

Everyone who has ever called SSB shallow, please read this. It is a list, in alphabetical order, of the various techniques and moves one can employ in SSB. Anyone who reads (and understands!) this and still calls it shallow needs to have their heads checked.

I did not write this, all the credit goes to the thread author.

Link.

Please do not post in this thread bashing SSB's depth without reading at least some of this first.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
i was tempted to make a "enough with the ssbb threads" but thought that it would just annoy the mods, and i think that these people are just getting sick and tired and annoyed of hearing about brawl, as am i, its gonna be a great game, but geeze the threads about it are getting out of hand
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 tbone29
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

This will do nothing.

Kudos for the effort though, Super Smash Bros. can be incredibly deep and that's all there is to it.

Miles0T0Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Miles0T0Prower
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
The game is only shallow to people who want to play as over mcho karater/boxer guys with huge muscles over sexy school girls
Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

The game is only shallow to people who want to play as over mcho karater/boxer guys with huge muscles over sexy school girlsMiles0T0Prower

I can understand the sexy school girl fetishes, but brawl has as much depth as any fighting game.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The problem doesn't lie with the move list it lies in the reactions to those moves.

The game doesn't veer from the "hard hit" "light hit" reactions for certain moves.

There's no way Smash Bros is even close to a fighter like Virtua Fighter because all the reactions are the same for a bunch of different attacks.

Marth6781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Marth6781
Member since 2007 • 2564 Posts

The problem doesn't lie with the move list it lies in the reactions to those moves.

The game doesn't veer from the "hard hit" "light hit" reactions for certain moves.

There's no way Smash Bros is even close to a fighter like Virtua Fighter because all the reactions are the same for a bunch of different attacks.

Jaysonguy

No they aren't, smash is more deep and creative, alot of things are done off the fly, if you press the move stick too hard you may mess up your combo and have to improvise a new strategy.

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Haee
Member since 2006 • 1378 Posts

[QUOTE="Miles0T0Prower"]The game is only shallow to people who want to play as over mcho karater/boxer guys with huge muscles over sexy school girlsTalesofRaGnArOk

I can understand the sexy school girl fetishes, but brawl has as much depth as any fighting game.

Melee had "depth", yes im completely aware of cancels but id had to disagree when you say it has as much depth as say something like Third Strike. Lets not fumble into an arguement why otherwise its going to get ugly just like the other thousand posts about Third Strike vs Melee.

Is canceling confirmed for Brawl btw?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Marth6781

No they aren't, smash is more deep and creative, alot of things are done off the fly, if you press the move stick too hard you may mess up your combo and have to improvise a new strategy.

You missed my point

I'm not talking about the attacker I'm talking about the attackee

The reactions are all the same, who cares if you have 40 moves if 20 of them make the character react the same way?

It's a simple beat'em up. The junk food of gaming.

Stabby2486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stabby2486
Member since 2006 • 6688 Posts
[QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

[QUOTE="Miles0T0Prower"]The game is only shallow to people who want to play as over mcho karater/boxer guys with huge muscles over sexy school girlsHaee

Melee had "depth", yes im completely aware of cancels but id had to disagree when you say it has as much depth as say something like Third Strike. Lets not fumble into an arguement why otherwise its going to get ugly just like the other thousand posts about Third Strike vs Melee.

Unfortunately it's been with removed along with wavedashing. A Israeli pro Ssbm player posted his impressions of the demo in Japan on smash boards.

skulper34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 skulper34
Member since 2004 • 2747 Posts
[QUOTE="Marth6781"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

You missed my point

The reactions are all the same, who cares if you have 40 moves if 20 of them make the character react the same way?

LOL! he so wishes he could have a wii and ssbb what a fanboy

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Haee
[QUOTE="Haee"][QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

[QUOTE="Miles0T0Prower"]The game is only shallow to people who want to play as over mcho karater/boxer guys with huge muscles over sexy school girlsStabby2486

Unfortunately it's been with removed along with wavedashing. A Israeli pro Ssbm player posted his impressions of the demo in Japan on smash boards.

I question if Brawl has any potential making it to the competitive scene now.

Avatar image for NintendoAddict7
NintendoAddict7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NintendoAddict7
Member since 2004 • 1213 Posts
[QUOTE="Stabby2486"][QUOTE="Haee"][QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

[QUOTE="Miles0T0Prower"]The game is only shallow to people who want to play as over mcho karater/boxer guys with huge muscles over sexy school girlsHaee

That's only one form of canceling. Jump-canceling is still in, edge canceling is still in, and I'm sure other cancels will be discovered.

Also, who cares about L-canceling when it is something that every competitive player could do with no problem.

lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Marth6781"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

skulper34

You missed my point

LOL! he so wishes he could have a wii and ssbb what a fanboy

Lol funny you should mention that Jaysonguy here has a Wii
Onetouchable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Onetouchable
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts

Jaysonguy

You missed my point

the reactions may sometimes be the same, but the number of frames it takes to preform and recover from the different attacks are different. different situations call for different attacks.

Marth6781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Marth6781
[QUOTE="Stabby2486"][QUOTE="Haee"][QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

It will, contrary to belief a half decent player can make wavedashing useless, its a useless technique that isnt all that effective.

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Haee
[QUOTE="Haee"]I question if Brawl has any potential making it to the competitive scene now.

NintendoAddict7

That's only one form of canceling. Jump-canceling is still in, edge canceling is still in, and I'm sure other cancels will be discovered.

Also, who cares about L-canceling when it is something that every competitive player could do with no problem.

Oh my bad, I thought that canceling in general has been ripped. I retract my previous statement.

Demetri_OS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Demetri_OS
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

Highway potholes have more depth than SSBB.

SSBB is all eye candy and button mashing. If you feel SSBB is as deep as Virtua Fighter, Tekken and even Soul Caliber - get your head checked.

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Haee

It will, contrary to belief a half decent player can make wavedashing useless, its a useless technique that isnt all that effective.Marth6781

Please explain how wave-dashing is useless by any half decent player.

Notsogr8one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Notsogr8one
Member since 2004 • 3739 Posts

[QUOTE="Marth6781"]It will, contrary to belief a half decent player can make wavedashing useless, its a useless technique that isnt all that effective.Haee

Seriously, if nothing else, it's a very good *run towards player, have them attack, wave dash away, wave dash back, waste* move
NintendoAddict7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NintendoAddict7

SSBB is all eye candy and button mashing. If you feel SSBB is as deep as Virtua Fighter, Tekken and even Soul Caliber - get your head checked.

Demetri_OS

Have you played all those games at a tournament level? No. Your statement has no credibility.

You already lost al credibility by saying it's a button masher. If you mash buttons in SSB you will just fall off the stage and die.

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Haee
[QUOTE="Haee"]

[QUOTE="Marth6781"]It will, contrary to belief a half decent player can make wavedashing useless, its a useless technique that isnt all that effective.Notsogr8one

Seriously, if nothing else, it's a very good *run towards player, have them attack, wave dash away, wave dash back, waste* move

As I see it, the use of wavedashing is a quick and flexible use which in a result gives your character movement superiority. I can look at L-Canceling and crouch canceling the same way.

Marth6781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Marth6781
[QUOTE="Notsogr8one"][QUOTE="Haee"]

[QUOTE="Marth6781"]It will, contrary to belief a half decent player can make wavedashing useless, its a useless technique that isnt all that effective.Haee

As I see it, the use of wavedashing is a quick and flexible use which in a result gives your character movement superiority. I can look at L-Canceling and crouch canceling the same way.

its hard to explain, but if you play me you'll find out.

NintendoAddict7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NintendoAddict7

Crouch-canceling is more of a countering technique used to punish poor spacing and poor decisions.

Haee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Haee
[QUOTE="Haee"][QUOTE="Notsogr8one"][QUOTE="Haee"]

[QUOTE="Marth6781"]It will, contrary to belief a half decent player can make wavedashing useless, its a useless technique that isnt all that effective.Marth6781

Where you live!?!? :P

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

Demetri_OS

Those closest those games have to complexity is trying to put in massive combos faster than your opponent. The most depth those games have is using fast moves, and then using a powerful move when you have the time. The list of moves that the T.C. linked to were moves that any character could do, and all involved positioning and moving. The fact that the characters all have wildly different attacks, with identical inputs, puts the focus on timing and positioning, instead of simply memorizing all the big combos. The SSB series is useless as a button masher, because unlike conventional fighting games, you aren't forced into close proximity.

Marth6781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Marth6781
[QUOTE="Marth6781"][QUOTE="Haee"][QUOTE="Notsogr8one"][QUOTE="Haee"]

Where you live!?!? :P

georgia(UsA), we can just play brawl online.

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
Anybody who says it isn't deep needs to actually look into the advanced techniques....honestly I find it embarrassing on their part when they show they don't know much about fighters.
Axel_rocks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 Axel_rocks14
Member since 2007 • 780 Posts

Jaysonguy

You missed my point

I'll listen to you when you have actually played the game. Goodbye
Masterfubu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Masterfubu
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

Demetri_OS
its much deeper. i love tekken but button jashing is too easy. in ssbb u take shielding rolling special moves and even stages in to account. only thing that dont effect u is music honestly. the fact that there are so many stratagies and ways to p.ay make it imho one of the deepest fighters out there
sts9kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sts9kid
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts
[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"]

Tylendal

Those closest those games have to complexity is trying to put in massive combos faster than your opponent. The most depth those games have is using fast moves, and then using a powerful move when you have the time. The list of moves that the T.C. linked to were moves that any character could do, and all involved positioning and moving. The fact that the characters all have wildly different attacks, with identical inputs, puts the focus on timing and positioning, instead of simply memorizing all the big combos. The SSB series is useless as a button masher, because unlike conventional fighting games, you aren't forced into close proximity.

You must not play many modern fighters, games like Soul Calibur & Virtua Fighter hardly ever rely on long combo strings. Each game is unique and has it's own flow.

It would be foolish to say that the SSB series is a button masher or doesn't have any depth but if you're talking about complexity almost every other fighter kills SSB. We're talking about 70+ unique moves per character on many games.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="Demetri_OS"]

sts9kid

You must not play many modern fighters, games like Soul Calibur & Virtua Fighter hardly ever rely on long combo strings. Each game is unique and has it's own flow.

It would be foolish to say that the SSB series is a button masher or doesn't have any depth but if you're talking about complexity almost every other fighter kills SSB. We're talking about 70+ unique moves per character on many games.

I happen to own Soul Calibur II. And I never said that they were about memorizing combos (well I did sort of say it), I said that the emphasis was on balancing the speed and power of the moves that you are using.

The amount of moves each character has is probably the worst measure of complexity. What's important is how the game allows you, encourages you, or inhibits you from using the moves at your disposal, and that is a point where Brawl is very strong.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
I played SSBM for about 10 hours by myself and the rest was spent with friends. It just isn't very fun to keep killing computers that have no reactions (no screaming or laughing or swearing when they die). The social parts of the SSB series are the reason i like it so much. Not the depth. Although i have never played a fighter that has that many moves.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

I like the Soul Calibur series, but a lot of the time, it feels like a button mashing game. It's just that you can't get very far away from your fighter. In Melee, you can roll away from them easily, and pull together awesome moves from afar.

Also, it's a great party game for four people. The stages are huge, there are many modes, and the items make the game that much more interesting.