Enemy Starfighter - 2015's Sleeper HIt

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Wasdie
Wasdie

53593

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts

Enemy Starfighter is a space combat, RTS, roguelike with a procedural generated campaign which has you flying an advanced fighter as well as controlling a fleet as you conquer those who oppose your rule. The game is developed by Marauder Interactive which was founded by Mike Tipul, a long time Bungie employee who worked on many of the Halo games.

So far it's exclusive on the PC and built around the Oculus Rift but is completely enjoyable on a normal monitor. It's not a deep space-sim like Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen but has Homeworld inspired RTS gameplay along side the more arcady flight.

You grow your fleet by accomplishing objectives within an allotted time, disrupt mining/trade of the system you are attacking, destroy the fleets of the enemy, and make way for your colonization/assimilation fleet to either assimilate the newly conquered into your empire or purge the unpure.

Noteable things about the game are the brilliant art direction and amazing sound design as well as the scope of the project. Extremely well polished for a small studio even in it's pre-release state. People who have had the privilege of playing a press prototype of the game said it's unbelievably fun and well made.

This is a big sleeper hit that nobody is talking about because nobody knows about it. Early access may happen yet this year but it's looking like this is a 2015 title. Will probably launch along side of the retail release of the Oculus Rift.

Here's some more videos. The oldest dates back to 2012!

You can clearly see the progress made over the last two years.

Avatar image for mems_1224
mems_1224

56919

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

"space combat, RTS, roguelike with a procedural generated campaign"

damn, throw in "survival, fps, open world, multiplayer, zombies" and you'll have all the biggest buzzwords in the industry in your one game.

Avatar image for lawlessx
lawlessx

48753

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

you had me at space combat and RTS.

Avatar image for Heil68
Heil68

58502

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58502 Posts

Good thing it's not Rift only.

Avatar image for Wasdie
Wasdie

53593

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts
@mems_1224 said:

"space combat, RTS, roguelike with a procedural generated campaign"

damn, throw in "survival, fps, open world, multiplayer, zombies" and you'll have all the biggest buzzwords in the industry in your one game.

You fly a ship while giving pretty broad orders to your fleet in a 3D map as well as build up your fleet through completing objectives. Each mission is procedurally generated and increases in difficulty. A "mission" is an entire sector loaded with enemies that you must systematically destroy. Once you do that you move onto the next. It's a roguelike because the main game mode has you going until you are dead. When you die you restart.

You call them buzzwords, I call them gameplay descriptions. A space combat, RTS, roguelike with a procedrually generated campaign is exactly what the game is. All of those elements are part of the core of the game.

Avatar image for Wasdie
Wasdie

53593

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts
@Heil68 said:

Good thing it's not Rift only.

Yeah, but apparently it's already amazing on even the early builds of the Rift.

Avatar image for clyde46
clyde46

49061

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@lawlessx said:

you had me at space combat and RTS.

Same.

Avatar image for GarGx1
GarGx1

10934

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Looks like fun should be worth keeping an eye on

Avatar image for musicalmac
musicalmac

25029

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25029 Posts

Makes me excited for an X-Wing style game... We need a new one of those so bad that this'll do just fine. :D

Avatar image for mems_1224
mems_1224

56919

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@Wasdie said:
@mems_1224 said:

"space combat, RTS, roguelike with a procedural generated campaign"

damn, throw in "survival, fps, open world, multiplayer, zombies" and you'll have all the biggest buzzwords in the industry in your one game.

You fly a ship while giving pretty broad orders to your fleet in a 3D map as well as build up your fleet through completing objectives. Each mission is procedurally generated and increases in difficulty. A "mission" is an entire sector loaded with enemies that you must systematically destroy. Once you do that you move onto the next. It's a roguelike because the main game mode has you going until you are dead. When you die you restart.

You call them buzzwords, I call them gameplay descriptions. A space combat, RTS, roguelike with a procedrually generated campaign is exactly what the game is. All of those elements are part of the core of the game.

I was joking dude. This actually looks cool.

Avatar image for Wasdie
Wasdie

53593

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts

@mems_1224: Hard to tell around here.

Avatar image for musicalmac
musicalmac

25029

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#12 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25029 Posts

I bet with Rift, this will be a completely different game. It'll be a tenth the fun without Rift. Like most games, probably.

Avatar image for bldgirsh
BldgIrsh

3044

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#13 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Looks enjoyable.

Avatar image for pelvist
pelvist

7986

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#14 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7986 Posts

I really cant wait to play some of these games in VR.

Avatar image for adamosmaki
adamosmaki

10718

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#15 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

the more space games the merrier though i was hoping for a solely RTS based game ala sins of a solar empire or homeworld

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

42749

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 42749 Posts

Might pick up rift if it's a decent price. With all the space shit and flight sims it's getting better support than Nvidia 3D vision did at launch.

Avatar image for g0ddyX
g0ddyX

3914

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Getting a lot of homeworld vibes here. Will be on my radar no doubt.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

5262

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

holy shit. this looks absolutely incredible. i would like to buy it immediately but of course it's not out yet.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
foxhound_fox

98532

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Space games coming back from the grave!

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

38222

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

So many space games lately. This one looks kinda neat I guess

Avatar image for lawlessx
lawlessx

48753

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#21 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Space games coming back from the grave!

sooner or later EA will develop one

Avatar image for mr_huggles_dog
Mr_Huggles_dog

7805

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#22 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I can see why it would be a sleeper hit.

Looks....ok.

Avatar image for blangenakker
blangenakker

3240

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Apparently its a good time to be a space sim fan

Avatar image for jhonMalcovich
jhonMalcovich

7090

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Looks interesting

Avatar image for godspellwh
GodspellWH

1078

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#25 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

I'm only planning to play the ones made by a studio with people that have actual known experience in making these type of games. Since its not deep like SC or Elite I'll probably pass.

Avatar image for Wasdie
Wasdie

53593

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#26 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts

@godspellwh said:

I'm only planning to play the ones made by a studio with people that have actual known experience in making these type of games. Since its not deep like SC or Elite I'll probably pass.

That has to be the dumbest reason not to play a game I've ever heard.

Avatar image for Wasdie
Wasdie

53593

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#27 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

the more space games the merrier though i was hoping for a solely RTS based game ala sins of a solar empire or homeworld

Then you want either Flagship...

Loading Video...

or Shallow Space

Loading Video...

It is a damn good time to be a fan of space games.

Avatar image for godspellwh
GodspellWH

1078

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#28 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

@Wasdie:

I been highly disappointing in some these game made by small time new developers.

Avatar image for Wasdie
Wasdie

53593

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#29 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts

@godspellwh said:

@Wasdie:

I been highly disappointing in some these game made by small time new developers.

Like which games? There are usually warning signs if a game is going to be terrible or not well before it's released.

Avatar image for godspellwh
GodspellWH

1078

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#30 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

@Wasdie:

Day One: Gary Incidents

Infinity Runner

Avatar image for Wasdie
Wasdie

53593

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#31 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53593 Posts

@godspellwh: This guy isn't really a no namer. He's a veteran dev from Bungie. He designed the few space combat missions of Halo Reach. All of the previews and all of the press the game have given the game nothing but praise.

Avatar image for godspellwh
GodspellWH

1078

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

@Wasdie:

He's the lead game developer of the game? Never played Halo Reach so I can't really judge. Sometimes these games end up less than what they aim for due to limited resources and other issues that we never know of.

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

37727

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 37727 Posts

Except for the low polygon asteroids everything else looked decent.

Kind of worrying though, there's so many of these types of games coming up like Dangerous Elite, Star Citizen, No Man's Sky, now Enemy Starfighter (and I don't knows what else), I'm kind of wondering if they're all gonna start to over-saturate the market with their games to the point where each one looks great but one franchise will dominate the others.

Anyhow, hope Sony gets a clue and decides to bring back the Colony War series.

Avatar image for AdrianWerner
AdrianWerner

28441

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#34  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Except for the low polygon asteroids everything else looked decent.

Kind of worrying though, there's so many of these types of games coming up like Dangerous Elite, Star Citizen, No Man's Sky, now Enemy Starfighter (and I don't knows what else), I'm kind of wondering if they're all gonna start to over-saturate the market with their games to the point where each one looks great but one franchise will dominate the others.

Propably not, as long as they are different enough from eachother. All of those are quite different. Enemy Starfighter not only has the tactical elements, but also is the only one out of the bunch that focuses solely on combat, so it should be attractive to people wanting just big space battles, not a living world.

Avatar image for adamosmaki
adamosmaki

10718

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#36 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@adamosmaki said:

the more space games the merrier though i was hoping for a solely RTS based game ala sins of a solar empire or homeworld

Then you want either Flagship...

Loading Video...

or Shallow Space

Loading Video...

It is a damn good time to be a fan of space games.

That shallow space game does looks quite similar to sins ( interface wise ) and also reminds me a bit of homeworld and looks quite promising

Avatar image for Malta_1980
Malta_1980

11890

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#37 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

hhhmmm quite interesting !!!

Avatar image for Mystery_Writer
Mystery_Writer

8351

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#38 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

I dig the vibe and love the muffled sound fx. Thanks for sharing.