EG: The Witcher 3: What is a next-gen RPG? + PS4 vs Xbox One

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by danabo (2438 posts) -

Snippets:

The Witcher 3 will only be released on PC, PS4 and Xbox One - next-gen hardware. It won't be constrained by needing to work on PS3 and Xbox 360. That, CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwinski told me, would result in The Witcher 2.5. "It would be a different game," he said. "It wouldn't be this game." So what makes The Witcher 3 a next-gen RPG?

"We will have the new mimic system, more animations, more sophisticated dialogue, editors, and this would result in more sophisticated depictions and dialogues with subtler camera work, with sounds helping tell the story rather than just be there in the background," writer Jakub Szamalek told me.

-

The New Consoles

"On the PS4 it's very good to have the fast memory," said Balázs Török, "everyone is really happy about that - but the problem is the game has to function on everything.

"No we are not holding it back," he added, "it's just we are not at the stage right now to go in and optimise on each platform specifically. We want to make the game and the whole engine run on everything, with all the features and bells and whistles, and then just optimise, optimise, optimise.

"I don't see a major power difference. The memory is very different but I already said that before. Pure computation power, if you just measure that, there's no major difference."

Both new consoles are like PCs anyway, he added. It won't be until teams really delve into low-level optimisations that the true grunt of each will come out.

"The Xbox One is pretty easy to understand because not just the hardware is similar to the PC, but everything like the SDK, the API is really similar to what you would find on a PC. On PS4 this is a little bit more complicated, but I personally worked on PS3 before.

-

"We've got Kinect support but it's too early to speak about it," game director Konrad Tomaskiewicz said. "For sure we got some specific features for Xbox One and PS4. I can't spoil much but yes we are thinking about it."

-

No paid DLC, no multiplayer, maybe an Arena

"No. No no no," was Adam Badowski's emphatic answer to whether The Witcher 3 will have paid DLC. "Not for small DLC or something like that.

"Maybe there's an option to have a huge expansion pack or something because of the size and scope of the game. This is the only option [for paid DLC]. But small DLC and DLC packs: it's not big enough [to charge for]."

FULL, and much more in depth, ARTICLE HERE

#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (25333 posts) -

Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are "next generation" rpg's. Witcher is not. It is a pretty simple hack and slash game similar to fable with some interesting story direction.

#3 Edited by gameofthering (11115 posts) -

I hope we get another Deus Ex soon.

Avatar image for trentonspliff80
#4 Posted by trentonspliff80 (185 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are "next generation" rpg's. Witcher is not. It is a pretty simple hack and slash game similar to fable with some interesting story direction.

You probably didn't understand it, or didn't play it. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was not nearly as fleshed out(as an RPG) as either of the witcher games.

#5 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

I like his stance on DLC. Nice find TC.

#6 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

@danabo said:

"The Xbox One is pretty easy to understand because not just the hardware is similar to the PC, but everything like the SDK, the API is really similar to what you would find on a PC. On PS4 this is a little bit more complicated, but I personally worked on PS3 before.

I was told the opposite by the internet mob.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#7 Edited by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Not charging for DLC unless it's a big expansion is good

Can't wait for this game, it's gonna look sexy

#8 Posted by PAL360 (28813 posts) -

This game will be a masterpiece!

Avatar image for trentonspliff80
#9 Posted by trentonspliff80 (185 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

My guess is GOTY 2014

#10 Posted by dvalo9 (1301 posts) -

@This game is my reason for next gen hardware. Cant wait.

The W2 (x360) was the best looking console game last gen now the W3 will blow everyone away.

#11 Edited by PAL360 (28813 posts) -

@trentonspliff80 said:

@PAL360 said:

My guess is GOTY 2014

My guess too, unless Bethesda comes with Fallout 4 or TESVI.

#12 Posted by padaporra (3508 posts) -

I do like they are not working with neither the 360 nor the PS3.

#13 Edited by SteXmaN (549 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

xD good one

#14 Edited by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

#15 Edited by Sushiglutton (6828 posts) -

My most anticipated game for sure, can't wait :)!

#16 Posted by millerlight89 (18658 posts) -

Not holding my breath on this game being great. The 2nd game left a horrible taste in my mouth.

#17 Posted by shawn30 (4396 posts) -

@edidili said:

@danabo said:

As was I.

#18 Edited by Merex760 (4381 posts) -

Expansion packs > DLC. It's nice to see a developer than understands this.

#19 Posted by Snugenz (13388 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I like his stance on DLC. Nice find TC.

CD Projekt Red make games that are actually "by gamers for gamers".

#20 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

@trentonspliff80 said:

@PAL360 said:

My guess is GOTY 2014

My guess too, unless Bethesda comes with Fallout 4 or TESVI.

I still don't see how those games do so well. They pretty much need modders help to make them playable.

#21 Edited by NFJSupreme (6506 posts) -

CDPR are the most gamer friendly devs out there

#22 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

another best on PC title

#23 Posted by Heil68 (57859 posts) -

"On the PS4 it's very good to have the fast memory,"

Will be getting the PS4 version then.

#24 Edited by psn8214 (14930 posts) -

This game is gonna be the tits.

#25 Edited by casharmy (9388 posts) -

"On the PS4 it's very good to have the fast memory," said Balázs Török, "everyone is really happy about that - but the problem is the game has to function on everything.

That implies...if they utilize PS4 according to it's true abilities that It would not function on the same level with xbox 1 hardware. We know the PC has superior hardware available over PS4 so he can't be referring to that and the only platforms they are developing on are PC, PS4 and xbox 1.

Even tho he states after "we are not holding it back" why would he even need to talk about PS4's capabilities and the fact that "the game has to function on everything" if they were not in fact holding something back to make it function on everything(I.E xbox 1)?

More or less they are saying they are holding back PS4 and PC versions due to the hardware limitations of xbox 1. Maybe this will not end up being the case but it certainly sounds like that is what he is suggesting.

#26 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

@edidili said:

@danabo said:

he's talking about API. DirectX vs the mess Sony has for APIs with psGL, libGEN and Nvidia's CG. But HW wise PS4's easier because of the memory set-up. GDDR5 is just there, you don't need any tricks to increase performance to bandage the DDR3 bandwidth bottleneck with a limited memory space like esRam.

#27 Posted by SteXmaN (549 posts) -

"Consoles are consoles. PS4, Xbox one it makes no difference.

The specs are arbitrary, the differences blurred. If i'm to choose between one console or another...

I'd rather not choose at all." *epic witcher music plays*

I had to xD

#28 Edited by edidili (3449 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

he's talking about API. DirectX vs the mess Sony has for APIs with psGL, libGEN and Nvidia's CG. But HW wise PS4's easier because of the memory set-up. GDDR5 is just there, you don't need any tricks to increase performance to bandage the DDR3 bandwidth bottleneck with a limited memory space like esRam.

Sure but dealing with RAM is just one part of developing a game. Is not everything.

#29 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

"No. No no no," was Adam Badowski's emphatic answer to whether The Witcher 3 will have paid DLC. "Not for small DLC or something like that.

"Maybe there's an option to have a huge expansion pack or something because of the size and scope of the game. This is the only option [for paid DLC]. But small DLC and DLC packs: it's not big enough [to charge for]."

I like this, everyone should learn and stop charging for 1h of new gameplay.