Editorial: Nintendo is teh Doomed and Apple is the future!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Regardless of the audience Nintendo plans to chase, Apple has a chance to gain a lot of ground.

Yes, the DS is the default handheld system of this generation – with 132 million in people's hands. But it had a three-year head start on Apple's devices – and Apple is closing fast, with 100 million iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads sold since 2007. Plus, Apple only recently realized the gaming potential of its devices and begun marketing campaigns around that.

Are Apple's products and the 3DS mutually exclusive? Of course not. There will certainly be a segment of both the gaming world and the mass market that buys both. What Nintendo needs to worry about though, are people who put off purchasing the 3DS until the price hits their comfort zone. That gives Apple an even longer window to beef up its gaming offerings.

The longer Apple can keep people distracted from the 3DS, the shakier third-party publisher support for the system will be. Publishers chase installed bases – and don't care who makes the hardware.

All of this said, Nintendo does have a couple of things working to its advantage with the 3DS – beyond the curiosity and coolness factor of a glasses-free 3D device.

An early 2011 launch gives the company plenty of time to sell to the core audience and early adopters and still drop prices by the time the holidays roll around, to make it more appealing to the mainstream. Granted, that's not the most likely of moves, but if you don't see ongoing retail shortages and at least the perception of the 3DS being the must-have gaming device of the year, it's something that could be thrown into consideration.

Also, the timing of the launch lets Nintendo and third party partners put together a robust software lineup for the 2011 holiday season. Ultimately, Nintendo knows the fight the 3DS faces is the same one the DS faces: convincing customers to pay $30 or more for its titles, when they can get things like Angry Birds for a buck.

Gamasutra.

Would you pay $30 for RE:R when you can instead get Angry Birds for $1?

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

I needed a laugh. Seriously, I did. The thing is that, Nintendo has the games, and as long as they can continue their quality, they will always be dominate. That how I feel.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I'd rather play Resident Evil to be honest. What the hell is Angry Birds (that's pretty much what everyone will ask). Most people who own both IPad and 3DS will probably just buy them both. I honestly see no reason to own an IPad. When it starts supporting Flash and Flash browser games and movies, let me know.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

ltimately, Nintendo knows the fight the 3DS faces is the same one the DS faces: convincing customers to pay $30 or more for its titles, when they can get things like Angry Birds for a buck.

loco145

...Really?

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
Lol, what a joke. I too, laughed.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
I needed a laugh. Seriously, I did. Fuhgeddabouditt
Laugh all you want, but it will surpass the DS numbers.. Now will it be a better gaming experience? heck no. To answer tc's question I'd prefer to buy RE.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"]I needed a laugh. Seriously, I did. lbjkurono23
Laugh all you want, but it will surpass the DS numbers.. Now will it be a better gaming experience? heck no.

Will, is unfair to count all iOS devices vs the DS alone.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lbjkurono23
[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"][QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"]I needed a laugh. Seriously, I did. loco145
Laugh all you want, but it will surpass the DS numbers.. Now will it be a better gaming experience? heck no.

You can add the 3ds if you want.( when it launches of course :P )
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
And why are we comparing the sales of a media player to a gaming device? :?
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"][QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="lbjkurono23"] Laugh all you want, but it will surpass the DS numbers.. Now will it be a better gaming experience? heck no.

The fact remains that they are using multiple iOS devices, which skews the results. Also, I seriously doubt that the iphone can give a quality game experience compared to the DS or PSP. Next we are gonna hear Android is gonna be the best gaming system........
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
And why are we comparing the sales of a media player to a gaming device? :?SoraX64
So Apple can look better by comparison.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lbjkurono23
And why are we comparing the sales of a media player to a gaming device? :?SoraX64
Because it was declared a gaming system by Steve Jobs :lol:
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"]I needed a laugh. Seriously, I did. lbjkurono23
Laugh all you want, but it will surpass the DS numbers.. Now will it be a better gaming experience? heck no. To answer tc's question I'd prefer to buy RE.

Apple can sale 3 trillion, it wouldnt matter to me nor should it to many. It has a bigger target so yeah, the chance of it selling more than just a gaming handheld are high but with that, I dont care. It will sell not because it can play games but because its a phone first with all the crazy apps and has the Apple name .As long as Nintendo can release their games, continue what they always have been doing, well then i'll be ok.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
This. People are becoming delusional by comparing a device that isn't meant to play games only with a device that is meant for play games.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lbjkurono23
[QUOTE="lettuceman44"][QUOTE="lbjkurono23"][QUOTE="loco145"] Will, is unfair to count all iOS devices vs the DS alone.

The fact remains that they are using multiple iOS devices, which skews the results. Also, I seriously doubt that the iphone can give a quality game experience compared to the DS or PSP. Next we are gonna hear Android is gonna be the best gaming system........

I suggest you read my post again :roll:
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

How many people buy a Iphone for purely the games? Sure there are a few people, but people buy it because for one, its a phone, and another thing it can help them navigate themselves around a city because they get lost, and three, the "games" are good for passing time. But for an actual Gaming experience, it is all about the DS.

**Edit** Also Im not saying that the Iphone doesnt give a gaming experience, it surely does, but most people honest prefer to have their games, with usually more than 10 hours of gameplay, on a gaming device (that only does games, which usually keeps the price low)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#17 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Maybe Nintendo is going to be in trouble in the future because they released a console which has last gen graphics, not many great games, and a TON of shovelware......
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
There is no way to measure how many iOS devices are being used for "I buyz 1 dolla gamez" Gamers, so any numbers they throw at us are going to be scrutinized at best. I'm sure if Nintendo wanted too they could make some cool $1 games, hell they should get there developers to start making some quick flash games you could play on the internet for free and give them away for free with the purchase of other games. The real question should be: Why is anyone even paying $1.00 for Angry Birds, when I can play it on my PC or ANY device that can use flash "lol aplle" for free?
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Because this is system wars nothing we do here applies to logic.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lbjkurono23
[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"][QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"]I needed a laugh. Seriously, I did. Fuhgeddabouditt

Apple can sale 3 trillion, it wouldnt matter to me nor should it to many. It has a bigger target so yeah, the chance of it selling more than just a gaming handheld are high but with that, I dont care. It will sell not because it can play games but because its a phone first with all the crazy apps and has the Apple name .As long as Nintendo can release their games, continue what they always have been doing, well then i'll be ok.

Again I wasn't talking about the quality of games... that's a given. 45 million ipod touch devices have been sold up to date.. not that it matters
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lbjkurono23
Maybe Nintendo is going to be in trouble in the future because they released a console which has last gen graphics, not many great games, and a TON of shovelware......hillelslovak
I doubt Nintendo is going to be in trouble..
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts

I don't want "Angry Birds" for any price. I do want ME: Mercenaries, however.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

[QUOTE="hillelslovak"]Maybe Nintendo is going to be in trouble in the future because they released a console which has last gen graphics, not many great games, and a TON of shovelware......lbjkurono23
I doubt Nintendo is going to be in trouble..

If Nintendo is in trouble... then that only means one thing, the World gaming Industry is failing.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#24 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

I think the measure of success for 3DS will it's sales relative to DS and GBA lifetime sales. If it sells the same then nothing changed.

The real question here is can Apple get people to buy $30-40 games for their products, and will they ever be able to produce a device that can play 3D(not stereo) games for more than an hour without the battery dying?

Sherjas24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sherjas24
Member since 2007 • 665 Posts

I use my iPhone 4 as a handheld but I must admit Nintendo makes better handheld games.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I think the answer is very clear

Pokemon B/W just set the record for fastest to 3 000 000 in Japan.

I just don't see Apple getting the killer app that could even be whispered in the same sentence as

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

Regardless of the audience Nintendo plans to chase, Apple has a chance to gain a lot of ground.

Yes, the DS is the default handheld system of this generation – with 132 million in people's hands. But it had a three-year head start on Apple's devices – and Apple is closing fast, with 100 million iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads sold since 2007. Plus, Apple only recently realized the gaming potential of its devices and begun marketing campaigns around that.

loco145

there you basically answered you own question.

Apple sold around 100 milion phones, and the only recently began marketing it as an handheld system.

My first question would be, how is this a threat to nintendo? Was the Gameboy advance threaten when nokia started selling more?

"but nokia wasn't a gaming device!"

and so wasn't the iphone, ipod touch and iPad either, they sold around 90 milion copies as phones, and then started marketing it as a gaming device.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

You see why Nintendo will never have a problem with this, consumers will buy the cheap apps store games in addition to the 3DS games

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Maybe Nintendo is going to be in trouble in the future because they released a console which has last gen graphics, not many great games, and a TON of shovelware......hillelslovak

And they're 75 million strong with sales of the Wii and 132 million strong with the DS, so I think Nintendo will disagree with you.

And you're opinion of great games =/= fact. Finally, the PS2 had a ton of shovelware too, maybe even more. So what's your point?

On topic:

Nintendo should keep an eye on Apple, but Apple does not know their head from their ass when it comes to marketing a gaming device. Apple should be more concerned with competing against BlackBerry than Nintendo.

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#30 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

Your comparing a cheap fun quirky game designed for a media player to a full blown game created by capcom designed for the a pure gaming platform. A dollar for anrgy birds, sure thats a great deal...$30 for Resident Evil 3DS, an even better deal. Why? because resident evil is going to be a better game. Its like choosing Super Mario Bros 3 over Uncharted 2, just because Super Mario Bros 3 is cheaper. Super mario bros 3 is a greatgame , but is it comparable to Uncharted 2?? NOPE!

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I lol'd. Real gaming on 3DS.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#32 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Street Fighter 4 for iPod vs Street Fighter 4 for 3DS.

3DS looks far more appealing.

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

apple is teh sux and paying for flash games is a epic fail

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

Epic poll is Epic :P

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#35 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

LegatoSkyheart

Good example, also..

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

Haha I shall avoid Apple like the plague, I would much rather buy a Wii than ANY Apple product (And I really dislike the Wii!!!) So yes I would rather buy RE than angry birds.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Never mind the arguments regarding buttons or whether or not people bought an iPod/iPhone solely for games. That's not important. As long as people own the device, they're part of the install base regardless of their reason for getting it.

The most important problem with the iPhone at the moment is that it lacks an audience willing to pay premium prices for games. 3DS games will likely cost in the realm of $40, like PSP games. This high price point and retail exposure gives developers the confidence to create games on a large budget, resulting in games like Metal Gear Solid 3DS, Resident Evil 3DS, or as we've seen on the PSP games like The 3rd Birthday.

iPhone consumers are not willing to spend more than $10 for a game. Apple takes 30% of the profits. So if you're developing a big-budget game for an iPhone, you're only going to earn $7 from each copy of that game you sell if you launch it for $10. And in order to stay competitive with all the cheap games coming out, you're going to have to drop that price quickly.

The 3DS and the PSP are especially important for the Japanese market. Japanese developers are steadily moving away from home consoles in general, prioritizing handheld development. A lot of these devs would struggle to make a profit on an iPhone -- never mind that smartphone adoption rates are still quite low there anyhow.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#38 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

bowser3

Good example, also..

*Resident Evil 4 Iphone*

*Resident Evil Mercenaries*

Yeah and here's some screens for Street Fighter

Avatar image for GreenFalcon5267
GreenFalcon5267

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GreenFalcon5267
Member since 2005 • 584 Posts

JAAAA JAJAJA JAJA JI JI. Dat made my day

In any case Sony would be da one to worry not Nintendo. And yeah I would pay 30 bucks for a title insted of 1 buck for some dumb game I never hear of.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts
This is the most off-topic post I've ever seen on Gamespot. Nintendo may have released a console with graphics only slightly exceeding those of last gen, but it has tons of great games, and is obviously not in trouble since they have about 50% of the console market... also if you think there' a ton of shovelware you don't know the definition of shovelware. Shovelware doesn't even damage a system, last gen the PS2 had easily the most shovelware but it was the best system.
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

JAAAA JAJAJA JAJA JI JI. Dat made my day

In any case Sony would be da one to worry not Nintendo. And yeah I would pay 30 bucks for a title insted of 1 buck for some dumb game I never hear of.

GreenFalcon5267
I bought Angry BIrds on my iPhone... I played it for about 15 minutes like 5 times in a week... then never again, I moved onto some other cheap game to amuse me. The only true solid gaming experience I've seen on the iPhone is Ragdoll Blaster 2, neat game I'd like to see a PC version of.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#42 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Angry Birds is terribly repetitive and its core puzzle design barely changes throughout the entirety of its game - introducing barely any twists to the concept compared to the likes of some XBL and PC casual/arcade/indie games... well besides the golden egg levels. RE:R on the iPhone at a cheaper price is another question though...
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

lol Iphone is not a gaming device in my eyes, and won't be until it can get some real games, instead of some lousy ports and flash games.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts
There goes the reputation of Gamasutra because of this editorial.