EDGE Magazine: Microsoft has the edge

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-power-of-the-crowd-how-critical-and-consumer-feedback-made-xbox-one-a-contender-again/

"Here, right now, Microsoft has an edge. The £80 price disparity between the two consoles will be a decision maker for many, but for others, Microsoft’s exclusives are more convincing than anything Sony has shown on PS4 to date. Killzone is no Halo; DriveClub, now delayed, never looked like measuring up to Forza; and Dead Rising 3 now looks like a smarter bet for open-world mayhem than Second Son.

Even a second-tier title like Ryse makes a stronger case for its host hardware’s graphical capabilities, at least, than anything set for PS4’s launch day"

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

Isn't this old?

Edit: Never mind, it was posted today.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

@35cent said:

Isn't this old?

Full, final article just went live on their site I think. Before it was just some choice quotes.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

ummmm....i thought M$ fans didn't care about exclusives? remember? multiplats is where it's at?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50496 Posts

Seems short sighted, but no biggie. Opinions vary

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Garbage article.

Infamous >>>>>>> Dead Rising

How the hell will they say Killzone is no Halo but then proceed to compare Forza to DriveClub like Driveclub is Sony's major racing title? Did they suddenly forget Gran Turismo which sells even better than Halo? £80 is definitely a big deal to most people. No one is going to spend an extra £80 to buy a weaker console no matter how you look at it, and the preorder numbers in UK already reflect this. Sony is way ahead of MS in UK and EU preorders.

Also if this gen is any indication (PS3 still receiving AAAs while 360 is dead) Sony will destroy MS in exclusive games so the whole better exclusives at launch argument is moot.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

A console without exclusives will fail. M$ goes after the bro crowd while Sony focuses on pumping out unique exclusives for the PS brand.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

meh Microsoft should have made the kinect optional and lowered the price since first announcing the xbox one

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

For me, yeah, Xbox One does have a slight edge over PS4. But that's because of the launch exclusives available day one, and the launch titles announced into Q1 2014.

I see myself getting both PS4 and XB1 over the gen, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get my first one until Christmas 2014 and by then the tables could have turned.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

A more expensive console with less power and fewer announced titles has the edge.. Riiiiiiiiiight.

How much did MS pay for this article?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 I_can_haz

@Shewgenja said:

A more expensive console with less power and fewer announced titles has the edge.. Riiiiiiiiiight.

How much did MS pay for this article?

Indeed. Thread title should say "Microsoft has EDGE in their pockets".

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts
@waltefmoney said:

@35cent said:

Isn't this old?

Full, final article just went live on their site I think. Before it was just some choice quotes.

You're right, most of the article wasn't there before.

On topic: I agree with the article. I think the Xbox One definitely has the edge over the PS4 in terms of games so far.

Whiteknight19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Whiteknight19
Member since 2003 • 1303 Posts

I think the person that wrote the artical is a xbone fanboy hmm ps4 might have alot of indies But them including the games gives ps4 a distinct advantage and to say ryse has better graphics then anythink ps4 has I believe killzone has the advantage in graphics

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

Cows now hate edge. And lol at cows talking about their indies lol get some games olease

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

The article is riddled with holes. DR3, Infamous comparison was comical, the way the bigged up Ryse and ignored Killzone's graphics is obvious bait. That paragraph is written for clicks alone.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

lol Edge magazine.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

Garbage article.

Infamous >>>>>>> Dead Rising

How the hell will they say Killzone is no Halo but then proceed to compare Forza to DriveClub like Driveclub is Sony's major racing title? Did they suddenly forget Gran Turismo which sells even better than Halo? £80 is definitely a big deal to most people. No one is going to spend an extra £80 to buy a weaker console no matter how you look at it, and the preorder numbers in UK already reflect this. Sony is way ahead of MS in UK and EU preorders.

Also if this gen is any indication (PS3 still receiving AAAs while 360 is dead) Sony will destroy MS in exclusive games so the whole better exclusives at launch argument is moot.

£80 is not a major investment considering this generation was nearly ten years long. Id rather spend extra money and get an xbox.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

Never expected known Sony Fanboy Magazine Edge to admit the XB1 has a much better launch than the PS4. Guess its too obvious to anyone with a brain.

I remember that Edge cover that went something like this: your next console.... the PS4.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 I_can_haz

@always_explicit: It's a major investment when you consider its context. Spending extra £80 for weaker hardware is a solid investment, and if you're going for the long run Sony has already proven they can deliver AAA far more consistently and longer than MS can (see PS3 and 360 current situation).

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

So, it's basically an "exclusives are what matter" argument?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Did Edge went full-on bipolar? A couple of months ago they were boasting about how MICROSOFT AND XBOX ONE IS DOOMED AND SONY IS FULL OF WIN!!!

Seriously, what happened?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By I_can_haz

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Did Edge went full-on bipolar? A couple of months ago they were boasting about how MICROSOFT AND XBOX ONE IS DOOMED AND SONY IS FULL OF WIN!!!

Seriously, what happened?

There is your answer.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

@always_explicit: It's a major investment when you consider its context. Spending extra £80 for weaker hardware is a solid investment, and if you're going for the long run Sony has already proven they can deliver AAA far more consistently and longer than MS can (see PS3 and 360 current situation).

It is an extra $100 but the XB1 does come with the Kinect 2.0 which actually adds value for many people. The Kinect 2.0 may not have ANY value to you but there are many people looking forward to the UI, Snap features, NFL deal and voice control of other video equipment. So it not an apples to apples comparison because there are a quite a few unique features to the XB1. Not saying the XB1 is better than the PS4 just stating that there are people who would prefer to have what the XB1 is offering.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I will accept all this BS except for one thing .... DR > Second Son !!!

Seriously !!!!

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

Edge is a joke, click bait in magazine form.

Also @I_can_haz

@I_can_haz said:

...proceed to compare Forza to DriveClub like Driveclub is Sony's major racing title? Did they suddenly forget Gran Turismo...

Can you blame anyone for forgetting about GT? A next gen Gt will be out in "year or two" right? Not having a first party high profile racing game to launch the console is a mistake.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@35cent said:

Isn't this old?

Edit: Never mind, it was posted today.

Yep i think they remade it,like DF did with the xbox one architect interview...

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By I_can_haz

@EG101: Obviously there will always be people that see the value in paying $100 extra for Kinect even if the rest of the hardware has to be downgraded. Unfortunately for MS not many of those people exist hence MS trying to tell people that they Kinect can be disconnected and won't be required to play games.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#29 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Heil68 said:

There really is not anything to say. This issue speaks for itself.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2135 Posts

@HadOne2Many said:

Also @I_can_haz

@I_can_haz said:

...proceed to compare Forza to DriveClub like Driveclub is Sony's major racing title? Did they suddenly forget Gran Turismo...

Can you blame anyone for forgetting about GT? A next gen Gt will be out in "year or two" right? Not having a first party high profile racing game to launch the console is a mistake.

Actually not having a exclusive shooter is a bigger mistake

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

An edge =/= the edge

I agree with the article regarding the launch lineup. I am not buying a PS4 for the launch lineup neither.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 I_can_haz
@HadOne2Many said:

Also @I_can_haz

@I_can_haz said:

Yea it's a mistake but no bigger than MS not launching with a high profile FPS at launch. You don't release your biggest guns at launch unless you're Nintendo. The reduced userbase practically guarantees they will not sell as well as they should.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Why oh why does Edge publish controversial articles?

It's all about viewers and ad money. Doesn't help the credebility of Edge though.

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

even the well known ps3 supporter edge magazine is posting this now. it's really not looking good for sony. :(

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

Focusing that much on the launchlineup is dumb for obvious reasons. Besides how did Dead Rising suddenly transform from garbage franchise into something people hype? Gameplay I have seen looked tedious as hell.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Well, what does Sony expect?

They don't focus on providing value with their console. No good games, no cool features, no next-gen control method.

Just Killzone.......and Knack.

Sony is trying to sell a $400 paper weight in an age when everyone is going paperless.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By I_can_haz

@treedoor: You make it sound like the Xbone is full of quality exclusives. Other than Forza 5 the XB1 launch lineup is terrible to say the least. Both Ryse and DR3 look mediocre. It can be argued that the XB1 is just as much of a paper weight as the PS4 is albeit a $500 one.

sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

Damn, its been a good week for the bone.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17401 Posts

LOL, cows will hate them now.............even though they loved them when they had PS4 on the cover :P

We should all remember not to trust anything they say now, they will say (or review) anything to get hits just about.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@waltefmoney said:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-power-of-the-crowd-how-critical-and-consumer-feedback-made-xbox-one-a-contender-again/

" Dead Rising 3 now looks like a smarter bet for open-world mayhem than Second Son."

LOL

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 I_can_haz

@Bigboi500 said:

@waltefmoney said:

" Dead Rising 3 now looks like a smarter bet for open-world mayhem than Second Son."

LOL

I lol'd too when I saw that.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

I have to admit, I do like the X1 launch line up better. That being said, I have less interest in the console overall so the PS4 will still be my first purchase.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

People fail to realize that the actual launch of the console isn't always that important. What's important is the launch window. I don't give a **** what your going to be playing on Day One. I care about what your going to be playing 6 months from launch. You spent $400/$500 on a new console; you don't want to be playing the same games. The Xbox One does have a better launch line up but guess what, the PS4 has more launch window games and Infamous Second Son is coming out in February with DriveClub probably following up shortly after that. The next big post-launch Xbox One game is Titanfall yet the game doesn't even have a release date. People look at exclusives like their the only games at launch but I guarantee you most people will be playing multiplats like COD, BF, FIFA, Madden etc. People buy a console at launch for many different reasons. Exclusives are just one part of that equation.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

MS getting all the praise and Sony getting bashed on all fronts. Role reversal at its finest.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

People spent so much time hating it, they're finally starting to see those exclusives and some promise in it... Gonna make this gen a mono E mono battle all gen long... That is soooo good for gamers.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

Basing a consoles success or failure on launch titles is just moronic. If this was the case, the PS3 would have been DOA and it wound up being a very good system. I have been a XBOX and XBOX 360 fan for years, but I have made the switch to the PS4 simply because I am tired of Halo, Gears of War and Fable. I want to play Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886, Deep Down, Killzone Shadow Fall, Drive Club and of course what ever Naughty Dog comes out with. The PS4 is technologically superior to the XBOX ONE, the DS4 has bested the X1's controller and in all likelihood, multiplats will be superior on the PS4. Being $100 less than the XBOX ONE doesn't hurt either.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Well there goes Edge lol.

DR3 compared to ISS... really... REALLY? DR3 could be comfortably done on 360. Ryse, while good looking isn't doing 1/10th of the graphical marvels KZ:SF is. On top of that its 900P/30FPS and 3ft by 3ft combat space

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@treedoor said:

Well, what does Sony expect?

They don't focus on providing value with their console. No good games, no cool features, no next-gen control method.

Just Killzone.......and Knack.

Sony is trying to sell a $400 paper weight in an age when everyone is going paperless.

All in all you forgot to mention PS4 has more cool gaming features, motion control, and KZ is a much more robust launch title than anything X1 offers, is cheaper, runs quieter, is more powerful, has a better controller etc

Hey don't believe it? Check Amazon. Facts >> Money hats

KellyKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49 KellyKelly
Member since 2013 • 386 Posts

All X1 games are bound to flop lol

Avatar image for deactivated-63e66f5999640
deactivated-63e66f5999640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-63e66f5999640
Member since 2005 • 495 Posts

@kellykelly said:

All X1 games are bound to flop lol

Great speculation, you should apply for a journalism position!