EA Study Shows Gamers Want More Inclusivity in Games

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Journey_951 (46 posts) -

Source: https://www.vgr.com/majority-gamers-support-inclusivivity-in-games/

Here’s a topic I know that a lot of you have strong feelings about. Should games be more inclusive? According to a survey conducted by EA’s Global Consumer Insights team, the answer from the majority of gamers is “yes.”

The head researcher, Jenny Shi, used this definition of inclusivity when conducting the research:

“Being able to customise your character to have a wide range of skin colours and body sizes; Stories or plots with culturally diverse characters; Healthy and friendly in-game chat experiences; Offering features that allow those with special needs to play.”

Here were some key results: 56% of gamers said inclusivity mattered, 45% said they would be more likely to play a game if it were more inclusive, and only 7% said they would be less likely to do so.

You can see some of her conclusions and takeaways at the source link.

Do you like Shi’s definition of inclusivity? Where do you weigh in on the topic of inclusivity in games?

#2 Posted by Fedor (5277 posts) -

Only 2200 people surveyed with several test variables left unmentioned. Largely flawed study with little value. Could have just as easily had a poll on twitter that would have been more valid.

#3 Edited by KungfuKitten (26749 posts) -

OK. I would have considered games in general to be 'inclusive' for a long time already. But I guess by her definition it wasn't, and I don't think it's a bad idea to include those examples into the meaning of inclusivity in games. By that definition I don't think it's weird to see many gamers vote for more inclusivity. Who doesn't like character customization options? I'm not against character customization in most games. Of course in multiplayer games there can be thinks you have to take into consideration for practical reasons (size, visibility), or even thematic reasons depending on the game.

I do think stories or plots with culturally diverse characters is not a rule you can apply to all games. Some stories may take place in a certain time and place, where certain cultures or types of characters would feel out of place. I'd rather leave that up to the designers. But I'm not against seeing culturally diverse characters in a game if it suits it. I don't know online games that offer healthy and friendly in-game chat experiences. (I would love that, but I also think it would involve heavy moderation and we've seen how that goes.) I'm all for games offering features that allow those with special needs to play. ( One of the reasons Anthem doesn't have chat is because they'd have to adhere to the new EU accessibility regulations. XD )

So I guess I would have voted that way, too.

Her conclusion seems to be completely out of touch with reality and the results, as expected. "The biggest finding from the study appears to dispel the myth that the backlash seen against inclusivity in games represents the majority view." It assumes the backlash is about being against inclusivity as she defines it, while I'm pretty sure the backlash she is talking about has been a little more nuanced than that. She defines inclusivity in a way that it encompasses a lot of aspects that I don't think people backlashed against. I don't recall there being an outcry against character customization in general or against healthy and friendly in-game chat or against accessibility for gamers with special needs. Or even against specific cultures appearing in games? So in that sense her study seems a little insincere.

If the question asked would be: "Would you want to see at least one Chinese person be worked into every game to make Chinese people feel like they are appreciated?" It would be more indicative of the backlash against one aspect of 'inclusivity'.

Or did they truly think that gamers would be against all those things? Can't imagine that. But the results of the study sound positive if separated from the... peculiar conclusion. It is interesting that a higher percentage thinks it's important to have her definition of inclusivity affect games than the percentage that expect their decision to play a game will be influenced by it. Which I suppose shows that people care to some degree for what other gamers may like. Well I hope they learned the world is not as ****ed as they apparently assumed it was.

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (34431 posts) -

I really detest when gaming critics try to push their progressive values on games to point its less about the game and more about activism.

Case in point -

It's funny how they trying to chastise Steam for review bombing when they are basically saying "adhere to our values or we will review bomb you".

Stuff like this is the absolute top plebbery, and one of the reasons a lot of people don't trust, nor like them. Then they'll scream you're balled headed 4chan Neonazi woman harassing toxic masculinity for not accepting their unwanted member up your rear end.

I think if this question was posted on something like reddit, 4chan or this (lively) forum, the results would be clear, and it wouldn't be about hating the idea itself, but a response to the style of pushing it. These types of turd-goblins give "progressive" a negative connotation, actually pushing people further away from it, and then we end up woith tribes battling it out, sucking all the fun out of gaming. Seeing who can become King Nothing.

Good gollys.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#5 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12907 posts) -
@KungfuKitten said:

So... 45% said they'd be more likely to play a game if it were more 'inclusive', 7% said they would be less likely to do so... and 48% said what?

I'm guessing they don't care who they play as as long as the game is good.

That doesn't fit their narrative so they won't mention it.

#6 Edited by Jackamomo (2156 posts) -

When you can't make a black person in The Sims without a mod patch I think there needs to be moves made yeah.

@uninspiredcup Bayonetta is gross in it's depiction of a bondage mistress. Probably the most sexist game ever made.

Maybe a 'review bomb' is actually lots of people wanting to be heard.

#7 Edited by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

I don't mind diversity at all, as long as it doesn't feel forced. Think games benefits from variety and I can understand how it's nice for people to be able to identify more easily with the characters.

I do think this study seems rather stupid in one way though. The way "inclusivity" is defined, by combining four pretty different things, is not that great. I don't think anyone in the universe is against a "Healthy and friendly in-game chat experiences", nor "Offering features that allow those with special needs to play”. I also think extremely few has anything against customization. So by having a few points that no one is against the results of the survey becomes a bit muddled. I don't think her definition of the term in any way captures what some people have against it.

In short she defines "inclusivity" to be something almost everyone is for and then ... suprise...suprise it turns out most people are for it.

Edit: Basically what KungfuKitten had already said, which I missed lol.

#8 Posted by Fedor (5277 posts) -

@jackamomo: Agree, that woman who created Bayonetta is truly a vile misogynist.

#9 Edited by uninspiredcup (34431 posts) -

@uninspiredcup

Great. Just maybe, don't try influence my hobby under the guise of an objective review when it's clearly a running activist narrative? That's, sort of why people think he's a piece of shit in the first place, and move further towards the opposite end of the spectrum, specially because he's a pleb.

More a general point. At any point, in trailers, videos, screenshots, the box, did this game pretend to be anything other than advertised? When people are buying this, is "this game sexy oh golly", at the absolute forefront of their minds as something that needs informed? Or do you think, maybe, they'd give more of a shit about the mechanics? As they probably, thanks to having a brain, could see that it's probably going to have something like that.

When you're already walking in the door with a mindset, with a specific intent, something something bla bla bla bla etc...

#10 Posted by VagrantSnow (365 posts) -

Were people banned from playing videogames before or something?

#11 Posted by General_Solo76 (544 posts) -

That study probably never took place, or was rigged from the get go.

#12 Posted by X_Karen_x (501 posts) -

Exclusive it what make a console and not to game, or so a saying go.

#13 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79363 posts) -
@jackamomo said:

When you can't make a black person in The Sims without a mod patch I think there needs to be moves made yeah.

@uninspiredcup Bayonetta is gross in it's depiction of a bondage mistress. Probably the most sexist game ever made.

There's a difference between sexist and sexy. Let's just start out with the fact Bayonetta was designed by a woman, and that Bayonetta employs sexual empowerment.

#14 Edited by Jackamomo (2156 posts) -

@fedor: a dude created Bayonetta. Women can make crass depictions of sexuality too anyway. As men can of other men.

@uninspiredcup my hobby

it's not your personal hobby. If I want to have a hobby, I want it to reflect and not repulse me.

You can keep your sex flash games now they're off the Steam home page. But I don't want to be grossed out by some butt cheeks flapping around in my face if I'm just trying to play a hack'n'slash.

Stupid sexy Flanders.

JustPlainLucasThere's a difference between sexist and sexy. Let's just start out with the fact Bayonetta was designed by a woman, and that Bayonetta employs sexual empowerment.

Bayonetta is as sexually empowered as a Spice Girl. That is. Not really. Just showing your body parts but being simultaneously sassy is not the same as being empowered. It's still just exploitation.

Loading Video...

#15 Posted by Jackamomo (2156 posts) -

@x_karen_x: I'm not being rude but I genuinely don't understand your sentences any more.

#16 Posted by mumunaro (158 posts) -

A lot of old games allow me to play as and feature races that dont even exist so wtf is this study all about?

Oh let me guess. By inclusivity they mean who has what genitals and to which genitals that genitals go to.

Funny thing is about inclusivity and diversity, people became more obsessed and fixated with superficial stuffs like appearance and skin colour.

#17 Posted by lundy86_4 (53654 posts) -

I really don't care that much. If it's there, then it's there... Sometimes I find having to actually create a character quite a chore. Plus, this could just be EA trying to earn brownie points.

#18 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44179 posts) -

EA doing some PR and damage control, trying to look like they're the good guys.

What do they expect us to say? "Oh gee golly, look at EA, doing these good-natured studies out of the goodness of their hearts. I sure think fondly of them now."

Fat chance. EA is built upon a foundation of shuttered studios and stagnant IP's, and a majority of their games of late have been bland at best.

#19 Edited by madrocketeer (6637 posts) -

Big companies like EA have well-oiled market research divisions, so I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand. That said, real science is built on peer review, so until someone reviews, replicates and publishes, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt.

I'm more concerned about what they intend to do with the result of this survey. Using survey data to influence game design is, in my opinion, a form of restriction on creative freedom. Creators should be able to express their ideas in their original intentions, and let them be judged solely on that, instead of being misinterpreted and hounded by the hordes of internet obsessives, or strong-armed by their corporate overlords in the name of "data."

#20 Edited by foxhound_fox (98016 posts) -

I want good, likeable characters. I couldn't give a flying fucking shit who or what they are.

#21 Posted by Fedor (5277 posts) -

@jackamomo: Naw, a woman created her. Sorry to burst your bubble.

#22 Posted by Pedro (35493 posts) -

"I don't mind diversity at all as long as it fit within an unspecified criteria which I only apply to games that include diversity. Its just that when you include people that I don't think are "real" people it needs to have a reason for including them otherwise it just feels like someone is forcing me to see people that doesn't look like me or relate to me. After all developers should not be pandering to every group that cries for inclusion and only cater to people like myself. If they try to include others I will blame SJW and call them out on their pandering. "

#23 Edited by Sancho_Panzer (835 posts) -

I don't mind either way, as long as it's what people actually want and not just some condescending jackass-trolling from companies (like EA, for example) trying to create a consumer backlash for their own benefit.

#24 Edited by True_Link (243 posts) -

That should be obvious to anyone with a little brain. Gamers are people from all over the world, from all colors, genders, age and sexual orientation. Only the select few snowflakes believe that's not the case and believe gaming will remain white straight male. I'm really sorry to burst your bubble but the whole "get woke go broke" failed completely as showcased by a lot of more inclusive media, Captain Marvel's huge success being the latest one. It's time for the fragile snowflakes to realize they're not the center of the universe and that if they don't change, they'll get behind and forgotten.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#25 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12907 posts) -
@x_karen_x said:

Exclusive it what make a console and not to game, or so a saying go.

I'm impressed that there's a comma in this sentence.

#26 Posted by MirkoS77 (14382 posts) -

It really doesn't matter to me. I'm not entitled to be represented or included in anyone else's work and they can do what they want. As a consumer, my feeling of entitlement or discontentment in not being represented is spoken with the opening and closing of my wallet. The only thing that should matter in any creative endeavor is what the creator desires. People don't agree with that? Then don't buy it. But they have no right to whine or dictate what these people do.

#27 Edited by lundy86_4 (53654 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

It really doesn't matter to me. I'm not entitled to be represented or included in anyone else's work and they can do what they want. As a consumer, my feeling of entitlement or discontentment in not being represented is spoken with the opening and closing of my wallet. The only thing that should matter in any creative endeavor is what the creator desires. People don't agree with that? Then don't buy it. But they have no right to whine or dictate what these people do.

I think this is the most spot-on answer, yet we live in a world of entitlement. As long as a dev isn't releasing something so racially/sexually abhorrent... Why should we give a shit? If the game is titled Holocaust 2.0, maybe give it a miss?

Edit: I genuinely feel that I diluted your response in the most horrific way. My bad lol.

#28 Edited by uninspiredcup (34431 posts) -
@mumunaro said:

Funny thing is about inclusivity and diversity, people became more obsessed and fixated with superficial stuffs like appearance and skin colour.

Speaking of this, and slightly off topic, I like how in DOFP Peter Dinklage just happens to be a small person, and at no point does the movie feel forced to add a gaint red arrow pointing to this fact, and it's a movie specifically dealing with progressive issues. In fact, he's the bad guy trying to kill em' all with Nazi death robots.

If this was a video game they'd probably have to highlight he's small every 2 minutes. And then make you feel guilty about it.

#29 Posted by SaltSlasher (1245 posts) -

Coincidentally I played Sims 4 last night, and it let you pick everything. Like ask if my character can pee standing type stuff. I liked it, cause it allowed you to be as creative as possible.

Of course I played like 30 minutes and couldn't stand the control of this game.

#30 Posted by onesiphorus (2934 posts) -

I just wish that people stop acting that they are entitled and that gaming is a privilege, not a right. If you do not like what you see in a game, do not buy it, but never try to boycott the developer or publisher because you do not like its game. Vote with your pocket, not bring a company into bankruptcy or closure by boycotting it. The company has the right to exist whether you like it or not.

#31 Posted by XVision84 (16333 posts) -

I don't see anything wrong with making games more inclusive. Would be great if there was a more diverse cast of characters!

#32 Edited by PAL360 (29605 posts) -

So, people can't tell stories anymore...

#33 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19813 posts) -

EA's Survey's also said that no one was interested in Single Player games anymore......

#34 Posted by Pedro (35493 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Gamers voicing what they will like to see in games whining/entitlement?

When developers include diversity the same batch of gamers that complain about diversity being "forced" accuse the creators of the game for pandering and the "Creator desires" are no longer an argument on the table.

The reality of the matter is that games are made with gamers in mind. No game is released with the intention of success take this asinine route of "I don't want gamers feedback, I just want to express my gaming desires for I am the creator".

#35 Posted by k--m--k (2794 posts) -

I usually tend to avoid games with forced themes that serve no purpose to gameplay or story.

But again I only find about it while playing.

#36 Edited by madrocketeer (6637 posts) -
@FireEmblem_Man said:

EA's Survey's also said that no one was interested in Single Player games anymore......

50 million Apex Legends players and 10 million Battlefront II (the "pride and accomplishment" one) players says they have a point. They're still wrong, just not entirely wrong.

#37 Posted by Epak_ (10695 posts) -

@fedor said:

@jackamomo: Naw, a woman created her. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Bu bu bu bu bu, SWJs in denial.

#38 Edited by KungfuKitten (26749 posts) -

@jackamomo said:

In The Sims' case, yeah, absolutely. That would be cool. Aren't there black gamers who want to recreate their family in The Sims? I'm 100% for that.

And review bombs are people wanting to be heard. Yes they're trying to make a point. Not much point to that if nobody notices. And critics do it, too.

Bayonetta is awesome... I don't understand your thinking there. She does treat men poorly, but I think you meant sexiest.

#40 Posted by jdc6305 (5055 posts) -

Screw EA as if anyone should listen to them. Big talking heads in the industry telling us what we want in our games. Wheres our pride and accomplishment in Battlefront?

#41 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

Only basement dwelling incels want gaming to represent their unreconstructed medieval fantasy novel clown world and nothing else ever.

#42 Posted by AJStyles (1032 posts) -

The Division 2 Beta was quite upsetting. It had forced diversity. You could only create “random” characters.

All I wanted was a bald white guy. I clicked the random button 100 times and it was every race besides white.

I gave up and settled on a short haired Italian/Muslim looking dude.

I know that’s just a Beta, and the full game should have more options, but that still gave me a bad vibe.

I noticed the default options in other games have less white options. Or they make the white characters less appealing.

#43 Edited by evilross (1987 posts) -

I’m really sick and tired of zombies always being portrayed as evil, mindless killers in gaming.

It’s a stereotype that perpetuated by straight white men in order to keep zombies from rising up the social ladder. How do you think young zombies feel when they turn on a game to play and find there race always on the receiving end of round after round of hot lead, or mindlessly killing every human in site?

This degrading depiction had to stop. I want to see more Living Challenged characters in heroic roles, and as the main character in games. Games where a persons living status is not challenged, or judged.

I want to raise a boycott of all products that depict Living Challenged characters in a negative way.

#44 Posted by Star67 (4451 posts) -

@fedor said:

Only 2200 people surveyed with several test variables left unmentioned. Largely flawed study with little value. Could have just as easily had a poll on twitter that would have been more valid.

As someone who has done professional surveys before, 2200 is more than enough. Once you go over 3000 people your returns on investment on the survey don't increase at all and data normally doesn't change drastically from 3000 to 5000.

You don't know what you're talking about

#45 Posted by Fedor (5277 posts) -

@Star67:

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
#46 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (4128 posts) -

I don't care what the protagonist, antagonist or supporting characters are just make a good game.

#47 Posted by GarGx1 (10929 posts) -

I don't want more inclusivity, I don't want less inclusivity. I actually don't give a shit about inclusivity in games because I don't give a shit if a protagonist looks anything like me or not.

What I definitely want less of in games is any kind of political agenda and virtue signalling being rammed down my throat but someone I've paid money to for a freaking game.

#48 Edited by Jackamomo (2156 posts) -

@fedor: Bayonetta is directed by Hideki Kamiya but the gender of who created it is irrelevant.

Also off topic as semi naked women are already very well represented in vidja games.

AJStylesAll I wanted was a bald white guy

Just walk into any pub with flag of St George hanging on the wall. You can't move for them.

Or watch a Die Hard film.

#49 Posted by Fedor (5277 posts) -

@jackamomo: You aren't getting it. The actual character, not the game, was designed by a woman. You're not making any sense at this point.

#50 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8660 posts) -

@fedor said:

That's a huge sample size. Nothing bad can be said about it.
In fact, it might be approaching too big depending on their sampling methods. A poll on twitter would be worse than any method btw.

I would look through to see their sampling method, but I'm not concerned with anything that I see enough to bother to do it.