SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44936 Posts

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/electronic-arts-ea-disney-apple-amazon-comcast-acquisition-merger/

Electronic Arts has reportedly spoken with a number of tech giants such as Disney and Apple about being acquired. EA is one of the biggest gaming publishers out there thanks to its iron grip on major sport IPs like Madden and UFC, but it also manages other huge AAA franchises like Battlefield, Need for Speed, and Mass Effect. Although gamers have a lot of mixed feelings on the company, there's no denying its presence in the gaming industry is utterly massive and makes it a lucrative business for just about everyone involved... which could result in the publisher getting acquired.

According to a report from Puck (via Kotaku), EA wants to sell the company to the likes of Apple, Amazon, Disney, or one of many other giant corporations. The company has already held talks with the aforementioned companies and no deal is actively in the works, but a deal with NBC Universal almost happened. The deal reportedly fell apart over pricing, but it shows that EA is ready to make the deal if the price is right. Although an EA spokesperson denied these claims to Kotaku, the report from Puck noted that EA is interested in some kind of merger and has been more enthusiastic about the idea since the news that Microsoft was acquiring Activision.

"Several sources familiar with these talks say EA has been persistent in pursuing a sale, and has only grown more emboldened in the wake of the Microsoft-Activision deal," said Puck's Dylan Beyers. "Others say that EA is primarily interested in a merger arrangement that would allow Wilson to remain as chief executive of the combined company."

As already noted, this comes off the heels of the news that Microsoft is purchasing Activision in the biggest deal in the history of the gaming industry. The nearly $70 billion deal is expected to close by next summer if everything goes according to plan. EA could be more interested in this deal as it abandoned its deal with FIFA and will lose the rights to be the exclusive publisher of Star Wars games in 2023. As of right now, only time will tell if EA finds an offer that it is happy with.

What do you make of this news, SW? Who should buy EA? EA has been meh for a while, hopefully new management would help.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2122 Posts

EA is trash and they know it themselves, otherwise the other companies would be offering to buy them, instead of EA begging others to make a deal, especially when the primary requirement is that their creepy CEO stays in place (why pay billions for a company which you won't even be able to control?).

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34467 Posts

I don't really care. Any form of chance to get EA somewhat better would be good. But it might just as well mean that they'll keep sucking the same amount of balls, just under the ownership of Disney.

I'd rather have the developers who made good games under EA to break free of EA, so they could continue making good games. EA is a cesspool of death and has been for years. It's not like I have hopes left for them.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3540 Posts

Only thing worth acquiring from them is Respawn.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7146 Posts

Apple would be a great fit. Go Apple!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45983 Posts

Wow Battlefield flopped that hard, did it?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7201 Posts

Is it a sign the AAA industry is in trouble when the biggest players all want to be bought?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

@judaspete: Shareholders want to get paid and, big tech and media companies need content to compete.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16515 Posts

Well activision cashed in for $70 billion, now they all want a piece. The problem is, with inflation being so high right now and interest rates going to go up, nobody but the biggest companies like Apple and MS could spit out that kind of cash on a dime. Heck, even Elon Musk couldn't buy out twitter for his agreed price of $44 billion or whatever and hes the richest man in the world. For MS, the deal with activision made sense for two reasons. First is for gamepass, which they have dreams of to make into the next netflix. Next is metaverse. But what exactly does EA have aside from battlefield, which is a flop? They have madden, fifa, nfs and uhhh starwars uhh...well thats about it. Funny how all the games they make aside from battle field are licensed properties owned by other companies. They're so fucking greedy, they couldn't bother to expand on their original property, instead being focused on milking mtx. Games like dead space, dragon age, mass effect have been dead for more than a decade. Only an idiot would buy EA or ubisoft for that matter.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38111 Posts

Lol they're so shit that if Disney buys em, nothing will change because they're already at the bottom.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12792 Posts

EA is trash

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nonstop-Madness

@blaznwiipspman1:

You're forgetting about other major IP that are active like The Sims, Apex Legends and Plants vs Zombies.

Whats funny is that Activision used to be a huge licensed content shop for decades. They really don't have much original IP.

Ex. Those "dead IPs" from EA are younger than every original IP from Activision besides maybe Overwatch which is from Blizzard.

EA has IP like Titanfall, Mirrors Edge, Burnout, Skate, SSX, Medal of Honor etc.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1453 Posts

EA recently announced to ditch their partnership with FIFA, and they are allegedly laying off a large number of customer service staff for FIFA games. Kotaku reports;

Electronic Arts is laying off a ton of customer service staff at its Austin office, according to internal emails viewed by Kotaku. One source familiar with the decision told Kotaku that as many as 100 employees could be affected, many of whom supported live operations on FIFA 22. Going forward, EA will instead seemingly outsource that work, a move that would come after the video game publisher recently announced it’s ditching the FIFA license and rebranding its popular soccer series EA Sports FC starting in 2023.

It doesn't look good, and they may need new management.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blaznwiipspman1

@st_monica: honestly, good for EA. The only thing worse than EA is trash like fifa that are even greedier bastards. I don't understand why developers just don't make these sports games with random computer generated players that have no real world likeness. That way they don't need to license shit or pay anyone else. And heck people will still buy the game regardless. Having that competition in the market will drive down licensing costs because fifa has to compete with the generic brand less game at rhe same time. Consumers don't give a shit either, if the brandless soccer game is selling for $30 new, and the quality is as good as the $70 fifa brand, which game do you think people will buy?

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@Nonstop-Madness: they have abandoned their best IP to focus on shit like apex, plants vs fucking Zombies, the Sims, fifa, madden, nfs, starwars, and can't forget battlefield. But they're probably considering dropping battlefield too after how badly the game flopped.

Again, nobody is interested in buying EA

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Wow, Apple or Disney? And to think I didn't think EA could get worse. So I guess it doesn't matter what happens to them, they're shit now, been shit since the early 2010s, and will continue to be shit going forward. Like EA, they've become all about a single free to play title. Remember when EA made good stuff? Like sports games that were actually fun? Like stuff like the SSX series, and the Bioware stuff? Lmfao, nope, it's all Apex Legends now, and that's all they're ever going to be.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@eoten: yep, I used to love SSX as a kid. That and dead space which was a fantastic series. I remember nfs games were also decent back then. Nowadays EA has sunk to trash levels, and it's not even surprising they want to get bought out. Good luck to them, and honestly if MS wanted to buy them out, I'd be angry if they spent anything over $5 billion for them. That's about how much they're worth in my eyes.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

If someone ever does buy them then I just hope that it is someone who will keep bringing their games out on consoles.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55896 Posts

Back in my days, I was in the EA fan club before EA destroyed games. But today, EA games are a hit or a miss and if anything, I would like to see EA lose the license to Star Wars would be a good start, and putting Respawn up for sale would be nice to see.

Whoever buys EA makes no differents to me.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@davillain said:

Back in my days, I was in the EA fan club before EA destroyed games. But today, EA games are a hit or a miss and if anything, I would like to see EA lose the license to Star Wars would be a good start, and putting Respawn up for sale would be nice to see.

Whoever buys EA makes no differents to me.

Respawn would be a perfect fit for Sony

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 847 Posts

Potentially Electronic Arts will wait for the Microsoft-Activision deal to close, then offer themselves to Microsoft. If that happens, then Sony will be up to their necks in hot water, competing against EA and Activision at the same time.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1453 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@st_monica: honestly, good for EA. The only thing worse than EA is trash like fifa that are even greedier bastards. I don't understand why developers just don't make these sports games with random computer generated players that have no real world likeness. That way they don't need to license shit or pay anyone else. And heck people will still buy the game regardless. Having that competition in the market will drive down licensing costs because fifa has to compete with the generic brand less game at rhe same time. Consumers don't give a shit either, if the brandless soccer game is selling for $30 new, and the quality is as good as the $70 fifa brand, which game do you think people will buy?

Well, I've heard about FIFA's greedy license deals. However, it's also true that EA has made significant profits in game sales and loot boxes under the FIFA brand name, which so far seemed like a win-win to them. I feel that this divorce signals that there is something wrong with EA's finances. It's because they not only ditched the license, but also laid off many employees. But yeah, we’ll see what happens.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3211 Posts

I don't care if Sony, Microsoft, and hell even Nintendo buys them out. Ether way EA is a bullshit company.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

All AAA publishers are trash.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

They lost fifa license so yea that's a big hit on there profits and battlefield is also tanking in short company will go downwards hard.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#27 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19373 Posts

That's just sad. EA begging to sell themselves to Apple or Disney, and they're just not showing much interest.

Looks like EA's stocks have fallen over the last year. Battlefield is getting battered by COD, and they failed to renew the FIFA license.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58631 Posts

Russia should buy it.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 7975 Posts

As long as new owners make new C&C rts

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#30 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6072 Posts

To be honest I think if Microsoft was to purchase EA and the deal went well with AB,it’ll not be good for Sony. All Microsoft needs to do afterwards is purchase Ubisoft.

Don’t think Sony would be in a good position.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

No big loss, let them sell.

I don't think I've purchased an EA game since BF1 or ME4. Years ago, to say the least.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts
@warmblur said:

Pretty much.

I know someone will buy EA in the end but part of me hopes they just implode and sell off their various IP's piecemeal. Feel bad for the individual developers but, then again, they chose to go with EA so not that bad.

Maybe let Obsidian buy out Bioware, or the Bioware franchises (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc) haha

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6845 Posts

Well it won't be Sony, MS or Nintendo.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Silentchief

@warmblur said:

No there not.

1.Sony

2. Nintendo

3. Capcom

4. Microsoft

5. Namco/Bandai

Their all good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@silentchief said:
@warmblur said:

No there not.

1.Sony

2. Nintendo

3. Capcom

4. Microsoft

5. Namco/Bandai

Their all good.

Sony started the $70 price hike for video games now they can eat shit. As for the rest of them they all have done shady shit and no they aren't all good most of them are greedy scumbags.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Silentchief

@warmblur said:
@silentchief said:
@warmblur said:

No there not.

1.Sony

2. Nintendo

3. Capcom

4. Microsoft

5. Namco/Bandai

Their all good.

Sony started the $70 price hike for video games now they can eat shit. As for the rest of them they all have done shady shit and no they aren't all good most of them are greedy scumbags.

Yea because games with $150 million budgets should be free .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@silentchief said:
@warmblur said:
@silentchief said:
@warmblur said:

No there not.

1.Sony

2. Nintendo

3. Capcom

4. Microsoft

5. Namco/Bandai

Their all good.

Who said anything about it being free?

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nonstop-Madness

@warmblur:

Sony wasn't the first or the second to announce $70 game. I'm not sure why people put the blame on them when 2K announced it in July 2020, followed by Activision in August 2020 and then Sony in September 2020.

Some regions are definitely getting shafted but, a $10 increase after 15 years isnt much. Heck, a $10 increase only covers like 75% of the amount of inflation we've experienced in the USA since the launch of the consoles. They'll be making less money per copy by the time this generation ends even with the price increase.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nonstop-Madness

@Gatygun: The Fifa license doesn't really mean much when they have licenses for practically every individual league. They still have the top leagues in the world and, UEFA. They just can't use the Fifa name or, Fifa tournaments like the World Cup.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nonstop-Madness

@blaznwiipspman1:

Nobody is interested? The report literally says folks like Disney, Apple etc. were / are interested.

You say those IPs are *** yet they make tons of money and are super successful.

Ex. Apex Legends makes like $600m a year. That's 10m units of $60 games every single year. Sure, Mass Effect could sell that much but it takes them like 4 years to make one.

Apex is EAs best original IP ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@warmblur:

Sony wasn't the first or the second to announce $70 game. I'm not sure why people put the blame on them when 2K announced it in July 2020, followed by Activision in August 2020 and then Sony in September 2020.

Some regions are definitely getting shafted but, a $10 increase after 15 years isnt much. Heck, a $10 increase only covers like 75% of the amount of inflation we've experienced in the USA since the launch of the consoles. They'll be making less money per copy by the time this generation ends even with the price increase.

Really doesn't matter they went along with it. I don't know why people defend these corporations so much they don't give a damn about you all they want is your money.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Nobody has enough resources to buy EA out or probably not for what they want to sell it for. At best, sell of studios and IPs and assets piece by piece. A merger with another company would be more likely but hard to imagine anyone who isn't going to see it as a huge liability. Their more successful licensed IPs require companies who wish to keep them going to invest in the licensing costs. It would be far cheaper to lobby/bid for licensing down the line when EA's licensing access is cut off.

There's very little for a company to gain here and a lot to lose. At least the Activision-Blizzard deal looked like there was something to salvage but not here.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1203 Posts

EA has a few IPs that I'd like to see get new entries. If this makes that more likely then potentially good news.

Don't want them going to MS though.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 998 Posts

Ahh EA back when they really were electronic arts. They do bring back nice memories.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@Nonstop-Madness: these are flash in the pan trendy games. One minute they're popular then people move on to next big thing. Plus they take a lot of work and hours. You still need a big IP. Activision has their COD. What does EA have?? Plants vs Zombies? They went for the easy money instead of trying to innovate and build on their big IP. They even screwed up bf2042 so bad. No wonder they're looking for a buyer. Again, nothing more than $5 billion for them. EA trashed most of their valuable IP and went for the easy money. That's ok for their shareholders, but for acquisition terms, it makes them much less valuable than a company like AB.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Silentchief

@warmblur said:
@silentchief said:
@warmblur said:
@silentchief said:
@warmblur said:

No there not.

1.Sony

2. Nintendo

3. Capcom

4. Microsoft

5. Namco/Bandai

Their all good.

Who said anything about it being free?

My point is they do more good then harm. They release quality titles that are usually worth the money.

I feel like they are a big step up from EA and Activision.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2919 Posts

EA can get acquired if they want to. I don't care much about them anymore. I miss old EA which churned out super hits such as EA Hockey, Desert Strike and Robocod. After that it was mostly about Fifa and Madden iterations year after year.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11002 Posts

I wish they'd let the NFL license go while they're at it. Making it exclusive to EA has done nothing for the brand

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SolidGame_basic

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I wish they'd let the NFL license go while they're at it. Making it exclusive to EA has done nothing for the brand

Yea back in my day we had NFL 2k

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

I remember for years watching as EA would buy out studios and shutter them soon after because they weren't making EA as much money as they wanted. I would love nothing more than to see EA crash and burn. They have been known as the cancer of gaming for years and now they are trying to sell.

Horrible company.