Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#51 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@TheEroica said:

I like the idea, hope it doesn't get botched in execition.

Oh and to the folks saying subscription models suck... Um it's 30 dollars a year. You do realize this correct?

Subscription models suck (at least they do for me) I like to keep my games so:

Paying more and getting to keep games > paying less and not getting to keep games

To add on to this. The company makes more money this way... after the console's life cycle all those "games" you got are gone and the company just ran away with the cash. Also, unless stated otherwise you gotta pay for XBL so it isn't just a 30 dollar service.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#52 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

@cainetao11 said:

Everyone saying $5 per month, but OP states or $30 a year. Thats $2.50 per month. I know I buy at least one EA published game a year and this would be half the price. I am by no means sold on the idea yet, but I try to remain open minded to things.

EA's servers are notoriously shitty.

I have no interest in paying $5 a month for a service that is going to routinely kick me off line whenever I'm in the middle of playing a game.

Fair enough. I am undecided until I see the service up and running for a while.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22665 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I get the fuss over subscriptions but we're talking about 30 dollars over a 365 day period... for 8 cents a day I can play the entire library of EA games when this program is up and running? Sounds good to me.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

@cainetao11 said:

Everyone saying $5 per month, but OP states or $30 a year. Thats $2.50 per month. I know I buy at least one EA published game a year and this would be half the price. I am by no means sold on the idea yet, but I try to remain open minded to things.

I have no interest in paying $5 a month for a service that is going to routinely kick me off line whenever I'm in the middle of playing a game.

You must not pay for PSN+.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@R4gn4r0k: I get the fuss over subscriptions but we're talking about 30 dollars over a 365 day period... for 8 cents a day I can play the entire library of EA games when this program is up and running? Sounds good to me.

You can play the entire library ?

That sounds nice, you could basically finish all the SP games and cancel the subscription.

And I do understand why some people like subscriptions. But they are just not for me :)

Also, if I can find full games I get to keep for a cheap price I just prefer that.

@bldgirsh said:

To add on to this. The company makes more money this way... after the console's life cycle all those "games" you got are gone and the company just ran away with the cash. Also, unless stated otherwise you gotta pay for XBL so it isn't just a 30 dollar service.

Yeah, there is a reason subscriptions makes things look cheap.

Same with cheap phones when you buy a certain phone provider subscription. I just avoid them when I can.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@bldgirsh: as I stated much of the programs worth will depend on the execution... if people feel they're being robbed they won't buy... let me ask you this though, what precedent has been set in gaming that allows you to keep your games outside of retail copies and a working piece of hardware... won't all those games we buy digitally "disappear" someday when the servers get shut off? Or the hardware goes bust?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By kuu2

@TheEroica said:

@bldgirsh: as I stated much of the programs worth will depend on the execution... if people feel they're being robbed they won't buy... let me ask you this though, what precedent has been set in gaming that allows you to keep your games outside of retail copies and a working piece of hardware... won't all those games we buy digitally "disappear" someday when the servers get shut off? Or the hardware goes bust?

Thinking this only pertains to certain games. I can't see Respawn allowing TitanGreatness on a service like this.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

$30 a year for limited access to a few year-old sports games, early access for demos and a discount on digital games that still ends up being more expensive total.

Why.jpg

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 R4gn4r0k

@TheEroica said:

That's a good question. We won't know until that day arrives I guess.

For now I can install, uninstall and re-install the games I own as much as I want. I don't have to keep paying any subscription to do so.

But the future of digital is very unknown for sure. Like when GFWL was supposedly shutting down NOBODY knew what would happen to their games. That's... that's just horrible.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

Or you could buy old sports games for $5 each and not pay for demos

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@R4gn4r0k: no doubt finding games on the cheap is my favorite method of acquiring games too, but when I put it in context, If I buy 1 EA game at full price I'm out 60.... done right one could actually save some scratch by gaming on all their offerings for half the price...

What scares me away most I'm the subscription aspect is will I even have time to do that much gaming?

I look forward to seeing how this is implimented.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#63 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

So, it's $30 on top of the $60?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 kuu2

Didn't MSoft also have some sort of exclusive agreement with EA? If so this might be it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@TheEroica said:

@R4gn4r0k: no doubt finding games on the cheap is my favorite method of acquiring games too, but when I put it in context, If I buy 1 EA game at full price I'm out 60.... done right one could actually save some scratch by gaming on all their offerings for half the price...

What scares me away most I'm the subscription aspect is will I even have time to do that much gaming?

I look forward to seeing how this is implimented.

When it's a throwaway game, and by that I mean finish once and never look at it again, then sure, this subscription is awesome for that.

But some games I just want to have in my collection for ever. And others, say Crysis, to name an EA game, I just want to play over and over and over.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I think that's a good idea and actually the pricing is fair, I hope us Europeans won't get ripped off by the way. It's a good deal for me because I wouldn't otherwise buy most of their games full-price.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@R4gn4r0k: Certainly agree... some games I need to own. Call me old school or unable to detach from retail, but I'll be owning Mass Effect 4 in hard copy no matter what services try tempting me elsewhere.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Reported.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@Netret0120: guarantee the second the service is on playstation you're first in line...

Probably will come ps4. MS likely buying time access to help struggling xbone. However no cow would hype EA subscription...

Maybe this is good for gamer who buy EA sport game every year if they put new version. Look like putting old version so far... Is this stream service, or you download game? Gamer do not trust EA server any way, even if game is download you will likely must maintain internet connection to play.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

If it's not access for the full game, forget about it, pass.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

$30 a year for limited access to a few year-old sports games, early access for demos and a discount on digital games that still ends up being more expensive total.

Why.jpg

Almost sounds like PSN+

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Why.jpg

.... what?

You answered your own question. The beta is only 4 games. More to come. Five days early trial, 10% discount on new EA games. That means Battlefield 5, Mass Effect 4, Dragons Age:Inquisition can be played five days early and an automatic discount. So what if the games are nearly a year old. Its $30 bucks for an entire year with unlimited access. This is a pretty damn smart, well priced service.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Salt_The_Fries

For me, someone on a tight budget with a kid on the way, this is a godsend. I'm going to only afford one game upon the purchase of X1 and then I'm going to finish it and trade it in for the next one and the next one and yet another one and so on...Meanwhile I'm going to be paying for Gold - getting Games with Gold and for this, and thus I'm going to have a fairly decent game library.

What's wrong in that? I'm actually not attached to owning video games in a proper way. They are not that important to me, although I love gaming, but I'm more of an adventurer or explorer, I guess.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 GrenadeLauncher

@MonsieurX said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Why.jpg

Almost sounds like PSN+

Yeah, almost. Difference being I get six games a month and discounts across all publishers.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 GrenadeLauncher

Figured out you'd probably need to buy 5-6 EA games a year at current digital pricing for the discount to make any sense.

EA is going to make a killing off this from dumb lemmings who think they're getting something special. EA DOES IT AGAIN! It's brilliant!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Wasdie said:

That's an interesting idea. The price is a lot lower than I would expect for such a service. There has to be a big catch to it all.

I think the catch is that this is a streaming service (in beta) from the same company that launched Sim City last year.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By shawn30

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/29/ea-announces-access-subscription-program-for-catalog-games-discounts-early-play-time.aspx

Update: An EA representative tells us that the company has no plans on removing games from The Vault, which means the library of titles available will grow over time. Additionally, if your membership lapses, your progress will be saved should you decide to re-up later.

[Source: EA]

No rotation of titles at all. Its a vault of games that will continue to grow. This isn't streaming, but full game download digital. And at $30 bucks a year, the value of this if those games interest you is pretty big IMHO.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

EA charging only $5 a month for this is very fishy.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Meh, nothing I'd really want.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@TheEroica said:

@R4gn4r0k: Certainly agree... some games I need to own. Call me old school or unable to detach from retail, but I'll be owning Mass Effect 4 in hard copy no matter what services try tempting me elsewhere.

Ah yes, hard copy.

It depends if I go phyiscal or digital depending on the price. But something I'll go physical for is when the game has an amazing box art.

Sunset Overdrive is a candidate:

But I don't own an Xbone

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By GrenadeLauncher

@shawn30 said:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/29/ea-announces-access-subscription-program-for-catalog-games-discounts-early-play-time.aspx

Update: An EA representative tells us that the company has no plans on removing games from The Vault, which means the library of titles available will grow over time. Additionally, if your membership lapses, your progress will be saved should you decide to re-up later.

No rotation of titles at all. Its a vault of games that will continue to grow. This isn't streaming, but full game download digital. And at $30 bucks a year, the value of this if those games interest you is pretty big IMHO.

Might want to read the small print, boyo.

No plans =/= they never will.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Salt_The_Fries

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Wasdie said:

That's an interesting idea. The price is a lot lower than I would expect for such a service. There has to be a big catch to it all.

I think the catch is that this is a streaming service (in beta) from the same company that launched Sim City last year.

I think it's very simple. You probably need active Gold to have access to this EA offer, which in turn forces you to be always hooked. MS and EA probably have some kind of a deal in which they split shares (and MS is probably giving them a small percentage of their Gold income) so that this kind of partnership probably makes perfect sense.

If this was streaming-based (which I highly doubt), then it would suck massively.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#83 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@Zelda187 said:

@cainetao11 said:

You must not pay for PSN+.

Of course not

I'm primarily a PC gamer and have no interest in getting nickeled and dimed by PSN or XBOX Live.

I have a Playstation strictly for exclusives and 3rd party games that aren't available on PC like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Madden, etc.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#84  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

Well **** me sidewayz

Isn't that uncomfortable?

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#85 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Ah, cool. Battlefield 4 will be one of the titles offered from the start. I still need to play that one, so works for me.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

Wow... that is perrrrty!

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@Zelda187:

Ummmm..... $4.99 x 12 months = $59.88 .... At the cost of one game, you get to play more than one. This is cheaper than my gamefly subscription, and a fairly good deal; especially for those that wait and buy Madden or Fifa when it is $29.99, you can just buy the subscription.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 shawn30

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@shawn30 said:

Ok, so they'll add and subtract and give you 30 days notice. The Vault will still grow and the value remains the same. This is a very good idea and I expect it'll be cloned by other devs and will be on PS4 well before the end of the year. $30 bucks a year is a sweet spot.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

but ea games suck, the last one i bought was mass effect 3. no value for me

edit. forgot about titanfall

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#90  Edited By GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

This is a huge blow to PSN. Get access to to unlimited EA games for 5$ vs PSN for $5 an hour.

Hopefully this kicks Sony in the ass and they drop the retarded prices.

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
OniLordAsmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 OniLordAsmodeus
Member since 2010 • 381 Posts

Sounds pretty cool if you ask me. Only thing they need to do is get a better line up and I'd be down.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Not bad, let's see how long EA takes to abuse it.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 GrenadeLauncher

@shawn30 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@shawn30 said:

Ok, so they'll add and subtract and give you 30 days notice. The Vault will still grow and the value remains the same. This is a very good idea and I expect it'll be cloned by other devs and will be on PS4 well before the end of the year. $30 bucks a year is a sweet spot.

$30 a year for discounts that only make sense if you buy 5-6 EA games a year digitally and demos.

The only sweet spot here is not to play.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 shawn30

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@shawn30 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@shawn30 said:

$30 a year for discounts that only make sense if you buy 5-6 EA games a year digitally and demos.

$30 bucks a year for unlimited access to a vault of EA games, many of which are multiplayer, and the number of games will grow is a win any way you look at it. Have early access to new games for 5 days and the ability to save your progress if you buy the game is a nice addition. 10% discount isn't bad either. gain, all for $30 bucks a year. For me BF4, Madden, and Fifa along with early access to Madden 15 and DA:Inquisition are well worth the money. But if the games don't interest you, oh well :) All in all though its a good deal and business model.

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
OniLordAsmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 OniLordAsmodeus
Member since 2010 • 381 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@shawn30 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@shawn30 said:

It may not seem like a deal today, but that is because they don't have the library up and running. These consoles are supposed 10 commitments, in time I expect the value proposition to just get better.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By GrenadeLauncher

@shawn30 said:

$30 bucks a year for unlimited access to a vault of EA games, many of which are multiplayer, and the number of games will grow is a win any way you look at it. Have early access to new games for 5 days and the ability to save your progress if you buy the game is a nice addition. 10% discount isn't bad either. gain, all for $30 bucks a year. For me BF4, Madden, and Fifa along with early access to Madden 15 and DA:Inquisition are well worth the money. But if the games don't interest you, oh well :) All in all though its a good deal and business model.

Yeah, at this point four months old ones.

I heard the early access has a time limit of a few hours. Dunno if there's any confirmation of that.

10% discount is shite considering current digital pricing.

This is hilarious. EA does it again!

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#99  Edited By ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Play First: EA Access members will get to experience trials of new EA games early on Xbox One. Starting 5 days before release, you’ll be able to try the game for at least two hours and then save your progress. Once you purchase the digital or physical copy, you can use your save game and continue the experience.

http://majornelson.com/

5 days early and at least two hour trials on new games. That right there is worth it alone for me. The ever growing vault of games is just a bonus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#100 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Wasdie said:

There is: it's EA.