E3 Lounge: Where Dreams are destroyed and Directs are made! Now with Scorpions™ Live!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2151  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@funsohng said:
@mems_1224 said:

pretty sure you're on record saying Witcher 3 has better combat than Ninja Gaiden

TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

I said: NG has shitty controls. Witcher 3 has pretty cool combat when you get used to it.

There is nothing to get used to, it's shallow as ****, lacks good game feel, and routinely has middle of the pack encounter designs at best as it barely tries to use its own enemies in any clever ways. The game is plenty enjoyable because the world itself is fantastic, but there is nothing to the combat.

Even Souls games are simple, but they make up for their simplicity in spades with top notch level design and exceptional use of their enemy roster.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2152  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Man, I should have never put Persona 5 down. Tried to go back and have no desire to actually finish it

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2153  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Turn-based combat is so booooooooooooooring, it's such a deal-breaker for me

I don't wanna wait for my goddamn turn, lemme be aggressive

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2154  Edited By jg4xchamp

lol I like that meme as much as the next guy, but when it's done well, it's quite good. The thing is so many "good" jrpgs, don't do anything interesting with their turn based stuff beyond the bare bones basics so the genre is low key shallow as ****. I'd say crpgs are better, but according to maroxed I just had a better run of playing the correct crpgs as opposed to them consistently doing shit well, that and in other cases I appreciated the complexity, even if the depth wasn't actually there.

Also Champ thread, on a jabroni game. I know I run the risk of TGR ruining my fucking thread, but I handle that like it's terrorism. If I stop posting what I want to say because of his bullshit, then he wins. And I'm way too condescending to give TGR that W.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2155 mems_1224

@mjorh said:

Turn based combat when done right(Divinity Original Sin, Xcom) is really fun. JRPGs are generally shit at it though.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2156  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@mjorh said:

That is how I feel about action RPGs.

Calling most of them action RPGs is doing a disservice to the action genre, action games actually require skill. Button Masher RPGs is more apt in 95% of cases.

jRPG combat is ass though, but some jRPGs genuinely get it. On a flip note, the 3DS Fire Emblem games have an option to make the enemy turns almost instantaenous. Maybe wait 2-3 seconds at most, only to show a level up or one of your units dying.

As for RTwP. It is called RTwP because they took RTS combat and removed all the strategy... and let you issue commands while pausing. Taking away any urgency the game might otherwise have had.

@jg4xchamp said:

lol I like that meme as much as the next guy, but when it's done well, it's quite good. The thing is so many "good" jrpgs, don't do anything interesting with their turn based stuff beyond the bare bones basics so the genre is low key shallow as ****. I'd say crpgs are better, but according to maroxed I just had a better run of playing the correct crpgs as opposed to them consistently doing shit well, that and in other cases I appreciated the complexity, even if the depth wasn't actually there.

Also Champ thread, on a jabroni game. I know I run the risk of TGR ruining my fucking thread, but I handle that like it's terrorism. If I stop posting what I want to say because of his bullshit, then he wins. And I'm way too condescending to give TGR that W.

correct cRPGs?

Bitch please, cRPGs are generally speaking the only RPGs (outside of tabletop), that aren't shit.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2157 jg4xchamp

I feel like the strategy games should naturally be separated from this. I mean it goes without saying a game like XCom or Fire Emblem or what have you don't hit the same pitfalls as like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, or whatever.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2158  Edited By Maroxad

So I watched Sword Art Online abridged. Its kinda fascinating how they managed to salvage that garbage anime into something genuinely good.

Probably helps because the guys who made the parodies were actually knowledgeable and knew what they were talking about. Unlike the original author which hasnt even touched a video game.

I like also how they put up some trivia here and there and told you to look it up in the subtitles. Such as Saint Nick being the patron saint of prostitutes.

@jg4xchamp said:

I feel like the strategy games should naturally be separated from this. I mean it goes without saying a game like XCom or Fire Emblem or what have you don't hit the same pitfalls as like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, or whatever.

Lol Dragon Quest. At least Final Fantasy has FFT and the mmorpgs. Which almost makes up for the rest of the franchise's sorry existance.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2159 mjorh

Yeah strategy games are a kind of their own, that's a different story

I should give Divinity a shot ?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2160 mjorh

@Maroxad: Yeah they don't even come close to Action games, that's for sure.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2161 Maroxad

@mjorh said:

@Maroxad: Yeah they don't even come close to Action games, that's for sure.

And that is the problem. Much like how RTwP games are RTS but without the good. Action RPGs are Action games without the things that make Action games good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2162 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@mjorh: Try Advance Wars too if you ever get the chance.

Turn-based stuff is good for me and games like Fallout (1 & 2) using action points in a manner similar to other RPG mediums is a good example of how plotting a strategy within a turn can be a compelling thing.

Think of some board games and how the turn-based gameplay requires you to engage in the game not only in the present or immediate future but in the long-term future also. Video games can do that same thing it's just that perhaps not all turn-based RPGs are successful at it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2163  Edited By Maroxad

@jumpaction said:

@mjorh: Try Advance Wars too if you ever get the chance.

Turn-based stuff is good for me and games like Fallout (1 & 2) using action points in a manner similar to other RPG mediums is a good example of how plotting a strategy within a turn can be a compelling thing.

Think of some board games and how the turn-based gameplay requires you to engage in the game not only in the present or immediate future but in the long-term future also. Video games can do that same thing it's just that perhaps not all turn-based RPGs are successful at it.

Turn Based RPGs are usually the ones where character abilities matter the most (send a wimp into the front lines and he will die). Turn based combat is also the only form of combat where RPGs arent hopelessly outclassed and I wish I was playing something else instead.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2164 jg4xchamp

That rpg thread guy is adorbs "if you aren't happy with the story".

"if"

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2165 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@Maroxad: That reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles which was not turn-based but had that agro system other games have. Basically, you know weaker team-mates need to aggravate the enemy as little as possible while tank team members who can take the damage should focus on gaining their attention. That's actually got a fun RPG system in it.

I do know what you are saying and multiplayer Pokemon proves what a good RPS and turn-based system can achieve.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2166 mjorh

@jumpaction: Will do, thx for the suggestion!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2167 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@jg4xchamp: I'll read your new thread later. I need to get to work. :(

@mjorh: Welcome. :)

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2168 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Breath of the Wild hard mode is probably the most happy I'll ever be to play more Zelda.

@xdude85 said:

That would be a great campaign slogan.

I'll use it when I run for President in 2024.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2169 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@mmmwksil: I hope it's good. I've reached a point now that the negative feedback loop isn't keeping up with me. I need a challenge again. Do we know when it is released?

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2170 mmmwksil

@jumpaction:

This Friday, June 30. Need to purchase the DLC nonsense to get it, I'm sure you know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2171  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@mmmwksil: Yes, I already did purchase it. I think that is so ridiculous. Hard mode should have been included in the original game.

I purchased it because I wanted the additional campaign but I am glad that I did because Breath of the Wild is lovely. I haven't actually beaten Ganon yet. I've been just wandering around doing all the shrines, quests and korok seeds I find. It's one of the rare open world games that isn't making me feel guilty of doing every little thing. :P

It is, however, too easy now (BoTW is one of those weird games where it gets progressively easier despite the negative feedback loop connected to shrines and enemy difficulty). Urbosa's fury and the weapons I have amassed now are just way too strong for the rubber-banding to keep up so I've been holding off for hard mode. The extra costumes are a nice touch and trials also seem really good!

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2172 mmmwksil

@jumpaction:

I agree, it should have been included. But whatever, we're long past the days when they'd include tons of extra features just because they wanted to make the best possible product. Why bother with that when they can charge extra for it and people will pay?

Either way, I'm totally fine if Nintendo chooses to pull a Gen 3 Capcom and release almost yearly Zelda games in this style. I could play this kind of game again and again provided we get a new world to explore each time. Wishing it happens, or that they release more DLC for it (new overworld mainly, I don't mind the dungeons staying the same).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2173  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@mmmwksil: I've said it before that (even though I loved A Link Between Worlds) Breath of the Wild has made me excited for Zelda games again.

I would love to see how traditional temples would fair in this style of game too. I am really excited to see what the story DLC is. Will we get new temples? More traditional temples in terms of length and scope? Will we see a built up city?

I would love to see what Hyrule City would play like in this open world template. It would be cool to chat to town folk about rumors around the city and find yourself in all kinds of back alleys of the city with only a scrap of information to go on.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2174 mmmwksil

@jumpaction:

Ehh... don't hold your breath. Nintendo isn't that wild.

The end of the year "story" DLC will likely only be some dialogue and maybe, MAYBE a new dungeon off in a remote corner of the world. You want anything more of what you said, you'd have to wait for a new game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2175  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@mmmwksil: Haha. I know to keep my expectations in check with Nintendo. It's wishful thinking, if anything. :)

All the same, these features are definitely something I would like to see appear in the next Zelda title. I think Breath of the Wild is a great foundation (and very good in its own right) that, like I said, has me really enthusiastic regarding what they will do next.

I haven't felt this way about Zelda in a long time. (Again, as a side, I thought A Link Between Worlds was great).

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2176 mmmwksil

@jumpaction:

Link Between Worlds was fantastic. Back when it first released, I shrugged it off. Thought it was just more Nintendo milking, this time tapping one of my personal favorites. My surprise when they actually cooked up something genuinely fantastic. Hadn't been that happy with a Zelda since the GBC games by Capcom.

And I agree, the foundation they have with BOTW is great. Let them milk it for all its worth. Everyone else does it, why shouldn't Nintendo? At least we know we'll be getting more of a good thing. And when we've had our fill and collectively hurl over too much of this good thing, we can go back to the usual "Nintendoomed they only rerelease old games".

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#2177 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I hope what happened with Skyward Sword to Breath of the Wild happens with Pokemon Sun to the next Pokemon game.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2178 mmmwksil

My eternal struggle: talking sense into idiots who think Secret of Mana (or any Mana game really) was a good game.

@zassimick said:

I hope what happened with Skyward Sword to Breath of the Wild happens with Pokemon Sun to the next Pokemon game.

Preach it, Zass. Gen 7 Pokemon was terrible and they need to come up with something better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2179 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@zassimick: That would be great. I admire that Game-Freak found their feet a little better with their 3D graphics engine on Sun/Moon but it was a great sacrifice on some seriously linear game design. Granted, I know Game-Freak are different than Nintendo EAD but if they could learn something from EAD's approach on BoTW and Mario Odyssey, that would be excellent.

@mmmwksil: I was surprised too. I think the art direction didn't help as first impressions were a little underwhelming. I'm sorry I doubted it though because it was great. More open world Zelda is going to be great though. I am glad that people were receptive to it too as it will encourage Aonuma to continue this route.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2180 mmmwksil

@jumpaction:

I was the same. E3 2016 I could not give a rat's *** what they were saying about Zelda. So sure I was that it would suck. It was only mere weeks before release that I started buying into the hype.

I'm glad I chose to buy a Switch at launch with the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2181 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@mmmwksil: I kind of am too.

Even though I have been recommending uncertain buyers to wait, I'm glad I didn't because it meant I could give BoTW the time it deserved to be played. I can't imagine playing that game alongside something like Mario Odyssey. Just too much.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2182  Edited By jg4xchamp

Lord and Miller aren't working on the Han Solo movie anymore, my fucks given for Disney's run with Star Wars is back to zero outside of Rian Johnson doing Episode 8.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2183 mmmwksil

"Secret of Mana isn't a bad game because people love it."

Yup. I'm done for today. No more dealing with delusional gamers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2184  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@jg4xchamp: That movie sounds like it's going through a really rough production. :/

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2185 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58926 Posts

That bar has been lowered again.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2186 Maroxad

@mmmwksil said:

"Secret of Mana isn't a bad game because people love it."

Yup. I'm done for today. No more dealing with delusional gamers.

Who? Where? Why?

But yeah Secret of Mana is pretty lousy. Who thought that putting a fucking ATB in an action game was a good idea?

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2187 mmmwksil
@Maroxad said:

Who? Where? Why?

But yeah Secret of Mana is pretty lousy. Who thought that putting a fucking ATB in an action game was a good idea?

Nintendo Life comments section. The sheep there get so defensive when you dare to speak out against anything on Nintendo hardware.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2188 mjorh

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2189  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Rockets, bad trade...

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2190 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

I'm like 10 hours into Horizon and I feel like I have not done shit in that game

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2191 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56087 Posts

If you're only doing side stuff in Zero Dawn, it can be a drag, gotta do more main quest every now and then. That's how it was for me in Witcher 3.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2192 mems_1224

@Chutebox said:

Rockets, bad trade...

How so?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2193  Edited By Chutebox

@mems_1224 said:
@Chutebox said:

Rockets, bad trade...

How so?

Gave up too much for an old point guard.

What the hell is Harden going to do? He was the PG. And no way would I give up my best defensive player.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2194 mems_1224

@Chutebox said:
@mems_1224 said:
@Chutebox said:

Rockets, bad trade...

How so?

What the hell is Harden going to do? He was the PG. And no way would I give up my best defensive player.

Not really. Pat Bev is the biggest piece we gave up and Paul is easily an upgrade over him and is still a great defender. You know Harden used to play SG right? Kyrie and Lebron are two ball dominant players and they work out just fine. Plus Paul is way better at taking care of the ball than Harden. And now Harden doesn't have to carry the load on offense which wore him the **** down last year.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2195 Chutebox

@mems_1224 said:
@Chutebox said:
@mems_1224 said:
@Chutebox said:

Rockets, bad trade...

How so?

Not really. Pat Bev is the biggest piece we gave up and Paul is easily an upgrade over him and is still a great defender. You know Harden used to play SG right? Kyrie and Lebron are two ball dominant players and they work out just fine. Plus Paul is way better at taking care of the ball than Harden. And now Harden doesn't have to carry the load on offense which wore him the **** down last year.

Williams is a good piece dude. He was inconsistent there, but still good. Rockets defense was already shit with Bev, now what? lol

And that was a different Harden in OKC. I think they would have been better with a different offensive piece like hayward.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2196 mems_1224

@Chutebox said:
@mems_1224 said:
@Chutebox said:
@mems_1224 said:
@Chutebox said:

Rockets, bad trade...

How so?

Williams is a good piece dude. He was inconsistent there, but still good. Rockets defense was already shit with Bev, now what? lol

And that was a different Harden in OKC. I think they would have been better with a different offensive piece like hayward.

Williams is a good piece but all he does is score and he honestly didn't play that great after he got traded until the playoffs started. You realize CP3 is a pretty good defender right? Plus now the burden of running the offense isn't entirely on Harden which is what hurt us last year

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2197 Chutebox

@mems_1224 said:
@Chutebox said:
@mems_1224 said:
@Chutebox said:
@mems_1224 said:

How so?

Williams is a good piece but all he does is score and he honestly didn't play that great after he got traded until the playoffs started. You realize CP3 is a pretty good defender right? Plus now the burden of running the offense isn't entirely on Harden which is what hurt us last year

Ya, but he's not Bev good. I think Harden likes that the offense went through him. We'll see how it turns out.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2198  Edited By DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@davillain- said:

If you're only doing side stuff in Zero Dawn, it can be a drag, gotta do more main quest every now and then. That's how it was for me in Witcher 3.

Didn't think I'd been doing too much side distraction, seems like the story just hasn't progressed very far vs amount of time. I just passed through the gate to Meridian. I've heard good things so I imagine it will start picking up more, still enjoying it though

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2199 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@mjorh said:

My problem with turn-based combat is that you usually get screwed over by it. You usually have an enemy that is one of several things: a higher level than you, has a weapon/attack arsenal that has at least one move that wipes your entire team out, or has healing spells/moves that keeps the battle going on for what seems like eternity. Add in the RNG, grinding, and other elemental/harmful effects (sleep, poison, burn, freeze, etc.) that make life a pain and there you have it! It's a shame too, because the gameplay is typically addicting for me. I just feel like when the difficulty spike comes, it feels kind of unfair.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2200 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58926 Posts

District 9 gets better with repeated viewings.