E3 Lounge: Where Dreams are destroyed and Directs are made! Now with Scorpions™ Live!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1551 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Sears was dope. Pretty much my entire experience with the PS1 was at sears.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#1552 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

Last second clutch on Ranked ARMS match. Dude/dudette must be so pissed right now lol. I can't tell if ARMS is somewhat unbalanced at times or not. Addictive as much as Splatoon was though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1553  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

Funnily enough one of the first games I remember playing aside from The Last Ninja was Yie Ar Kung-Fu on the C64.

Loading Video...

For an 8 bit fighter (when compared to others like the ported Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat series) it was slick even if it didn't look as good.

Speaking of ports, the 1997 Street Fighter II port, though clunky and still somewhat limited was a pretty good demonstration of the Master Systems abilities.

Loading Video...

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1554 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@aigis: yea, it'll be on this coming 23.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1555  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

There is a kid at my other job, who can legally serve, and was born in 98 who I talk games with at work. This mother fuckers first Nintendo console, his first console was the gamecube. Made me feel old.

So what was your first gaming machine+game.

Mine was the SNES with Donkey Kong Country. I'm 99% sure I didn't get my next console till the N64 with Super Smash Bros.

Mine was Sega Genesis, with games like Sonic, MK, Road Rush and there was this racing game with a black car, I still don't know its name lol

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1556 mjorh

Sponge is a breed of its own

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1557 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Nioh

Conan, it's the ninja gaiden block dash. I'm in love.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1558 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Sears was dope. Pretty much my entire experience with the PS1 was at sears.

I remember when I was younger, I got the Sears and Sega logo mixed up.

So as a kid growing up, I thought there were all those Sega stores at the mall or in plazas, and I was always curious to see what they had inside.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1559 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@jg4xchamp:

My favorite aspect of the combat is probably how Ki Pulse works, especially once it becomes tied to your dashes. Also how the Ki system works with your various stances, very well thought out. They took something as tired as a stamina bar and built skill/depth around it. Good shit.

Plus the game has the best easter egg ever, won't spoil it, but you're gonna grin ear to ear when you see what I'm talking about lol.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1560  Edited By mjorh

No Nioh for PC, bummer

I'd be surprised if they don't release this on PC tho, such games do great on Steam

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1561 mems_1224

I came super close to getting Nioh but cooler heads prevailed. Will probably pick it up when its cheaper later this year. Still need to play more Bloodborne. I forgot where I left off

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1562 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Ok, so Oxenfree is discounted on PSN, so I'll definitely have to get it now while it's still cheap.

If only Night in the Woods was on sale.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1563  Edited By ConanTheStoner

Yeah, a PC version would be nice. I played it on the regular PS4 in "performance mode" or whatever it's called. So you sacrifice image quality for performance, but the bitch is that it still gets some terrible frame dips. Been a while since I've played it though, maybe they've patched some of that stuff up.

It's a very good game though, best combat in any ARPG I've played by a long shot. Some top notch encounter design in a lot of areas as well.

Level design is pretty standard, enemy variety isn't all that great, the game gets way too easy in the back half, and it has nothing on Soulsborne environments and atmosphere.

Basically if you like Ninjas, Samurai, and good combat, it's the shit lol. But it could definitely see some improvement in other areas.

****, now I want to play some Nioh.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1564 mjorh

@ConanTheStoner: Do you think it would've been better if it wasn't an RPG?

Sometimes I don't understand the necessity of making a game RPG

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1565 jg4xchamp

@mjorh said:

Not too far into it, but I would say the Souls games aren't hurt by being rpgs, because they use the better part of a RPG. The action is still governed by the basic principles an action game would be governed by+the action itself feels good to pull off. Western rpgs the issue is either

-The rpg adds boring ass dice rolls that makes the combat feel terrible ala Morrowind and its ilk
-The action just isn't good period

And I think that stems from a bit of cultural difference in what type of Japanese games Conan n I gas up (because Square technically fits what I'm about to say about the west), where as triple A western stuff is often big production n graphics, with gameplay that even on its best days works, but is rarely there to challenge the player in an interesting way. Doom, Dishonored, Deus Ex, n Hitman are massive exceptions, because those games seem to actually worry about the fucking gameplay.

RPG systems don't need to be bad, it's more so which rpg systems devs are throwing in, that often are either superfluous or straight shit.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1566  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

First console was NES, which I got when I was 5 or 6, but think the first video game I tried was prince of persia on my dads pc, later watched him play some civ, which I obv wanted to try as well and they dont start teaching english before the 3rd/4th grade here, so basically my dad introduced me to heroin that is civ, thanks dad.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1567  Edited By uninspiredcup

@mjorh said:

His avatar's distracting, he's a kid.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1568 jg4xchamp

The way Nioh starts by actually being a fucking game, and letting me mess with its best part is so lovely. Unlike other action/rpgs I played this year like HOrizon, where you do a string of boring ass errands (for a plot), and the most basic ass stealth game, because **** that time when we had things like Thief n Metal Gear n Splinter Cell n Hitman. Fucking des games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1569 uninspiredcup

I miss brick box's.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1570 mjorh

@jg4xchamp said:
@mjorh said:

Not too far into it, but I would say the Souls games aren't hurt by being rpgs, because they use the better part of a RPG. The action is still governed by the basic principles an action game would be governed by+the action itself feels good to pull off. Western rpgs the issue is either

-The rpg adds boring ass dice rolls that makes the combat feel terrible ala Morrowind and its ilk

And I think that stems from a bit of cultural difference in what type of Japanese games Conan n I gas up (because Square technically fits what I'm about to say about the west), where as triple A western stuff is often big production n graphics, with gameplay that even on its best days works, but is rarely there to challenge the player in an interesting way. Doom, Dishonored, Deus Ex, n Hitman are massive exceptions, because those games seem to actually worry about the fucking gameplay.

RPG systems don't need to be bad, it's more so which rpg systems devs are throwing in, that often are either superfluous or straight shit.

Yeah if they nail the action part, then it's okay.

But still, I feel like they can capitilize on more important aspects instead of going RPG, Conan said level design and enemy variety are nothing to write home about in Nioh, so when you can spend your resources on overhauling these aspects why would you go with RPG elements. I think the same applies to Nier Automata, which you said the action is not on par with PG's other titles, so overall, I think you can tell your story and nail your action without making the game open-world or RPG

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1571 jg4xchamp

I like the ones the old mech warrior games had. Mech Warrior 3's box looks fly.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1572  Edited By mjorh

@uninspiredcup said:
@mjorh said:

Yeah :D

Sometimes I wonder if the person is serious or is he trolling, by now I'm sure Ghost is trolling, but Sponge seems to be so damn serious lol

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1573 uninspiredcup

@mjorh said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@mjorh said:

Sometimes I wonder if the person is serious or is he trolling, by now I'm sure Ghost is trolling, but Sponge seems to be so damn serious lol

He probably isn't, remember being younger and getting invested and emotional over absolute nonsense to get those internet points.

Thankfully those days are long gone.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1574 mjorh

@uninspiredcup: I miss holding a game in my hands and that fresh smell

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1575 mjorh

@uninspiredcup said:
@mjorh said:

He probably isn't, remember being younger and getting invested and emotional over absolute nonsense to get those internet points.

Thankfully those days are long gone.

*chuckles*

Indeed

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1576 mjorh

@howmakewood said:

First console was NES, which I got when I was 5 or 6, but think the first video game I tried was prince of persia on my dads pc, later watched him play some civ, which I obv wanted to try as well and they dont start teaching english before the 3rd/4th grade here, so basically my dad introduced me to heroin that is civ, thanks dad.

That's cute :D

On teaching EN, don't know where you live in, but here they do such a lousy job at that, I mean by the time students graduate they literally have no idea how to read, write and speak EN, after like 8 years of being in EN classes lol

If you really wanna learn it, you have to go to private classes that are run by ppl who actually know how to teach.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1577  Edited By jg4xchamp

@mjorh said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Yeah if they nail the action part, then it's okay.

But still, I feel like they can capitilize on more important aspects instead of going RPG, Conan said level design and enemy variety are nothing to write home about in Nioh, so when you can spend your resources on overhauling these aspects why would you go with RPG elements. I think the same applies to Nier Automata, which you said the action is not on par with PG's other titles, so overall, I think you can tell your story and nail your action without making the game open-world or RPG

Right, but Souls games have rpg and the enemies n level design are fantastic in those games. Has nothing to do with it being a rpg, though yeah sure Devil May Cry 4 is deeper. But that's fine, you know making action/rpgs isn't exactly a bad calling. It's a matter of understanding that I'm fusing this with that, and important to recognize what is interesting about "this" and what is special about "that". And how do you make both work, and answering what has to take one for the team.

It's not like half-breeds don't work as games. I don't think anyone can argue the Arkham games are particularly deep (well Mirko would), but I also think the Arkham games are damn good. Maybe not the best of the best of the best, but they balance their ideas very well. It's not like Bayonetta's laser focus doesn't lead to short comings of its own: bad gimmick levels, those stupid QTE insta-kills, the combo system itself is actually really tough to learn for a long haul because of the dial-a-combo nature of it. And not in a satisfying way sometimes imo.

Which I sort of agree with Conan that DMC has your fingers dancing too much across a controller, but what's fun about DMC3n4 is that you aren't learning combos, you are learning links, and figuring out the links on your own. That's what's special about that game, and it's fucking rad.

It goes back to a Mikami quote about it's not about what's wrong with the game, it's about taking the thing your game does well, and focusing all your energy on that. Bayonetta's combat n enemies? Stellar, but is the level design particularly interesting? Not really. Is it a drawback? not necessarily, but it's clearly giving up something to a Souls game, and situational depth is nothing to scoff at. Nier: Auto Tomato's issues might not be as simple as "the rpg parts", as much as, why did they play it so safe with enemy variation for a story? Especially a story that demands multiple playthroughs for you to "really beat the game". If you will.

Like fundamentally Deus Ex isn't close to as good of a FPS as Doom or Half Life, and it sure as **** isn't as good of a stealth game as Thief or even Metal Gear Solid for all of Warren Spector's snark about MGS being a game where you play the radar. But, it's a beloved game, and that's because of the sheer options of its level design, it almost excuses that game for having bad game feel and iffy mechanics.

Of course I would argue that the OG Deus Ex is a good game, not a great one, and actually mistakes "complexity" with "depth", and recently, my mind has actually flipped, I'm starting to think Human Revolution and probably its sequel are actually better games. And none of it is a product of "well for the time", because no, it's the things Deus Ex valued during development that make it a lesser game to me now. Has nothing to do with any of its ideas being dated concepts.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1578 ConanTheStoner
@mjorh said:

I don't really have a problem with the RPG elements that are there, and while I do think the combat is very good, I'm not sure how well it would stand on its own as a straight up action game. It would still be good, but I feel the "rpg" systems do add to the overall package in this case.

Basically, the character building itself is a lot of fun. Being able to turn my dude into a speed demon of a ninja with all kinds of bullshit ninja tricks was a blast. Being able to dick around with other builds was cool too, there's a lot of good range in there. The slow transformation process before deciding to go all out ninja had me toying with all kinds of different stuff and every bit of that was satisfying.

Of course leveling stats is both a plus and minus. It's cool as shit that you can go to these missions that are way the fvck past your level and punch above your weight for better shit. It makes for a satisfying challenge, because you yourself had to get good enough at the combat to pull through. On the flip side, it's too easy to level past the challenge in the main content. In the back half of the game I was beating a lot of bosses on my first try. Sometimes I didn't even get hit, which is all good, that was just me improving as a player. But other times, they just couldn't stand up to my build, it was a one sided fight from the get go.

Still, for the most part, I think the game handles it pretty well. There's plenty of extra challenge in the twilight missions and sub-missions, and even within the main missions there's usually some challenging side enemies to go after if you wish.

Where I think the game goes overboard isn't with the RPG systems, but the loot. It's too much. I found myself doing busy work for some RNG nonsense later in the game, shit I just don't care for. I could've done without that aspect. Or at least dump the randomness, if I'm going to get a better version of a weapon I have, make me earn it from a specific challenging task.

---

Could Nioh have been better as just an action game? Maybe. A lot of stuff would need to be reworked, but I'm sure Team Ninja could have pulled it off just fine.

But does it hurt for being an RPG? Nah. I felt it did at first, but after a while I grew to appreciate how its systems work. It's good shit.

Like Champ was saying, the core of the game is still good action and it's on point. Player skill is a requirement from beginning to end. It's not some mediocre core gameplay being masked by rpg and loot systems, those things are only there to add an extra hook and keep a lengthy game fresh and interesting. And it's not just a matter of "Hey look, your strength went up!", they actually add new skills and abilities to your immediate combat arsenal, allowing you to customize your move set and get crazier with offense, defense, combos, etc. which regularly keeps you involved in mastering your main weapons sets.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1579 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@mjorh: Finland and the level of education here is pretty good(and its free), you need a maters degree to teach at elementary school, so teachers are pretty well paid and it's a respected position

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1580 mjorh

@jg4xchamp: Yeah, that is indeed true.

In defense of Bayo, those QTE Insta-kills, granted they're annoying but they only happen like 4 or 5 times during a 15 hour playthrough, and those gimmick levels, like that motorcycle section, they're too short to put a damper on the game, while in contrast, enemy variation being subpar is way more important and makes the game less compelling.

And I'm having a rough time wrapping my mind around the term "situational depth", what do you mean by that? ?

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1581 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

He's doing it again! Claims Capcom is lying and Monster Hunter World is not the new main line. @ConanTheStoner your Nintendo pal is awesome.

It's like he's arguing that Marvel-616 and DC-52 isn't the current mainline series on their respective comics.

Unless Capcom literally lied.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1582  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@jg4xchamp said:

Which I sort of agree with Conan that DMC has your fingers dancing too much across a controller, but what's fun about DMC3n4 is that you aren't learning combos, you are learning links, and figuring out the links on your own. That's what's special about that game, and it's fucking rad.

Yeah, it's kind of a silly complaint, since I fucking love fighting games, and playing Dhalsim in SFV is like learning to play an instrument lol.

It's weird how I like dissecting links, which ones work with certain spacing, which ones only work on counter-hit vs. a normal hit etc. in a fighting game, yet find link learning out of place for a beat em up. I guess it's really just a comfort zone thing, I've become so used to somewhat free-form dial-a-combo systems for that genre.

Still, I do agree, when things really fall into place in DMC, there's just nothing else like it. DMC4's combo system is nothing short of fucking ridiculous lol. Like if any beat em up deserves its own teaching tools on the same level as a fighting game, DMC4 is it.

@anthonyautumns said:

@ConanTheStoner your Nintendo pal is awesome.

lol. I assume you're either talking about Kbfloyd or Iandizion. Bunch of dorks.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1583 mjorh

@ConanTheStoner: That sounds amazing! I'll be sure to play it once it hits PC.

So I guess we can conclude that RPG elements can compliment a good combat system, making the game more interesting and refreshing in the later hours, while bad combat system (AC Origins ?) can not be remedied by RPG elements

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1584  Edited By mjorh

@howmakewood said:

@mjorh: Finland and the level of education here is pretty good(and its free), you need a maters degree to teach at elementary school, so teachers are pretty well paid and it's a respected position

Which the opposite of that is true here, well, that's the difference between a third-world and a first-world country lol

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1585 mjorh

@ConanTheStoner: Whenever I see Iandizion, I'm reminded of your gift *chuckles*

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1586 ConanTheStoner

@mjorh said:

So I guess we can conclude that RPG elements can compliment a good combat system, making the game more interesting and refreshing in the later hours, while bad combat system (AC Origins ?) can not be remedied by RPG elements

Well yeah, but I guess what it really comes down to is if your core gameplay sucks, no amount of bells and whistles will hide that fact.

But sure, it's a balancing act. One that many devs just seem to suck at in the ARPG space.

But say if we're talking Souls games, as much as I enjoy the core combat, there's no way that combat would keep me engaged for 100+ hours on its own. The system itself isn't mechanically rich or deep enough to have legs like that. But combined with its RPG elements, excellent enemy variety, and sweet ass level design? Yeah, you get a whole lot more mileage out of a relatively simple combat system.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#1587  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

We once had this promo back in the late 90s where you got a free PC game that came in a cereal box. Had doubles of Age of Empires and brought the spare to school to trade some kid for that sweet V-Rally game. It barely ran.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1588 mjorh

@ConanTheStoner said:
@mjorh said:

Well yeah, but I guess what it really comes down to is if your core gameplay sucks, no amount of bells and whistles will hide that fact.

But sure, it's a balancing act. One that many devs just seem to suck at in the ARPG space.

But say if we're talking Souls games, as much as I enjoy the core combat, there's no way that combat would keep me engaged for 100+ hours on its own. The system itself isn't mechanically rich or deep enough to have legs like that. But combined with its RPG elements, excellent enemy variety, and sweet ass level design? Yeah, you get a whole lot more mileage out of a relatively simple combat system.

True that

Now I have a good idea of the whole thing, thx to you and Champ <3

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1589 mjorh

@illmatic87 said:

We once had this promo back in the late 90s where you got a free PC game that came in a cereal box. Had doubles of Age of Empires and brought the spare to school to trade some kid for that sweet V-Rally game. It barely ran.

Dem CDs! man they could be such a hassle when scratched or sth

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1590 uninspiredcup

Kellogg's Age Of Empires.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#1591 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Kellogg's Age Of Empires.

Taco Bell's PlayStation 4 PRO.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1592 mems_1224

Man, Infamous Second Son is a frustrating game. It looks gorgeous, the gameplay so far is actually kind of solid but the story and characters are so God damn awful and the mission design sucks butt. It also has Troy Baker in the most Troy Baker role of all time where he isn't even pretending to kinda sorta act. Kinda just makes me want to play Sunset Overdrive again.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1594 jg4xchamp
Loading Video...

How'd you hit the side of the BACKBOARD!!! I love this video so much lol

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1595 ConanTheStoner

I think you like Nintendos finger much.

The best thing Azatis will ever type.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1596 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@jg4xchamp: For context, was it really that bad? I know the finals ended 4-1 (I think?), but given the timezones I managed to watch exactly 0 minutes of live footage. Only managed to catch some of the best plays the following day after each game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1597 jg4xchamp

@Desmonic: Lebron was playing a shit load of minutes; and yeah his teammates were completely outclassed. The Warriors were stacked as it is, and Durant was getting free lanes all series it felt like.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1598  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@jg4xchamp: Quality players getting free lanes does sound indeed like no-show by the Cavs. Oh well. Can't comeback from a 3-1 difference every year I guess :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1599 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

I think you like Nintendos finger much.

The best thing Azatis will ever type.

Doesn't stop the fact that he gets offended when someone (especially a sheep) doesn't even have much of an interest in what Sony has to offer (and I stated my reasons that a lot of it ended up on XBOX, and I accepted it since the 360). Besides, I never said I hated Sony systems after PS2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#1600  Edited By deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

LOL, ARMS literally punishes you for doing well (though I gain more experience I think?). If you go on a winning streak on Party mode you begin to lose health. Lost 25% of my health and then 50% lol.