E3 fraud is going free on the Epic Games Store next week. Update: PC masterpiece is also free.

• 52 results
Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 913 Posts

Wait Out Coronavirus With Epic Games Store’s Freebies

A trailer that doesn't lie, almost everything Corvo did in the trailer can the player do in the game.

8 years later and this still amazes me. Arkane revealed this game in the same year.

GDC postponed but I can feel the Epicness!!!

Edit: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-stanley-parable/home

The game will end, the game will never end. Contradiction follows contradiction, the rules of how games should work are broken, then broken again. This world was not made for you to understand.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 39525 Posts

Accurate title.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33719 Posts

Dishonored trailer was one of the best things I've seen at an E3 show, and it got me very hyped for the game.

Watch_dogs is a game that I played and instantly forgot about. Spidertank was cool, no idea why they took it out for the sequel.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 4865 Posts

The Watch_Dogs downgrade really left a bad taste in my mouth this whole gen it's pathetic that the E3 2012 version still looks better then any other Watch dogs games to date.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 62930 Posts

Imagine falling for a video game trailer. Imagine being that dumb.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 25162 Posts

I'll still download it, just to say I own it.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5056 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Accurate title.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 15293 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Sony fans, E3 2006, Killzone 2 trailer.

EDIT: I think it may have been E3 2005 actually.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46506 Posts

It's not enough for them to maintain exclusivity on games from customers, now they have to take away industry tools from developers.

"Oh, you want to make a game with mocap? Well, you better use our service and, by the way, you have to be a lifelong exclusive on the Epic Store if you want access to it"

WESTBLADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WESTBLADE
Member since 2006 • 890 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Haha, i clearly remember that infamous trailer and even back then i knew it was BS. As well as other obvious hype-train fueled, but never delivered features (dual hdmi/1080p output? XD).

BTW, wasn't that "FF7 tech-demo" (which was obviously prerendered aswell) shown at the very same event?

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 15293 Posts

@WESTBLADE said:
@lebanese_boy said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Haha, i clearly remember that infamous trailer and even back then i knew it was BS. As well as other obvious hype-train fueled, but never delivered features (dual hdmi/1080p output? XD).

BTW, wasn't that "FF7 tech-demo" (which was obviously prerendered aswell) shown at the very same event?

I had completely forgotten about that, I actually had to google it lol.

But yeah the KZ2 trailer was the true talk of town back then.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

@jg4xchamp: you mean after Far Cry 3, Watch_dogs and Assassin's creed?

Yeah I still only mistrust Ubisoft trailers mostly. But no trailer is as good as getting hands on with a game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jg4xchamp

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah I still only mistrust Ubisoft trailers mostly. But no trailer is as good as getting hands on with a game.

In general, I hate video game trailers. Trailers are not video games. Demos are. Show me an actual video game being played by a person, pls stop treating them like movies. I don't give a **** about the lore. I don't care how hard you worked on making that tree look pretty. I don't care about your taste in music, tho sure Maxwell is pretty godlike.

Pls only show me the video game, it is the only thing I am asking to be shown. I do not care about what's going to generate more excitement from your mouth breather fanbase.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 14156 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

In general, I hate video game trailers. Trailers are not video games. Demos are. Show me an actual video game being played by a person, pls stop treating them like movies. I don't give a **** about the lore. I don't care how hard you worked on making that tree look pretty. I don't care about your taste in music, tho sure Maxwell is pretty godlike.

Pls only show me the video game, it is the only thing I am asking to be shown. I do not care about what's going to generate more excitement from your mouth breather fanbase.

story is important in games. champ.

always been.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25769 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I always wish they'd cut all the bullshit out from trailers and show me the fucking game. Which is why I generally don't watch trailers. Sometimes I check a trailer out and skip all the bullshit until I see the actual game, but trailers are usually 90-100% bullshit catered to stupid people who get impressed by shiny bullshit. It's easier to ignore trailers and just go to youtube to check the actual game out.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51734 Posts

Never finished Watch Dogs. Never got close, either. Thoroughly enjoyed Watch Dogs 2.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jg4xchamp

@ghosts4ever said:

story is important in games. champ.

Bitch shut the **** up.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13089 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Never finished Watch Dogs. Never got close, either. Thoroughly enjoyed Watch Dogs 2.

Is WD2 actually good? I see it go on sale pretty often, but after playing the first game, I had no interest.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp: When games like Mafia, Max payne, Deus Ex have such deep story. You cant say story doesnot matter in gsmes. It does.

Story driven games are some of the best games ever.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 getyeryayasout

@ghosts4ever: Story matters more the worse the gameplay.

It's a sliding scale.

WESTBLADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WESTBLADE

@jg4xchamp: I'm pretty sure that @R4gn4r0k was talking about the scripted "gameplay footage" videos, that were suppossed to be well, gameplay footage. Here's a perfect example of another literal fraud, but not courtesy of Ubi:

Loading Video...

BTW, what's wrong with a dev explaining new technology, game mechanics, etc. (unless it's Peter Molyneux XD)?

This way you won't end-up being such an illiterate annoyance...( ﹁ ﹁ )

WESTBLADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WESTBLADE
@ghosts4ever said:

@jg4xchamp: When games like Mafia, Max payne, Deus Ex have such deep story. You cant say story doesnot matter in gsmes. It does.

Surprising to here that from the likes of you, then i recommend you to buy a PS4. One of the best story driven games are there.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghosts4ever

@WESTBLADE said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Surprising to here that from the likes of you, then i recommend you to buy a PS4. One of the best story driven games are there.

not a fan of third person cinematic movie games anyways.

WESTBLADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WESTBLADE

@ghosts4ever:

@ghosts4ever:

OK? So you just contradicted yourself, and actually that's NOT surprising to hear that from the likes of you...
( *︾▽︾)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever

@WESTBLADE said:

@ghosts4ever:

@ghosts4ever:

OK? So you just contradicted yourself, and actually that's NOT surprising to hear that from the likes of you...

( *︾▽︾)

Story driven FPS games. or some good story driven third person.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jg4xchamp

@ghosts4ever said:

@jg4xchamp: When games like Mafia, Max payne, Deus Ex have such deep story. Y

They don't, shut the **** up.

@WESTBLADE said:

@jg4xchamp: I'm pretty sure that @R4gn4r0k was talking about the scripted "gameplay footage" videos, that were suppossed to be well, gameplay footage. Here's a perfect example of another literal fraud, but not courtesy of Ubi:

BTW, what's wrong with a dev explaining new technology, game mechanics, etc. (unless it's Peter Molyneux XD)?

This way you won't end-up being such an illiterate annoyance...( ﹁ ﹁ )

I know what he meant, I clarified further, that they are in general for wastes. No one said they can't explain their technology, but guess what the trailers don't do that either or any of that. I'm a big fan of watching GDC stuff or proper dev interviews n docs, but when it's show a game time, I want the real deal. Namely with the core gameplay loop n everything.

WESTBLADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WESTBLADE

@ghosts4ever:

FPS as in First Person Shooter, or do you mean just first person games in general? If the latter, well, i'm sure we have a lot of them on PC... And as for the third person games tagged as "cinematic movie game"...That's really vague term and (ab)used in a bad way...

Three examples:

God of War (PS4) has both amazing story and gameplay with a shitload of stuff to do, yet it gets tagged as such (mostly by salty Xbox fanboys). I think it only applies when you literally rush through that game on easiest difficulty doing only "story missions" and ignoring the rest of the game, meaning all the sidequests, solving various puzzles / challenges (like setting free all the pissed off dragons that are trying to kill you, eventhough you are the one who wants set the free, lol) etc. I really loved for example when i found my very first of more or less challenging (depends on what char. level you currently are) hidden Valkyria sub-bosses leading to a really unexpected epic "main" Valkyria boss fight when you beat the previous ones and put their masks on their thrones in one specific area (i refuse to play using any sort of guides/walktroughs and avoid spoilers as much as possible, so i didn't see that coming).

IMO, the most annoying aspect was finding all of the "Odin's eyes" - i hate when you have to search for shitload of randomly placed, blink and you miss them "objects" scattered throughout the whole world...*** Well, at least they used a sound que when near one, so not that painful, especially with surround speakers.

Rise of the Tomb Raider (got the PC version, of course), is also labeled "cinematic movie game", yet i couldn't care less about it's story (mediocre at best and predictable as hell saw that "plot twist" coming from miles away, kind of like from the very beginning, lol ), but the gameplay itself was great - crafting your own weaponry and such was nice, enjoyed searching for all the hidden stuff (did not feel so bloated, more binded to player's memory then randomly placed "hey, i remember where is the next one in, and the other in was over near that area..." so it was fun) and although there were few of them, "riding the tombs" was fun.

The Order 1886 (PS4): Yup, that's literally the definition of "cinematic movie game". Although, i'm probably one of the very few people who had genuine fun with that game (though it cost me only ~15€ back in 2016 and had really low expectations due to all the hate it received. To be honest, for its initial 60€ price tag, i'd be pretty disappointed too).

***To be fair, that goes for most open world games, my most hated of all time was that infamous and purposely broken "chip" annoyance in NFS: Payback. Man that was such a pain in the ass achievement to get without any sort guides, but holyshit, i managed to do that! And no, i didn't buy that pathetic "show all the hidden stuff on map" or whatever is that "surprise mechanic" fraud called, because that's exactly why finding those "chips" was purposely broken to begin with...

EA and their shameless shady tactics at it's best, oh boy...

╰(‵□′)╯

Whoa, what a wall of text, but i hope you or someone at least bothered to read that, after all, i actually put some effort to type all of that... BTW, did you play A Plague Tale: Innocence?

(*>﹏<*)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k

@WESTBLADE: @jg4xchamp:

Heh, actually it's just the CGI trailers that I avoid. CGI trailers for games offer me nothing.

I do watch a lot of game trailers, but like I was saying: with Ubisoft ones I'm especially careful now. After too many rose tinted game trailer from them.

WESTBLADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WESTBLADE

@R4gn4r0k said:

Heh, actually it's just the CGI trailers that I avoid. CGI trailers for games offer me nothing.

I do watch a lot of game trailers, but like I was saying: with Ubisoft ones I'm especially careful now. After too many rose tinted game trailer from them.

CGI trailers? As in "captured in-engine" or downright pre-rendered? BTW, that Bioshock Infinite's "gameplay trailer" is not just scripted, but actually pre-rendered as well, just made to look like it's actually in-game - try to compare that to "final" product.

BTW, as a long-time member of GS, do you remember the often used SW term "bullshots"? Almost every company is using them in promo materials til this day, lol...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

@WESTBLADE said:

CGI trailers? As in "captured in-engine" or downright pre-rendered? BTW, that Bioshock Infinite's "gameplay trailer" is not just scripted, but actually pre-rendered as well, just made to look like it's actually in-game - try to compare that to "final" product.

BTW, as a long-time member of GS, do you remember the often used SW term "bullshots"? Almost every company is using them in promo materials til this day, lol...

Yeah, those are called 'vertical slices'. They are made alongside the actual development of the game.

Sometimes a vertical slice is exactly what you'll play. And sometimes they are not even in the least representative of the final game (Aliens: Colonial Marines comes to mind).

But the ones I find the most useless are the CGI 'cinematic trailers'

They show very little of what the game is actually about. And don't give the player much info on what to expect:

Loading Video...

WESTBLADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WESTBLADE

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah, those are called 'vertical slices'. They are made alongside the actual development of the game.

Sometimes a vertical slice is exactly what you'll play. And sometimes they are not even in the least representative of the final game (Aliens: Colonial Marines comes to mind).

But the ones I find the most useless are the CGI 'cinematic trailers'

They show very little of what the game is actually about. And don't give the player much info on what to expect:

Loading Video...

It's just that the word CGI (Computer Generated Image) is quite a tricky one, and can be applied on both real-time rendered graphics and pre-rendered graphics.

For example many of the cutscenes in, i don't know, let's say Gears of War 4 (PC/X1) or The Last of Us (on PS3 and that PS4 upsca... err... "Remaster") are pre-rendered, but to keep the graphics constency, they use the highest available or slightly touched up game assets (well, somewhat works on consoles, but it's almost impossible to pull it off on a half-decent PC, where a pre-rendered cutscene runs at way lower framerate/resolution, which ironically looks worse then the realtime gameplay itself - makes for a lot of cringe inducing moments for sure).

Completley pre-rendered is for example your everyday animated Pixar movie. That "ACO Cinematic Trailer", looking miles ahead of actual game and not sharing any of the game assets at all is obviously also completely pre-rendered. Oh, and that already mentioned Killzone 2 E3 fraud fits the exact same category as well...XD

P.S. You don't have to explain it to me what a "bullshot" is. It's just that i happened to remember that "term" (after seeing the mentioned old fake gameplay trailers), it used to be pretty common (i think it was slightly before 360/Wii/PS3 gen until X1&PS4 launch) word thrown left and right by fanboys and made for some hilarious to read posts...:) Yeah, Gamespot's SW forum used to be hilarious. Full of hilarious meltdowns, sick burns and hilarious comebacks. Now? Eh...:\

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vaeh

@R4gn4r0k: Watch Dogs had some good ideas but just didn’t pull them off in the most part.

Dishonored on the other hand is a masterpiece.

Coronavirus brings memories of rat plague and mask.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1309 Posts

Trailer: Original developers goal/ PC first

Release: Console parity/exclusive

WESTBLADE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WESTBLADE

@vaeh said:
...rat plague...

Hey! I was just recommending to someone A Plague Tale: Innocence as an awesome story driven game...

Now you've got me thinking... was it a bad timing? XD

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vaeh

@WESTBLADE: What a timing! A Plague Tale, Watch Dogs, Dishonored..... all three are French games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k

@vaeh: I love the Corvo mask. Bought the Dishonored 2 collectors edition as soon as it was announced. It came with the mask.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vaeh

I know Dishonored is your weakness :P

@R4gn4r0k said:

Dishonored trailer was one of the best things I've seen at an E3 show, and it got me very hyped for the game.

Thus the greatest game of all time was born. Put Arkane on the map as one of the best in the biz.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3150 Posts

I don't think you could pay me to play watch dogs again. So terribad.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vaeh

Well, this is the perfect companion for Steam players of The Stanley Parable trying to get the Go Outside achievement (not playing the game for 5 years) - now you can play it on EGS while working on the Steam achievement.

@dxmcat said:

I don't think you could pay me to play watch dogs again. So terribad.

Damn, that's bad... the decline of Ubisoft.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7047 Posts

I think I'm going to replay Dishonoured this week on my new OLED... Looks like a game that will look stunning with OLED black levels.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jg4xchamp

@R4gn4r0k said:

all trailers boyo, all trailers.

Ubisoft also because the gameplay in their games is never up to snuff. Rainbow Six Siege is a fluke.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 23801 Posts

Watch Dogs was a very good game, albeit I get that many are sick to death of the Ubi open world "template".

If you hyped yourself up for Game Of The Generation and got let down by the perfectly enjoyable end result, that's your own fault ;)

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 locopatho
@getyeryayasout said:
@freedomfreak said:

Is WD2 actually good? I see it go on sale pretty often, but after playing the first game, I had no interest.

Watch Dogs 2 is fantastic. Virtually nothing to do with the first one, completely different in tone (bright and colourful and wacky rather than serious) and gameplay (much more focus on hacking and stealth solutions, I beat the entire game without firing a weapon or killing anyone), with lots of fun characters and stylish touches.

Really recommend it.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 getyeryayasout

@locopatho: Cool, I'll have to jump on it next time it goes on sale. Thanks.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 locopatho

@getyeryayasout: No problem, always trying to get more people to play it :)

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 3856 Posts

Rented Watch Dogs 2 and there is a ton of content, but what I didn't like about it was shit always flashing on the screen every other second, showing you social media updates and beeps and alerts enough to make you go in to seizures.

It's clearly made for a younger, always plugged in crowd, when you see the cast of characters and music etc.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 4220 Posts

WD2 was pretty cool

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 599 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:
@jg4xchamp said:

whats funny was they made it look really close to it and not only that it was in 3d when the 3d tvs came out and yet everyone down played the game for what it was.

same could be said about crackdown 3 this gen. funny how xbox fans fell for that one aswell.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1056 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

It's not enough for them to maintain exclusivity on games from customers, now they have to take away industry tools from developers.

"Oh, you want to make a game with mocap? Well, you better use our service and, by the way, you have to be a lifelong exclusive on the Epic Store if you want access to it"

This is actually a scumbag move that is lost among "I have to download not Steam! Nuuu!!!1!!1"

@ghosts4ever said:

They aren't the best selling though. Games like Tetris, Minecraft, Candy Crush, Mario, Fortnite, etc., are some of the best selling games. Yes they have lore, but they don't really have a cinematic story that you play through, and it isn't the focus.

@WESTBLADE said:

@ghosts4ever:

@ghosts4ever:

( *︾▽︾)

Makes sense if he's a PC fan, especially if he uses Steam. Steam fans are the biggest joke this generation. Claim to be above console wars, but EGS proved that to be a lie. It's why it's so fun to troll them. They fall for it all the time too. Like calling me an EGS shill when I don't even have a PC. lol.