E3 cancelled... Stick a fork in it. It's dead.

• 66 results
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2022-has-been-canceled-including-its-digital-only-component/1100-6502074/

GameSpot reporting... Seems as though the show will not be going on this year in any capacity....

The statement continues: "We previously announced that E3 would not be held in person in 2022 due to the ongoing health risks surrounding COVID-19. Today, we announce that there will also be no digital E3 showcase in 2022. Instead, we will devote all our energy and resources to delivering a revitalized physical and digital E3 experience next summer. Whether enjoyed from the show floor or your favorite devices, the 2023 showcase will bring the community, media, and industry back together in an all-new format and interactive experience."

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

That's fine ... if the old formula is not working anymore, maybe trying to do something different will work for them. If not, at least they tried it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

They won't be back next summer.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts

@Zero_epyon: you think it's dead, dead?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12944 Posts
@Zero_epyon said:

Agreed. Seems that Covid showed them what they need to see all along. The trend was downward for the event from what I could tell.

I wonder if they will ever eliminate CES? Granted that is hardware vs. software and more tangible.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38813 Posts

What i want to see is what the hell am i getting on my ps5 outside of GOW2? I can't even think of a single other relevant game.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#7 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

An inevitability. I have relentlessly called it an obsolete relic of the 90s that's destined to die many times, but I never had any ill will towards E3. It was just a cold statement of fact. I am neither sad nor happy that I am proven right; just a quiet acceptance. I have already absorbed this eventuality a long time ago, and have been prepared to move on for many years.

End of an era. Nothing to do but cherish the memories and move on.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

its over for e3 they had a good run for awhile but its all over just shut it down

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12944 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

What i want to see is what the hell am i getting on my ps5 outside of GOW2? I can't even think of a single other relevant game.

Stray, Goodbye Volcano High, Little Devil Inside?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

That’s disappointing to hear. I really hope that it comes back bigger and better then ever next year.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hardwenzen

@x_hedon said:
@hardwenzen said:

Stray, Goodbye Volcano High, Little Devil Inside?

Goodbye Volcano Hight is absolutely incredible, and i feel bad for forgetting about such a relevant title.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46238 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

That’s disappointing to hear. I really hope that it comes back bigger and better then ever next year.

Yeah same here, I really liked E3 and there was just so much to take in (videos, previews, articles) over such a short span of time.

I just really always liked it, even the bad parts gave us some of the best memes. My favourite was translator guy or giant enemy crab.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

Will EA and Ubishit have their own shows? What am i gonna do without all the cringe?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371

@R4gn4r0k: Same here. I just really enjoyed the whole spectacle of it all. The live crowd reactions and all the trailers and videos of games that would come out for a week straight.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46238 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

@R4gn4r0k: Same here. I just really enjoyed the whole spectacle of it all. The live crowd reactions and all the trailers and videos of games that would come out for a week straight.

I'll never forget the lines the new Zelda games used to draw. These are just some things a digital event will never replicate.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#16  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Let's not kid ourselves, the ESA might try to bring back E3 next year, but this is just about a near-fatal blow. It's now lying in medically induced coma with little hope of recovery, and the doctors are already advising the family to pull the plug.

Why? Because this announcement is an open season to all the publishers and competitors, who have long been flirting with life without E3 for years. This is the first year they get to put all of their plans into full practice, and I have no doubt they will be successful. They will not feel E3's absence.

Already IGN and Geoff Keighley have both confirmed their own events in the wake of this announcement. I'm not going to absolutely say E3 is 100% done, because nothing is ever 100%. However, I will say it will take nothing short of a miracle to save E3.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

This sucks. I really be looking forward to all of the new trailers and announcements. I guess we'll get our gaming news in a slow trickle or on social media like we've been doing.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

It's dead, dead.

For those of us old enough, e3 died several years ago when it went to "industry only" status. Then they tried to bring it back to the public, but it was so watered down that no one cared.

Then e3 jacked up the costs on vendors to the point where no one wanted to go - see Nintendo on that.

The only way for it to work would be for it to be one part show (like the game awards), one part fan fest (like comic-con) and one part tech and presentations.

It's unfortunate because June was often the month of unveilings due to e3. Not to say it won't continue to happen, but there is something about having that window of time where everyone in the industry knows the world is watching all at once.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371

@R4gn4r0k: Yeah, digital events can be fun and all but they just don’t hold a candle to live crowds and reactions. Peter Moore revealing a GTA tattoo, Shigeru Miyamoto coming out on stage with Link’s Sword and Shield, Keanu Reeves coming out on stage after being revealed in Cyberpunk 2077, etc. Those are moments that become iconic and remain in people’s memories. Digital events just aren’t the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@TheEroica said:

It’s dead dead. You could get execs to needlessly shell out tens of thousands in cash because it was a fun excuse to meet up with industry friends and get hammered. Once they let the public in, it was no longer worth even doing. Gamers are too loud, annoying and smelly.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@TheEroica: yes I think it’s dead, dead. Even if they’re really honest about trying to come back next year, they’ll soon realize that nobody is going to be interested in showing up. The big three will likely get into their own groove and some of the big PC players are now owned by MS. They’re all better off just trickling their announcements throughout the year. It seems to be working fine so far.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Agreed. It seems like once Sony jumped ship the writing was on the wall, and COVID was the coup de grace. I'm a much bigger fan of giving me news when you have something to show anyway, instead of having to force themselves and tailor lies for an annual event

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

NoOoOoOoOo!!

Sad news, but not unexpected. Lot of great memories, but nothing lasts forever. Pour some out for E3...

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

Such a shame, but not excactly surprising l:/

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69428 Posts

I enjoyed E3 for it being a timed and predictable event over the random and sporadic announcements that comes with the other mini shows.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Don't worry real gamers,Xbox will still have a 1 hour 30 minute June event showing off huge AAA titles.

And for the Sony fanboys tuning into the event,some tit playing a flute 🤣

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4220 Posts

@simple-facts: lol. Sheep like myself also have nintendo treehouse and other decimal events. I’m not concerned.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

e3 was dying prior to Covid now it is officially done.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Seems kind of lame. Lot's of things are opening up, I think we've learned to live with COVID at this point. It's easy to have things open these days, especially with proof of vaccination.

I think maybe they realized E3 just wasn't worth it.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

A gaming convention like E3, like all conventions, is more than hearing the latest news and announcements. It is a place where people working in the industry meet in-person and share ideas: a marketplace of ideas. A digital event betrays what E3 is supposed to be (a trade show), but it has become a multi-day informercial.

Either the ESA return E3 back to its original purprose as a trade convention or just discontinue it altogether.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#31 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69428 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Seems kind of lame. Lot's of things are opening up, I think we've learned to live with COVID at this point. It's easy to have things open these days, especially with proof of vaccination.

I think they ran into the problem of not enough participants which would undermine the perceive value of the event, thus cancelling.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts
@TheEroica said:

I don't know if you know this or heard but Geoff Keighley is hosting his own E3 version of Summer Game Fest this year and even he stated this will be similar to E3 hence is why having E3 if something like Summer Game Fest is doing? That said, Summer Game Fest is pretty much the only gaming event we're gonna have to look forward to.

Edit: Back in 2019, (1yr before covid-19) you can already tell E3 was dead in the waters and just about every publisher did their own show to save money. Setting up a press/conference at E3 was helluva expensive so yeah. E3 itself only matters to the people who could physically go and try out the demos. For others, 99.9999% of the world the companies just doing their own stream is just as good if not better. Streaming was a mistake and Nintendo knew it too...which is why they stop attending E3 long ago.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#33 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I remember Adam Sessler berating Nintendo for this decision, while Tom McShea defended it during his Gamespot days.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I think they ran into the problem of not enough participants which would undermine the perceive value of the event, thus cancelling.

Assuming you mean like professional participants, like vendors and publishers and such? Yeah that makes sense. I wonder if the online E3 thing they did was a mistake, maybe publishers realized they can just do it on their own.

The question I have now is I wonder if they (publishers) will sort of hold their own events around the same time of year, and we'll get a sort of unofficial E3 "season" for a week or two each year where they'll hold online events and announce stuff.

I was never a fan of E3 as I am not an industry professional and it always seemed like a lot of hype and circle jerking, but it was nice seeing some of the big reveals. I wouldn't want that to go away entirely.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator

@nintendoboy16 said:

I remember Adam Sessler berating Nintendo for this decision, while Tom McShea defended it during his Gamespot days.

I mean, nobody couldn't foreseen how streaming was gonna change the world, even YouTube I didn't consider it would become the next big ting for what streaming can do. Nintendo made the right choice but that choice goes to Iwata.

Look at what G4TV that's trying to be relevant and that didn't last long. G4TV was only good when we didn't have streaming (or YouTube yet) back than and trying to come back now isn't helping its case.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1005 Posts

I guess it doesn't matter as far as video games go. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo can make their own conferences.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts
@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

The booth prices got real high. And the public being in attendance meant more “secret” stuff had to be pushed behind closed doors. And I’m telling y’all, industry folks HATED the public being there. There’s tweets all over the place of industry folks bitching at the announcement of the public having access. It made the presses job much tougher too, so many of them stopped going. Covid is just a semi-excuse at this point. Especially with the semi recent revelations that I’m not gonna discuss here. Just Google “ More than half of people may have been immune to Covid all along.”#tcells (I work in healthcare. I’m not some conspiracy nut, Joe Rogan fan FYI)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yeah I'll be surprised if they are back next year. If they are, I have a feeling it will be pretty forced - "don't call it a comeback, folks!"

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

@goldenelementxl: Having the general public at E3 defeats its purpose. It is supposed to be a trade show and trade shows are often not open to the public.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

I miss the old days of e3 just fellt like a special 3-4 days for video games like the superbowl of video games but with todays 24/7 news its not really need and the last real e3 was 2018. Last years e3 was beyond pathetic and 2020 we didnt get one because of covid and 2019 was terrible.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

Really is sad that e3 has died it and Tokyo game show both used to be big and Tokyo game show basically died like 10 years ago took like 5 years longer than that for e3 to die.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#43 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Not sure why "health concerns" would kill E3 when it's practically a footnote these days. Then again, to be fair, I'm sure a lot of the "San Francisco" and "California-esque" video game "journalists" are still probably scared to death of the rona. lol

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

E3 wasnt the same without playstation. I really enjoyed that week. A week full of game conferences and games coverage. Hell it was cuz of e3 magazine coverage that i discovered god of war and other ps2 games.

wish i couldve attended it while it was still prime.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

Don't worry my fellow gamers, my boy Geoff got this cover:

He's banking on this hard😅

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Well... that sucks. I hope they do make a comeback. I like seeing a lot of game announcements in one big show MUCH more than seeing these little 5-10 minute single game spotlights.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#47 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58902 Posts

Gotta admit, do enjoy the cringe and corporate fuckos pretending not to be lizard men.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

@hardwenzen: you already bought one? Oh you sweet summer child. I think I won't even get the original and just wait for a revision of the hardware . Hell if they release it gow2 on PC in a manageable time frame I think i might sit this one out.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7150 Posts

so much for starfield gameplay being shown.

now its wait for summer game fest.

then it will be wait for e3 2023.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7150 Posts
@rogerjak said:

@hardwenzen: you already bought one? Oh you sweet summer child. I think I won't even get the original and just wait for a revision of the hardware . Hell if they release it gow2 on PC in a manageable time frame I think i might sit this one out.

revision? they can't even make enough of the original.

ps5 is a great system as is. its quiet and runs smooth. one of the smoothest consoles I ever owned.

your going to be waiting until 2024 or more for a ps5 pro.

unless they make a series s type model that is weaker and more slim.

I think even revision from xbox will be later than it normally be.