Dyad Creator Calls Linear Stories in Games Worthless, Mass Effect Horrible

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -
The Walking Dead was a slight offender in the "yeah, the choices were pretty much just cosmetic" category, as well. Somehow I didn't really care about that, though.
#52 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="enterawesome"] But the Elcor... :(enterawesome
Okay, Elcor are cool, I'll give you that one. But being cool in Mass Effect means you get relegated to a supporting role and get to do f*ck all for the entire series.

Yeah the Elcor were kind of a missed opportunity but in all seriousness I really can't help but be impressed by the fiction of ME. I do think it got a little dumb after Mass Effect 1 but at least in that first game they had something pretty unique going on. I can't think of any science fiction property that had so much depth in it's first installment, not just in games. Obviously some stuff like Greg Bear's work and BSG wipe the floor with it, but ME1 had a raw energy to it, and a lot of grime. Not grime in the Star Wars sense of "Everything looks like sh*tty plastic models" but in a very literal, f*cked up way. ME1 just didn't mess around. Plus the Reapers and Protheans were a MILLION times cooler when we knew way less about them. I think ME2 and 3 got caught up in a lot of pandering to stupid fans, and the tonally the whole franchise took a step down. Basically the series got really corny. But even so I think a lot of the lore remained intact and I still enjoyed reading stuff in the codex in ME3.

True on all accounts. I don't think anyone will deny that ME1 had the best story. Or the best villain (Sovereign was f*cking cool, and actually scary to boot. Harbinger was a b!tch), or the best representation of the universe. Or the best... well, sh!t, the best everything not directly game-related, really.
#53 Posted by Slow_Show (2018 posts) -

You'd best not be referring to me, Slow_Bro.DarkLink77

Not specifically or maliciously or anything, BroLink, I've just never heard a good enough explanation to justify sh*t like "The science fiction in Mass Effect is not something I would consider even passable for a high school paper.".

#54 Posted by Lulekani (2318 posts) -
Maybe he's right. . . . . But thats not the point, he's an obnoxious critic and therefore is wrong by default.
#56 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] You'd best not be referring to me, Slow_Bro.Slow_Show

Not specifically or maliciously or anything, BroLink, I've just never heard a good enough explanation to justify sh*t like "The science fiction in Mass Effect is not something I would consider even passable for a high school paper.".

Well, yeah, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I'd say it's the kind of sh!t you'd see in creative writing workshops as an undergrad if professors actually let people write sci-fi in that way, though BioWare's writers have a better understanding of character than most undergrads do. It just that it takes them a while to get around to the whole "character development" thing with most of them.
#57 Posted by USS_Data (543 posts) -

He lost me when he said Mass Effect is horrible.

The_Game21x

That''s because you have horrible taste in games. Anyone with even a tiny bit of taste for a decent story knows ME is trash.

#58 Posted by enterawesome (9477 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

USS_Data

That''s because you have horrible taste in games. Anyone with even a tiny bit of taste for a decent story knows ME is trash.

So much hyperbole...
#59 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="Slow_Show"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] You'd best not be referring to me, Slow_Bro.seanmcloughlin

Explain any one part of Mass effect's science fiction which is original and not found in any other science fiction media

Eh.... In some ways, that's kind of a bogus criticism. I level it at BioWare a lot, but there's really on three stories in the world, and everything is some variation of one of them. That said, BioWare straight up steals from a lot of stuff, and doesn't do a lot to make those concepts their own.
#60 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -
[QUOTE="USS_Data"]

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

enterawesome

So much hyperbole...

Moderation in arguments about video games? Don't be silly.
#61 Posted by The_Game21x (26362 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

DarkLink77

Of course he did. Because you like horrible stories. Like Mass Effect and Halo 4.

:lol: at saying Mass Effect's story is horrible.

And where did I say I liked Halo 4's story?

#62 Posted by The_Game21x (26362 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

USS_Data

Go away troll.

#63 Posted by freedomfreak (49979 posts) -
Is anyone actually allowed to like Mass Effect these days?
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#64 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Slow_Show"]

DarkLink77

Explain any one part of Mass effect's science fiction which is original and not found in any other science fiction media

Eh.... In some ways, that's kind of a bogus criticism. I level it at BioWare a lot, but there's really on three stories in the world, and everything is some variation of one of them. That said, BioWare straight up steals from a lot of stuff, and doesn't do a lot to make those concepts their own.

Yeah when I read it back I realised so I deleted the comment :P

#65 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

The_Game21x

Of course he did. Because you like horrible stories. Like Mass Effect and Halo 4.

Um... it kind of is. Even by vidja game standards. Brocast. That I was not invited to, even though y'all quoted me like twice. Why no love?
#66 Posted by The_Game21x (26362 posts) -

Is anyone actually allowed to like Mass Effect these days?freedomfreak

Not on this forum.

But I couldn't care less what the Mass Effect Hate Brigade thinks on the matter to be honest.

#67 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

I like it and enjoyed my time playing it. Doesn't mean I don't see the problems the game has

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
#68 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

no!

#69 Posted by The_Game21x (26362 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Of course he did. Because you like horrible stories. Like Mass Effect and Halo 4.DarkLink77

Um... it kind of is. Even by vidja game standards. Brocast. That I was not invited to, even though y'all quoted me like twice. Why no love?

Elaborate then.

And I didn't say I liked the story, I said I liked what 343 was doing in making better characters out of the MC and Cortana.

#70 Posted by freedomfreak (49979 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Is anyone actually allowed to like Mass Effect these days?seanmcloughlin

I like it and enjoyed my time playing it. Doesn't mean I don't see the problems the game has

I get that. But the jumping on people that liked its story and such.. I mean, c'mon.
#71 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
so because something isn't possible in games it shouldn't be attempted despite millions of people enjoying it and it being praised by critics? and that somehow makes stories bad because you can create full alternate universes based on your decisions? ... yeah I don't know what this guys expects out of his games, but if this is the reason why mass effect 'sucks' for him then I sugest he finds a different hobby
#72 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

I can't take criticisms that are complete hyperbole seriously. He has a point somwhere in his little fanboyish rage

#73 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="The_Game21x"]:lol: at saying Mass Effect's story is horrible.

The_Game21x

Elaborate then.

And I didn't say I liked the story, I said I liked what 343 was doing in making better characters out of the MC and Cortana.

I really don't feel like going into this for the 300th time. :P They didn't make the Chief a better character, though. And Cortana was pretty much the same. For serious, though, y no love? I'd love to do that if you guys need another dude. I told Champ that a while back, but scheduling conflict and all. :P
#74 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -
meh, another elitest indie dev talking crap about games better than his.
#75 Posted by The_Game21x (26362 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Um... it kind of is. Even by vidja game standards. Brocast. That I was not invited to, even though y'all quoted me like twice. Why no love?DarkLink77

Elaborate then.

I really don't feel like going into this for the 300th time. :P They didn't make the Chief a better character, though. And Cortana was pretty much the same. For serious, though, y no love? I'd love to do that if you guys need another dude. I told Champ that a while back, but scheduling conflict and all. :P

I disagree on the subject of Halo 4.

And as far as the Brocast thing, that's Champ's call. You gotta talk to him.

#76 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
meh, another elitest indie dev talking crap about games better than his.mems_1224
I wouldn't mind that if his cricisms actually made sense, he's basically complaining that Mass Effect isn't an alternate universe simulator
#77 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I liked the first one. Then was unable to play it after playing 2/3. Then I finished 3 and lost all interest in the series. *shrugs* I'll still remember planetary exploration in the Mako fondly.
#78 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

On one hand I don't really care in the slightest because I still had fun with the game, the story, and the lore.

On the other hand, I'm hungry.

#79 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Is anyone actually allowed to like Mass Effect these days?Zeviander
I liked the first one. Then was unable to play it after playing 2/3. Then I finished 3 and lost all interest in the series. *shrugs* I'll still remember planetary exploration in the Mako fondly.

Yeah 1 is the best IMO.

#80 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Is anyone actually allowed to like Mass Effect these days?freedomfreak

I get that. But the jumping on people that liked its story and such.. I mean, c'mon.

You can like the story. But to say it's actually good story telling is why people jump. And people jump in the other direction too if you say you don't like it, example texasgoldrush. He tells people they're toos tupid to understand or "get it".

#81 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

Elaborate then.

The_Game21x

No sh!t.:P

I dunno. Cortana was more or less the same aside from 343's stupidity with the character and lore gaffs, and the Chief sounded like an idiot when he said things like, "These Covenant seem more fanatical than the ones we've fought before."

Really, Chief? Why? Because they're shooting at us, like all the Covenant have before?Because the Grunts don't speak English? Because they're wearing slightly different armor?Seriously, what is your reasoning here?

Such a stupid line of dialogue.

#82 Posted by freedomfreak (49979 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

You can like the story. But to say it's actually good story telling is why people jump. And people jump in the other direction too if you say you don't like it, example texasgoldrush. He tells people they're toos tupid to understand or "get it".

That's true, but it really pales in comparison.
#83 Posted by Advocate918 (25 posts) -

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]The lore in Mass Effect is not horrible. It simply isn't. Say what you will about issues regarding choice and consequence, but the fiction is massively impressive and not just as a game.DarkLink77
Mass Effect has a nerd-fantasy race of hot blue lesbians that want to f*ck everything else in the galaxy. /argument

You just explained why it's so awesome.

#84 Posted by The_Game21x (26362 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I really don't feel like going into this for the 300th time. :P They didn't make the Chief a better character, though. And Cortana was pretty much the same. For serious, though, y no love? I'd love to do that if you guys need another dude. I told Champ that a while back, but scheduling conflict and all. :PDarkLink77

I dunno. Cortana was more or less the same aside from 343's stupidity with the character and lore gaffs, and the Chief sounded like an idiot when he said things like, "These Covenant seem more fanatical than the ones we've fought before."

Really, Chief? Why? Because they're shooting at us, like all the Covenant have before?Because the Grunts don't speak English? Because they're wearing slightly different armor?Seriously, what is your reasoning here?

I think that was just 343's (poor) way of hinting that these new Covenant are the fanatics/heretics from Halo 2.

Possibly. Like I said, it was poorly done.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
#85 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Why is the swearing and using insultive language towards someone elses work, that alone discredits anything he has to say in my view

#86 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="enterawesome"]The lore in Mass Effect is not horrible. It simply isn't. Say what you will about issues regarding choice and consequence, but the fiction is massively impressive and not just as a game.Advocate918

Mass Effect has a nerd-fantasy race of hot blue lesbians that want to f*ck everything else in the galaxy. /argument

You just explained why it's so awesome.

Deantapping.gif

#87 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I really don't feel like going into this for the 300th time. :P They didn't make the Chief a better character, though. And Cortana was pretty much the same. For serious, though, y no love? I'd love to do that if you guys need another dude. I told Champ that a while back, but scheduling conflict and all. :PDarkLink77

OOC: Did you watch Halo: Forward Unto Dawn?

#88 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

The_Game21x

I think that was just 343's (poor) way of hinting that these new Covenant are the fanatics/heretics from Halo 2.

I'm guessing, but there's no way for the player to see that in-game, so I was all... "Are you serious." :| Did you catch the huge Cortana lore-gaff, btw?
#89 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

Goyoshi12

Nope. Previews were super cheesy.

#90 Posted by enterawesome (9477 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] No sh!t.:P

DarkLink77

I'm guessing, but there's no way for the player to see that in-game, so I was all... "Are you serious." :| Did you catch the huge Cortana lore-gaff, btw?

I didn't, explain.

#91 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

DarkLink77

Nope. Preview were super cheesy.

Hmmm, some people I've heard say that the episodes actually HELP the story of Halo 4 and explain unexplained things.

I don't know if that's true or not and even if it is that's rather stupid to separate out the stories especially if one can help the other but might want to take a look at it if it can help.

#92 Posted by The_Game21x (26362 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

DarkLink77

Yeah...

[spoiler] If you're talking about the "only AI created from human tissue" gaffe, there are conflicting reports saying that's canon. But Bungie already confused things by saying they found Cortana on Reach but it wasn't actually Cortana just an earlier version that was merged with the Cortana on the Pillar of Autumn or some other dumb stupid s**t that made no sense. [/spoiler]

#93 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

enterawesome

I didn't, explain.

[spoiler] The bit where she's going about how they'll probably just give the Chief another Cortana model AI, which is impossible because

1. AI's don't work that way in Halo. There are no models, AIs are unqiue and each chooses their own personality/appearance.

2. She was created from a scan of Halsey's brain, very hard to recreate.

3. There was another AI before Cortana created from a scan of Halsey's brain, and that AI was completely different.

So either Cortana is so rampant by this point that she's forgotten the basics of AIs work (unlikely, because she's not that rampant at that point), or 343 f*cked up and completely forgot Halo AI. I'm guessing it was the latter.

[/spoiler]

#94 Posted by Advocate918 (25 posts) -

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

He said that that type of storytelling isn't technically feasible (it's actually impossible to program a big game that regularly gives you meaningful story choices on a large scale), so there was no point in pursuing it.

DarkLink77

He does raise a very interesting point, however I'm not sure I fully agree with him. Yes, he's correct that it is impossible to program a game where your choices totally matter. But we can approximate fairly well. For example, Fallout 1 may not have fit the impossible ideal he described, but it sure as hell felt like it. And that's really what counts. It's the suspension of disbelief factor: if the game can trick you into forgetting the real world, I'd say good enough!

But he does raise fair criticisms about game storytelling though. I agree with him that devs spend too much time trying to mold you into their character as opposed to having your character write themselves. But I don't believe that having a predetermined character to play as is at all an inherently bad thing like he does.

Overall, interesting article. Good find!

True. But when everything comes down to, "Press the red, blue, or green button" no matter what you did, there's a problem somewhere. Also, true. I think both can work fine, and I'm not totally against a purely linear story in games. But he makes a point against the half-assed "choose your own adventure but not really" story we get nowadays. Thanks, brah.

I like the Mass Effect series AND I think you're making good points. I understood the limitations from the get-go, and just went with it. I still prefer really simple choices that lead to a slight variation than being led by the nose through a sequence of events to a single forgone conclusion.

Liking Mass Effect and enjoying the story for what it is isn't inconsistent with any of the points being made by you and the article.

#95 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

The_Game21x

Yeah...

[spoiler] If you're talking about the "only AI created from human tissue" gaffe, there are conflicting reports saying that's canon. But Bungie already confused things by saying they found Cortana on Reach but it wasn't actually Cortana just an earlier version that was merged with the Cortana on the Pillar of Autumn or some other dumb stupid s**t that made no sense. [/spoiler]

Bungie's excuse is simple.

Cortana split herself into two subroutines. One goes with the Chief to do his thing, another stays with Halsey to help her do her research.Once Six brings the other half to the Pillar of Autumn, they merge again.

But yeah, the gaffe in Halo 4 is still a surprising f*ck up from a studio that are, by all appearances, slaves to Halo's EU.

#96 Posted by enterawesome (9477 posts) -

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I'm guessing, but there's no way for the player to see that in-game, so I was all... "Are you serious." :| Did you catch the huge Cortana lore-gaff, btw?DarkLink77

I didn't, explain.

[spoiler] The bit where she's going about how they'll probably just give the Chief another Cortana model AI, which is impossible because

1. AI's don't work that way in Halo. There are no models, AIs are unqiue and each chooses their own personality/appearance.

3. There was another AI before Cortana created from a scan of Halsey's brain, and that AI was completely different.

So either Cortana is so rampant by this point that she's forgotten the basics of AIs work (unlikely, because she's not that rampant at that point), or 343 f*cked up and completely forgot Halo AI. I'm guessing it was the latter.

[/spoiler]

Oh I didn't catch that. There's a lot of... weird stuff about Halo 4's campaign. [spoiler] They never seem to acknowledge the awakening of the Didact and his subsequent rampage is entirely Chief and Cortana's fault, and by extension so is the war that will inevitably ensue in the next two games. :? [/spoiler]
#97 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

These Supernatural GIF's are becoming tedious

#98 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="enterawesome"] I didn't, explain.

enterawesome

[/spoiler]

Oh I didn't catch that. There's a lot of... weird stuff about Halo 4's campaign. [spoiler] They never seem to acknowledge the awakening of the Didact and his subsequent rampage is entirely Chief and Cortana's fault, and by extension so is the war that will inevitably ensue in the next two games. :? [/spoiler]

[spoiler] There's also the fact that for the story to make sense, you have to accept that everyone in the story is an idiot. Except Del Rio, who actually makes the right call by putting the safety of his ship and crew over the ramblings of a rampant AI and a disobedient Spartan. Which of course gets him relieved of command, and gets his XO promoted. Because that's how the military works. :roll: [/spoiler]
#99 Posted by The_Game21x (26362 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="enterawesome"] I didn't, explain.

enterawesome

[/spoiler]

I'm sure what the UNSC doesn't know won't hurt them.

Well...

[spoiler] him... [/spoiler]

#100 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

These Supernatural GIF's are becoming tedious

OB-47

The-Dean-Winchester-Single-Tear-in-When-