Dyad Creator Calls Linear Stories in Games Worthless, Mass Effect Horrible

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

If it's old, sorry, but I ain't seen it.

The Story:

The folks at Dork Shelfcaught up with the sole creator of Dyad, Shawn McGrath, after his Gamercamp keynote speech, who proceeded to discuss his opinion on linear stories in video games:

I think linear story and interactive anything are completely diametrically opposed. They make no sense together at all, and any attempt to put storylines in games, in any traditional sense, is completely idiotic.

Mass Effect attempted it, and people praise it. Its horrible. Its horrible because the choices that you make are so meaningless and people say, Oh, but its getting to a point where the whole galaxy is going to change based on your decisions, and I say, no, thats impossible, thats an N-P hard problem, thats a computer science problem where that problem is not computable.

So attempting that is a worthless endeavor. Games are really f*cking awesome. We can tell stories through entirely interactive ways, with no text.
When asked about stories with branching paths, or choose-your-own adventure games, he said:Thats my point, is that its impossible to ever get it to be truly there. Its absolutely impossible. Its an incomputable problem. It is infinitely complex, it cannot be solved if things get to a large scale, which is what games likeMass Effectare trying to do.

In Mass Effect, you make a couple of choices and some little things change, but theyre pretty meaningless and dont matter. Some of them are like, oh, this guy died. And youre like, Aw. But its pretty inconsequential. The Reapers are coming, the bad stuffs happening, it doesnt matter. That hasnt changed. You cannot change that in Mass Effect.

When the interviewer countered his point by stating that the stories in individual missions, such as Lair of the Shadow Broker, can change dramatially based on player actions, he responded:

Right, but this is busy work. I dont know why they did that, probably to extend the game to get it a higher Metacritic score or something so you can play it for 70 hours instead of 30.

When asked about the value of Mass Effect's story, he said:

Oh, its just a waste of time. Ive read a lot of science fiction. The science fiction in Mass Effect is not something I would consider even passable for a high school paper. Its horrible. But if you put in a game then its praised for being so great. Its especially so because in the context of video games, stories are f****** awful.
Benjamin Rivers Home does it on a very limited, very small scale and it works. It only works, though, because its so small. And that game has, like, 15,000 branching pieces of dialogue, and its incredibly small. If that was any larger, the amount of dialogue and content that needs to be written goes exponentially higher and it still has an authorial voice, and its still contrived because its created by someone else and not by the player, therefore I dont think it has any purpose.

________

Hit the jump for everything.

Later in the interview, he goes on to praise the storytelling in Dark Souls.It's an interesting read, at the very least.

So do you agree with his opinion on stories in game? Do you think he's right about choose your own adventure stuff being worthless?

I kind of do. Tech is limited, and at best, you're given the illusion of choice that's ultimately broken down in very simple ways. Hell, look at Mass Effect. In Mass Effect 3, pretty much all of your choices come down to "Who lives, and who dies" until the very end.Everything else is assigned a number and really doesn't matter.

Now games like The Witcher 2 are a different story, but about a third of the game changes depending on a choice you make. So that's pretty crazy, and most developers don't have the chops to pull something like that off.

So, ultimately, is it a waste of time? Should the industry be putting player-authored stories first, and examine what the medium is really capable of? Is Mass EFfect's sci-fi "horrible," and only praised because the standards for video game stories are so low (hint: the answer is yes).

Sound off, System Warriors.

#2 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
inb4 "we just don't get it" *applause* for the guy though. Saying sh!t most developers would be scared to say.
#3 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -
inb4 "we just don't get it"Zeviander
I lol'd.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
#4 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4226 posts) -

Sounds like a total elitist cvnt to be honest. And I don't agree, stories can be done successfully in any form in video games, just saying Mass Effect's story sucks doesn't make it fact, and he didn't even really back up his opinion well at all.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
#5 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

He likes Dark Souls, hates Mass Effect. Sounds like an alright dude to me!

#6 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

*applause* for the guy though. Saying sh!t most developers would be scared to say.Zeviander

That seems to be common thing for indie developers.

Remember when Phil Fish said all Japanese games suck? Arrogant bastard.

#7 Posted by zassimick (10334 posts) -

I don't agree on his stance on stories in video games and I don't agree that choose your own adventures are worthless.

The developers had a story to tell first and foremost and it's moronic to think that there will be an infinite amount of reprucussions for your actions. Are there problems with the current state of stories in games? Yes. The industry is still young though and still learning the ways and, to be honest, I see a lot of similarities between the video game industry and musicals (Broadway) and that industry.

Of course stories are stronger in books or films because a story is a strong part of those mediums, and to be honest it's the thought that stories don't belong in video games that is holding the industry back. Why limit ourselves? Where does that get us?

#8 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

Sounds like a total elitist cvnt to be honest. And I don't agree, stories can be done successfully in any form in video games, just saying Mass Effect's story sucks doesn't make it fact, and he didn't even really back up his opinion well at all.

Jolt_counter119

He did, actually.

He said that that type of storytelling isn't technically feasible (it's actually impossible to program a big game that regularly gives you meaningful story choices), so there was no point in pursuing it.

#9 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4226 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

DarkLink77

He did, actually.

He said that that type of storytelling isn't technically feasible (it's actually impossible to program a big game that regularly gives you meaningful story choices on a large scale), so there was no point in pursuing it.

And that makes it bad how???

#10 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

Jolt_counter119
i agree with this.
#11 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[...] just saying Mass Effect's story sucks doesn't make it fact [...]Jolt_counter119
But it does suck when compared to any other form of storytelling media. And even as a game it doesn't do anything special. Just very run-of-the-mill.
#12 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Jolt_counter119

He did, actually.

He said that that type of storytelling isn't technically feasible (it's actually impossible to program a big game that regularly gives you meaningful story choices on a large scale), so there was no point in pursuing it.

Because you're pursuing something that can't actually do what it's supposed to?
#13 Posted by Pffrbt (6606 posts) -

Dyad sucks and I really don't care about this guy's dumbass opinion.

#14 Posted by the-obiwan (3747 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] He did, actually.

DarkLink77

truth be told.
#15 Posted by the-obiwan (3747 posts) -

Dyad sucks and I really don't care about this guy's dumbass opinion.

Pffrbt
your sig is disturbing x_x..
#16 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4226 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"][...] just saying Mass Effect's story sucks doesn't make it fact [...]Zeviander
But it does suck when compared to any other form of storytelling media. And even as a game it doesn't do anything special. Just very run-of-the-mill.

And I may well agree with you, didn't play Mass Effect, and I generally don't enjoy most sci fi. But it's still subjective and because of the gigantic following it has received I refuse to believe the story is complete trash.

#17 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4226 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] He did, actually.

DarkLink77

So? How does that make the story bad?

Avatar image for organic_machine
#18 Posted by organic_machine (9891 posts) -

DarkLink77

He does raise a very interesting point, however I'm not sure I fully agree with him. Yes, he's correct that it is impossible to program a game where your choices totally matter. But we can approximate fairly well. For example, Fallout 1 may not have fit the impossible ideal he described, but it sure as hell felt like it. And that's really what counts. It's the suspension of disbelief factor: if the game can trick you into forgetting the real world, I'd say good enough!

But he does raise fair criticisms about game storytelling though. I agree with him that devs spend too much time trying to mold you into their character as opposed to having your character write themselves. But I don't believe that having a predetermined character to play as is at all an inherently bad thing like he does.

Overall, interesting article. Good find!

#19 Posted by enterawesome (9477 posts) -
The lore in Mass Effect is not horrible. It simply isn't. Say what you will about issues regarding choice and consequence, but the fiction is massively impressive and not just as a game.
#20 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"][...] just saying Mass Effect's story sucks doesn't make it fact [...]Jolt_counter119

And I may well agree with you, didn't play Mass Effect, and I generally don't enjoy most sci fi. But it's still subjective and because of the gigantic following it has received I refuse to believe the story is complete trash.

Games with trash stories acquire huge followings all the time.

Argumentum ad populum is not a good method for determining whether or not something is good.

#21 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[...] because of the gigantic following it has received I refuse to believe the story is complete trash.Jolt_counter119
Lots of people like Twilight.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#22 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

inb4 "we just don't get it" *applause* for the guy though. Saying sh!t most developers would be scared to say.Zeviander

Haven't seen him in a while actually :P

And yeah he's only speaking his mind and the truth. Some people are too afraid to speak up sometimes but props to this guy.

#23 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -
The lore in Mass Effect is not horrible. It simply isn't. Say what you will about issues regarding choice and consequence, but the fiction is massively impressive and not just as a game.enterawesome
Mass Effect has a nerd-fantasy race of hot blue lesbians that want to f*ck everything else in the galaxy. /argument
#24 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"][...] just saying Mass Effect's story sucks doesn't make it fact [...]Jolt_counter119

That's a horrible basis to judge quality on.

#25 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

Jolt_counter119

Because it can't ever actually accomplish what it sets out to accomplish?
#26 Posted by enterawesome (9477 posts) -
[QUOTE="enterawesome"]The lore in Mass Effect is not horrible. It simply isn't. Say what you will about issues regarding choice and consequence, but the fiction is massively impressive and not just as a game.DarkLink77
Mass Effect has a nerd-fantasy race of hot blue lesbians that want to f*ck everything else in the galaxy. /argument

But the Elcor... :(
#27 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
The lore in Mass Effect is not horrible. It simply isn't. Say what you will about issues regarding choice and consequence, but the fiction is massively impressive and not just as a game.enterawesome
Instead of space magic (the Force) and trilithium, it's "element zero". Most of the lore isn't original, just well-delivered.
#28 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="enterawesome"]The lore in Mass Effect is not horrible. It simply isn't. Say what you will about issues regarding choice and consequence, but the fiction is massively impressive and not just as a game.enterawesome

Okay, Elcor are cool, I'll give you that one. But being cool in Mass Effect means you get relegated to a supporting role and get to do f*ck all for the entire series.
#29 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -
[QUOTE="enterawesome"]The lore in Mass Effect is not horrible. It simply isn't. Say what you will about issues regarding choice and consequence, but the fiction is massively impressive and not just as a game.Zeviander
Instead of space magic (the Force) and trilithium, it's "element zero". Most of the lore isn't original, just well-delivered.

But Mass Effect has space magic, too!
#30 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4226 posts) -

Jesus I got blazed on that point. I still don't agree that the story sucks because of technical reasons though. If you want to bash a story, then bash the story, not because you're not given as much choice as it implies. I just think that bashing an entire way of telling a story is stupid.

#31 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="enterawesome"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Mass Effect has a nerd-fantasy race of hot blue lesbians that want to f*ck everything else in the galaxy. /argumentDarkLink77

Okay, Elcor are cool, I'll give you that one. But being cool in Mass Effect means you get relegated to a supporting role and get to do f*ck all for the entire series.

Example: Marauder Shields

#32 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="enterawesome"]The lore in Mass Effect is not horrible. It simply isn't. Say what you will about issues regarding choice and consequence, but the fiction is massively impressive and not just as a game.Zeviander

Then again, forcing people to read/listen to an in-game encyclopedia, may not be as good a method as I originally thought.
#33 Posted by DerekLoffin (9006 posts) -
I'm puzzled as to the use the word linear here. I wouldn't call games that attempt some choice elements linear. Linear to me is more what straight story games go with, where there is no story impact to choices at all. Oh well, whatever. As to his argument that you can't pull of real choices in games, I disagree. You can't pull off infinite choice at least not until we get games that are simulations rather than discrete events which is WAYYYY off, but you can still pull off meaningful limited choices in games.
#34 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I just think that bashing an entire way of telling a story is stupid.Jolt_counter119
Why? These are games, not books or movies.
#35 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="enterawesome"]The lore in Mass Effect is not horrible. It simply isn't. Say what you will about issues regarding choice and consequence, but the fiction is massively impressive and not just as a game.Zeviander

Then again, forcing people to read/listen to an in-game encyclopedia, may not be as good a method as I originally thought.

:lol: True that. FFXIII got blasted for the same thing a lot of places, if I remember correctly.
#36 Posted by Slow_Show (2018 posts) -

He's wrong. Like, there's no other way to put it: the fact you can't create these infinitely variable storylines doesn't change the fact that a relatively linear story with a sprinkling of player choice can still be pretty damn emotionally affecting. For all the ME series' failings and "it's only good for a game" qualifiers, just that sliver of player agency is enough to let you build some pretty impressive connections to the characters (which is all the more impressive, considering they ain't exactly Bloom and Raskolnikov) in a way a purely linear story never could.

That said, he does have a point about devs working within the limits of the medium. The gaming community is so concerned with everything fitting within it's nice, neat little genre trope that it f*cks everything up: 3-5 hours worth of story has to be stretched into 30-50 hours worth of game, "serious" story-driven games invariably have to have "deep" RPG mechanics, it's better to have pointless "shades of gray" moral choices than meaningful "saint/cartoon villain"-level ones, all your Big Epic Story Moments have to be done in cutscene for some bizarre reason, etc. While he's wrong to write off traditional stories in gaming in general, there's definitely something to be said for getting rid of our current definition of traditional stories in gaming.

P.S: Granted I'm not a big sci-fi nerd or anything, but I really don't get the hate for the ME universe. Like, sure, it isn't the most exciting or creative universe out there, but it's functional and generally interesting, or at the very least inoffensive. And while I don't want to accuse everyone who hates on it of doing it for the false sense of smug superiority that comes with hating on anything that's popular, well, it sure seems like people are hating on it for thefalse sense of smug superiority that comes with hating on anything that's popular.

#37 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4226 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Because you're pursuing something that can't actually do what it's supposed to?DarkLink77

And who are you to say what they are trying to accomplish. They know the limitations, hell a lot better than we do. They are accomplishing what they accomplish which is a story with your actions guiding the way. On the question when the inteviewer asks what he thought on the missions that are very different depending on how you play, all he did was call it filler and useless.

#38 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Jesus I got blazed on that point. I still don't agree that the story sucks because of technical reasons though. If you want to bash a story, then bash the story, not because you're not given as much choice as it implies. I just think that bashing an entire way of telling a story is stupid.

Jolt_counter119

It gets praised because it spans 3 games and no other game has really done that to that level before. And because there is so much of it people tend to just automatically think it's good because of these factors. But most of Mass Effect is just time wasting, I mean why the hell do you go on a pokemon quest of sorts to try and catch 'em all (your squadmates) when there is a huge universe wide extinction threat coming. It makes no sense. Like the guy said "it's busy work" to keep the game going, they could have crammed all the ME story into one game when it comes down to it. That's why i think ME1 has the best story of the 3. it has a beginning with introductions to everything, a middle (the problem you face) and an end where you defeat Sovereign. It felt complete and padded just enough, but not to the levels of filler added in ME2.

#39 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="enterawesome"] But the Elcor... :(seanmcloughlin

65e.jpg

Never forget.

#40 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

He sounds like a jerk.

I mean, it just sounds like elitist "wow those guys are popular but I think they suck" BS to me. I can understand not liking ME, but I think it's incredibly disrespectful to Bioware and their work, and given the insane amount of praise and fans I'd say he's totally in the wrong.

#41 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

I think anyone with taste knows that Mass Effect is pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to RPG stories.

#42 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -
P.S: Granted I'm not a big sci-fi nerd or anything, but I really don't get the hate for the ME universe. Like, sure, it isn't the most exciting or creative universe out there, but it's functional and generally interesting, or at the very least inoffensive. And while I don't want to accuse everyone who hates on it of doing it for the false sense of smug superiority that comes with hating on anything that's popular, well, it sure seems like people are hating on it for thefalse sense of smug superiority that comes with hating on anything that's popular.Slow_Show
You'd best not be referring to me, Slow_Bro.
#43 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Jolt_counter119"]

Jolt_counter119

And who are you to say what they are trying to accomplish. They know the limitations, hell a lot better than we do. They are accomplishing what they accomplish which is a story with your actions guiding the way. On the question when the inteviewer asks what he thought on the missions that are very different depending on how you play, all he did was call it filler and useless.

Your actions don't guide anything. In any way. There is no point in ME1 or ME2 where you can avoid that space child ending scenario or lead your character to a different outcome. No matter what you do in the entire trilogy it still boils down to those 3 coloured choices at the end. That's not making "your choices matter", it's making it SEEM like they matter

#44 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Okay, Elcor are cool, I'll give you that one. But being cool in Mass Effect means you get relegated to a supporting role and get to do f*ck all for the entire series.DarkLink77

65e.jpg

Never forget.

Having to kill him was the hardest choice in the entire trilogy. He was just trying to save me from the bad ending and I fvcking gunned him down :cry:

Also I read the rest of the article and I'm glad he brought up Dark Souls. So many times I hear people say Dark Souls has no story or lore and I want to slap them for how wrong they are. Another reason Shadow of the Colossus is up there in that department. Any game that can make me think that much about a story and have me make my own deserves an award.THAT'S interactive story telling

#45 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Because it can't ever actually accomplish what it sets out to accomplish?seanmcloughlin

Your actions don't guide anything. In any way. There is no point in ME1 or ME2 where you can avoid that space child ending scenario or lead your character to a different outcome. No matter what you do in the entire trilogy it still boils down to those 3 coloured choices at the end. That's not making "your choices matter", it's making it SEEM like they matter

^Truth.
#46 Posted by GD1551 (9645 posts) -

Who is this?

#47 Posted by enterawesome (9477 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="enterawesome"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Mass Effect has a nerd-fantasy race of hot blue lesbians that want to f*ck everything else in the galaxy. /argument

Yeah the Elcor were kind of a missed opportunity but in all seriousness I really can't help but be impressed by the fiction of ME. I do think it got a little dumb after Mass Effect 1 but at least in that first game they had something pretty unique going on. I can't think of any science fiction property that had so much depth in it's first installment, not just in games. Obviously some stuff like Greg Bear's work and BSG wipe the floor with it, but ME1 had a raw energy to it, and a lot of grime. Not grime in the Star Wars sense of "Everything looks like sh*tty plastic models" but in a very literal, f*cked up way. ME1 just didn't mess around. Plus the Reapers and Protheans were a MILLION times cooler when we knew way less about them. I think ME2 and 3 got caught up in a lot of pandering to stupid fans, and the tonally the whole franchise took a step down. Basically the series got really corny. But even so I think a lot of the lore remained intact and I still enjoyed reading stuff in the codex in ME3.
#48 Posted by The_Game21x (26362 posts) -

He lost me when he said Mass Effect is horrible.

#49 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

organic_machine

He does raise a very interesting point, however I'm not sure I fully agree with him. Yes, he's correct that it is impossible to program a game where your choices totally matter. But we can approximate fairly well. For example, Fallout 1 may not have fit the impossible ideal he described, but it sure as hell felt like it. And that's really what counts. It's the suspension of disbelief factor: if the game can trick you into forgetting the real world, I'd say good enough!

But he does raise fair criticisms about game storytelling though. I agree with him that devs spend too much time trying to mold you into their character as opposed to having your character write themselves. But I don't believe that having a predetermined character to play as is at all an inherently bad thing like he does.

Overall, interesting article. Good find!

True. But when everything comes down to, "Press the red, blue, or green button" no matter what you did, there's a problem somewhere. Also, true. I think both can work fine, and I'm not totally against a purely linear story in games. But he makes a point against the half-assed "choose your own adventure but not really" story we get nowadays. Thanks, brah.
#50 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

He lost me when he said Mass Effect is horrible.

The_Game21x
Of course he did. Because you like horrible stories. Like Mass Effect and Halo 4.