Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

and by the title I mean, to be able to use GPU's of different architectures at the same time.

DirectX 12 will support all of this across multiple GPU architectures, simultaneously. What this means is that Nvidia GeForce GPUs will be able to work in tandem with AMD Radeon GPUs to render the same game – the same frame, even.

This is especially interesting as it allows you to leverage the technology benefits of both of these hardware platforms if you wish to do so. If you like Nvidia's GeForce Experience software and 3D Vision, but you want to use AMD's TrueAudio and FreeSync, chances are you'll be able to do that when DirectX 12 comes around. What will likely happen is that one card will operate as the master card, while the other will be used for additional power.

http://www.tomshardware.com/print/microsoft-directx12-amd-nvidia,news-28606.html

you know what it'd be truly cool too? For one to be able to use the GPU in conjunction with the integrated card on every fucking Intel CPU. Because it's stupid that with recent Intel HD's becoming so efficient that they have no use other that wasting energy when the GPU is engaged.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

I remember the Hydra chip,good times.

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

Maybe they'll used this feature on the Xbox

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I'm really wondering how APU's are going to fair with this new set up. Haven't seen much on what that means for these new chips. Currently I wouldn't recommend but I could see them being useful in a setup such as this. Like offloading physx onto the APU's GPU section of the dye or other similar setups.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

dx 12 support stacking vram and cross brand sli ,it's time to upgrade my gpu

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Halo2-Best-FPS
Member since 2004 • 784 Posts

lol what does it matter, pc doesn't get complicated gfx anymore.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

i can only imagine the bugs and performance issues related to this, no ty.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

AMAZED that it took this long for a thread to be made about this on here. everywhere else the story of this being a possibility its making ripples. it would be a monumental achievement for pc gaming. but it takes damn near a full day for a thread to be made about it on here...what happened to system wars maannnn, lol smh.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

you should probably change the title to DX12 will let AMD and Nvidia cards work together, because the title sounds like DX12 is simply just supporting Crossfire and SLI which when I read I didn't think much of it.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@magicalclick said:

Yeah, I think that would be nice to utilize those APU graphics when GPU is added. Hope the rumor is true. DX12 is awesome.

Is not that DX12 is awesome is that DX has suck for generations the problem.

There is not a single reason why if you have 2 GPU with 8GB of memory total you could only use 4Gb,it is obvious that SLI and crossfire have been broken for more than 2 generations and MS did little to fix it,i find odd that it isn't until AMD step in with Mantle after criticize them fro years that MS want to do things right.

Is one of the reasons why monopolies hurt the industry..

@tymeservesfate said:

AMAZED that it took this long for a thread to be made about this on here. everywhere else the story of this being a possibility its making ripples. it would be a monumental achievement for pc gaming. but it takes damn near a full day for a thread to be made about it on here...what happened to system wars maannnn, lol smh.

It was done already several days ago but it die quickly and pass to second page.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

That's very interesting. Of course it all depends how much AMD and Nvidia are willing to play ball.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@tormentos said:

@magicalclick said:

Yeah, I think that would be nice to utilize those APU graphics when GPU is added. Hope the rumor is true. DX12 is awesome.

There is not a single reason why if you have 2 GPU with 8GB of memory total you could only use 4Gb,it is obvious that SLI and crossfire have been broken for more than 2 generations and MS did little to fix it,i find odd that it isn't until AMD step in with Mantle after criticize them fro years that MS want to do things right.

@tymeservesfate said:

It was done already several days ago but it die quickly and pass to second page.

OpenGL didn't do any better i.e. GLnext to fix it's own issues.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@tormentos said:

@magicalclick said:

@tymeservesfate said:

As if Microsoft started with DX12 after Mantle was announced. Laughable.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@FastRobby said:

Well Mantle wasn't make in 1 day and yet by the time DX12 land Mantle will be close to 2 years,so yeah Mantle not only landed first it was probably on development for a long time,AMD has years complaining about DX over head and latency.

@ronvalencia said:

But i didn't say it Opengl did any better,fact is the standard was Dx not opengl,and even so in things like lower CPu over head bundles,PRT opengl has been ahead of DX.

Lets not forget how MS has time after time put the foot in front opengl to sabotage it,just like did with Java.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Mantle is dead. Long live DX!

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

i can only imagine the bugs and performance issues related to this, no ty.

You were thinking what I was thinking. How did this happen?

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@tormentos said:

@tymeservesfate said:

really?? i missed it. could you send me a link for it? i'd appreciate it, thanks.

(not that i'm doubting you...i'd just like to look it over)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

I have 2 gtx 970s in sli. If direct x12 will let the memory stack that would be amazing. Im skeptical about the amd/nvidia mix of cards in one system. It just seems like a driver/coding mess. But if it works thats awesome!

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@Gue1 said:

and by the title I mean, to be able to use GPU's of different architectures at the same time.

DirectX 12 will support all of this across multiple GPU architectures, simultaneously. What this means is that Nvidia GeForce GPUs will be able to work in tandem with AMD Radeon GPUs to render the same game – the same frame, even.

This is especially interesting as it allows you to leverage the technology benefits of both of these hardware platforms if you wish to do so. If you like Nvidia's GeForce Experience software and 3D Vision, but you want to use AMD's TrueAudio and FreeSync, chances are you'll be able to do that when DirectX 12 comes around. What will likely happen is that one card will operate as the master card, while the other will be used for additional power.

http://www.tomshardware.com/print/microsoft-directx12-amd-nvidia,news-28606.html

you know what it'd be truly cool too? For one to be able to use the GPU in conjunction with the integrated card on every fucking Intel CPU. Because it's stupid that with recent Intel HD's becoming so efficient that they have no use other that wasting energy when the GPU is engaged.

Pretty sure it becomes disabled. You can even do it yourself from the bios.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

I'm more excited about the Vram stacking. 7GB will be enough for quite some time

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gue1

@HalcyonScarlet:

It always stays "on" because the CPU and integrated are both part of a SoC. You can disable it all you want in the bios but it still consumes energy. In this case, a lot more energy since the GPU will always be on too. On top of it the integrated is the only one with connection to the screen when you're on a laptop. Both the HDMI-out and main screen are tied to the integrated.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HalcyonScarlet
@Gue1 said:

@HalcyonScarlet:

It always stays "on" because the CPU and integrated are both part of a SoC. You can disable it all you want in the bios but it still consumes energy. In this case, a lot more energy since the GPU will always be on too. On top of it the integrated is the only one with connection to the screen when you're on a laptop. Both the HDMI-out and main screen are tied to the integrated.

Even if it is on, it would be in a completely idle state and would be using very little.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ronvalencia

@Gue1:

Disabling Intel IGP would disable Intel QuickSync.

@tormentos said:
@FastRobby said:

Well Mantle wasn't make in 1 day and yet by the time DX12 land Mantle will be close to 2 years,so yeah Mantle not only landed first it was probably on development for a long time,AMD has years complaining about DX over head and latency.

@ronvalencia said:

But i didn't say it Opengl did any better,fact is the standard was Dx not opengl,and even so in things like lower CPu over head bundles,PRT opengl has been ahead of DX.

Lets not forget how MS has time after time put the foot in front opengl to sabotage it,just like did with Java.

Let's us not forget the following

1. AMD's OpenGL PRT extension is dead and vendor neutral version was later adopted. They are not compatible and AMD haven't fix a bug with this extension.

2. NVIDIA's OpenGL for lower CPU overheads extensions doesn't work on AMD and Intel GPUs.

3. OpenGL still has multithreading model issues i.e. another single thread legacy.

GLnext fixes multithreading model and vendor specific issues with GPU vendor neutral APIs.

From Apple

The above OpenGL multithreading model looks familiar to DX11 multithreading model...

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

This is great news. I'm excited about the Vram stacking possibility.

thegiftoffear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thegiftoffear
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

@tormentos said:

@FastRobby said:

@ronvalencia said:

And yet DX12 will be done in June 2015 or fall 2015 latest. And where is Mantle today? Still in beta with no end in sight. Not only that, it's an API that works only on AMD. DX12 works on AMD, NVIDIA, Intel, and ARM (Qualcomm). Not only that, totally new hardware is required to get the full Feature Level 12 of DX12. So how is it that MS is able to create an API that's vastly multiplatform more than AMD - all of that in a year after announcement of Mantle?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ronvalencia

@thegiftoffear said:

@tormentos said:

@FastRobby said:

@ronvalencia said:

And yet DX12 will be done in June 2015 or fall 2015 latest. And where is Mantle today? Still in beta with no end in sight. Not only that, it's an API that works only on AMD. DX12 works on AMD, NVIDIA, Intel, and ARM (Qualcomm). Not only that, totally new hardware is required to get the full Feature Level 12 of DX12. So how is it that MS is able to create an API that's vastly multiplatform more than AMD - all of that in a year after announcement of Mantle?

The tiny gap between AMD's Mantle and DirectX12 results on AMD GPUs indicates common software driver technology.

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tighaman
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts

Crossfire? SLI? I told yall from the beginning on why the system is split in two. Next up is using the 8gb of flash as NVRAM

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Even if Nvidia fucks with this and somehow stops AMD and Nvidia cards being cross compatible it'll still be greatly useful for hanging onto older cards rather than selling them.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#32  Edited By Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

@indigenous_euphoria said:

wat

indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 indigenous_euphoria

@Tighaman: Yeah MS is way smarter then people think. Wonder if DX12 would allow you to link Xbox one's together for extra

Processing power?...would be awesome!

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

NVIDIA will disable it just like they disabled physx when an AMD gpu is detected. AMD will likely do it as well. However, I feel like this was a misinterpretation. I thought they meant SLI and X-fire with different arch as in SLI with kepler/maxwell or hawaii/tonga/pirateislands.

@Link3301 said:

wat

My thoughts as well.

indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By indigenous_euphoria

@Link3301:

lol yeah my post was vague....half my post got deleted for some reason. So if DX 12 allows you to link multiple GPU's together making them act as one powerful sing GPU. Why couldn't they make a GPU or processing devise add on for the xbox one?.....or possibly link multiple xbox one's together for extra processing power? The ethernet port goes directly into the main SOC so theoretically it should be possible.

indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 indigenous_euphoria

@magicalclick: Wasn't being sarcastic....

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gue1

@Link3301:

lol yeah my post was vague....half my post got deleted for some reason. So if DX 12 allows you to link multiple GPU's together making them act as one powerful sing GPU. Why couldn't they make a GPU or processing devise add on for the xbox one?.....or possibly link multiple xbox one's together for extra processing power? The ethernet port goes directly into the main SOC so theoretically it should be possible.

if Sega has showed us something is that this kind of stuff always fails. Although there's the argument that the market is different now....

indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 indigenous_euphoria

@Gue1: Yeah that's true. I think it could work as an add on that came with your game....say like Halo 5.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@Gue1: Yeah that's true. I think it could work as an add on that came with your game....say like Halo 5.

Combining multiple consoles would be such a waste of money. You would only be combining the GPU horse power of 2 or more consoles just for the GPU (which is equal to a 75 dollar GPU). The xboxone wasn't design for this scalability and does not have the bandwidth connectors to make it work. You are better off building a windows 10 system for a fraction of the price.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@tormentos said:

There is not a single reason why if you have 2 GPU with 8GB of memory total you could only use 4Gb.

You obviously have no idea how crossfire or SLI works then.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@Tighaman said:

Crossfire? SLI? I told yall from the beginning on why the system is split in two. Next up is using the 8gb of flash as NVRAM

smells like misterxmedia

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@tormentos said:

@magicalclick said:

@tymeservesfate said:

lololol I always love el tormo, *finds anti Microsoft propaganda site, copy and pastes without understanding anything*

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tighaman

@stereointegrity: its always mxm when its not agreeing with Cowboys

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@Tighaman said:

@stereointegrity: its always mxm when its not agreeing with Cowboys

but u post here the shit he posts on his blog....

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tighaman

@stereointegrity: I post my own conclusion from what i read and find everywhere and thats not from his blog thats reading the purposes of NAND RAM

Avatar image for iknowwhatswrong
IKnowWhatsWrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By IKnowWhatsWrong
Member since 2015 • 163 Posts

Actually bringing this back because I'm ordering my PC in less than 48 hrs. Is VRAM going to stack.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HalcyonScarlet

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@tormentos said:
@magicalclick said:

Mantle probably isn't what spurred on DX12's optimizations. And they didn't have a monopoly (OpenGL).

But the market needs have been changing for quite some time now, and there are tons of ultra portable laptops with under 2.0ghz processors. There's a large market need for better utilization of hardware in the portable market.