User Lists: 0

#101 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@nyadc said:
@silversix_ said:
@nyadc said:
@-God- said:
@silversix_ said:

The only thing that will help Xbox One is Xbox Two.

better than power point 4 running witcher 3 at 20 fps on low

ouch, it actually drops to 19 FPS during the DF video...

are you telling me that it drops from 20fps to 19fps? oh mai gawd

It's operating at 19 FPS, that's a slide show, you can perceive independent frames... I shouldn't have to tell you how pathetic that is...

I don't know who is responsible, probably Sony, but recklessly forcing 1080p on the PlayStation 4 for games that the hardware clearly can't handle has been one of the most idiotic attempts to maintain an image I have ever seen...

Loading Video...

I remember when you were trying to tell me I was lying about this port being a pile of crap, good times man.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#102  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

As someone who games on the Xbox One, I'd at least want to see something more concrete than to get my hopes up and be massively disappointed, so I'm not going to be counting the days to be wowed by DX12. If they make a good case for it and I can see it in the games, then we can talk. Until then, I'd rather no jinx it.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#103 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@davem1992 said:
Loading Video...

I remember when you were trying to tell me I was lying about this port being a pile of crap, good times man.

It's not a port, it's running on backward compatibility, something which is still in beta and doesn't launch for another three months... Also I didn't say it doesn't, I said in the hub world AKA the town there are slowdowns but in the actual game worlds it runs fine, which is exactly what this video shows...

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#104 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Purposely misleading thread title.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@davem1992 said:
@nyadc said:
@silversix_ said:
@nyadc said:
@-God- said:
@silversix_ said:

The only thing that will help Xbox One is Xbox Two.

ouch, it actually drops to 19 FPS during the DF video...

It's operating at 19 FPS, that's a slide show, you can perceive independent frames... I shouldn't have to tell you how pathetic that is...

I don't know who is responsible, probably Sony, but recklessly forcing 1080p on the PlayStation 4 for games that the hardware clearly can't handle has been one of the most idiotic attempts to maintain an image I have ever seen...

BC has nothing to do with DX12.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@davem1992 said:
Loading Video...

Hope they fix the bc. Don't see the point of poorly implemented bc.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 ronvalencia

@Heil68 said:
@nyadc said:
@Heil68 said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

A-fucking-mazing. An indie dev says the PS4 is 65% more powerful and it becomes a law written in stone. We can lol at the claim now but all the Ponies and Cows were quick to go along with this nobodies 2 cents.

A dev says something about Xbox One and DX12? Must be bullshit.

Well PS4 is actually around 50% more powerful, that's where the disconnect comes from.

With the CPU/GPU disparities all said and done between both consoles the PlayStation 4 is actually in the 30-35% more powerful range in real world applications, 50% is an overblown figure from people who don't understand computer hardware, 2+2 =/= 4.

We settled on 40% a few posts ago. I'll use that figure from now on.

On shader power, XBO has 71 percent of PS4.

On CPU power, PS4 has about 86 percent of X1.

On tessellation power, PS4 has about 94 percent of X1.

Both consoles are about even with GPU memory writes i.e. 32 ROPS on PS4 and XBO's 16 ROPS+48 TMU (16 ROPS workaround). They are both memory bandwidth bound i.e. GDDR5 vs split DDR3+ESRAM.

Both consoles has can run the same game with a few differences e.g. either 1600x900p vs 1920x1080p or frame rates.

T-razor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#108 T-razor1
Member since 2002 • 1164 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@delta3074 said:
@Heil68 said:
@delta3074 said:
@Heil68 said:
@delta3074 said:
@Heil68 said:
@delta3074 said:

Phil spencer never said it would do nothing for the Xbox, he said it would not be Dramatic but games that use DX12 will be improved on the xbone.

And NOT ONE developer has said DX12 will do nothing for the Xbone.

Yup

Asked if DX12 is gonna dramatically change the graphics capabilities of Xbox One and I said it wouldn’t. I’m not trying to rain on anybody’s parade, but the CPU, GPU and memory that are on Xbox One don’t change when you go to DX12. DX12 makes it easier to do some of the things that Xbox One’s good at, which will be nice and you’ll see improvement in games that use DX12, but people ask me if it’s gonna be dramatic and I think I answered no at the time and I’ll say the same thing.

Dx12 is another buzz word to make lems feel better about their 2nd place console it seems.

Please explain how saying that it would not 'Dramatically' change the Graphics capabilities means that it will do nothing at all, your reading comprehension is totally off, read the question then get the answer in the correct context.

Claiming there will be no DRAMATIC changes is not Claiming there will be no changes at all, is is claiming the changes will not be Dramatic

'DX12 makes it easier to do some of the things that Xbox One’s good at, which will be nice and you’ll see improvement in games that use DX12'

Improvements in games that use DX12

So it's obvious Phil never said that Dx12 would do NOTHING for the Xbox, hes just saying that the gains will not be as huge as some people are saying.

Think very hard before trying to twist the English language with me Heli, you will Fail.

'people ask me if it’s gonna be dramatic'

I think it's pretty Obvious whats being asked to anyone with an ounce of reading comprehension, they are asking specifically if the changes will be Dramatic (significant) not whether there will be any gains at all.

so anyone applying logic would realize that his answer is that the gains will not be Dramatic is just that, that the gains will not be anything Dramatic (significant)

It in no way, shape, or form equates to him claiming there would be no gains at all.

End of the day even Phil dashed lems hopes and dreams. And that's from head of Xbox. Pretty telling m8.

No he didn't,Because he never said Dx12 would do nothing to improve graphics on the xbox one, all he said is that the changes would not be dramatic.

Try to spin what he said all you want, it's obvious to anyone with even a tiny grasp of the english language that He never once claimed it would do nothing at all.

you can take what phil said in your weird out of world context all you want, i will stick to the Basics of english reading comprehension.

But I quoted him. That's not me, that's head of Xbox.

Dreams CRUSHED.

Thanks Phil

Thanks MS

Guess we do have current gen 8 console leader PS4 though, so that's a plus.

'But I quoted him. That's not me, that's head of Xbox.'

nowhere in that quote did phil say it would do nothing for the Xbone, you misinterpreted what he said.

Yeah, you would think hardcore lems wouldn't put much stock into it since the head of Xbox division debunked it. I guess Lems can't catch a break,

The point is that he never said it would do nothing. Remove your pony lips from Kaz's a** for one second and listen/read what people are trying to explain to you. God your dumb.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#109 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@worknow222 said:

Interesting *Grabs popcorn* now were tormentos at

Hiding under his Troll bridge trying to think up some lie after saying DX12 will do nothing on the XB1. lol!

This dev isn't Brad W. I'm going to sit back and wait for more devs to come out and make similar comments as the release of Win10/DX12 on the XB1 gets closer and closer.

Let the trolling begin.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@silversix_ said:
@nyadc said:
@silversix_ said:

you of all the people should know how that is after DR3 ran at 16fps.

Knack ran at 14fps and that's a less taxing game then DR3. lol!! You cows are funny.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/knack-frame-rate-drops-to-the-low-teens-14fps-30932555/

T-razor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 T-razor1

@ronvalencia said:
@Heil68 said:
@nyadc said:
@Heil68 said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

A-fucking-mazing. An indie dev says the PS4 is 65% more powerful and it becomes a law written in stone. We can lol at the claim now but all the Ponies and Cows were quick to go along with this nobodies 2 cents.

Well PS4 is actually around 50% more powerful, that's where the disconnect comes from.

With the CPU/GPU disparities all said and done between both consoles the PlayStation 4 is actually in the 30-35% more powerful range in real world applications, 50% is an overblown figure from people who don't understand computer hardware, 2+2 =/= 4.

Both consoles are about even with GPU memory writes i.e. 32 ROPS on PS4 and XBO's 16 ROPS+48 TMU (16 ROPS workaround). They are both memory bandwidth bound i.e. GDDR5 vs split DDR3+ESRAM.

Both consoles has can run the same game with a few differences e.g. either 1600x900p vs 1920x1080p or frame rates.

It really is sad how desperate from the beginning when these two consoles launched and even NOW how desperate ponies want to continue to spread lies and propaganda about a 50% power difference between the ps4 and Xbox One.

The 50% misunderstanding came from here and ponies ran with it and continue to run with it even when the developer clarified what he meant. The damn consoles are virtually even. You could even argue that the Xbox One is more capable when you see stuff like Crackdown 3 and the cloud. Doesn't matter that it doesn't make the Xbox One more powerful than the ps4. Can the ps4 do the same? Maybe. But whether it's a money deficit or an engineering/talent deficit the bottom line is that Sony isn't using it and the Xbox One is using the Cloud.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@Heil68 said:
@nyadc said:
@Heil68 said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

Yea, I was going to say that, but we'll stick with 40% for ease of use. thanks Ron.

T-razor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 T-razor1

@Heil68: Yeah you mean you'll stick with your lies you dumb f**k.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Heil68

@T-razor1 said:

Just the facts, which Ron and others have proven, so in the end that's the truth and sometimes that draws the spiteful eye of hurt users like yourself.

T-razor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 T-razor1

@Heil68 said:
@T-razor1 said:

Just the facts, which Ron and others have proven, so in the end that's the truth and sometimes that draws the spiteful eye of hurt users like yourself.

Hey penis face. You wouldn't even be using percentages at all had the developer never had his words misquoted. FACT. The truth is once he clarified what he meant you and a bunch of other sad ponies went around desperately trying to search for documents to justify your claims. The bottom line is that you are REACHING when you try to do this.

As I said the damn consoles are virtually even. And no the games do not support your claims. And even if you try to use the resolution argument that doesn't work. It's a matter of devs having issues with the esram kind of like devs had issues with the cell. Just more challenging to develop for which supports why the people fly dev said it was faster to DEVELOP for on the ps4..... nothing to do with power. As time goes on (and it's already happening now) especially with DX12 coming out devs will find it easier to develop on Xbox One.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Heil68

@T-razor1 said:
@Heil68 said:
@T-razor1 said:

Hey penis face. You wouldn't even be using percentages at all had the developer never had his words misquoted. FACT. The truth is once he clarified what he meant you and a bunch of other sad ponies went around desperately trying to search for documents to justify your claims. The bottom line is that you are REACHING when you try to do this.

As I said the damn consoles are virtually even. And no the games do not support your claims. And even if you try to use the resolution argument that doesn't work. It's a matter of devs having issues with the esram kind of like devs had issues with the cell. Just more challenging to develop for which supports why the people fly dev said it was faster to DEVELOP for on the ps4..... nothing to do with power. As time goes on (and it's already happening now) especially with DX12 coming out devs will find it easier to develop on Xbox One.

Yup, he's hurt over pieces of plastic folks. ..lol..

Mad SONY who is current gen 8 console leader happens to make their console 40% more factual powerful than X1.

Oh, and..

screen capped for lolz

T-razor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 T-razor1

@Heil68 said:
@T-razor1 said:
@Heil68 said:
@T-razor1 said:

Mad SONY who is current gen 8 console leader happens to make their console 40% more factual powerful than X1.

Oh, and..

screen capped for lolz

Thanks for confirming that you're a first class clown on these forums and why your posts should always be ignored. Shame on me.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@T-razor1 said:
@Heil68 said:

Thanks for confirming that you're a first class clown on these forums and why your posts should always be ignored. Shame on me.

@T-razor1 said:

@T-razor1 said:

Hey penis face.

Seems like you're doing a pretty good job of that yourself at the moment

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Heil68

@T-razor1 said:
@Heil68 said:
@T-razor1 said:
@Heil68 said:
@T-razor1 said:

Oh, and..

screen capped for lolz

Thanks for confirming that you're a first class clown on these forums and why your posts should always be ignored. Shame on me

Don't forget to Live, Learn and most importantly LOVE, you seem upset.

Loading Video...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Heil68

@lostrib said:
@T-razor1 said:
@Heil68 said:

@T-razor1 said:

@T-razor1 said:

Hey penis face.

Seems like you're doing a pretty good job of that yourself at the moment

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@nyadc said:
@davem1992 said:
Loading Video...

It's not a port, it's running on backward compatibility, something which is still in beta and doesn't launch for another three months... Also I didn't say it doesn't, I said in the hub world AKA the town there are slowdowns but in the actual game worlds it runs fine, which is exactly what this video shows...

One problem there, the hub takes up a massive part of the game and it's borderline unplayable (I had it even worse than this before it was patched)

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

Phil Spencer doesn't talk about backwards compatibility anymore and all but said it wouldn't work on the Xbox One.. Then he drops a bomb at E3.. The result? Backward Compatibility is real..

Phil Spencer doesn't talk about "the cloud" anymore and doesn't even directly address it during his media briefing at Gamescom.. Then the Crackdown devs drop a bomb during a closed-doors demo.. The result? "The Cloud" is real..

Phil Spener doesn't talk about DX12 on Xbox One since saying that it wont be a "massive change".. You see a pattern here?.. Maybe Microsoft has made the smart decision to stop talking about their big upcoming features until they having something tangible to show.. Unfortunately, at a minimum, we probably won't hear anything official until the Xbox One Win10 update is released in a couple months or, at a maximum, until the first Xbox One game built for DirectX12 is close to release in 2016..

In any case, I wouldn't bank on Phil Spencer's silence on the subject as any kind of negative indication..

Backwards compatability has been talked up a lot when he does bring it up, probably to try and drag 360 owners to the Xbone. MS has been weak on da clowd because it's been available for use for two years and it hasn't advanced much, it's barely a game changer despite your tech demo. Similarly, he's always very muted when it comes to DX12, for good reason. It's a few months until it shows up on the Bone and the Xbone is still flailing despite that so-called E3 comeback you said was happening. Now's a better time than ever to do so.

@blessedbyhorus said:

It seems Xbox One was made with Dx12 in mind. Correct me if I am wrong...

IIRC DX12 didn't actually start development until around the time the Xbone was revealed.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#123  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@delta3074 said:
@Heil68 said:

Dreams CRUSHED.

Thanks Phil

Thanks MS

nowhere in that quote did phil say it would do nothing for the Xbone, you misinterpreted what he said.

Yeah, you would think hardcore lems wouldn't put much stock into it since the head of Xbox division debunked it. I guess Lems can't catch a break,

you are either being willfully ignorant or you have the reading comprehension of a 2 year old, either way, makes no Matter to me , you carry on with your childish responses if you like, you want to look a fool then carry on, by all means, don't let me get in the way of your little temper tantrum mate.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@T-razor1: Excellent comments T. This is also why the PS4 has the popular opinion and has great sales numbers. People are easy to accept anything Sony says or does. The Xbox has to fight for everything. Even when a developer cries out how great DX12 is for The One.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 delta3074
@Heil68 said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

Again you effed up, NO developer said it was 50% more powerful, the developer in question said it was 50% faster to develop for.

'

. 'I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second.'

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=80542977#post80542977

'claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games.'

Try to spin that Comment into something it's not.

I just realized , you really are full of shit,lol

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@delta3074: The initial claim of power was made and people just took off with it. Once this loser corrected himself our wonderful biased gaming media wasn't as quick to promote the correction. The whole 65-50% more powerful became burned into everyone's brain. Brainwashed brains that is.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

All hail Heil68!

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

@-God- said:

It never ceases to amaze me how juvenile some of the replies get on this forum, if you havent got a real argument resort to childish name calling.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Tormentos, come out to play-i-yeeh

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

@Caseytappy said:

Tormentos, come out to play-i-yeeh

I love that and use it myself sometime, good stuff.... Warrior. :P

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#131 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

I like these threads. All lemmings rally and get their hopes up.

Only to have em shattered later.

Haven't you guys learned by now? Sheesh!

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@delta3074 said:

Depends on what you call minor, according to you Cows Resolution and framerates are hugely important this gen so by Cow logic a 20+ percent increase in frames is actually not 'slight improvement'.

You are he first that should stop this crap.

20% over what.?

At what the game was running how many frames the game was running when they achieve this 20% 15FPS 20FPS 30FPS.?

20% of 30 frames would be 36 the end result,but if you are 20 yeah you get only 24 FPS the % is useless is an empty claim without a number as base,which is why DX12 winnings on xbox one are shit,and there isn't a single test or real number documenting it,which make it even more doubtful and obscure.

There isn't a single reason for a demo of DX12 to exist on pc and surface tables but not on xbox one which is where it started,other than the earning been to small to show period.

Lemming don't hold sh** hose claims have been as empty as your arguments have been,just like COD will be 1080p on xbox one only to be 720p when it launched and a developer claimed it would be 1080p,funny enough Barrage of developers have claim it will do little or that DX12 will not solve the xbox one problems but those are ignore.

@blessedbyhorus said:

It seems Xbox One was made with Dx12 in mind. Correct me if I am wrong...

NO it uses DX11 hardware,and the whole comment is because in reality DX12 is mostly console like optimization on PC so sure they knew what DX12 was doing when they build the xbox one because DX12 is basically the xbox one api ported to PC with a few new things.

@delta3074 said:

Phil spencer never said it would do nothing for the Xbox, he said it would not be Dramatic but games that use DX12 will be improved on the xbone.

And NOT ONE developer has said DX12 will do nothing for the Xbone.

A jump from 720p to 1080p is a dramatic jump.

Now before saying anything more Please link me to actual proof not developer crap or empty claims i want proves where are they show me DX11.X vs Dx12 on a non controller environment.

@delta3074 said:

In fact he doesn't say it will do anything other help the xbox one with things the xbox one is good at,so what is the xbox one good at 720p and 900p.? lower detail and lower frames.?

@04dcarraher said:

Only idiots deny what DX12 is fixing, and what it allows even for the PS4 with multiplats.

Only blind fanboys believe DX12 will do anything for the wimp xbox one GPU,but but but all cores for rendering yeah when he GPU you use to render is a piece of crap there is no point in that.

The PS4 doesn't use DX12.

@bunchanumbers said:

It will be funny if DX12 and Cloud assisted gaming makes the Xbox One into a power house over PS4.

Oh brother...lol

@04dcarraher said:

....... Sony's 1080p unofficial mandate on the PS4 is part of the problem.

That common coding model is main reason why with the Witcher 3 we see the PS4 fps drop badly. PS4 cpu cant feed its stronger gpu with the data it needs. The Witcher 3 uses deferred multithreading on all platforms, deferred means that a single core is the funnel for the other cores/threads handling the 2nd priority gpu workloads.

Link to where sony state 1080p is a most on PS4.

Day 1.

BF4 and it uses asyn shaders on PS4 and still is 900p,UFC 900p,watch dogs 900p,BFHL 900p there have been 900p games on PS4 there is no a mandate to be 1080p.

NO the witcher 3 is fu** up and was downgraded even on PC,that should tell you anything i love how fanboys like you hold tied to The witcher 3,what about Project Cars.?

1080p PS4 vs 900p on xbox one.

Up to 14 FPS faster on PS4

Temporal AA on PS4 non on xbox one.

Xbox one uses 7 CPU cores the 7th was enable by the developer own mouth to speed frames,still the PS4 with 6 cores is faster both version are deferred.

Holding tied to The witcher 3 is a joke in fact if CPU is the problem like you claim dropping to 900p would have no effect on performance since CPU over head problems are not solve with GPU cut measures,start encoding movies on your PC and doing other task and change the resolution your PC will not gain any CPU at all.

NO matter what Project Cars not only uses 7 cores of its CPU which the wicher 3 doesn't use that i know off,but if has a huge gap vs the xbox one version,after all in The wicher 3 the xbox one has a few frames more,while it has 40% lower pixel count,on Project Cars the xbox one not only is 40% lower in resolution,but has slower frames up to 14 FPS while also having more jaggies because it lack temporal AA as well,is pretty freaking big the gap and much bigger than The witcher,considering PC is also a GPU heavy game which will drop even strong GPU in 1080p well under 60FPS when many cars and weather effect are on i say the PS4 does a much better job feeding its GPU than the xbox one has feeding is one.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@blessedbyhorus: Spencer said it will not be some massive boost in performance. He never said "no improvement."

The only person who is saying "no improvement" is super fanboy @tormentos

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Reading this thread is like watching people running head first into a brickwall and thinking they are winning.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 tormentos

@ronvalencia said:
@GrenadeLauncher said:

Heard it all before. Still, nice to see lemmings cling to this straw to the bitter end.

"The reason he cited was because all Xbox Ones are the same where as PCs need to account for different drivers and other internal hardware that may have counter productive impacts." makes no sense too considering the Xbone already has the low-level API benefits that's being brought to PC.

But hey, I'll take what Spencer and countless other developers have said over one guy naval gazing.

Digital Foundry: To what extent will DX12 prove useful on Xbox One? Isn't there already a low CPU overhead there in addressing the GPU?

Oles Shishkovstov: No, it's important. All the dependency tracking takes a huge slice of CPU power. And if we are talking about the multi-threaded command buffer chunks generation - the DX11 model was essentially a 'flop', while DX12 should be the right one.

From http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metro-redux-what-its-really-like-to-make-a-multi-platform-game

XBO's current a low CPU overhead doesn't fix certain design issues.

The real low level access would be at the driver level where a programmer can dictate the multi-threading model e.g. AMD's programmers for Mantle driver changed the multi-threading model from DX11 style to DX12 style.

Hey Grenadelauncher what hypocrite ron isn't telling you is that on that same interview the developer admit to have tools to mitigate those problems he was talking about and he even confirm that MS did had a DX12 like API already on xbox one..Ronvalencia is a joke it will selectively quote what he like and use i over and over again hes quotes of Rebellion were legendary and when Sniper Elie 3 came out he banish for months because the xbox one version was 1080p but was up to 30FPS behind he PS4 one it was a joke...hahaha

DX12 is already on xbox one it has been since launch Forza 5 used bundles which is one of DX12 features another developer already confirmed most of DX12 features inside the xbox one are performance related he xbox one is even using 7 freaking cores of its CPU in a known racing game and still with 6 cores the PS4 smokes it..hahahaa

I just want 2018 to come soon so they can't stop saying DX12 is coming and drop the excuses.

@nyadc said:
@AzatiS said:

Stop the excuses , it is what it is.

Theres no why , who and what ... 16 fps is 16 fps like 19 fps is 19 fps. If someone should talk , definitly should not be lems about FPS , graphic fidelity or resolutions ... or all together because we all know what will happen to most games if they play on PS4 at X1s standards FPS wise. So please since we dont know whos fault is it , CDs or Sonys , dont jump to conclusions.

It's not an excuse, it's an explanation of fact, just as explaining The Witcher 3 on PlayStation 4 running like crap is due to a resolution the console hardware cannot handle for that specific game. Dead Rising 3 was an unoptimized launch game mess on admittedly difficult to develop for and experimental hardware with rudimentary SDK and tool sets.

Dead Rising 3 was the result of circumstance and poor optimization, not peak hardware limitations like The Witcher 3 on PlayStation 4.

The Witcher 3.

PS4 1080p sub 30FPS.

XBO 900p sub 30FPS.

Neither version is lock the xbox one runs a few frames faster and is not lock 30 either.

Project Cars.

XBO 900p uses 7 CPU cores.

PS4 1080p uses 6 CPU cores.

PS4 up to 14 FPS faster.

PS4 temporal AA no found on xbox one..

Now while you try to act like The witcher 3 is the biggest proof that the PS4 has problems with 1080p explain to me how PC is 1080p on PS4 and runs up to 14 FPS faser while also having extra temporal which would have hit he xbox one performance even more if on.

Any one using The witcher has to freaking explain to me Project Cars which is also GPU heavy,don't be hypocrites lemmings talk about Project Cars come one and how he PS4 gap there make the witcher one seem like nothing.

@nyadc said:

The PlayStation 4 didn't have FPS problems? Then what the **** is this?

The Xbox One is no Cell, however it's using eSRAM for the GPU frame buffer in conjunction with the DDR3 to negate the bandwidth limitations, this is something experimental. At the time of launch the SDK's were not that great and developers were not really familiar with coding for something like this, in other words it was difficult. The PlayStation 4 was considerably easier to code for, simple even, there is no alternative memory, it's just the GDDR5 so there was nothing to learn. On top of this Dead Rising 3 has hundreds of on screen AI, so the CPU demands were very high.

You're out of your element.

In relation to the Witcher 3 that's an easy answer, it's optimized properly, with properly optimized games the Xbox One at 900p should outperform any same multi-platform game that's running at 1080p on the PlayStation 4. The difference in resolution is more than the peak performance disparity between these consoles, thus at 900p the Xbox One will maintain a higher overall framerate than the PlayStation 4 at 1080p. For the Xbox One to echo the performance the PlayStation 4 is getting you would have to increase its rendering resolution to somewhere in the ballpark of 1650x930 or decrease the PlayStation 4's resolution to 1870x1050..

Nack is a shitty game done for launch,compare Infamous to Ryse go ahead 1080p vs 900p 30+ frames per seconds vs sub 30 with drops into the teens,open world vs ultra enclosed world where you can go no where but where the small path tell you to go.

Properly coded a 900p game on XBO should not mach a 1080p one on PS4,and we have more than enough proof,BF4,PC,Batman,and several others,hell COD Advanced warfare runs a few frames faster offline and lemming make a parade even that it had dynamic res on xbox one,online the game runs equal on both even that online uses more CPU time and the xbox one lock into 1360x1080p..lol

To what.? hhahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 1870x1050...lol

@ronvalencia said:

@aroxx_ab:

Most of the posters for XBO are hermits with a high end PC GPUs.

Most of the posters for xbox one are lemmings without gaming PC,and when you defend the xbox one more time than PC here you can't freaking be consider a hermit period you are a lemming.

Also owning a PC with a strong GPU doesn't prove that you are a hermit or know anything about PC there is some very delusional people here who think that because hey bough an expensive GPU hat prove they know everything about PC.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 delta3074

@tormentos said:
@delta3074 said:

Depends on what you call minor, according to you Cows Resolution and framerates are hugely important this gen so by Cow logic a 20+ percent increase in frames is actually not 'slight improvement'.

You are he first that should stop this crap.

20% over what.?

At what the game was running how many frames the game was running when they achieve this 20% 15FPS 20FPS 30FPS.?

20% of 30 frames would be 36 the end result,but if you are 20 yeah you get only 24 FPS the % is useless is an empty claim without a number as base,which is why DX12 winnings on xbox one are shit,and there isn't a single test or real number documenting it,which make it even more doubtful and obscure.

There isn't a single reason for a demo of DX12 to exist on pc and surface tables but not on xbox one which is where it started,other than the earning been to small to show period.

Lemming don't hold sh** hose claims have been as empty as your arguments have been,just like COD will be 1080p on xbox one only to be 720p when it launched and a developer claimed it would be 1080p,funny enough Barrage of developers have claim it will do little or that DX12 will not solve the xbox one problems but those are ignore.

NO it uses DX11 hardware,and the whole comment is because in reality DX12 is mostly console like optimization on PC so sure they knew what DX12

@delta3074 said:

In fact he doesn't say it will do anything other help the xbox one with things the xbox one is good at,so what is the xbox one good at 720p and 900p.? lower detail and lower frames.?

'Barrage of developers have claim it will do little or that DX12 will not solve the xbox one problems but those are ignore.'

Proof?

'but those are ignore.'

Yet you ignore every Developer that say it will do something for the Xbone, HYPOCRITE

'those claims have been as empty as your arguments have been'

My empty arguments? oh the Fucking Irony

Coming from the bloke who said that 'no proof was sometimes the best proof'

NO proof is NO proof mate, how can NO proof be the best proof?

Would love to hear your take on that one mate.

I didn't really care before what DX12 would do but i now Hope it does do something for the Xbone so your Oximorons and arguments of ignorance (Dx12 will do nothing because nobody said it would at an MS conference) will be exposed for what they are.

You need to take a long hard look in the mirror before you call other peoples arguments Empty

'

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By tormentos

@StormyJoe said:

@blessedbyhorus: Spencer said it will not be some massive boost in performance. He never said "no improvement."

He say no drastic change 720p to 1080p is a drastic change,which is what some PR making developers have claim more than once,and he claim DX12 will help the xbox one with hings the xbox one is good at,he didn't even claim it would help it performance wise.

So what is the xbox one good at Stormy.? 720p with less frames and detail.?

@ronvalencia said:

Oh so you find a new way to downplay the gap...hahahaaa

768 shader units vs 1152 shader units.

1152 - 31% = 794 pass the xbox one number.

so if anything it will be 69-68% of the PS4 power.

Yeah but with cumbersome hardware and not true HSA the CPU advantage mean nothing,as Project Cars proves.

The difference in texellation mean even less when it will impact the xbox one GPU more since it has to work more to try and stay close to the PS4,on frames resolution or both.

The PS4 has several games where it has higher resolution and better frames to and even extra AA.

@blackace said:
@worknow222 said:

Interesting *Grabs popcorn* now were tormentos at

Hiding under his Troll bridge trying to think up some lie after saying DX12 will do nothing on the XB1. lol!

This dev isn't Brad W. I'm going to sit back and wait for more devs to come out and make similar comments as the release of Win10/DX12 on the XB1 gets closer and closer.

Let the trolling begin.

Unlike you i don't banish from the forum,like you did this pass E3..hahaha

This developer say 20% without any number and without any benchmark so yeah i believe it as much as i believe this one on 2013..

Call of Duty: Ghosts runs at 1080p and 60fps on Xbox One and PS4

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-call-of-duty-ghosts-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4

And what did you say about that rumor.?

@blackace

LMAO!! TCHBO!! Again!!

Look at all the Damage Control coming from bias cows. It's hilarious.

The article is dated Oct 23rd. They are confirming that it's 1080P - 60fps by using a statement from EuroGamer back in June.

In any case, we'll wait for a confirmation from Infinity Ward themselves. They haven't confirmed the PS4 to be 1080P either. It's funny watching cows panicking on here. LOL!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/cod-on-xbox-one-will-run-at-1080p-60fps-30875337/?page=2

Hahahaaa but but but the developer say it cows have been owned again...lol You are joke dude now get back to your NyaDC account...lol

The funny things is seeing Ronvalencia defending the 1080p crap there to,Lundy flaming me and others and in the end i was right...but but but Tormentos is never right...

@ronvalencia

IW already stated 1080p for both consoles. Why should IW continually counter some CBOAT statement? This CBOAT person needs to be fired i.e. the likes CBOAT makes a mockery of signed NDAs.

Hahahahaa This is the guy that is never wrong...

@ronvalencia said:

No, there's no real substance with your innuendos. Your manufacturing innuendos that supports your conclusions.

COD-G 720p for X1 is a rumour which directly conflicts with IW's 1080p for both consoles statement.

I have already stated reduced graphic details** if Box 1 is weaker than Box 2 when both boxes target similar resolutions and frame rates.

**It depends if the game is heavily CU bound.

Hahahahaa many lemmings make fool of them self on that thread...

DX12 will do nothing until proof is presented i just PR as of now.

@blackace said:

Knack ran at 14fps and that's a less taxing game then DR3. lol!! You cows are funny.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/knack-frame-rate-drops-to-the-low-teens-14fps-30932555/

Yeah that prove it the xbox one is stronger..hahahaaaaaaaaaaa

@delta3074 said:

you are either being willfully ignorant or you have the reading comprehension of a 2 year old, either way, makes no Matter to me , you carry on with your childish responses if you like, you want to look a fool then carry on, by all means, don't let me get in the way of your little temper tantrum mate.

Oh you were on that call of duty thread as well like always down playing what i say funny enough lack of confirmation of COD ghost by MS was the biggest point which you claim with DX12 is not proof when in reality it was,don't you freaking think that if MS really had a good performance boost from DX12 it would not have show it 100 times.?

Again you are to naive dude really DX12 is nothing but PR on xbox one.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By ronvalencia

@tormentos:

My R9-290X has 44 CUs at 1040Mhz with 5.857 TFLOPS hence the difference between the toy boxes are minor.

Tormented's math skillz failure.

I'm not a tel·e·path e.g. IW claims X then it's X until proven otherwise i.e. change of plans or missed the target.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-04-xbox-one-resolutiongate-call-of-duty-ghosts-dev-infinity-ward-responds

Mark Rubin: In a way. I don't know if I can point to one particular cause. Early on, we didn't know where exactly the resolution of anything would fall because we didn't have hardware or the software to support it. We tried to focus in on 1080p, and if we felt like we were on borderline of performance somewhere... We tried to make the best decision for each platform that gives you the best-looking game we could get and maintains that 60 frames a second.

There's no specific, oh, well, the VO chat on Xbox took up so much resources that we couldn't do 1080p native. There's no definitive one to one per se cause and effect. It's just an overall thing. We took each system individually and said, 'okay, let's make the best game for each system.'

I think both look great. Some people might notice if they had them right next to each other. Some people might not. The Xbox One is 1080p output, it's just upscaled hardware wise.

It was a late decision, too. That call wasn't made until a month ago.

Mark Rubin: It's very possible we can get it to native 1080p. I mean I've seen it working at 1080p native. It's just we couldn't get the frame rate in the neighbourhood we wanted it to be.

Notice

**It depends if the game is heavily CU bound. I have my doubts with IW claim i.e. unlike you, I focused on the middle ground view points.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-03-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-xbox-one-resolution-is-1360x1080

In 2014, COD AW XBO build has reached 1360x1080p with resolution dynamically scales up to full 1920x1080p.

Many Cows make fool of them self on that thread...

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Just you wait for da powwa of da clowd, cows!

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@tormentos said:
@StormyJoe said:

He say no drastic change 720p to 1080p is a drastic change,which is what some PR making developers have claim more than once,and he claim DX12 will help the xbox one with hings the xbox one is good at,he didn't even claim it would help it performance wise.

So what is the xbox one good at Stormy.? 720p with less frames and detail.?

First off, most Xb1 games are 900p right now. Second, 900p to 1080p is not a drastic change.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

@tormentos: I was awaiting your Project Cars comparison, and you didn't disappoint. Your whole basis for the PS4's superiority basically boils down to your one comparison regarding PC.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By ronvalencia

@tormentos said:

Hey Grenadelauncher what hypocrite ron isn't telling you is that on that same interview the developer admit to have tools to mitigate those problems he was talking about and he even confirm that MS did had a DX12 like API already on xbox one..Ronvalencia is a joke it will selectively quote what he like and use i over and over again hes quotes of Rebellion were legendary and when Sniper Elie 3 came out he banish for months because the xbox one version was 1080p but was up to 30FPS behind he PS4 one it was a joke...hahaha

DX12 is already on xbox one it has been since launch Forza 5 used bundles which is one of DX12 features another developer already confirmed most of DX12 features inside the xbox one are performance related he xbox one is even using 7 freaking cores of its CPU in a known racing game and still with 6 cores the PS4 smokes it..hahahaa

I just want 2018 to come soon so they can't stop saying DX12 is coming and drop the excuses.

BULLSHIT. The only hypocrite is you. Low CPU overhead doesn't equal multi-threading model you stupid fool. You can't even do basic math currently.

Digital Foundry: To what extent will DX12 prove useful on Xbox One? Isn't there already a low CPU overhead there in addressing the GPU?

Oles Shishkovstov: No, it's important. All the dependency tracking takes a huge slice of CPU power. And if we are talking about the multi-threaded command buffer chunks generation - the DX11 model was essentially a 'flop', while DX12 should be the right one.

Oles Shishkovstov's interpretation exceeds your interpretation i.e. low CPU overhead = DX12 multi-threading model.

Zero Aync shader with XBO. F&ckoff little punk.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 ronvalencia
@babyjoker1221 said:

@tormentos: I was awaiting your Project Cars comparison, and you didn't disappoint. Your whole basis for the PS4's superiority basically boils down to your one comparison regarding PC.

Tormented PC's i3 vs i5 benchmarks argument is a red herring for console's GPU potential.

@tormentos said:

BULLSHIT. The only hypocrite is you.

Oles Shishkovstov's interpretation exceeds your interpretation.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By tormentos

@ronvalencia said:

@tormentos:

My R9-290X has 44 CUs at 1040Mhz with 5.857 TFLOPS hence the difference between the toy boxes are minor.

Tormented's math skillz. Many Cows make fool of them self on that thread...

I'm not a tel·e·path e.g. IW claims X then it's X until proven otherwise i.e. change of plans or missed the target.

Notice

**It depends if the game is heavily CU bound. I have my doubts with IW claim i.e. unlike you, I focused on the middle ground view points.

You didn't have shit dude it was pretty obvious what you were doing and you claim lower detail.

You not only argue with me but with other member on that thread and your argument was IW confirmed 1080p

@ronvalencia said:

The source Eurogamer link doesn't have the above claim..

From http://www.oxm.co.uk/64778/call-of-duty-ghosts-has-fantastic-graphics-on-xbox-one-reiterates-infinity-ward/

As revealed by Eurogamer in June, the game runs at 60 frames per second in 1080p. "We actually have a 4K TV at work and got the game running on that," Rubin told the site at the time. "It looks phenomenal. The 4K TVs have a max hertz of 30, so we're maxing it out. It looks amazing!"

Your text doesn't exist in http://www.oxm.co.uk/64778/call-of-duty-ghosts-has-fantastic-graphics-on-xbox-one-reiterates-infinity-ward/ link

Being silent doesn't automatically equals 720p.

Again, you missed my post's context. I was replying against the following claim by danbo

"As revealed by Eurogamer in June, the game runs at 60 frames per second in 1080p, upscaled from 720p on the Xbox One. "We actually have a 4K TV at work and got the game running on that," Rubin told the site at the time. "It looks phenomenal. The 4K TVs have a max hertz of 30, so we're maxing it out. It looks amazing!""

The statement above DOES NOT exist in the original http://www.oxm.co.uk/64778/call-of-duty-ghosts-has-fantastic-graphics-on-xbox-one-reiterates-infinity-ward link

The original text is as follows

As revealed by Eurogamer in June, the game runs at 60 frames per second in 1080p. "We actually have a 4K TV at work and got the game running on that," Rubin told the site at the time. "It looks phenomenal. The 4K TVs have a max hertz of 30, so we're maxing it out. It looks amazing!"

-------

OXM's article doesn't negate http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-call-of-duty-ghosts-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4

I don't care about innuendos BS. Your innuendos BS doesn't prove sh**.

From http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-call-of-duty-ghosts-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4

IW already stated 1080p for both next-gen consoles.

PS; It would be LOL episode if Wii U's CoDG has 1280x720p.

No, there's no real substance with your innuendos. Your manufacturing innuendos that supports your conclusions.

COD-G 720p for X1 is a rumour which directly conflicts with IW's 1080p for both consoles statement.

I have already stated reduced graphic details** if Box 1 is weaker than Box 2 when both boxes target similar resolutions and frame rates.

**It depends if the game is heavily CU bound. Reduced graphic details can involve swapping high quality effects with lower quality version i.e. the core experience would be the same but with some differences.

No your were pretty sure it would be 1080p and this are some of the quotes on that thread not all of them you try to downplay the 720p claims using that thread which used old info you are a joke what you wrote is you can't escape it joke of a poster.

@delta3074 said:

'Barrage of developers have claim it will do little or that DX12 will not solve the xbox one problems but those are ignore.'

Proof?

'but those are ignore.'

Yet you ignore every Developer that say it will do something for the Xbone, HYPOCRITE

'those claims have been as empty as your arguments have been'

My empty arguments? oh the Fucking Irony

Coming from the bloke who said that 'no proof was sometimes the best proof'

NO proof is NO proof mate, how can NO proof be the best proof?

Would love to hear your take on that one mate.

I didn't really care before what DX12 would do but i now Hope it does do something for the Xbone so your Oximorons and arguments of ignorance (Dx12 will do nothing because nobody said it would at an MS conference) will be exposed for what they are.

You need to take a long hard look in the mirror before you call other peoples arguments Empty

'

“I think there is a lot of confusion around what and why DX12 will improve. Most games out there can’t go 1080p because the additional load on the shading units would be too much. For all these games DX12 is not going to change anything,” Balazs explains. However he thinks that DX12 may allow to push more triangles but again developers won’t be able to shade them.

“They might be able to push more triangles to the GPU but they are not going to be able to shade them, which defeats the purpose.

http://gamingbolt.com/dx12-wont-change-xbox-ones-1080p-issue-but-devs-will-be-able-to-push-more-triangles-witcher-3-dev#wgaomBDPRJsAljJ5.99

Served.

What developers most of claims are tied to Brad wardel.

Really maybe you should look at the call of duty ghost thread i linked MS neither IW wanted to confirm 1080p on xbox one the lack of confirmation and the rumors where the biggest give away and it ended been 720p it happen before lack of comments or proof is some times the best giveaway but you are to naive just like you were on the cod thread as well...but but but rumors..

DX12 will do nothing because most of what it brings is already on xbox one i already did several threads proving it,lack of any proof is the biggest here only a bunch of fanboys will believe an API will double performance on a crappy GPU.

This one is getting bookmark as well for future reference.hahahaah

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@babyjoker1221 said:

I was awaiting your Project Cars comparison, and you didn't disappoint. Your whole basis for the PS4's superiority basically boils down to your one comparison regarding PC.

lol and its a flawed argument at that..... comparing dual core vs an quad core

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By ronvalencia

@tormentos said:

You didn't have shit dude it was pretty obvious what you were doing and you claim lower detail.

You not only argue with me but with other member on that thread and your argument was IW confirmed 1080p

Again, you missed my post's context. I was replying against the following claim by danbo

"As revealed by Eurogamer in June, the game runs at 60 frames per second in 1080p, upscaled from 720p on the Xbox One. "We actually have a 4K TV at work and got the game running on that," Rubin told the site at the time. "It looks phenomenal. The 4K TVs have a max hertz of 30, so we're maxing it out. It looks amazing!""

The statement above DOES NOT exist in the original http://www.oxm.co.uk/64778/call-of-duty-ghosts-has-fantastic-graphics-on-xbox-one-reiterates-infinity-ward link

The original text is as follows

-------

OXM's article doesn't negate http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-call-of-duty-ghosts-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4

OXM's article was based IW's internal goals.

Mark Rubin: It's very possible we can get it to native 1080p. I mean I've seen it working at 1080p native. It's just we couldn't get the frame rate in the neighbourhood we wanted it to be.

When this comment was made i.e

http://gamingbolt.com/dx12-wont-change-xbox-ones-1080p-issue-but-devs-will-be-able-to-push-more-triangles-witcher-3-dev#wgaomBDPRJsAljJ5.99

they haven't tried DX12.

Lower detail covers the following

1. less pixels = less detail <------------------ Try again clown.

2. simpler shader programs = less detail

You still have math skill issues.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

Tormentos pulling all the stops out in this thread. Regurgitating old posts from years ago regarding COD Ghosts. Someone's trying to steer the conversation off topic it seems...

That's to be expected though with tormentos. As soon as he gets destroyed on one topic, he quickly diverts the conversation elswhere.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#148 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Here is an article about DX12 benchmark tests on PC IGN just posted.....results are very promising, no mention of Xbox One but who knows , I'm just keeping an open mind that is all

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2015/08/17/first-look-at-directx-12-benchmark-results

When Windows 10 launched on July 29th, it also heralded the arrival of DirectX 12. Microsoft, AMD and Nvidia have been touting the API's benefits for months now, saying it would be up to 20 percent faster and act like a free hardware upgrade for PC gamers. But is it truly faster than DirectX 11?

Sadly, we'll have to wait a bit longer to get the full story, since there aren't any DirectX 12 games that'll ship before the end of 2015. However, today we can report on the results of one test that uses an actual real-world game engine: Stardock shared with us an alpha DX12 test build of its upcoming RTS game, Ashes of the Singularity. It supports both DirectX 12 and older versions of DirectX (depending on your hardware), which allowed us to test both DX11 and DX12 on the same system back-to-back.

Before we get to the numbers, keep in mind that this is a test build that is labeled as "pre-beta," so things could change by the time it reaches its final stage. Also, if you're not familiar with the buzz surrounding DX12, the main reason it’s causing a stir is because it has several new features designed to boost gaming performance over DX11 (in addition to visual improvements). First, it will allow a much lower-level of hardware optimization for developers, so they can get a bit “closer to the metal” as opposed to being limited by the type of high-level optimizations found in DirectX 11. Second, it should be better able to dish orders to multi-core CPUs, which should allow the CPU to be less of a bottleneck in most scenarios.

DX12 will also at some point in the future allow GPUs from different manufacturers to work together, such as integrated Intel graphics and a discrete GPU. (We highly doubt it will ever be possible to run an Nvidia GPU and an AMD GPU together though, so don't get your hopes up for that.) Also, it’s unclear at this time how this technology will be implemented, and how it will affect performance. When DirectX 12 games land, your results will vary based on your hardware and the game in question, so don’t take anything you read and assume it'll apply to your setup. For these tests, we used a reference Nvidia GTX 980 Ti GPU on an Intel Core i7-4790K CPU running the latest Nvidia 355.60 drivers.

As you can see from the charts, there actually was a decent boost in performance going from DX12 to DX11, so maybe we can believe some of the marketing boasts. We saw just a small bump in the Normal and Medium batch runs, but a large improvement in the Heavy batches, which Stardock says is the best for measuring DX12 performance since it is the most stressful. In our tests we got a 20 percent improvement in framerate running the Heavy batch in DX12 (versus DX11), so it sounds like Microsoft was right on the money with its prediction. This is quite impressive since the only thing that changed between tests was the API.

Even more notable were the scores delivered in the 3DMark API Overhead test, where the number of draw calls went from 2.6 million using DirectX 11 to over 16 million with DirectX 12. That's crazy, but since this is purely a synthetic test, it's difficult to say whether it would actually boost framerates by the same margin in a shipping title. We'll have to wait for the holidays, when DX12 titles begin to arrive, to find that out.

Overall, DirectX 12 is looking pretty sweet at this early stage, and it adds extra incentive for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users to take advantage of their free upgrade to Windows 10. If you’re wondering whether your GPU supports DX12, as long as it’s a GCN-based Radeon 7000 or newer card you’re good to go. If you’re rocking an Nvidia card, everything from Fermi onward is supported, meaning GTX 400, 500, 600, 700, and 900 series will work just fine.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Heil68

@delta3074 said:
@Heil68 said:
@delta3074 said:
@Heil68 said:

Dreams CRUSHED.

Thanks Phil

Thanks MS

Well PS4 is current gen 8 leader, partly due to the 40% extra power over X1. Even Phil himself said DX12 wont make up for that,

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Heil68

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@delta3074: The initial claim of power was made and people just took off with it. Once this loser corrected himself our wonderful biased gaming media wasn't as quick to promote the correction. The whole 65-50% more powerful became burned into everyone's brain. Brainwashed brains that is.

Yea I was wrong, I admit it. Ps4 is actually 40% more powerful. I'll adjust future posts. Good day m8.