deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

Okay... I don't get it. Will Dx12 be helping the Xbox One or not? Because I keep hearing varying views. Spencer saying it wont do jack while devs saying it will help the Xbox One a lot. Which one is it?

http://www.gamezone.com/news/dx12-adding-20-performance-increase-on-pc-even-more-on-xbox-one-3423420

Gamezone had the privilege to sit down and speak with Dylan Browne of Incandescent Imaging about their upcoming game Caffeine. It's a first person, exploration horror game based in puzzles that is in development for PC, Xbox One and PS4. Development initially began in 2014 on Unreal Engine 3 but Mr. Browne has since moved to Unreal Engine 4. During our conversation, we spoke of the game's inspiration, gameplay setup, background as well as any developmental problems that have arisen so far.

We asked Mr. Browne if he has seen any changes performance wise on PC and Xbox One with the addition of DX12, and his answer was actually quite surprising.

"Oh it should help a lot. I've been in the DirectX 12 developer program for a while. So, I've been playing around with a lot of those builds of Unreal Engine and seeing how they play out. Usually you're seeing a 20-ish% performance increase in most cases. So it definitely boosts the FPS which would allow to increase, especially on Xbox, which is a little more underpowered obviously than you're PS4".

Mr. Browne continued, "On Xbox, it might allow me to do things like have the soft chatters that I have on PC which I didn't originally enable when I started to port to Xbox mainly because it was cut out due to performance, but it performs pretty well. I could actually probably enable them on the current build but when I get a Direct X12 build I'll be looking into more ways to up the resolution and things like that".

I clarified and asked "When you say 20% you mean 20% increase in FPS?" His response -- "Yes, yeah".

The 20% increase he mentioned was also only for PC, with the Xbox One seeing a higher percentage. The reason he cited was because all Xbox Ones are the same where as PCs need to account for different drivers and other internal hardware that may have counter productive impacts.

Caffeine is currently due out for PC in three different segments with part one being released by the end of the year. Console versions for PS4 and Xbox One will most likely be in 2016. The full transcription of the interview will be up soon, but either way whether you are a fan of either system PS4 or Xbox One, it's good to see the industry in general improving.

ttboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ttboy
Member since 2003 • 532 Posts

@blessedbyhorus: This is not going to end well. Its good you posted this in the dead of night. I would almost pay to see the reaction in these forums if this were true..

Its strange Phil has not talked about DX12 on Xbox One since earlier in the year. Win 10 is almost here so he will have to say something in a couple months....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@ttboy said:

@blessedbyhorus: This is not going to end well. Its good you posted this in the dead of night. I would almost pay to see the reaction in these forums if this were true..

Its strange Phil has not talked about DX12 on Xbox One since earlier in the year. Win 10 is almost here so he will have to say something in a couple months....

Glad you caught on... :)

I purposedly posted this at the dead of night to avoid the usually fanboy flame wars.

Anyways... Yeah I found it strange too that Spencer has not talked about Dx12 earlier this year and not at E3 or Gamescom. Either Dx12 wont do jack sh*t for the X1 or... Spencer has a BIG surprise waiting. Its either of the two.

ttboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ttboy

@blessedbyhorus said:
@ttboy said:

I purposedly posted this at the dead of night to avoid the usually fanboy flame wars.

Anyways... Yeah I found it strange too that Spencer has not talked about Dx12 earlier this year and not at E3 or Gamescom. Either Dx12 wont do jack sh*t for the X1 or... Spencer has a BIG surprise waiting. Its either of the two.

If DX12 does nothing for the Xbox then Phil has to be the dumbest executive that I've seen in a long time.

In the morning bring a flame shield ... Tormentos will have another break down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@ttboy said:
@blessedbyhorus said:
@ttboy said:

If DX12 does nothing for the Xbox then Phil has to be the dumbest executive that I've seen in a long time.

Why you say that?

Anyways But with MS these days with their crazy coding and software skills... I wouldn't be surprise is Dx12 is able to up the Xbox One's performance. And yeah my flame shield will definitely be up.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

The reason Phil says and is correct that Dx12 will not hardly help Xbox One is cause the Xbox One has been struggling on games cause of its shaders on its gaphics card. PS4 has more shaders and can handle more graphical games a little better. Dx12 will not help the shaders so will not be of much use to the Xbox One.

Only thing they can do is optimize the game for Xbox One and make it look the best they can.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Well..those devs are making a small scale game on licensed engine. Meanwhile Stardock guys say DX12 brings 400-500% boost in performance on PC, but they're making their own engine and using it for games with huge maps and dozens of thousands independent units on screen.

So the difference will probably depend on what kind of game you're making. Regular multiplats/console styled titles will probably see small boost, while typical PC genres like strategy, simulation or MMOs will benefit far more from DX12

ttboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ttboy

@blessedbyhorus said:
@ttboy said:
@blessedbyhorus said:
@ttboy said:

Why you say that?

Anyways But with MS these days with their crazy coding and software skills... I wouldn't be surprise is Dx12 is able to up the Xbox One's performance. And yeah my flame shield will definitely be up.

Because in management you always manage expectations... He hasn't really done that which is why there is so much speculation. If it really does nothing he could have his Dev teams come out and say it in a more technical manner. He has purposely let it be ambiguous.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2192 Posts

He is a lyer. Stating that Xbox One is little more underpowered compare to ps4 gave him away. That is the biggest lie in the industry.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ellos said:

He is a lyer.

seems legit

worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 worknow222
Member since 2007 • 1813 Posts

Interesting *Grabs popcorn* now were tormentos at

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts
@ellos said:

He is a lyer. Stating that Xbox One is little more underpowered compare to ps4 gave him away. That is the biggest lie in the industry.

wat

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The only thing that will help Xbox One is Xbox Two.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@silversix_ said:

better than power point 4 running witcher 3 at 20 fps on low

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_

@-God- said:
@silversix_ said:

Buddha is better, sorry.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NyaDC

@-God- said:
@silversix_ said:

ouch, it actually drops to 19 FPS during the DF video...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_

@nyadc said:
@-God- said:
@silversix_ said:

are you telling me that it drops from 20fps to 19fps? oh mai gawd

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NyaDC
@silversix_ said:
@nyadc said:
@-God- said:
@silversix_ said:

It's operating at 19 FPS, that's a slide show, you can perceive independent frames... I shouldn't have to tell you how pathetic that is...

I don't know who is responsible, probably Sony, but recklessly forcing 1080p on the PlayStation 4 for games that the hardware clearly can't handle has been one of the most idiotic attempts to maintain an image I have ever seen...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 28995 Posts

@ellos said:

The only lie is your post. XBO has 71 percent of PS4's 1.84 TFLOPS, hence XBO little more under-powered when compared PS4

My Radeon HD R9-290X at 1.040Ghz factory overclocked yields ~5.86 TFLOPS i.e. 10Mhz from R9-390X's 1.050 Ghz reference.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 3887 Posts

If you listen closely, ...you can hear the hooves.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 silversix_

@nyadc said:
@silversix_ said:
@nyadc said:
@-God- said:
@silversix_ said:

It's operating at 19 FPS, that's a slide show, you can perceive independent frames... I shouldn't have to tell you how pathetic that is...

I don't know who is responsible, probably Sony, but recklessly forcing 1080p on the PlayStation 4 for games that the hardware clearly can't handle has been one of the most idiotic attempts to maintain an image I have ever seen...

you of all the people should know how that is after DR3 ran at 16fps.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ronvalencia

@mesome713 said:

The reason Phil says and is correct that Dx12 will not hardly help Xbox One is cause the Xbox One has been struggling on games cause of its shaders on its gaphics card. PS4 has more shaders and can handle more graphical games a little better. Dx12 will not help the shaders so will not be of much use to the Xbox One.

Only thing they can do is optimize the game for Xbox One and make it look the best they can.

DX12's full featured Async shaders maximizes unused shader resource for XBO i.e. during CPU side command list generation, the GPU will be sitting idle.

There's only a few titles that used Async shaders.

For Async shaders usage, it's barren wasteland for XBO.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Heard it all before. Still, nice to see lemmings cling to this straw to the bitter end.

"The reason he cited was because all Xbox Ones are the same where as PCs need to account for different drivers and other internal hardware that may have counter productive impacts." makes no sense too considering the Xbone already has the low-level API benefits that's being brought to PC.

But hey, I'll take what Spencer and countless other developers have said over one guy naval gazing.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NyaDC

@silversix_ said:
@nyadc said:
@silversix_ said:
@nyadc said:
@-God- said:
@silversix_ said:

A launch game from nearly two years ago when coding was still largely foreign for that console, eSRAM was something new and SDK tools were not that great. Since you're on the topic of launch games, Knack had drops to as low 14 FPS and its system of origin was easy to code for from day one.

How many cases like that have you seen on the Xbox One since? Stop trying to divert the point, this is unacceptable forced image buffing to maintain the PlayStation 4 as a 1080p machine when in a stacking amount of cases, it can't handle it.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ronvalencia
@GrenadeLauncher said:

Heard it all before. Still, nice to see lemmings cling to this straw to the bitter end.

"The reason he cited was because all Xbox Ones are the same where as PCs need to account for different drivers and other internal hardware that may have counter productive impacts." makes no sense too considering the Xbone already has the low-level API benefits that's being brought to PC.

But hey, I'll take what Spencer and countless other developers have said over one guy naval gazing.

Digital Foundry: To what extent will DX12 prove useful on Xbox One? Isn't there already a low CPU overhead there in addressing the GPU?

Oles Shishkovstov: No, it's important. All the dependency tracking takes a huge slice of CPU power. And if we are talking about the multi-threaded command buffer chunks generation - the DX11 model was essentially a 'flop', while DX12 should be the right one.

From http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metro-redux-what-its-really-like-to-make-a-multi-platform-game

XBO's current a low CPU overhead doesn't fix certain design issues.

The real low level access would be at the driver level where a programmer can dictate the multi-threading model e.g. AMD's programmers for Mantle driver changed the multi-threading model from DX11 style to DX12 style.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5777 Posts

Tormentos will have a seizure when he sees the thread title.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GrenadeLauncher

Sorry lems, dem cores are already being used. Whatever benefit there is will be minimal.

There's a reason why Spencer doesn't talk about DX12 on Xbone despite not having to account for different drivers and other internal hardware that may have counter productive impacts - because it's not going to save the Xbone.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ronvalencia
@GrenadeLauncher said:

Sorry lems, dem cores are already being used. Whatever benefit there is will be minimal.

There's a reason why Spencer doesn't talk about DX12 on Xbone despite not having to account for different drivers and other internal hardware that may have counter productive impacts - because it's not going to save the Xbone.

Spencer is just a marketing person not a programmer that used DirectX12 XBO for Unreal Engine 4.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GrenadeLauncher

@ronvalencia said:

Spencer is just a marketing person not a programmer that used DirectX12 XBO for Unreal Engine 4.

Easier porting and slightly better performance as expected from an SDK update. It will not save the Xbone.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NyaDC
@GrenadeLauncher said:

You don't seem to understand CPU utilization in regards to games, even if a game is multi-threaded and spanning usage on all available cores it's not going to be using 100%, that just doesn't happen. It will be in the range of 15-60% at most on each core, there's a ton of available resources there that games just can't make use of.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ronvalencia
@GrenadeLauncher said:
@ronvalencia said:

Easier porting and slightly better performance as expected from an SDK update. It will not save the Xbone.

Digital Foundry: To what extent will DX12 prove useful on Xbox One? Isn't there already a low CPU overhead there in addressing the GPU?

Oles Shishkovstov: No, it's important. All the dependency tracking takes a huge slice of CPU power. And if we are talking about the multi-threaded command buffer chunks generation - the DX11 model was essentially a 'flop', while DX12 should be the right one.

DX11 multi-threading model

Xbox 360's multi-threading model with a single rendering thread.

Xbox 360's multi-threading model with a single rendering thread model.

Prior to DX12, Microsoft has NOT changed the multi-threading model since Xbox 360!

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GrenadeLauncher

Keep at it, lems, despite 18 months of reality slapping you in the face. Dat DX12 sekrit sauce isn't saving the Shitbox Done.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ronvalencia

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Keep at it, lems, despite 18 months of reality slapping you in the face. Dat DX12 sekrit sauce isn't saving the Shitbox Done.

The only shit is your post.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NyaDC

@ronvalencia said:
@GrenadeLauncher said:

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GrenadeLauncher

@ronvalencia said:
@GrenadeLauncher said:

That's in countless threads about DX12 which you and countless other lems have done your duty only to end up being embarrassed time and time again. This will be another one.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ronvalencia

@GrenadeLauncher said:
@ronvalencia said:
@GrenadeLauncher said:

That's in countless threads about DX12 which you and countless other lems have done your duty only to end up being embarrassed time and time again. This will be another one.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-hits-xbox-one-november-directx-12-tow

Microsoft has revealed more about how Windows 10 will work with Xbox One. The presentation at Gamescom 2015 revealed some partnerships, and showed off the power of DirectX 12 running on the console. The company also revealed that Windows 10 would come to the Xbox in November.

Normal XBO users obtains their copy of "Windows 10" XBox edition in November 2015.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@nyadc said:
@silversix_ said:
@nyadc said:
@silversix_ said:

A launch game from nearly two years ago when coding was still largely foreign for that console, eSRAM was something new and SDK tools were not that great. Since you're on the topic of launch games, Knack had drops to as low 14 FPS and its system of origin was easy to code for from day one.

How many cases like that have you seen on the Xbox One since? Stop trying to divert the point, this is unacceptable forced image buffing to maintain the PlayStation 4 as a 1080p machine when in a stacking amount of cases, it can't handle it.

Stop the excuses , it is what it is.

Theres no why , who and what ... 16 fps is 16 fps like 19 fps is 19 fps. If someone should talk , definitly should not be lems about FPS , graphic fidelity or resolutions ... or all together because we all know what will happen to most games if they play on PS4 at X1s standards FPS wise. So please since we dont know whos fault is it , CDs or Sonys , dont jump to conclusions.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2192 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@ellos said:

The only lie is your post. XBO has 71 percent of PS4's 1.84 TFLOPS, hence XBO little more under-powered when compared PS4

My Radeon HD R9-290X at 1.040Ghz factory overclocked yields ~5.86 TFLOPS i.e. 10Mhz from R9-390X's 1.050 Ghz reference.

post meant to be a sarcasm on the argument that was to come on threads like these. a play on both side. You cant call him a lyer if he states that dx12 is helping perfomance with his game for xboxone. You also cannot run around calling what he stated there about ps4 and xboxone as lie as some will try to.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NyaDC
@AzatiS said:

Theres no why , who and what ... 16 fps is 16 fps like 19 fps is 19 fps. If someone should talk , definitly should not be lems about FPS , graphic fidelity or resolutions ... or all together because we all know what will happen to most games if they play on PS4 at X1s standards FPS wise. So please since we dont know whos fault is it , CDs or Sonys , dont jump to conclusions.

It's not an excuse, it's an explanation of fact, just as explaining The Witcher 3 on PlayStation 4 running like crap is due to a resolution the console hardware cannot handle for that specific game. Dead Rising 3 was an unoptimized launch game mess on admittedly difficult to develop for and experimental hardware with rudimentary SDK and tool sets.

Dead Rising 3 was the result of circumstance and poor optimization, not peak hardware limitations like The Witcher 3 on PlayStation 4.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GrenadeLauncher

And now he's resorting to some Windows shill blog. Incredible scenes.

ralphikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ralphikari
Member since 2006 • 752 Posts

@nyadc said:
@AzatiS said:

It's not an excuse, it's an explanation of fact, just as explaining The Witcher 3 on PlayStation 4 running like crap is due to a resolution the console hardware cannot handle for that specific game. Dead Rising 3 was an unoptimized launch game mess on admittedly difficult to develop for and experimental hardware with rudimentary SDK and tool sets.

Dead Rising 3 was the result of circumstance and poor optimization, not peak hardware limitations like The Witcher 3 on PlayStation 4.

Dead Rising 3 was not fully developed by Capcom in-house. Part of the development was outsourced to a studio I worked for. Suffice it to say that I didn't like the quality of their work.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ronvalencia

@GrenadeLauncher:

The reverse can be said for you.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AzatiS

@nyadc said:
@AzatiS said:

Its not an explanation or fact when at the same time PS4s games didnt have FPS problems at the time ( or they had , i dont know but still no excuse for them either ) Theres no excuse also when developers were working in such well known environment. I would accept this excuse if consoles hardwares were nowhere near to what they are today , that of a PC that is

Theres nothing THAT hard to experiment like it was last gen or every gen before that. You sound like X1 has some sort of PS3 hardware or worse. No it hasnt and if its someones fault about DR3 mess is capcom , theres nothing experimental here to the degree of excusing such low fps , , because that excuse can work both ways.

And again you didnt answer my question. If by any means PS4 multiplatforms go down to X1s overall quality , do you have any idea what the FPS will be ? Also how are you so sure that for Witchers 3 fps drops the only reason is PS4 hardware and not something else CDs side related that wont be fixed soon or later with a patch or 2 ? We will see

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AzatiS

@ralphikari said:
@nyadc said:
@AzatiS said:

Dead Rising 3 was not fully developed by Capcom in-house. Part of the development was outsourced to a studio I worked for. Suffice it to say that I didn't like the quality of their work.

Whoever did that has no excuse , capcom or other parties. Developers were praising current console hardwares years before their release about how easy they can develop games with ... Well theres no excuse .

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NyaDC

@AzatiS said:
@nyadc said:
@AzatiS said:

Its not an explanation of fact when at the same time PS4s game didnt have FPS problems at the time. Theres no excuse also when developers were working in such well known environment. I would accept this excuse if consoles hardwares were nowhere near to what they are today , that of a PC that is.

Theres nothing THAT hard to experiment like it was last gen or every gen before that. You sound like X1 has some sort of PS3 hardware or worse. No it hasnt and if its someones fault about DR3 mess is capcom , theres nothing experimental here to the degree of excusing such low fps.

The PlayStation 4 didn't have FPS problems? Then what the **** is this?

The Xbox One is no Cell, however it's using eSRAM for the GPU frame buffer in conjunction with the DDR3 to negate the bandwidth limitations, this is something experimental. At the time of launch the SDK's were not that great and developers were not really familiar with coding for something like this, in other words it was difficult. The PlayStation 4 was considerably easier to code for, simple even, there is no alternative memory, it's just the GDDR5 so there was nothing to learn. On top of this Dead Rising 3 has hundreds of on screen AI, so the CPU demands were very high.

You're out of your element.

In relation to the Witcher 3 that's an easy answer, it's optimized properly, with properly optimized games the Xbox One at 900p should outperform any same multi-platform game that's running at 1080p on the PlayStation 4. The difference in resolution is more than the peak performance disparity between these consoles, thus at 900p the Xbox One will maintain a higher overall framerate than the PlayStation 4 at 1080p. For the Xbox One to echo the performance the PlayStation 4 is getting you would have to increase its rendering resolution to somewhere in the ballpark of 1650x930 or decrease the PlayStation 4's resolution to 1870x1050..

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ronvalencia

@AzatiS:

The selected X86 CPU in PS4 and X1 are not mainstream desktop X86 CPUs. They still need proper multi-threading usage to make the most of it.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Dx12 seems to help lemz sleep better at night no matter if it help xbox or not

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b883bb846c10

@ttboy said:
@blessedbyhorus said:
@ttboy said:
@blessedbyhorus said:
@ttboy said:

Why you say that?

Because in management you always manage expectations... He hasn't really done that which is why there is so much speculation. If it really does nothing he could have his Dev teams come out and say it in a more technical manner. He has purposely let it be ambiguous.

True.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ronvalencia

@aroxx_ab:

Most of the posters for XBO are hermits with a high end PC GPUs.