DX 12 Coming to XBOX One

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@tormentos said:

@ronvalencia said:

@tormentos:

Translating from DirectX 11 to PS4's APIs doesn't equal OpenGL e.g. Mantle is another graphics API. My eurogamer link includes extra information on the translation methods from DirectX to PS4's APIs.

For example

"Another key area of the game is its programmable pixel shaders. Reflections' experience suggests that the PlayStation Shader Language (PSSL) is very similar indeed to the HLSL standard in DirectX 11, with just subtle differences that were eliminated for the most part through pre-process macros and what O'Connor calls a "regex search and replace" for more complicated differences."

A C++ programmer would know pre-process macros and "regex search and replace" methods.

DirectX 12, AMD Mantle, X1's DirectX 11.X superset and PC's DirectX 11.2 supports MS HLSL.

AMD/Sony didn't care about OpenGL's GLSL and just decided to kit-bash MS HLSL.

Don't reply to me unless you read what i have posted..

Sorry i get confuse with Opengl is Libgnm.

Is the same sh** Opengl or LibGNM because non of the 2 are like DX period..

I have accuse you allot of times of just partially quoting what serve you best and ignore what it doesn't.

A lot of work was put into the move to the lower-level GNM, and in the process the tech team found out just how much work DirectX does in the background in terms of memory allocation and resource management. Moving to GNM meant that the developers had to take on the burden there themselves, as O'Connor explains:

From same article you are selectively quoting,DX make things easier for developers,GNM is not as easy and require DIY coding,Tomb Raider should have ported easier to the xbox one period because is DX,now the team with the harder work was the one with the PS4 version which had to make that code by them self rather than just porting it...

GNM work like Mantle which is why Tomb Raider on PS4 smoked the xbox one version even when the game is a DX game..

No don't reply to me with stupid things that have nothing to do with what i am saying,my point stand it was easier to do Tomb Raider on xbox one than on PS4,and DF agree on it so does Ubisoft..

Again, you are using quotes that doesn't show the extra details. My Eurogamer link shows specific conversion methods e.g. MS HLSL to PSSL conversion. I know how C++ "pre-process macros" and "regex search and replace" works.

You claimed PS4 having OpenGL which is NOT true. OpenGL is not the same sh** as GNMX/GNM.

OpenGL has Direct3D API run-time bridge for non-Windows OS. Valve's SteamOS includes it's own Direct3D-to-OpenGL bridge and OpenGL extensions that relates to Direct3D maps quite nicely.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/178276-valve-open-sources-its-directx-to-opengl-translation-software-here-come-the-steamos-and-linux-games

"The code, aptly named ToGL, was uploaded to GitHub by Valve developer Pierre-Loup A. Griffais — a fantastic name that he sadly abbreviates to Plagman. ToGL is taken straight from the Dota 2 source tree and supports a subset of Direct3D 9.0c, bytecode-level HLSL to GLSL (shader) translation, and some Shader Model 3 (SM3) support."

"There’s a performance hit, of course, but it’s small. (I’ve played Dota 2and Left 4 Dead 2 on OS X, and it runs just fine.)"