Dualshit 4 battery life is horrendous

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

Remember how everyone jumped on the DS4 bandwagon? Well the thumbsticks crumble after 2 weeks, the triggers still have that shitty spongy feel like the DS3, and the damn battery life on the controller completely sucks ass. Its loses charge after an hour and a half. And I think its because of that pointless light on the controller which serves no purpose besides for tracking for the PS camera which nobody uses.

Rant over, thanks.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (36894 posts) -

cool blog

#3 Edited by Doozie78 (1123 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

Remember how everyone jumped on the DS4 bandwagon? Well the thumbsticks crumble after 2 weeks, the triggers still have that shitty spongy feel like the DS3, and the damn battery life on the controller completely sucks ass. Its loses charge after an hour and a half. And I think its because of that pointless light on the controller which serves no purpose besides for tracking for the PS camera which nobody uses.

Rant over, thanks.

Wow, I've experienced none of this, I've found it to be a good controller with a great feel. The battery life could surely use a boost but it lasts a lot longer than 1.5 hours...more like 4 to 6 for me.

#4 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

poor lil' fella...

#5 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

and Xbone uses AA batteries rofl a console released at the end of 2013, worth half a grand using aa batteries hahahaha. MS is the best when it comes to joke engineering

#6 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

cool blog

#8 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

and Xbone uses AA batteries rofl a console released at the end of 2013, worth half a grand using aa batteries hahahaha. MS is the best when it comes to joke engineering

Who said anything about an xbox one? I don't have a ps4 and I don't have an xbox one. But since you brought it up.... I have been playing them at friends houses every once in a while. And What I noticed is that the Xbox one triggers are better than the DS4, and the battery has never once ran out while I was playing. I asked my friends how long does this battery last? His answer: About 2-3 weeks, I can also buy a play n charge kit and never have to buy batteries again.

After having to watch tv for 40 mins while the DS4 battery charges to maybe 50%, I would much rather spend $20 to charge my controller every 3 weeks.

the DS4 is shit. and this coming from a sony fan who had the ps1, ps2, and ps3.

#9 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@silversix_ said:

Yep, and when the batteries run out, you swap in new ones with no need to plug in your controller to a power source. Much better that way.

how dumb must you be to spend hundreds of dollars per generation buying batteries? You're forced to use a rechargeable pack which is +more $$$ and its bulky n heavy crap which may last 1h longer than DS4's batteries. Its great to be an Xbone owner lol

#10 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@farrell2k said:

@silversix_ said:

Yep, and when the batteries run out, you swap in new ones with no need to plug in your controller to a power source. Much better that way.

how dumb must you be to spend hundreds of dollars per generation buying batteries? You're forced to use a rechargeable pack which is +more $$$ and its bulky n heavy crap which may last 1h longer than DS4's batteries. Its great to be an Xbone owner lol

you must be a little boy who's sticking up for the console his mommy bought him, the X1 controller lasts for weeks without charging, the DS4 controller last for 2 hours. and the play n charge kit allows you to never buy batteries again. you charge it once every 2 weeks.

#11 Posted by R3FURBISHED (12379 posts) -

It isn't the best...probably cause of the flashlight.

#12 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Well that night light is important because it changes colors and shit

#13 Posted by MonsieurX (36894 posts) -

While the light bar (or LED's used) does add to the battery drainage to the DS4, keep in mind it's amperage draw on the battery is .08A. That's not enough to drain it as fast as many would think, it's actually very low. So that only leaves the notion that something else is adding to the power drain of the DS4 battery...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/GUIDE-Improve-Your-Dualshock-4-s-Battery-Life/td-p/43519980

#14 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

Rant over, thanks.

I'm kinda doubting you have a PS4 considering your name and your constant rants on here about PS4, you're a proven lem and this should've been blogged, but whatever helps you sleep better at night like how PS4 is still in first and Xbone is last.

#15 Posted by gago-gago (12018 posts) -

Is there a way to turn off the lights in front of the controller and is there suxasis on the DS4?

#16 Posted by Chutebox (43318 posts) -

Stop with the stupid threads.

#17 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@silversix_ said:

@farrell2k said:

@silversix_ said:

you must be a little boy who's sticking up for the console his mommy bought him

who told you that? I don't remember telling my deepest secret to anyone on SW. You must be just THAT good at imagination, very impressive. Also, x1 batteries lasting weeks LOL like seriously are you high with x1 batteries lasting weeks? Weeks hahaha yeah MS certainly does have the best engineers in the world, best lithium batteries are made by MS! You charge them once and they last you weeks if not months or even years! This is so great that i'll be buying an Xbone just for those amazing batteries because it is worth spending $400-500 to have batteries that last longer than 5h. Next gen is here, in 792p but its here. Jump In.

#18 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

While the light bar (or LED's used) does add to the battery drainage to the DS4, keep in mind it's amperage draw on the battery is .08A. That's not enough to drain it as fast as many would think, it's actually very low. So that only leaves the notion that something else is adding to the power drain of the DS4 battery...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/GUIDE-Improve-Your-Dualshock-4-s-Battery-Life/td-p/43519980

what the hell can it be, it HAS to be the light bar. the ds3 would last me days.

#19 Posted by topgunmv (10739 posts) -

Triggers feel identical to the 360 ones to me, except with a larger more ergonomic surface area.

#20 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@silversix_ said:

@farrell2k said:

@silversix_ said:

who told you that? I don't remember telling my deepest secret to anyone on SW. You must be just THAT good at imagination, very impressive. Also, x1 batteries lasting weeks LOL like seriously are you high with x1 batteries lasting weeks? Weeks hahaha yeah MS certainly does have the best engineers in the world, best lithium batteries are made by MS! You charge them once and they last you weeks if not months or even years! This is so great that i'll be buying an Xbone just for those amazing batteries because it is worth spending $400-500 to have batteries that last longer than 5h. Next gen is here, in 792p but its here. Jump In.

wtf? it doesn't use lithium idiot, it uses regular AA batteries which hold their charge way longer than the lithium battery in the DS4. get this through your head little boy.

the X1 controller uses AA batteries and it lasts for 2 weeks with regular gaming. whats the point I'm talking to a child.

#22 Edited by MonsieurX (36894 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MonsieurX said:

what the hell can it be, it HAS to be the light bar. the ds3 would last me days.

Yes,it has to be the lightbar when Sony itself is saying it's not that

With the release of the PS4 firmware update 1.7 the possibility of dimming the light of the DualShock 4 gave many the hope to increase the battery life of their controller, but just by how much does it increase?

Turns out, not by much. We measured it ourselves with three cycles from full charge to zero at “bright,” “medium” and “dim” settings. Vibration was kept off (or better, the system update turned it off for us) and the controller was left idle on the menu screen. In order to keep the variables even.

• On “Bright” setting, the controller ran from 8:48 PM to 7:47 AM the morning after, clocking 10 hours and 59 minutes of battery life.
  • On “Medium” setting, the controller started its work at 5:25 PM and ran out of juice at 5:25 AM, for a total battery life of 11 hours and 42 minutes. 50 Minutes longer than the “Bright” setting.
  • On “Dim” Settin it ran from 9:41 AM to 10:02 PM, clocking 12 hours and 21 minutes of battery life. 81 minutes longer than the “Bright” setting.

In conclusion, while dimming the light does help a little bit, the benefit is really not that relevant. So if you’re doing it counting on much longer gaming hours, you might want to keep your expectations low.

Luckily it does reduce the glare on the screen considerably, so the feature is still quite useful for those sitting close to the screen.

#23 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MonsieurX said:

With the release of the PS4 firmware update 1.7 the possibility of dimming the light of the DualShock 4 gave many the hope to increase the battery life of their controller, but just by how much does it increase?

Turns out, not by much. We measured it ourselves with three cycles from full charge to zero at “bright,” “medium” and “dim” settings. Vibration was kept off (or better, the system update turned it off for us) and the controller was left idle on the menu screen. In order to keep the variables even.

• On “Bright” setting, the controller ran from 8:48 PM to 7:47 AM the morning after, clocking 10 hours and 59 minutes of battery life.
  • On “Medium” setting, the controller started its work at 5:25 PM and ran out of juice at 5:25 AM, for a total battery life of 11 hours and 42 minutes. 50 Minutes longer than the “Bright” setting.
  • On “Dim” Settin it ran from 9:41 AM to 10:02 PM, clocking 12 hours and 21 minutes of battery life. 81 minutes longer than the “Bright” setting.

In conclusion, while dimming the light does help a little bit, the benefit is really not that relevant. So if you’re doing it counting on much longer gaming hours, you might want to keep your expectations low.

Luckily it does reduce the glare on the screen considerably, so the feature is still quite useful for those sitting close to the screen.

thats bullshit, it must be with nobody actually playing on the controller....just having it on of coarse it doesn't use much battery life, but during an intense button mashing game like UFC or mortal combat it lasts for a few hours if you're lucky.

don't be such a smartass because you know nothing.

#24 Posted by MonsieurX (36894 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MonsieurX said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MonsieurX said:

thats bullshit, it must be with nobody actually playing on the controller....just having it on of coarse it doesn't use much battery life, but during an intense button mashing game like UFC or mortal combat it lasts for a few hours if you're lucky.

don't be such a smartass because you know nothing.

I'm not Jon Snow.

Since you seem to be the only one experiencing that short battery life,either

1)You have a faulty DS4

2)You don't have a DS4

Then

3)Try the suggestions in the first link to improve battery life

#25 Posted by cdragon_88 (1532 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@silversix_ said:

LOL. This is one of the dumbest response I've ever seen on SW. But yes I agree the dualshock 4 battery life is shit--when compared to the dualshock 3.

#26 Posted by topgunmv (10739 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@MonsieurX said:

Almost an hour and a half actually seems like a pretty decent increase.

#27 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@silversix_ said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@silversix_ said:

@farrell2k said:

@silversix_ said:

wtf? it doesn't use lithium idiot, it uses regular AA batteries which hold their charge way longer than the lithium battery in the DS4. get this through your head little boy.

the X1 controller uses AA batteries and it lasts for 2 weeks with regular gaming. whats the point I'm talking to a child.

no shit it doesn't use lithium nor is it developed by the best MS engineers in the world or last weeks, idiot. Its funny that you actually believe in what you're saying and truly think they last two weeks. Is your weeks weekends only or wut? 2 weeks lol...

#28 Edited by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

you can get this...

#29 Posted by Sollet (8075 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

cool blog

Indeed, blog it.

#30 Posted by iwasgood2u (831 posts) -

From the link.... lower the speaker volume from your dualshock controller. Disabling vibration will also help and if need to step away from gaming hold ps button for 10 sec for it to be turned off.

#31 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

Still beats putting actual batteries into it lol

#32 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

Rant over, thanks.

Yup and the xbone uses AA. I guess you should have bought a Wii U. It actually has games and a decent controller.

#33 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

I wouldn't know, I use my ps4 controller on my ps3 more than I do my ps4.

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (36894 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Rant over, thanks.

Yup and the xbone uses AA. I guess you should have bought a Wii U. It actually has games and a decent controller.

Battery life is still meh on the tablet