arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I just picked up my first DualSense Edge. So far it feels really good. I do not think it is worth $200, and the improvement over the standard DualSense is very small for me personally because I have no intention to use the customizable options. I just wanted to get one because gaming is one of my few hobbies and I'm willing to spend some money on it because it's one of my passions.

The build quality of the Edge is nearly identical to the standard DualSense, both made of the same plastic. The Edge is just heavier, maybe slightly more substantial. Really, the only great thing about the controller is the ability to swap out the analogs if you get stick drift. The fact that the replacement analogs are only $20 is a good move on Sony's part, that's cheap. I think if you are interested in the customization and will actually utilize it, Edge could be better for you.

The build quality of Elite Series 2 is significantly better than the standard Series X controller. It has some real heft and better quality materials. Also, the battery life is like 6x longer than Edge and it comes with a charging dock. Elite Series 2 has 4 paddles instead of the Edge's 2, and just feels like a more premium product because of the heft and quality of materials (not using the same plastic).

Here's the problem, the Elite Series 2 has crap quality control and the controllers have major issues. I kid you not when I say I bought and returned 8 of them. They all had problems. Some of them had face buttons that were not responsive. Some of them had RB and triggers that worked sometimes, not all the time.

But, there is one catastrophic design failure of the Elite Series 2. The L3 and R3 buttons don't work when the joystick is positioned diagonally. The joystick must be centered, up, down, left or right for L3 and R3 to be pressed. For those of you with an Elite Series 2, try it for yourself. It happened with all 8 that I returned. The standard Series X controller works flawlessly at any angle when pressing L3 and R3.

So the Elite Series 2 has so much going for it. Such good build quality, such good materials, heft, 4 paddles, killer battery life, a great feel and comfort. It's just badly designed with the analog sticks regarding the L3 and R3 functionality. It has bad quality control with the buttons just failing completely or working intermittently at best. I obviously need to spend more time with my new DualSense Edge to see if it has problems too, but I'm really guessing it won't.

I forgot to add that the Elite Series 2 is kind of dated technology too, like it's actually using hardware that's a stop gap between the Xbox One controller and the Series X controller. So the standard Series X controller is actually more, "up to date". The other thing I forgot to add was, little things about the Elite Series 2 bothered me, like the paddles were a little wobbly and loose on all of them, just a touch. They feel much tighter and firmly in place on the DualSense Edge. I just wish the DualSense Edge felt more premium, it's like they just used 90% of the exact same components of the standard DualSense really making it worth more like $120. I dunno, nothing is cheap these days and I guess the slight upgrades, analog detachment, the case, the paddles, extra analog sticks and actually bundling a USB-C cable make it worth maybe $150-$180, I'm just not seeing $200.

Last thing I wanted to say was, back when I was experiencing all these problems with the Elite Series 2, at the time I thought it was because there weren't enough people buying it. Like one of the reasons an iPhone has so few problems is because billions of people are telling Apple what's wrong with it. That's why the DualSense and Series X controllers have so few problems because millions of people are telling MS and Sony the problems they have. With these specialty controllers, they don't have enough "beta testers" out there reporting the problems, and therefore they have more kinks. But mostly, I just think the Elite Series 2 has bad quality control and flawed design.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By arkephonic

I wonder what makes the DualSense Edge so heavy? It feels like it's about 1.5x the weight of the standard DualSense.

Next gen, the analog swapping thing should be industry standard in all controllers until they eliminate stick drift. I've actually never experienced stick drift before *knock on wood* but I know it's a problem and if I ever had it, I'd like to just replace the analog instead of the entire controller.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46810 Posts

Dualsense already feels to heavy for me. Not interested in anything heavier.

On the other side of the spectrum: joycons feel too weak and small.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By arkephonic

Yeah my favorite controller is just the standard Series X controller. On DualSense, I turn everything off. No special trigger stuff, no rumble, no mic, controller volume low, lights dim, I turn everything off because I don't care about it and I try to squeeze as much battery life as possible out of it. A little tip, if you don't use your mic on DualSense, by default it turns on, set it to be off upon login. The mic always being on is actually a battery killer.

I used to hate on the Xbox controller's lack of an internal battery, but now I prefer it. I have like 30 high capacity rechargeable AA batteries with a 1 hour charger. When the controller gets low on battery, I just swap the batteries out and recharge the spent ones. I'm never tethered by a cord. Not only that, one set of batteries gives me like 30 hours of playtime. I never have to charge them it seems.

But here's the main thing. These lithium ion batteries have a shelf life, and they will all end up in the landfill sooner than later. I have confidence getting these limited edition Series X controllers like the Starfield one I just got, because when I shelf it, I can take the batteries out. If you know anything about lithium ion batteries, they hate being at 100% and 0%, especially at 0%. They love being at 50%. It's a lot of high maintenance to make sure your batteries are being well taken care of with an internal battery. That's why a lot of products released these days have battery care modes that prevent it from being fully charged.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 40426 Posts

All irrelevant controllers with unacceptable analog sticks made to last a month.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46810 Posts

When I played games on my PS4 and whenever the speaker on its controller started blasting it's incredibly low fidelity sound, it always startled me. That's why I turned it off when I could, it was an awful feature and the sound quality was worse than 8 bit gaming.

The Dualsense is great because it has that haptic rumble and its buttons feel great, but yeah it's a bit heavy.

The Xbox One and Xbox series controllers are perfection. They are improved versions of the 360 controller, which was already the best controller. I also grabbed the Starfield controller as I just like those textured grips on the back. They make the controller feel that much better.

As for Lithium Ion batteries: I'm happy that the EU voted a law that obligates replacable batteries and thus will cause less e-waste.

Like why can I easily replace my PSP battery, but my Vita will end up on a landfill? Not good.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 7167 Posts

Both a waste of money, the ladies pleasure machine (c'mon we all know the dual sense sound like a women's sex toy) more so because of the shitty battery life.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1249 Posts

@arkephonic said:

I wonder what makes the DualSense Edge so heavy? It feels like it's about 1.5x the weight of the standard DualSense.

Next gen, the analog swapping thing should be industry standard in all controllers until they eliminate stick drift. I've actually never experienced stick drift before *knock on wood* but I know it's a problem and if I ever had it, I'd like to just replace the analog instead of the entire controller.

Because it is really packed. There is no place for anything else inside Edge. Every space is filled, much larger trigger button mechanism. Barely a smaller battery got the room inside even. LOL

Loading Video...

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

One of my criticisms of the Elite controller is that its an Xbox One controller, so its still using the Xbox One's trash D-pad instead of the perfect updated one in the standard Series X controller.

They need to hurry up and put out the Gen 3 version.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 arkephonic

@StrongDeadlift:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot to mention that the elite series 2 is using Xbox One technology. Xbox controllers always had crappy D pads. I was shocked and pleased to see that the Series X controller actually has my favorite D pad I’ve ever used in my life. It’s really precise, comfortable and has tactile feedback which I love. It’s kind of like going from a mushy crappy keyboard to a really nice mechanical keyboard. Even the amazing Sony D pads feel mushy in comparison.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7721 Posts

Calling 20$ cheap when a module from alps(the cheap shit they use) costs Sony like 1$, that's 3rd of a controller.

8Bit do has a controller with paddles and non-drifting sticks for 60€

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen

@howmakewood said:

Calling 20$ cheap when a module from alps(the cheap shit they use) costs Sony like 1$, that's 3rd of a controller.

8Bit do has a controller with paddles and non-drifting sticks for 60€

Isn't it ridiculous? I am annoyed 8bid hasn't released one for the ps5, tho. When they do, i will burn my dualsense and post a pic of it here😎

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 arkephonic

I was just watching a tear down video of Edge and the battery is 2/3 the size of the standard DualSense. What were they thinking?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen

@arkephonic said:

I was just watching a tear down video of Edge and the battery is 2/3 the size of the standard DualSense. What were they thinking?

Simple. Create a product associated with a massive brand, market the hell out of it, and the average joe bro will buy it just cuz its important, not because they need it, or its good.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

This zoomer makes great controller reviews btw, so if someone is looking for one, he is a good source.

Loading Video...
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By arkephonic

I have a few really nice high capacity power banks. I think I’ll just plan on tethering my Edge to a power bank in my pocket or something which isn’t as bad as tethering it to a wall or console.

Battery technology as a whole is the glaring weakness of technology today. It holds everything back and we really need a new breakthrough battery technology. Imagine if it was industry standard to have a 2 month long battery life before you need to charge your phone with heavy daily use. Phones and computers are always looking for ways to make CPU's draw less power and be more efficient just to combat this crappy lithium ion battery technology.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17475 Posts

My favorite PS5 controller is the Victrix Pro BFG. If I ever buy another PS5, that is the one I'm getting

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By arkephonic
@navyguy21 said:

My favorite PS5 controller is the Victrix Pro BFG. If I ever buy another PS5, that is the one I'm getting

I was watching a video about that, I might get that one too. I like that it's officially Sony 1st party licensed. I think. I don't like buying 3rd party things that aren't officially licensed.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17475 Posts

@arkephonic said:
@navyguy21 said:

I was watching a video about that, I might get that one too. I like that it's officially Sony 1st party licensed. I think. I don't like buying 3rd party things that aren't officially licensed.

I also have the Nacon Unlimited V3 that I used for PS5 before I sold the console. Its a great controller but feels bulky for no reason. This seems to be more like the Series X controller, which I think is perfect.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16116 Posts

The problem with the Elite controllers is that it has some of the worst build quality ever. The amount of stories of it being broken day one in the hands of so many people really scares me. Its a shame too cause personally its a tad bit better controller than the Edge, "edging" it with its 4 back buttons.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44761 Posts

@sakaixx: I'd be curious if Elites a shit build or if people whine about drift after setting their deadzones to zero, but they use the same faulty lowest bidder potentiometers as Sony and Nintendo.

I remember few months back all the baffled people who were playing Atomic Heart complaining that the game wigging out on them when they set their in-game deadzones to zero 🤣

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By arkephonic

@sakaixx:

When it’s working, it feels pretty good but it has major reliability problems with the buttons just not working sometimes which is inexcusable. You’d think that using it for FPS games would be a main draw, but it’s hard and frustrating to play FPS games with it because of the broken analog sticks. L3 and R3 don’t work when the analog stick is in a diagonal direction so whenever I’d be running, I’d need to consciously reposition the analog stick straight forward before I could start sprinting. Like, the analog stick won’t even mechanically click if it’s in a diagonal position, it just hits a wall. It makes gameplay so much more frustrating and annoying. It’s such a trash controller honestly.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44761 Posts

If only one of the DualSense analog keeps failing you'd have to replace the DualSense analogs at least 4 times to break even versus buying new controllers, if you replace the other analog every other time the one that primarily fails fails, then it's about the cost of 5 different controllers before you break even. And, of course, pointless if any of the buttons or bumbers break.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

All irrelevant controllers with unacceptable analog sticks made to last a month.

yep

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50764 Posts

Just give me one that doesn't drift and I'll be happy.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Elite is great, used the first gen for years and the v2 for over a year now

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By arkephonic

So I just bought the SCUF Instinct Pro because it was on sale at Best Buy for $200, regularly $230. I've been really wanting a pro controller for my Series X but I think the Elite Series 2 is trash as I've already detailed. What the hell is this SCUF Instinct Pro? I take it out of the box and it literally feels no different than the standard Series X controller. The D-Pad makes an intermittent crackling noise indicative of a low build quality. I actually exchanged it for a different one thinking it was defective, but they both did it. I just returned the 2nd one also. It literally feels lighter than the standard Series X controller with a lower build quality. I don't mind the fact that it uses AA batteries and doesn't have a built in battery, but that should also be reflective in the price. Do not buy this controller, it is literally worth maybe $80 and they tack on an extra $150 purely for the SCUF name. Since the D-pad makes a weird crackling noise, I'd say it's not even as good as the standard Series X controller and the paddles aren't very comfortable on it either.

My wait for a decent pro controller for Series X continues. I hope the Elite Series 3 is at least good enough to warrant a purchase. It sucks because most of my games are on Xbox. I exchanged the SCUF for another DualSense Edge and the build quality/performance is so much better in the Edge. Not to mention, Edge comes with a case too and the SCUF doesn't. It's actually ridiculous how big of a POS the SCUF Instinct Pro is for $230.

Like don't get me wrong, Edge is also overpriced and not worth $200. But when I analyze it, I can understand where some of the extra money goes. It's heavier, beefier internals, R&D and cool changes like the swappable analog sticks, premium build quality, everything works properly on it, a high quality case with some extra stuff like paddle choices and extra analog sticks with a nice long USB C cable, it at least has some good stuff. Worth $200? No, but definitely worth more than a standard DualSense. With the SCUF, I just look at it, use it, hold it, feel it, and I see absolutely nothing about it that warrants any type of expensive price.