DriveClub: Okay, I'm a fan

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

Well, that is sort of disappointing. The game looks great, but I'm not sure if I can go back to arcade racing with no damage. Admittedly, this isn't as pretty as the footage you showed (GRiD has no rain), but it is very intense.

Yeah it looks intense. DriveClub is definatley more arcade. It depends what you prefer.

In Driveclub you can't take sharp corners at full speed like in that video. I mean, just look at 1:03, that right there is fucking insane, it's like he has driving assist turned to max and beyond. He went from shift 4 to 2 in an instant and took a perfect corner that would have made any car with decent torque spin like an ice skater. So Driveclub is definitely not this arcade even if its collision detection is very casual.

An example of real life physics in powerful car:

Loading Video...

People always laugh about GT not being realistic enough because they buy powerful cars like Mustangs and Ferraris, take corners at full speed and start spinning. Well, that's how real life is bro.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

A LOT of flat looking textures and geometry in the environments.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Console gamers really need to start demanding more from game developers - and their precious hardware. These kind of low-res textures and 30fps cap wouldn't have been accepted by PC gamers years ago...next-gen is looking pretty bad right now.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@ButDuuude:

The game looks gorgeous but it also looks rather bland. Not the biggest racing fan but I like playing em every once in a while. The Online aspect must be HUGE for this game in order for it to succeed. And I haven't seen much of that.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#107 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I'm not a fan of racing games....but I did love Project Gotham Racing back in the day and this sorta looks like a version of that.

So....I'm psyched.

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

It's a car game that lacks the Ultimate feature in racing games. Cars. It's driving mechanics and physics are weak as well.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#109  Edited By Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@mems_1224 said:

Yea but its still a racing game so it sucks by default

Just like your posts.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

I wonder what everyone thinks of the audio in this game, or if anyone cares.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@gamersjustgame said:

It's a car game that lacks the Ultimate feature in racing games. Cars. It's driving mechanics and physics are weak as well.

You've played it?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@edwardecl said:

An arcade racing game with less than 100 cars...

It's trying real hard to be like PGR with the point system for doing different things on the track. Not a bad thing as PGR 3 & 4 were brilliant. Those games had a lot more then 50 cars though. Can't wait to play this and Horizon 2 this fall. Online action should be really fun. I hope they decide to add more cars at no extra costs. Turn 10 has been doing this with Forza 5 for months now.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#113 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Already paid this baby off, so excited

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 blackace
@manny280 said:

The graphics are simply stunning, hopefully this turns out to be a good spiritual successor to PGR like the devs are saying. I would be ecstatic if this happened because PGR is my favorite racing franchise, too bad there'll never be another one. RIP Bizarre Creations

Microsoft owns the PGR franchise, so never say never.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#115 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Meh, looks boring. Didn't enjoy any of the Motorstorm games so have zero faith in evolution.

Much more excited for FH2.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Well...this is basically the new PGR.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@littlestreakier said:

Hm, the game kind of looks like a spiritual successor of Project Gotham Racing (my favorite racing brand on Xbox). Will definitely check this out when it comes out

many key people that worked on Project Gotham series are now part of Evo Studio.

whoa, somehow i did not know this. This will be a day 1 pick up for me :D

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@charizard1605 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@charizard1605 said:

@littlestreakier said:

Hm, the game kind of looks like a spiritual successor of Project Gotham Racing (my favorite racing brand on Xbox). Will definitely check this out when it comes out

It is sort of the successor. So is Forza Horizon. Be sure to check them out!

If I'm not mistaken, some of the people from Bizzare studios who worked on the PGR games are working on DriveClub.

Yeah, I think Evolution absorbed a lot of Bizarre's folks once Bizarre was shuttered.

I wish Bizarre hadn't been shuttered ;__;

Yeah they were good game makers for sure. PGR4 blew minds at release. Also had Dynamic weather.

PGR was amazing, and so was Blur.

I hate Activision and Microsoft forever for letting them die.

PGR is my all-time favorite racing series. I will be picking up Drive Club day one :D hope to see you all there! I personally think MS should've kept PGR going instead of Forza...

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#119  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Looks good but I'm not a fan of racing games.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

LOL it's FAR more volumetric than Project Cars.

Indeed, but it has much better physics, runs at 1080P / 60 fps on PS4 and allows more cars on track at once.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Ben-Buja

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Ben-Buja said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

LOL it's FAR more volumetric than Project Cars.

Indeed, but it has much better physics, runs at 1080P / 60 fps on PS4 and allows more cars on track at once.

Not on PS4. Maybe on PC. DriveClub @1080p 60fps is impossible on PS4 at that visual fidelity. And it would drop to the teens with 64 cars on a track with those visuals.

Just pointing out that one thing you can't say about the game is that anything is visually half assed. It's possibly the most detailed racer ever created. I couldn't believe how they made a tree in a racing game more detailed than any linear FPS/TPS trees i've seen lol. They pushed the PS4 with that game. I don't see how GT7 can possibly look as good seen as it is targeting 60fps like all GT games. But then Forza 4 looks better than PGR4 and it's 60fps where as PGR4 is 30fps with drops. So I don't know.

Let me quote the development director of Slightly Mad Studios:

"I'm never one for face rubbing, but for pCARS to be criticised for not looking great ... that's worth correcting. I agree DriveClub looks great, even better than pCARS in some small areas. But our game can look truly amazing at times, and to do that on PS4 at 60fps with a full simulation engine (the tyre model alone is a huge CPU cost) is an absolutely incredible achievement.

(I hate specifically criticising the competition also - I think the DriveClub guys have done a great job (admittedly with vast resources compared to what we have) and chosen the compromises that suit their game. I intend to buy it and don't doubt I'll enjoy it for what it is; it's a very different game to pCARS though and realistically not direct competition.)"

Andy Garton

ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

@scottpsfan14: it will depend on the game engine, perhaps polyphony will have a new one for release of that game. Drive club looks a good arcade racer from the footage, looks a little floaty but fine for an arcade game.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 blackace

@Gue1 said:

In Driveclub you can't take sharp corners at full speed like in that video. I mean, just look at 1:03, that right there is fucking insane, it's like he has driving assist turned to max and beyond. He went from shift 4 to 2 in an instant and took a perfect corner that would have made any car with decent torque spin like an ice skater. So Driveclub is definitely not this arcade even if its collision detection is very casual.

An example of real life physics in powerful car:

Loading Video...

People always laugh about GT not being realistic enough because they buy powerful cars like Mustangs and Ferraris, take corners at full speed and start spinning. Well, that's how real life is bro.

This is exactly what it does in Forza 5 with all of the assists turned off. People who try to take corners at 90+ mph are in for a rude awakening. I hope that car wasn't a Ferrari.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#128 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

I won't lie, unless it's an arcade or kart racer, I'm not interested.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Ben-Buja

@scottpsfan14 said:

Yeah he's about right. There are a shit ton of physics simulations in PC centric racing sims. Must be a strain on that little CPU in the PS4. They are doing good. Just saying in terms of visual fidelity, DC beats it. Never said that DC is a better game or is more impressive in all areas, just saying that graphically/asthetically it's better. Although Pcars is far from a slouch graphically. The car models seem just as good. And the reflections on the cars seem as good too. The lighting and sun shafts are nice also. It's the best looking Sim racer i've seen. GT7 will likely match or beat it though. Although, again, probably not in all ways.

I agree about DC, just saying that SMS achieved a lot considering the circumstances. (Crowd funded multiplat development, 3,7 mil Euro budget and 3 years development time)

Yeah, no doubt that GT7 will be a looker, but that's no surprise with a budget that big. When it comes out PCars 2 might be already out, who knows...

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@Ben-Buja said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Not on PS4. Maybe on PC. DriveClub @1080p 60fps is impossible on PS4 at that visual fidelity. And it would drop to the teens with 64 cars on a track with those visuals.

Just pointing out that one thing you can't say about the game is that anything is visually half assed. It's possibly the most detailed racer ever created. I couldn't believe how they made a tree in a racing game more detailed than any linear FPS/TPS trees i've seen lol. They pushed the PS4 with that game. I don't see how GT7 can possibly look as good seen as it is targeting 60fps like all GT games. But then Forza 4 looks better than PGR4 and it's 60fps where as PGR4 is 30fps with drops. So I don't know.

Let me quote the development director of Slightly Mad Studios:

"I'm never one for face rubbing, but for pCARS to be criticised for not looking great ... that's worth correcting. I agree DriveClub looks great, even better than pCARS in some small areas. But our game can look truly amazing at times, and to do that on PS4 at 60fps with a full simulation engine (the tyre model alone is a huge CPU cost) is an absolutely incredible achievement.

(I hate specifically criticising the competition also - I think the DriveClub guys have done a great job (admittedly with vast resources compared to what we have) and chosen the compromises that suit their game. I intend to buy it and don't doubt I'll enjoy it for what it is; it's a very different game to pCARS though and realistically not direct competition.)"

Andy Garton

bahahaha. some small areas. riiiiiiiiiight. herms have gone full fanboy mode as usual. grid looks better than driveclub now. driveclub has flat textures and environments. what a joke these clowns are

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Ben-Buja
@m3dude1 said:

bahahaha. some small areas. riiiiiiiiiight. herms have gone full fanboy mode as usual. grid looks better than driveclub now. driveclub has flat textures and environments. what a joke these clowns are

The biggest fanboy of them all calling people out for being fanboys, how hypocritical.

I quoted Andy Garton simply to show scottpsfan14 that Project Cars runs in 60 fps on PS4 because he doubted it.

I agree that comparing DC to Grid is nonsense, you do realize that it was someone else who said that, right? Because sometimes I'm not sure with you

@scottpsfan14 said:

SMS did a fine job considering their budget. The best looking sim racer ever made on a budget. Can't beat that. Also with a great physics engine and 64 player races. Yep, impressive to say the least.

So is the game better graphics than DiRT 3 on max?

Easily, yes.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 m3dude1

yep i do realize it wasnt you who said it. you are all pretty interchangeable to be honest tho, even tho you didnt say that 1 specific bit of absurdity.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Ben-Buja
@m3dude1 said:

yep i do realize it wasnt you who said it. you are all pretty interchangeable to be honest tho, even tho you didnt say that 1 specific bit of absurdity.

Speaking of absurdity, Project CARS is looking pretty good for a "rookie basement mod" these days.

Loading Video...

That statement is far more absurd than comparing Grid to DC.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By m3dude1

the trailer pretty much shows nothing but a closeup of a car or a ground texture

Loading Video...

world of difference

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_32727_1_en.html

also watch that. just redonkulous

ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

@blackace: in Forza 5 even with the assist turned on if you deliberately oversteer the car, especially rwd it will step out of shape. The guy in that Ferrari video, tries to drift round the corner and ran out of talent, nothing to do with physics in any racing game. In. Drive Club you can change direction far to quickly at high speed multiple times without penalty but that's cause it's an arcade racer.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Its a racing game...

ZZZzzzz....

no thanks

Same here. I hope its good for fans, though. I never want games to turn out crappy.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#138 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Its a racing game...

ZZZzzzz....

no thanks

I don't play them either. I played Motorstorm & Blur. No other racing games have ever gotten my attention.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#139 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Desmonic said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Sounds like more over promise, under deliver. The Sony way.

Cant wait to see the 10 sec load times get tossed out and over looked once it doesn't hit that mark.

Or, you know, you could watch this and have your doubts cleared (about the loading). Consistently on that mark. Very well done in that regard IMO.

Loading Video...

Or you can just accept that it is probably running on a PC and the load times will still differ on the console.

OMG!

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@Suppaman100 said:

Well...this is basically the new PGR.

Not, exactly.

You want the next PGR, or successor, you look at Forza: Horizon 1/2. Driveclub seems to share the whole idea of earning points while driving, and hey, that's almost every racer out there.

PGR is not quite that. It's a sim with a good touch of fun added. Not arcade. It still requires input. And the car selection, and race challenges/mini games are actually worked out, as opposed to Driveclub. Sitting at around 60 cars, that's not any good. Not even any Japanese cars.

You show me Driveclub, pulling off a cone challenge with a Ford GT, and I will give a nudge towards DC. Until then, you keep an eye on the Horizon. Yeah, I just went there.

There's a reason why those that played PGR and Horizon are quick to see the similarities in design. It's because a huge chunk of Bizarre Creations got taken into Playground Studios, and that shows brilliantly with the Horizon franchise.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

No racing game in this day and age should have less than 250 different cars.

There are so many different cars out there, and there are fans of all of them. People tend to buy or ignore a game based on it's car list (considering it's the main reason to be playing the game, I understand why).

Drive Club is going to flop. It's going to be praised for pretty graphics but a heavy lack of substance behind it.

You are so clueless. The highest selling racing series of all time has never had over 100 cars

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#142 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@foxhound_fox said:

There are so many different cars out there, and there are fans of all of them. People tend to buy or ignore a game based on it's car list (considering it's the main reason to be playing the game, I understand why).

Drive Club is going to flop. It's going to be praised for pretty graphics but a heavy lack of substance behind it.

You are so clueless. The highest selling racing series of all time has never had over 100 cars

Mario Kart isn't a real-life recreation game.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Couth_ said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Mario Kart isn't a real-life recreation game.

Wrong again it's need for speed, not mario kart - Rivals only had 52 cars.. stop posting every time you say something it's a fail

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@gamersjustgame said:

You've played it?

Ive seen it and heard feedback.

strangeisland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 strangeisland
Member since 2009 • 1153 Posts

I don't know what you guys see in a scenery simulator. That sense of speed and sound resembles that of a transit bus, in comparison to this

Loading Video...