DriveClub: Okay, I'm a fan

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Predictably, DriveClub has gotten a lot of hype, because it looks pretty, and because it's a Sony exclusive, and that's two things all Sony fans will never back down from hyping, no matter how questionable and dubious the game in question itself might look. One of these games so far has been DriveClub- it was announced last year, and apart from maybe looking slightly pretty, I haven't understood why it gets the hype it does. The 30FPS framerate for 1080p resolution really bugged me too.

But now, I'm sold on it. I think I am a fan. I've slowly been coming around on the game for a while now (yes, it does look gorgeous, and the dynamic weather and day night system, along with some of the tracks, is absolutely killer), but Evolution Studios recently said some things that completely sold me on this game. I.e., they said the right things:

• Loading times in this game will be extremely short. We are looking at loading times less than ten seconds
  • More importantly, DriveClub, which is a game that is supposed to grow and evolve with time, is basically involving the players in the development process.

That second point is what sold me on the game: I'm going to quote the DualShockers article here directly:

The plan is to keep improving and innovating on the game, and involve the community in that process letting their feedback shape the direction in which the game will evolve.

Weather is the first example of that, since it was vocally requested by the community itself.

There will be a feedback system similar to the one for PS4 and PS Vita, and evolution Studios also has a robust analytics system to see what is popular and what people like to do.

The team even had discussions about introducing off-road locations, even if as of now no work has been done on that. The engine is fully capable to simulate off road racing, so if the community wants it, it could be a possibility. Split-screen multiplayer is another element that could be considered if players really want it.

According to Rustchynsky Sony Computer Entertainment steered away from the traditional development processes with Driveclub. Instead of having the studio go through submitting document designs and setting them in stone, they simply told them “you have this amount of time and this budget to do what the community wants introduced in the game.”

I had animosity towards the game, but any of it that I had is now gone. Here is a developer that seems to be legitimately passionate about the game they are making, that seem to care about making their product the best that they possibly can (even the delay is excusable now), and one that actually cares about the community it is fostering enough to share their vision with them.

That is something I can get behind. I had no intention of ever buying DriveClub but now, I will. Maybe not right at launch, but I'll get this game for sure.

Meanwhile, enjoy this great trailer.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Its a racing game...

ZZZzzzz....

no thanks

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

It does look pretty that's for sure, I'm not a fan of racing games, but hope this ushers in a new genre

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

An arcade racing game with less than 100 cars...

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I thought these things were standard for racing games nowadays? Evolving/Improving gameplay and community feedback

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#7 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

I'm more excited for Forza Horizon 2, but I'll be checking this one out for sure at some point. It does indeed look great.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Best PS+ title ever.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

No You're not.

You just think you're a fan because you like it so much ! :p

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

40 minutes of gameplay footage

http://www.twitch.tv/playstationde/b/558118897

I'll give the PS+ Edition a whirl , for sure.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Isn't this game a F2P type thing?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I wish I liked racing games... :( It's pretty tho.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

you can check it online

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

40 minute gameplay:

Loading Video...

And here's an example of what this developer can do with weather:

MotorStorm Apocalypse (PS3)

Loading Video...

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I'm a big fan of racing games, so I was always going to get this game. The only thing I know about DC at the moment is that the game looks spectacular. And Evolution have been haying up the online club features in the game. So if the game can actually deliver on the club aspects I think it could be a very enjoyable online racer.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

@magicalclick said:

So it is better to wait for them to evolve the game for a year or two instead of buying the less evolved game.

Well if you have PS+ you can always download that version of the game. Should give you an idea if you like the game, or don't.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Yea but its still a racing game so it sucks by default

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Yes, and you were also a fan of Assassin's Creed 3.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#20 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@PhazonBlazer: It certainly wasn't the worst AC game out there (cough, Revelations, cough).

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

dat 30 fps doe.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Not excited for a racing game but i'll play the hell of the ps+ version. I just want to ram people and receive tears of rage mails lol

manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

The graphics are simply stunning, hopefully this turns out to be a good spiritual successor to PGR like the devs are saying. I would be ecstatic if this happened because PGR is my favorite racing franchise, too bad there'll never be another one. RIP Bizarre Creations

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Not a fan of the genre, but I think Driveclub will win people over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@manny280 said:

The graphics are simply stunning, hopefully this turns out to be a good spiritual successor to PGR like the devs are saying. I would be ecstatic if this happened because PGR is my favorite racing franchise, too bad there'll never be another one. RIP Bizarre Creations

Well, another game you might want to look into if you like PGR is Forza Horizon (or its sequel).

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

this will be the best looking racing game for a long time. it will be quite a while before ps4 gets a proper next gen gran tourismo

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Forza Horizon 2 is already better thought out by the devs themselves than DriveClub will ever be with the help of community.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Number one rule of DriveClub: don't talk about DriveClub

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Looks nice and I would probably buy it if I owned a Ps4. Another game to pick up for cheap in a few years when the system has enough decent games.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Blog it

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Blabadon

He's got Mod Powers... He can do whatever he wants.... :p

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Sounds like more over promise, under deliver. The Sony way.

Cant wait to see the 10 sec load times get tossed out and over looked once it doesn't hit that mark.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

After watching some gameplay footage I'm actually kinda worried about DriveClub. They might as well just add the over the top drifting and call it Ridge Racer. At least that way it will have some name recognition.

Still day one though.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

@PhazonBlazer: It certainly wasn't the worst AC game out there (cough, Revelations, cough).

It was worse than Revelations was. In terms of gameplay, 3 didn't really bring anything to the table or improve much. Connor was also far worse than Ezio and Altair and the setting in Revelations made for better free running than the 2 cities and shit tons of wilfderness in 3. Story might not have been strong in Revelations, but it provided closure for two far more interesting characters and all 3 managed to do was forest gump Connor into practically every historical event he ever lived through.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

The driving mechanics are not my cup of tea. It looks like you glide on the road regardless of weather and obviously hitting guard rails or other cars does nothing. Games like Burnout were fun and need for speed games because you have that police chasing aspect.. but this is trying to look like a sim with its graphics but race like an arcade game. Does looks pretty though

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Sounds like more over promise, under deliver. The Sony way.

Cant wait to see the 10 sec load times get tossed out and over looked once it doesn't hit that mark.

Or, you know, you could watch this and have your doubts cleared (about the loading). Consistently on that mark. Very well done in that regard IMO.

Loading Video...

Or you can just accept that it is probably running on a PC and the load times will still differ on the console.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Ok I just watched the Ign video, game looks horrible (graphics look great), Go off the road a little bit and constantly get a 3 second count down on screen to go back to the track, even though your only off the road by 5 meters, ram cars at full speed with zero repercussions, drive straight into a boulder and shrug it off to keep on going. In the video for this thread the car shrugs off a tree, looks like no damage, cars sound almost identical in every camera angle. Verdict, might be fun for a day rental.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

No racing game in this day and age should have less than 250 different cars.

There are so many different cars out there, and there are fans of all of them. People tend to buy or ignore a game based on it's car list (considering it's the main reason to be playing the game, I understand why).

Drive Club is going to flop. It's going to be praised for pretty graphics but a heavy lack of substance behind it.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I'm still annoyed that there going on and on about this Weather and showing it all off, and yet it isn't in the final build it's going to be a patch later, so by the time weather comes alot of the casusals and most people would of got bored of it, unless it comes out within a month. just a bit strange to sell a product on weather at this point and not have it in the final game to begin with.

Split screen is a must, I honestly think every racer should always have split screen, why do these racers always deny us any enjoyment of racing friends on the same sofa, silly/.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@charizard1605: Sheesh, you're such a cow.