Drive Club my impression and where it stands today.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TorqueHappens08
TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TorqueHappens08
Member since 2008 • 1363 Posts

it had the most shittiest, embarrassing launch i have ever seen. It was a broken mess... but now after all of the new added content and fixes; i can honestly say it's one of the best racing games i have played on a console for sometime, since the days of Project Gotham. It's engaging, challenging and the sense of speed is unrivaled, and bar none the best looking racer on the planet(we all know this). i can honestly say it deserves a solid 8, there are more cars, more tracks,more events in the tour mode with more coming in free DLC, aswell as tons of online challenges. with Actual working servers. Hopefully evo(and other companies) learn from that horrible launch, and not to rush a product out the door, that is 30% of what the game is today.

At first, i was not going to buy it period, i was going to listen to the reviews and stay away period, but eventually i knew the game would become mended, and boy am i glad i bought it, because man is it fun as hell. But seriously, sometimes i sit in awe of how stunning it looks..

Enjoy the eye candy sw.

But i still do wonder when that PS+ version will drop, though the sells have been great, more people need to play it.. to experience it for what it truly is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

I've enjoyed it too, i really want to pick up a racing wheel for it. The challenges on different parts of the track really keeps you concentrating as there's something to push yourself for on every corner, i've found i get bored of most other racers as some races become a bit of slog.

TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TorqueHappens08

Jesus christ...look what this idiot left on my video....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From protossX

this game plays like shit

has 1000 less cars than forza and they all drive like crap

cant wait for forza motorsport 6 a real good game this shit needs to end its like 3rd party playstation game like midnight club

omg what ap iece of shit i knew this game would suck and knew kids like u would buy it an says its fine dude the game sucks bro srry its not a triple AAA like forza

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL!!! what the **** is wrong with this kid, i think hes just mentally unstable... I literally can't stop laughing right now XD Can't tell if troll or Robotapple.

Banned your crazy ass from my channel ProtossX

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45089 Posts

Definity a solid racer.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

Definity a solid racer.

A solid 5 score.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

I agree, game is fun as hell

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Definity a solid racer.

A solid 5 score.

5Game_Basic

TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TorqueHappens08

@MonsieurX: at launch, i'd say it deserved that 5, but as of now, definitely an 8. Goes to show companies just can't go pushing unfinished buggy products out the door, which seems to be the trend with sony.(GT6)

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Surprisingly I am enjoying this game as well. Glad they got their shit together and sorted it out, it's actually a pretty cool game.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#10  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

A solid flop on all counts. Just not in the same league as superior games like Forza Horizon 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Definity a solid racer.

A solid 5 score.

Heavy Rain was also game of the year.

TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TorqueHappens08

No doubt It flopped, to bad they won't re review it, which seems to be a trend with other sites... but i don't care for reviews, i care for fun intense challenging racing with an amazing sense of speed, and drive club delivers. the visuals and audio just add to the overall experience of a game that should not be missed if you are a big fan or casual of the racing genre.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

Great game, haven't encountered any problems. Love the dynamic weather and rain.

It doesn't feel "alive" to me though. Can't exactly explain it, but an example would be the music, it's all techno. I enjoy myself some good driving music.

I would love to have classical opera as the stig does on topgear. That would be bad ass.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Yea.. after the fixes it turned out to be a pretty good racer. But with this AND NFS.. I think im goid on racers for a while.. unless someone makes another kart racer besides MK.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Sounds like I'll give it a pick up after BloodBorne and The Order 1886.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

dat rain tho dayuuum. Not into racing games unless im drunk and playing split screen with friends but i will get the PS+ version to see what's up

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

Thanks for posting this Torque. I might have to give it a try now. Wasn't sure how the game was considering the terrible state the game was in at launch.

TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TorqueHappens08

@sirk1264: No problem, i'm on it right now, Love the new japanese tracks.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

I heard the ai is atrocious.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wolverine4262

@polishkid99 said:

Great game, haven't encountered any problems. Love the dynamic weather and rain.

It doesn't feel "alive" to me though. Can't exactly explain it, but an example would be the music, it's all techno. I enjoy myself some good driving music.

I would love to have classical opera as the stig does on topgear. That would be bad ass.

FH2 has a classical music station and its awesome.

TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TorqueHappens08

@wolverine4262: before yes, But Now they are intelligent and very competitive, before they seemed to just endlessly slam into you trying to stay on the race line, as you can see in my video, the Ai is rather good..very fast and smart.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wolverine4262

@TorqueHappens08: So its been changed? Good on them

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

To me it looks like a nice tech demo, but then again i don't really like arcade racers much unless they are over the top crashes and stuff.

This just looks like it's trying to be Gran Turismo but without the proper physics.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@lostrib said:

@MonsieurX said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Definity a solid racer.

A solid 5 score.

5Game_Basic

lmfao *dead*

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

Not true.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

Hell no. And the AI is also aggressive as hell. Normally wouldn't be a problem, but some of the tracks' lanes are not wide at all. So it's really hard if you're in a group. Get spun out a lot.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I love the game and the graphics are gorgeous. After all the updates I would recommend it if you can find it cheap. That being said it's nowhere near Forza, ( not really a sim) so don't get your hopes too high and you'll have a lot of fun.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Did they fix the AI very recently, because when I played it, it was horrible.

Most braindead, sticking-to-driveline AI I've ever seen. The fact that you get penalized for them slamming into you is garbage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@freedomfreak said:

Did they fix the AI very recently, because when I played it, it was horrible.

Most braindead, sticking-to-driveline AI I've ever seen. The fact that you get penalized for them slamming into you is garbage.

Not every racing game is a sim type game. Driveclub is more along the lines of old school arcade racing games crossed with a more down to earth physics model. Your statement writes off so many good racing games.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 freedomfreak
@Heirren said:

Not every racing game is a sim type game. Driveclub is more along the lines of old school arcade racing games crossed with a more down to earth physics model. Your statement writes off so many good racing games.

So, having braindead, sticking-to-driveline AI is just a thing of some good old school racers?

Please.

And I didn't criticize the game for being an arcade racer. I'm criticizing the AI.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@freedomfreak said:

@Heirren said:

So, having braindead, sticking-to-driveline AI is just a thing of some good old school racers?

Please.

And I didn't criticize the game for being an arcade racer. I'm criticizing the AI.

The statement was just so general. I agree with you somewhat--but if a game has a good connection between the player, car, and track? That is the big one, imo. The thing Driveclub does well is the actual racing. Most people and publications even seem to agree on this.

But you are right to an extent. You reminded me of Road Rash. That game has better AI than Driveclub. Maybe the market mixed up the developers. Arcadey racing games don't seem to do that well, do they? So instead of going one way they dried to make it sort of this and sort of that.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 freedomfreak
@Heirren said:

The statement was just so general. I agree with you somewhat--but if a game has a good connection between the player, car, and track? That is the big one, imo. The thing Driveclub does well is the actual racing. Most people and publications even seem to agree on this.

But you are right to an extent. You reminded me of Road Rash. That game has better AI than Driveclub. Maybe the market mixed up the developers. Arcadey racing games don't seem to do that well, do they? So instead of going one way they dried to make it sort of this and sort of that.

I don't dig that connection. The AI reacts to nothing. It just drives its line. If you're in the way, you simply get smashed for being there. Not to mention the game straight up penalizes you for that, which is nonsense. The AI spun me out, and I supposedly "cut a corner" because it, causing the game to give me that acceleration penalty.

I like the driving. I like the drifting. I don't mind tough AI at all, but I'd prefer it if the races feel like everyone's competing with each other rather than 9 AI versus 1 Player.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@freedomfreak said:

@Heirren said:

I don't dig that connection. The AI reacts to nothing. It just drives its line. If you're in the way, you simply get smashed for being there. Not to mention the game straight up penalizes you for that, which is nonsense. The AI spun me out, and I supposedly "cut a corner" because it, causing the game to give me that acceleration penalty.

I like the driving. I like the drifting. I don't mind tough AI at all, but I'd prefer it if the races feel like everyone's competing with each other rather than 9 AI versus 1 Player.

I can't disagree with you. However, decent driving ai seems to be the exception. Poor ai in the original Gran Turismo didn't really bother me. It depends what you expect, though. The ai in racing games is more of a way to checkpoint the player as far as what time is needed for X track at X difficulty. But again I agree that if a game expects you to conform to a driving line--or encourage a more think ahead style--the ai could at least give the impression it is aware you are even on the track.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@TorqueHappens08:

There's more cars: How many now, since it launched with only 50 of them, no track cars, no japanese models, no american brands, and no Lambos or Astons?

There's more tracks: How many more, considering the game launched with the standart 25 with reverses?

They fixed the online: Cool, but it was working fine for reviewers, that's not the reason the game not mixed scores.

Does it performance tuning? Tire and physical damage? Endurance races, or any mode that isn't a sprint/circuit/drift event? Does it have AI companion options? Pit stops? Visual customization more involded that a new basic decals and paints?

Anything, besides looking amazing visually (true) that games like GRID Autosport, Forza Motorsport 5, Assetto Corsa or Project Cars don't do? To use more recent and familiar examples.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

They should have kept it in the oven and launched it in its current state, or closer to that than what we got. What a wasted potential, but at least they haven't abandoned it and are improving it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44553 Posts

looks like someone succumbed to system exclusive Stockholm syndrome

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@wolverine4262:

really? Thanks for letting me know. I'll pick it up when i get an xone soon.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I thought it was gonna be pretty damn bad (apart from the graphics) but i picked it up not too long ago and it's a pretty decent racer and absolutely beautiful to look at.

So yeah, competent arcade racer with probably the best graphics in a racer to date.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By freedomfreak
@Heirren said:

I can't disagree with you. However, decent driving ai seems to be the exception. Poor ai in the original Gran Turismo didn't really bother me. It depends what you expect, though. The ai in racing games is more of a way to checkpoint the player as far as what time is needed for X track at X difficulty. But again I agree that if a game expects you to conform to a driving line--or encourage a more think ahead style--the ai could at least give the impression it is aware you are even on the track.

Exactly. I wouldn't care nearly as much if I didn't end up getting punished for their incompetence.

TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TorqueHappens08

The physics seem definitely simcade to me, rather than specifically arcade, the way you have to remember your corner entries, follow the apex and balance braking and acceleration, you can't just power through a corner, you will either spin or slam into the wall which will effect your laptimes. After a while, you will notice a certain finesse to the physics engine, it's not as in depth as Forza motorsports or GT but it is quite good, especially when you actually start trying to take off seconds for a better lap time. it's quite engaging. especially on the race circuits.

though i have to admit the brakes in the game are a bit too strong, even on a mini cooper GP which has powerful brakes in real life...but no where near this powerful.

Anyway, that's my take on the physics engine.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@lamprey263: That is a stupidass comment when you see TC actually wrote shit out and posted a captured video.

Even by your stillborn baby joke standards that was a stupid comment.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

On topic, game actually looks fun to play now and the increasingly positive impressions are good to hear when more racers are turning towards open world, a design aspect I've never seen work well with open world racers.

I'm still gonna wait it out for the PS+ edition because Sony's shitty promise was shitty.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@TorqueHappens08 said:

Jesus christ...look what this idiot left on my video....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From protossX

this game plays like shit

has 1000 less cars than forza and they all drive like crap

cant wait for forza motorsport 6 a real good game this shit needs to end its like 3rd party playstation game like midnight club

omg what ap iece of shit i knew this game would suck and knew kids like u would buy it an says its fine dude the game sucks bro srry its not a triple AAA like forza

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL!!! what the **** is wrong with this kid, i think hes just mentally unstable... I literally can't stop laughing right now XD Can't tell if troll or Robotapple.

Banned your crazy ass from my channel ProtossX

I miss RobotApple!

TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TorqueHappens08

I will be making a video, showcasing the physics engine in a high powered RWD sports car, so you can get a jist of it. the difference between rain and dry.

TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TorqueHappens08

@Motokid6: It's a simcade moto, it's not like nfs, you actually have to put in an effort to get good laptimes, you can't just power through corners and bounce off of walls to win. and if you overshoot turns or forget braking points you will crash straight into a barrier or guardrail. this is not a hold acceleration and go game like rivals or burnout, it's more way complex then that, if you were to drive on it like you would an traditional arcade racing game, you would get nowhere except crashing into everything and spinning out at every turn.

as for the penalties, i have not encountered that yet.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By wolverine4262

@Chutebox said:

Hell no. And the AI is also aggressive as hell. Normally wouldn't be a problem, but some of the tracks' lanes are not wide at all. So it's really hard if you're in a group. Get spun out a lot.

That sounds horrible. Not to mention the penalties involved.

TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TorqueHappens08

@wolverine4262: Ultimately wolverine, you will have to try it out for yourself, when ever the PS+ version comes along, until then i can stick by saying the AI is very competitive and have given me some great racers so far, way better then rammers and punters online. as for penalties i have not ran into many, except accidentally cutting a corner too deep.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By wolverine4262

@TorqueHappens08: Dont have a PS4 so that wont happen. Im hearing that quite often the game over punishes you by having an overaggressive ai ram into you at every mistake and then when that happens you are penalized for it as well. Really sounds half baked and weird.

I dont understand why a racing game with a halfway competent physics engine needs those sorta penalties anyway. Im quite happy with FH2. Content wise it is insane and the offroad races are crazy fun. To me, it really feel like the perfect spiritual successor to PGR. Im glad MS picked up much of Bizzare's team.