Dreams is Sony's Crackdown 3. Both games made big promises at launch.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

Which game will be better in 2019?

I remember Dreams being teased at the launch of PS4 just like Crackdown 3 was for MS. Both games have taken the entire generation to come to fruition and both games are slated to release 2019. The promises made for both of these games were pretty ambitions. Is Dreams is Sony's Crackdown 3?

Which game do you think will live up to the promises hinted at during their initial reveal and which do you think will be the better game?

Here is some of the most recent Dreams footage, Media Molecule recreated an entire Little Big Planet level using only Dreams tools.

The implications here is that you could potentially recreate any indie game of your DREAMS if you were so inclined. Quite ambitious, which would explain the incredibly long development time of this project.

There was a semi-closed beta for Dreams on Dec 19th so people are play testing it now. There is also going to be a larger closed beta for Dreams starting Jan 8 which you can sign up for now.

us sign up here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2018/dreams-creators-beta-trial-sign-ups/

EU sign up here: https://beta.software.eu.playstation.com/en-gb/dreams

Excited or no interest? Impressed or skeptical? BOTW or Sea of Thieves?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@boxrekt: I think Dreams looks like what was promised. I don't think it will sell well, and lems on here will st*t all over it I'm sure. But I think people who were interested will get what they paid for

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45238 Posts

TC sounds like a newb. Media Molecule hasn't made a bad game yet.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7254 Posts

I want to play crackdown 3 over dreams even after development hell its had. I have no idea what dreams is trying to be.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BoxRekt

@xantufrog said:

@boxrekt: I think Dreams looks like what was promised. I don't think it will sell well, and lems on here will st*t all over it I'm sure. But I think people who were interested will get what they paid for

I have seen that a lot of people here do not like Sony games because they are a lot of 3rd person cinematic action games.

Doesn't Dreams single handily resolve that problem?

Loading Video...

This shows 2d side scrollers to open world space shooters and multiple other genre. There is even online multiplayer which I hear will be given access post-launch.

If so, shouldn't Dreams get the most praise from those groups who all hate Sony's other titles?

I don't know if Dreams will be able deliver on this incredible promise, basically allowing you to recreate any indie game that has ever been made created but the people who are vocal about hating Sony games usually say it's because they're only cinematic move games with no multiplaer.

Dreams could, potentially, recreate 70% from this generations games from Dreams tools alone, borderline dangerous thinking of copyrights implications, but amazing at the same time lol. Smash Bros PS4 anyone?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69736 Posts

I would be amazed if this game does well. PS4 demographic doesn't seem like the type of gamers who would be interesting in spending hours making their own games.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 robert_sparkes

Media molecule could get the boot after this game. It seems to me that it's gone too far down the road for sony to cancel and just have to ship it. I will be staggered if this views well.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BoxRekt

@robert_sparkes said:

I want to play crackdown 3 over dreams even after development hell its had. I have no idea what dreams is trying to be.

It's a powerful create and share game engine like Little Big Planet but far more flexible.

Media Molecule is aspiring to create the most advanced create and share game ever made and will have a campaign included which is more or less a demonstration of how diverse and flexible there game/tool set is.

If you didn't want to create anything, you could still play all the other games other people have created and shared along with being able to use their in game assets to help create your own game.

In theory, you could create Crackdown 3 itself using Dreams.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

That's the first time I've seen anything of dreams and I don't know why people are laughing about it. Looks pretty interesting.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

I'd take Crackdown 3 over Dreams in a split second... and I'm not even that hyped for Crackdown.

@robert_sparkes said:

Media molecule could get the boot after this game. It seems to me that it's gone too far down the road for sony to cancel and just have to ship it. I will be staggered if this views well.

Yeah, could be the end of the line for Media Molecule... or they'll be forced to make the same games as the rest of the Sony 1st party studios.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44284 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Same here. I’m not really expecting much from Crackdown 3 but between that and Dreams I’ll take Crackdown 3 over it all day, every day.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

I am going to play both but I'm more interest playing Dreams more so then Crackdown 3.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

This game should be on Xbox. At least that way the lems can make some exclusives to play.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@boxrekt: just get a switch bro, your not going to get ps4 smash from dreams... In your dreams lmao

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

I really don't mean offense to anyone. But the way I heard about Dreams made me think of Project Spark.

Very niche.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

dreams is a poor man's mario maker

project spark was just shit

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

crackdown 3 is a masterpiece compared to this shit.

media molecule still living in the ps3 era thinking they have to one up nintendos wiimote

lol

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

Dreams will flop hard. Those that are really into spending hours creating games will love it though.

I'd say dreams is closer to SoT than crackdown 3 in that SoT is passionately loved by those playing it, but most don't see the attraction. Crackdown 3 looks like it will do pretty well.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@sealionact: dude nobody is plopping down 60 dollars on crackdown 3 what are you talking about

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

As a creation tool it seems much much richer then Mario Maker not even close. The mistake though it needed to be like a Mario Maker or LB before it to sell. It could have found success if there was a recognisable game with a character tied to it. Right now its asking for creators to carry it before the consumers too much. That is not a good ratio.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Sure. Whatever you need to post to make yourself feel better.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Still no Deep Down either.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

I think there's a lot more riding on Crackdown 3 than on Dreams.

I mean, Crackdown is Microsoft's big shot at making a worthwhile Xbox One exclusive, whereas Dreams is a much smaller project that will probably be forgotten a year from now.

I don't really care which will do better though. I have zero interest in Crackdown, and I already have a PC for player-made content (also, has Media Molecule ever made a game that didn't have shitty controls?).

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BoxRekt

@pelvist said:

Still no Deep Down either.

I think that game was either low key axed or used those assets to create Monster Hunter World

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15943 Posts

Media Molecule has never created a bad game before if anyone is asking.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8487 Posts

Is tgob banned or something? It looks like he created a new alt.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BoxRekt

@ProtossRushX said:

No, Mario Maker is 2D only, you can create any genre in Dreams and anything that could have been made in Mario Maker.

As for Project Spark it was a great concept from MS that they botched by trying to force service based microtansactions on to the user.

MS implemented, Spark Time, where you needed credits in order to play the game, I.E. a pay to play infrastructure. And then there was microtransaction type loot boxes/create packs that restricted development features like props, colors and features behind pay walls.

Furthermore Project Sparks was notorious for having game killing bugs and glitches. You couldn't search for games via game creator or game type, you were simply given a generic list of games and the voting system was removed so you wouldn't know if a game was worth your time or not.

Dreams solves most of the problems MS created for themselves that helped kill Project Spark, that said Project Spark was arguably the best original game they created this generation.

In the end MS didn't kill Project Spark because there wasn't interest, they killed it because they bought Minecraft and didn't want to have internal competition with another creation game under their brand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Maybe, but at least Media Molecule has a good track record. What has Realtime worlds done before of relevancy? Crackdown 1 and 2? lol

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9555 Posts

As unconventional as it seems to some here, dreams has a better chance of performing here. MM has a pristine track record that lends them a lot of credibility. I wouldn't compare it to crackdown 3.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Dreams should score better. It is very creative and ambitious.

Crackdown 3 vs. Days Gone seems like a more fair battle. Will either game even hit 70 ? Only time will tell.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11133 Posts
@joshrmeyer said:

This game should be on Xbox. At least that way the lems can make some exclusives to play.

They had a game creation tool, and they completely blew it. MS can literally be a black hole for games sometimes.

Splintah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Splintah
Member since 2019 • 32 Posts

I expect Crackdown will be a fairly successful launch

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts
@pc_rocks said:

Wait, tgob got banned? WTF?!

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

Media Molecule actually makes good games though. Who knows how Dreams will sell but it will be a well received game critically.

Meanwhile Crackdown 3 will be a big piece of shit all around.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BoxRekt

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@joshrmeyer said:

They had a game creation tool, and they completely blew it. MS can literally be a black hole for games sometimes.

The game was supported by fans, but after MS purchased mojang and Minecraft in 2014 they silently killed off Project Spark because they didn't want to have competition against their newly purchased billion dollar franchise from within their own studios.

I believe Dreams will have even more success than Project Spark because there are no microtransactions, all tools are given up front. And it seems like a very polished and user friendly program to work with.

I expect critical success and personally nominate it for GOTY based on what I've seen so far. I also absolutely believe it will have commercial success and will be more successful the longer it's out and people wrap their head around what can be done in the game.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8487 Posts

@davillain- said:
@pc_rocks said:

Wait, tgob got banned? WTF?!

Don't know! That's why I asked because the TC is definitely his alt, not that tgob wasn't an alt to begin with.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15943 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@joshrmeyer said:

The game was supported by fans, but after MS purchased mojang and Minecraft in 2014 they silently killed off Project Spark because they didn't want to have competition against their newly purchased billion dollar franchise from within their own studios.

I believe Dreams will have even more success than Project Spark because there are no microtransactions, all tools are given up front. And it seems like a very polished and user friendly program to work with.

I expect critical success and personally nominate it for GOTY based on what I've seen so far. I also absolutely believe it will have commercial success and will be more successful the longer it's out and people wrap their head around what can be done in the game.

Hope it didnt end up like tearaway (also by media molecule). Amazing game, 87% on meta for vita ver and one of the best platformer ever in my opinion but nobody played it.

Nobody played the ps4 port either

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

I prefer Sony but I'd rather play Crack Down 3 for a few days than Dreams but I'd rather play CD3 than LBP so whatever.

Tearaway was cute though.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

They both look like crap, although Dreams doesn't look as crappy as Crackdown 3. However, the ability to create and play a bunch of crappy mini games seems rather dull.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I thought you said "Dreams is Sony's CRACK", and I was like, yep that's about right.

Cause they certainly were smoking crack when they thought it was a good idea to build a game builder that ONLY accepts PS4 controllers. Sounds and looks like a nightmare, and I personally have no desire to try such a thing, maybe if they had way better VR controllers.

I have way more doubts about Dreams than I do Crackdown 3. I'm pretty sure I Crackdown 3 will be essentially what I'm expecting, destruction and all. With Dreams, it really seems to be putting everything on the idea that people will buy the game and make the game.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By robert_sparkes

I'm not intereted in creating anything I want to play a great visually created world enjoying the story. I don't know the market for dreams should be a vr game.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@the-a-baum said:

On this forum, it it wasn't for PS4 fanTards Crackdown 3 would have no hype at all.

You knuckleheads bring it up every week! No one else does!

One more time...The Cloud processing mutliplayer destruction engine team they were using was purchased by a competitor and they had to start over and build their own. Hence the delays.

It's designed to look a like a Comic Book come to life and has been since day 1, never was supposed to be photo realistic.

The only reason my hype built for this game is from Cows trying to crap on it and posting Videos, that i thought looked pretty fun.

Cows are just starved with no games this year and no information ie no PSX no E3! And all done with their 1 play through and done games. So they all have Mad Cow Disease!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

It's comparing apples to oranges. The scope and design for both games is so different! That stated, I'm far more interested in Dreams. If Sony puts some marketing money behind it, and assuming it lives up to its premise, they could have a decent hit on their hands.

Dream will certainly appealed to the LBP, Roblox, and Minecraft types -- which is a really large group. Sony needs to market to these ones.