Dreams is a god-tier game. But neckbeards and fragheads will overlook it

• 97 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#52 Posted by SolidGame_basic (23935 posts) -

@xantufrog: I think it's just semantics. It seems like SW likes to define what a game is. My post was more tongue in cheek. Media Molecule has a great track record. I think this game will be great.

#53 Posted by DocSanchez (5150 posts) -

It looks pretty good but I suspect like LBP I'll download a few creations to impress me then move on quickly. I don't think it's going to be for me unfortunately.

#54 Posted by DocSanchez (5150 posts) -

@KBFloYd: Obsessed.

If I wanted to make Nintendo fanboys look bad I'd create an alt that pretty much parroted you.

#55 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25129 posts) -
@Chutebox said:

Yet I was bored to tears with LBP. Big meh.

Same. LBP was a game that seemed like it had a good amount of content for a platformer, but all of it was incredibly mediocre or just downright poor.

#56 Posted by MonsieurX (38896 posts) -

Playing terrible recreations of other popular games but with shitty gameplay instead? Awesome!

#57 Posted by DaVillain- (35441 posts) -

@jaydan said:
@Sagemode87 said:

Are you guys dense? Have you ever played a little big planet game? This isn't just software for making levels. If Little Big Planet is anything to go by, It'll have its own story with levels made by the developers. After finishing the story, there's levels you can make on your own or you can play community levels. They don't just give you a blank canvas.

Why yes, LittleBigPlanet is one of the worst platforming games out there. If you think LBP has substantial platforming mechanics, then you probably have not played many platforming games.

Little Big Planet on PS3 of it's time was alot of fun, it had everything a creation kit would let you do and when Little Big Planet 2 launch, it was more the same, barely anything new and I never bother with Little Big Planet 3 cause it was more the same and I'm glad I dodge that game. From what I heard, LBP3 was outsourced by a new developer, it was a buggy mess and it was the end for that series. The series should have ended after LBP2.

LBP was a game that, for me at least had amazing possibilities until you played it and realized the game development sucks. LBP was good for last-gen but it sure isn't for this gen.

#58 Posted by knight-k (2533 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Playing terrible recreations of other popular games but with shitty gameplay instead? Awesome!

"Everything innovative coming from sony is bad!!"

Lol you trolls will be owned when reviews come out.

And I love how you all underrate this gem.

#59 Posted by MonsieurX (38896 posts) -

@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:

What's innovative from this? Where did I said it's bad?

How can people underrate this gem if it's not even out? Have you played it?

#60 Posted by DaVillain- (35441 posts) -

@knight-k said:

Feel free to add me to you're future owned list cause I don't think Dreams will be big as Minecraft is now. This should be fun :P

#61 Posted by NoodleFighter (10060 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

So user generated content is suddenly good now? As I said in another thread:

Wait, did I just see someone saying Dreams is the best game because you can create all the indie games (supposedly) in it? Cool, that means Unity3D and UE4 are not engines but the bestest games ever made because not just indies you can make AAA games with it for free.

Oh and all that is we forget that level editors goes as far back as 1981 with Odyssey and did anyone forgot Minecraft? Or thousands of games with level editors/mods. I mean yup, SOny really did make an innovative game NEVER have been done in the past.

@jaydan said:
@i_p_daily said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:

This game is even more revolutionary then the original Little Big Planet. And thats saying ALOT

Yeah its revolutionary that devs sell game creation tools and the gamers who buy this shit are the tools who have paid for it lol.

Basically all this proves is Dreams will be the game where you get to play mediocre versions of better games. Cows get so hasty; if the PS4 really is the exclusive king here, then why are they just using Dreams to recreate levels from exclusives they don't have?

@foxhound_fox said:

Oh look, another "game-making game."

How is this revolutionary exactly? There have been game-making games for decades. Essentially you are saying because it let's you create 2/10 versions of famous games, it's somehow going to completely shake up the gaming world?

If I want to play Dark Souls, Zelda or Metal Gear, I'll pickup a copy of that actual game and play that.

@Sevenizz said:

You sheep are in for a rude awakening. These game-making-games get boring extremely fast. Your third or fourth game you enter where you thinking you’re playing something bigger than it could possibly be, will just feel like the other three games you entered and exited just as fast.

LMAO it's hilarious that for years cows have been talking trash about indie games and especially indie games for PC saying that they're made by basement dwelling nobodies on a $2 budget. They talked about how mods are terrible and only inferior games use mods and other player created content. But suddenly a PS4 exclusive becomes what they trash talked and now they're hyping it to the heavens as if it's some groundbreaking thing.

Sorry to break it to you cows but Dreams ain't new or groundbreaking. Because you see back in 2004 there was this thing called Garry's Mod that came out. It's not even just used to make game modes and to screw around. It has a very large and dedicated animation community as well.

Loading Video...

#62 Posted by knight-k (2533 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:
@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:

Yup, was in beta.

Srsly you guys underestimate this game so hard...But so did I.

#63 Posted by Mandzilla (3786 posts) -

Well I appreciate creative games, so hopefully this does well when it comes out.

#64 Posted by knight-k (2533 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@knight-k said:

Feel free to add me to you're future owned list cause I don't think Dreams will be big as Minecraft is now. This should be fun :P

I'm not saying it will be as big as Minecraft. (almost no game is) But I'm talking about quality, it has so much potential and is srsly underrated.

Potential Game of the gen.

#65 Posted by NoodleFighter (10060 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@jaydan said:
@Sagemode87 said:

Are you guys dense? Have you ever played a little big planet game? This isn't just software for making levels. If Little Big Planet is anything to go by, It'll have its own story with levels made by the developers. After finishing the story, there's levels you can make on your own or you can play community levels. They don't just give you a blank canvas.

Why yes, LittleBigPlanet is one of the worst platforming games out there. If you think LBP has substantial platforming mechanics, then you probably have not played many platforming games.

Little Big Planet on PS3 of it's time was alot of fun, it had everything a creation kit would let you do and when Little Big Planet 2 launch, it was more the same, barely anything new and I never bother with Little Big Planet 3 cause it was more the same and I'm glad I dodge that game. From what I heard, LBP3 was outsourced by a new developer, it was a buggy mess and it was the end for that series. The series should have ended after LBP2.

LBP was a game that, for me at least had amazing possibilities until you played it and realized the game development sucks. LBP was good for last-gen but it sure isn't for this gen.

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Chutebox said:

Same. LBP was a game that seemed like it had a good amount of content for a platformer, but all of it was incredibly mediocre or just downright poor.

To be honest I felt that Media Molecule and LittleBigPlanet only existed to a be competitor to Nintendo games since last gen Nintendo was dominating with the Wii. Sony decided they needed a Mario-esque child friendly mascot and game series to win over the Nintendo audience. But they just couldn't nail exactly what made the Mario games mass appealing. That is probably why this gen all they've done is Dreams and Tearaway (which also a remake and port of the Vita game) and Sony has stopped with trying to make their own competitors to Nintendo games like Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting. The last LittleBigPlanet game got an 79 on metacritic and it was developed by sumo digital.

I feel that Media Molecule is only being kept around so Sony can say 'See we make things besides third person action adventure games! We're very open to creativity!'. If Dreams flops I won't be surprised if Media Molecule "coincidentally" decided that their next game would be a third person action adventure. Sony doesn't really need Media Molecule anymore since their console is in first place and the formula for exclusives they have now is working out better than last gen which had way more variety.

#66 Posted by Sushiglutton (7109 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@Sushiglutton: That's because the "game" is making games. Most average Joes are not going to make something worth a damn with it. Some will. But the fun is in being creative and making something. It's like Legos in video game form. For some people that ISN'T fun, and that's ok

Ok, that's a fair point. Nothing wrong with enjoying creating stuff. I just feel sometime people exaggerate the value of these sort of things. Like you are getting tons of games in one package, when you are in fact getting one building platform and tons of mediocre fluff that may e fun as inspiration, but not as games.

#67 Posted by Sagemode87 (1379 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@jaydan said:
@Sagemode87 said:

That's a very unfair statement LBP3 had more mechanics because of the extra characters How was it more of the same . Was it perfectly polished?? No but was still a lot of fun.

#68 Edited by DocSanchez (5150 posts) -
@mandzilla said:

Well I appreciate creative games, so hopefully this does well when it comes out.

I hope it does well too. Original games in this day and age deserve to be rewarded. It goes far beyond the level of LBP.

Also, people complaining this is Sony getting gamers to make their games for them, doesn't make any sense.

These creations will be free once you've bought the game, so there is no element of gouging here. We're not talking about bethesda trying to charge for other people's mods here.

#69 Posted by Ten_Pints (3704 posts) -

Once people start uploading games that feature bestiality people will take notice.

#70 Posted by lundy86_4 (52323 posts) -

Definitely not for me.

#71 Posted by DaVillain- (35441 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

Also, people complaining this is Sony getting gamers to make their games for them, doesn't make any sense.

That part never ever made any sense to me. It's just another way fanboys trying to be clever coming up something new and it still doesn't make sense.

#72 Posted by DocSanchez (5150 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@DocSanchez said:

That part never ever made any sense to me. It's just another way fanboys trying to be clever coming up something new and it still doesn't make sense.

If Sony were charging people every time they shared a game, it would make sense. But they aren't.

#73 Posted by BlackBalls (1498 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Didn’t much care about Little Big Planet, don’t much care for Dreams.

You say that about every PS4 exclusive, fanboy lem.

#74 Posted by Archangel3371 (27339 posts) -

@blackballs: Wrong as usual.

#75 Posted by Mandzilla (3786 posts) -
@DocSanchez said:
@mandzilla said:

I hope it does well too. Original games in this day and age deserve to be rewarded. It goes far beyond the level of LBP.

These creations will be free once you've bought the game, so there is no element of gouging here. We're not talking about bethesda trying to charge for other people's mods here.

Absolutely. I see it in a similar category as Little Big Planet, Mario Maker, Minecraft etc. The only limit to the fun and creations being your imagination.

Although if you're lazy like me, you can just let the really talented folks do the hard work, then play their stuff lol.

#76 Posted by jaydan (2080 posts) -
@Sagemode87 said:
@davillain- said:
@jaydan said:
@Sagemode87 said:

That's a very unfair statement LBP3 had more mechanics because of the extra characters How was it more of the same . Was it perfectly polished?? No but was still a lot of fun.

Adding more shit to a pile of shit does not make it good. They could have at least worked on the existing mechanics and made them better, but they didn't.

#77 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25129 posts) -
@NoodleFighter said:
@davillain- said:
@jaydan said:
@Sagemode87 said:

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Chutebox said:

To be honest I felt that Media Molecule and LittleBigPlanet only existed to a be competitor to Nintendo games since last gen Nintendo was dominating with the Wii. Sony decided they needed a Mario-esque child friendly mascot and game series to win over the Nintendo audience. But they just couldn't nail exactly what made the Mario games mass appealing. That is probably why this gen all they've done is Dreams and Tearaway (which also a remake and port of the Vita game) and Sony has stopped with trying to make their own competitors to Nintendo games like Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting. The last LittleBigPlanet game got an 79 on metacritic and it was developed by sumo digital.

I feel that Media Molecule is only being kept around so Sony can say 'See we make things besides third person action adventure games! We're very open to creativity!'. If Dreams flops I won't be surprised if Media Molecule "coincidentally" decided that their next game would be a third person action adventure. Sony doesn't really need Media Molecule anymore since their console is in first place and the formula for exclusives they have now is working out better than last gen which had way more variety.

It's not uncommon that these "create your game within a game" games fail at actual game creating. Garry's mod was the same concept, and most of the things created within it were pretty poor, but awesome things were created using the actual Half Life SDK. Garry's mod succeeded because it was goofy, and you could have 16 players or more in the same space all creating content at the same time.

I guess some console players just aren't used to being able to create your own game, and think it'll be the bee's knees, when in reality, no good mods/games are actually made with these "game creator" games.

#78 Posted by NoodleFighter (10060 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95: The main problem with these game creator games is that you can really only create what the developer anticipates and allows. Which is most likely why Dreams has taken almost the entire generation to come out because the devs have to anticipate what types of stuff people will try to make. But if they try to anticipate and make tools and assests for everything at that point they might as well just make it a full blown game engine and 3D model maker. Also because this on consoles it's even more limited in what can you do due to hardware limitations plus using a controller will be a pain. Say I wanted to make Minecraft and no game like Minecraft ever existed before, can't make it in the game creator since the devs never thought about a game like that and if I can it will most likely be very watered down. Say I wanna make a game with an anime art style, I can't because the devs chose this cartoony fluffy style and any attempts at trying to imitate it just make it look worse. Say I wanna make a platformer but the movement/gravity is too floaty for my taste but I can't change that because the creator doesn't allow it or have the setting I desire.

Eventually what you want to make will be too complex and/or big for the game creator to handle and a lot of the good mods/game will very likely fall in that category. Which is often why some mods become full blown standalone games.

The PC platform excels way better at this because PCs are used for game development and more importantly an open platform so they do not have same limitations as consoles. Which is why these game creator games don't really exist on it. The devs just throw us the SDK/sandbox editor and let us do whatever. We have professional software to make our stuff with.

The overwhelming majority of console players aren't use to having a lot of control over creation and customization so a game like Dreams is groundbreaking to them while for PC gamers it is nothing special. Seeing cows hype up Dreams as some groundbreaking thing all I can think is 'Good luck trying to compete with this stuff made on PC'.

These are all examples of what kind of stuff you can do when you're not limited by a game creator game. This is the type of stuff that I doubt Dreams will produce and if it can a very low quality water downed version. Nearly all of these mods kick started peoples' game development careers. Most of these mods ended up being standalone games or produced sequels that were standalone. Some of these mods/SDK became very popular and influential on the gaming industry. The developers of these mods later on became fairly successful such as the creators of Insurgency, Natural Selection, Red Orchestra, Killing Floor and Age Of Chivalry.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

#79 Posted by ProtossRushX (5202 posts) -

little big planet sucked and this looks worse than that.

it looks like project spark.

I like these games like mario maker and stuff but this one looks bad I already made a post saying how great mario maker was compared to little big planet and people just need to see the sales and go protossrushx was right yes he was what a smart guy

#81 Posted by I_P_Daily (11017 posts) -

@jaydan said:
@i_p_daily said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:
Loading Video...

This game is even more revolutionary then the original Little Big Planet. And thats saying ALOT

Yeah its revolutionary that devs sell game creation tools and the gamers who buy this shit are the tools who have paid for it lol.

Basically all this proves is Dreams will be the game where you get to play mediocre versions of better games. Cows get so hasty; if the PS4 really is the exclusive king here, then why are they just using Dreams to recreate levels from exclusives they don't have?

Very good question, and like I said to benji he secretly wants to play Crackdown 3 lol.

#82 Posted by I_P_Daily (11017 posts) -

@juarbles said:
@BassMan said:

If you want to create things, might as well get involved with Unity, Unreal Engine, etc.. Why waste time with a silly game like Dreams? It is better to use the tools that the big boys use and create your own game that you can sell after. Also, you will be learning skills and gaining experience that can lead to employment in the industry.

Well the developer of Dreams said that their aim is that people will create games with this and if good enough they could sell them on PSN. So you could actually be making money out of it if you get good enough. Also I imagine this is to also allow people with less programming experience to make games.

People buy gaming devices to play games on them, not to pay for a dev kit to make games, that's what a developer is for.

#83 Posted by PAL360 (29517 posts) -

LBP was great, but i never got into creating features.

Dreams is the opposite to me. During the beta, my time was 10% playing and 90% creating. Messing with the tools is that fun and intuitive in Dreams.

#84 Posted by SecretPolice (34930 posts) -

My goodness cows continue to have lower and lower standards as this gen progresses.

Poo cows need a hug me thinks. lol :P

#85 Posted by Maroxad (15216 posts) -

Looks pretty terrible tbh. Modding tools existed for a long time, and they been done before and done better.

@uninspiredcup said:

Halflife shipped with modding tools.

It was also game.

Half-life's modding tools also resulted in some of the best games ever made.

LBP, and by the looks of it this, will just result in Jank ripoffs of better games.

#86 Posted by shellcase86 (4321 posts) -

This is a buy for me 100%. I'll play and enjoy it, but my kids will get much more out of this than I will. I wish something like this came out when I was in my teens.

#87 Posted by Sgt_Crow (6056 posts) -

This looks like all those “hey look this is your favourite game recreated in UE4.”

Soulles and bland. Of course the hardcore cows see it as the second coming.

#88 Posted by cainetao11 (36413 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I'll pick it up just so I can make a better version of Crackdown 3 for the lems.

Make the MP capable of playing with friends and I'll hype it 11/10 LOL

#89 Posted by DocSanchez (5150 posts) -
@Litchie said:

If you don't put Sony's penis in your mouth, you're a neckbeard or fraghead. Got it.

By all means, do act like Dreams is the first game doing anything like this and go so far as to call it revolutionary. Let's also act like playing people's futile attempts at recreating other games in Dreams will be fun.

I do think it looks pretty cool. But if you're trying to promote the game, you're doing it wrong. With that said, I think this game would be about 5000 times better on PC. And if you're serious about creating a game, Dreams would be a very crappy tool of choice.

This post is incredibly confused. (Coming from someone not buying the game).

"Put sonys penis in your mouth"...sure. Looking forward to this game is exactly that. Cringeworthy.

"futile attempts at recreating other games"Bitterness

Yet....

"I think it's pretty cool,..." Okay....seems like you've bashed it but think it's pretty good...but hate it...but like the idea...but wish it was on PC...but glad it's not....

"But if you're trying to promote the game, you're doing it wrong" If it's pretty cool why not talk about it? And how is that promoting it?

Like I say, incredibly confused.

#90 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8441 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:
@knight-k said:
@MonsieurX said:

Where did you say it was bad is highlighted for you.

#91 Posted by Litchie (23476 posts) -
@DocSanchez said:
@Litchie said:

If you don't put Sony's penis in your mouth, you're a neckbeard or fraghead. Got it.

By all means, do act like Dreams is the first game doing anything like this and go so far as to call it revolutionary. Let's also act like playing people's futile attempts at recreating other games in Dreams will be fun.

I do think it looks pretty cool. But if you're trying to promote the game, you're doing it wrong. With that said, I think this game would be about 5000 times better on PC. And if you're serious about creating a game, Dreams would be a very crappy tool of choice.

This post is incredibly confused. (Coming from someone not buying the game).

1. "Put sonys penis in your mouth"...sure. Looking forward to this game is exactly that. Cringeworthy.

2. "futile attempts at recreating other games"Bitterness

Yet....

3. "I think it's pretty cool,..." Okay....seems like you've bashed it but think it's pretty good...but hate it...but like the idea...but wish it was on PC...but glad it's not....

4. "But if you're trying to promote the game, you're doing it wrong" If it's pretty cool why not talk about it? And how is that promoting it?

Like I say, incredibly confused.

1. I wasn't referring to "looking forward to the game", stop being silly. I was referring to calling the game revolutionary, which is what a Sony fanboy would do. He even called LBP revolutionary.

2. You think those recreations look fun to play yourself? Don't think so dude.

3. I bashed the thread. If you still want to see this as bashing the game, I don't care. It looks pretty cool as a creation tool. Would be much better and easier to use on a PC though. I did not say I hate the game or that I'm glad it's not on PC. You seem confused.

4. Someone making a Dreams thread, posting a video of it, calling it revolutionary is pretty much promoting the game, no? Posting a video of poor recreations of other games is a bad way to promote the game. But that's just my opinion. I'd gladly talk about it, but if someone is gonna be a fanboy, it's fun to call it out.

#92 Posted by michaelmikado (225 posts) -

As someone who got an Xbox One for the primary purpose running Project Spark, I was actually really uninterested in Dreams on its announcement because the art style presentation choices weren't up my alley.. Also most likely because I had already been burned pretty hard with Project Spark... My favorite editing tools to date remain tinkering in Unreal Engine but I'm willing to give this a try especially if since seeing things like this:

Loading Video...
#93 Edited by jeezers (2435 posts) -

(((G O D-T I E R)))

#94 Posted by BoxRekt (843 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

LBP was great, but i never got into creating features.

Dreams is the opposite to me. During the beta, my time was 10% playing and 90% creating. Messing with the tools is that fun and intuitive in Dreams.

It's funny how jealous and ignorant the whole community of system was is about this game. Not going to waste my time trying to inform and educate this peanut gallery.

They will all be severely embarrassed when Dreams scores AAA and win's 2019's GOTY.

Then I'll revisit these threads to poke fun and how clueless these so-called gamers are when it comes to recognizing a quality game.

#95 Edited by PAL360 (29517 posts) -

@boxrekt: People always dislike things they don't understand, and internet multiplies it for 1000. That's why indies are 'mobile games', games with a story are 'walking simulators', etc...

No game is for everyone...and Dreams, in particular, is too unique for mainstream crowd to understand. I do agree it has many GOTY awards on lock ;)

#97 Edited by Gatygun (1382 posts) -

Oh look another game creator where you can pay money to make your own game to be consumed by everybody else for free.

Guess they didn't got the message with LBP.

Guess the no man sky nutters have also joined the thread.

"you just don't understand man, its to complicated"

lul.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
#98 Posted by DarthaPerkinjan (1221 posts) -

For all you with tin foil fedora hats - this game is capable of much more then rip-offs of popular games.

Loading Video...