Dreamcast turns 20!!! Ps2 vs Dc?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Bilic42 (14 posts) -

I wish that dvd playback had been in both so there wouldn't any question

#2 Posted by PSP107 (17512 posts) -

@bilic42:

PS1/N64>>>>>DC?

#3 Posted by Bilic42 (14 posts) -

@PSP107: Sega should've teamed with Sony instead of taking Sony on.

#4 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

One is the PS2. How is that fair?

#5 Posted by Telekill (8586 posts) -

Not sure what the versus is about.

Dreamcast was awesome. The first console I bought myself. Great games like Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Ecco and Jet Grind really made it an incredible system. Add in the cool tech of its VMU memory cards and the only thing it was really missing was a second analog stick.

#6 Posted by I_P_Daily (12516 posts) -

Dreamcast shits all over the PS2.

#7 Posted by tohot240 (49 posts) -

The dreamcast may not have had a DVD player and may not have been as graphically powerful as the PS2 but I think the dreamcast was the better console because it had really had only a handful of games but they were all of high quality. Although graphically the ps2 was superior the dreamcast games had an ART STYLE which made its games look better even today.

#8 Edited by xantufrog (11680 posts) -

I still play my DC. Don't play my PS2 much any more. That's really all that matters now. Used to play them both like crazy - probably the PS2 a fair bit more in fact - but one offers more timeless experiences and visuals, frankly (VGA), and it's the DC

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#9 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1695 posts) -

Well depends on which genre of games you're talking about?

For racing games I'd say original Xbox and PS2 over Sega Dreamcast because of having the first & third parties I'm more interested in:

• Xbox 1st parties:
    1. Forza Motorsport
    2. Project Gotham Racing
    3. Rallisport Challenge
    4. Midtown Madness
  • Playstation 2 1st parties:
    1. Gran Turismo
    2. WRC
  • Xbox/PS2 3rd party multiplats:
    • Colin McRae Rally
    • Toca Race Driver
    • Test Drive
    • Need For Speed
    • Burnout
    • Midnight Club
#10 Posted by pmanden (723 posts) -

The PS2 was overrated and it killed the Dreamcast, and I hate Sony for that. Still, it is not Sony's fault that Sega kept shooting themselves in the foot and eventually lost the hardware battle.

#11 Posted by Ovirew (9119 posts) -

I think the Dreamcast was great for the reason tohot240 said, but also because it captured the Arcade-style gameplay well, and did some neat things with online play.

I think the topic is kind of forgetting a lot of the great games that came out for the PS2 though, and many more of them. And despite many drawbacks the PS2 had games with some pretty nice texture artwork, despite maybe not being as high-quality or as nice-looking as on rival systems.

The fate of the Dreamcast was a disappointing thing though. I was just becoming interested in it, and then it was gone. But it's just as well, since a lot of great things were happening on all fronts in gaming at that time.

#12 Posted by Vaidream45 (2034 posts) -

Powerstone for life

#13 Posted by thehig1 (7355 posts) -

@PSP107: different gen ?

Ps1/n64>>>>>>>>Saturn

Personally I have the Saturn ahead of N64 I was stuck with that console for a few years before I got a ps1.

#14 Posted by robert_sparkes (3311 posts) -

Dreamcast was a great system ps2 had a great library probably the best on any system. Sega killed themselves by previous disasterous decisions.

#15 Edited by warmblur (2979 posts) -

When Dreamcast came out I was occupied with other stuff in my life not so much gaming at that time but I remember those 9/9/99 commercials. After learning about the history of that system it was pretty damn impressive and ahead of it's time.

#16 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8701 posts) -

Lol are people serious about saying dc is better than ps2? I love my dreamcast, but the ps2 is, no holds barred, a far better system. It lasted longer and amassed a beastly library (the best one on a console to date -- games that are still re released regularly).

#17 Posted by pyro1245 (5238 posts) -

Dreamcast was far superior hardware.

I wish the tables would have been turned. Gen would have been way better if the system had more support. Too bad the system was cracked so soon.

PS2 was a toy by comparison. Don't get me wrong I owned both and def played the PS2 more. DC was awesome and still has a home brew scene.

#18 Posted by NukleaWorfair (328 posts) -

PS2 doubled as a DVD player. This in itself is the reason why it wins. Especially since DVD'd back then were expensive. And incredibly the PS2 was cheaper than many DVD players.

Dreamcast only wins via online, yet this was a relatively new concept to console players used to playing with their friends in their rooms rather than some random stranger. And internet connections back then were pathetic.

I remember my older brother buying a Dreamcast when they heavily discounted it. And I remember Sony's marketting of the PS2 was second to none. I remember reading in the newspapers something about the chips being so powerful that Saddam Hussein could use the chips in his rocket launchers. Haha

It just felt like the Dreamcast was doomed from the beggining. The Saturn failing didn't help either.

#19 Posted by pyro1245 (5238 posts) -

The Dreamcast will never die!

Loading Video...

#20 Posted by AcidTango (1701 posts) -

A great console to this day. It's sad that there were horrible consoles that lasted longer then the Dreamcast.

#21 Posted by PSP107 (17512 posts) -

@thehig1:

No I mean PS1/N64 were better than Dreamcast.

#22 Posted by Chutebox (44743 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X: Ya, people are drunk haha

#23 Edited by Jag85 (13627 posts) -

If we compare which had the better library in their first two years, it was definitely the Dreamcast.

But overall, the PS2 eventually surpassed the Dreamcast, as it was on the market for longer.

#24 Posted by l3igl3oss (72 posts) -

The Dreamcast had nothing better than its potential, which wasn't realized, but let's not act like the PS2 wasn't an underdog in terms of hardware as well, because what it did was to sell like hotcakes in the face of the Xbox and the Gamecube, more powerful systems with one of them sharing DVD playback, as well as online connectivity. The Dreamcast peaked with VGA on monitors, the Playstation 2 endured until it could display 480p through component cables, but when both of them were plugged to a CRT TV with scart RGB, a PS2 game looked better than a Dreamcast one, because the assets and the effects were better. There's no getting around content and effort, which most Sony third parties poured into their games, considering how difficult the system was to design for. The Dreamcast was perhaps the best Sega system for its good decisions and an exclusive feel due to its faithful ports, the so called arcade at home experience that had only graced the Genesis very briefly, as the latter offered more home console titles through its add-ons that cost their success.

#25 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20673 posts) -

Well the PS2 is my least favorite gen 6 console by a decent margin, while the DC is my second favorite, so it's not much of a contest.

But anyway, yeah, I have a lot of good memories playing my Dreamcast back in those days. Other than the Saturn's start-up screen, nothing else still gets me quite in the mood to play games.

Loading Video...

#26 Edited by xantufrog (11680 posts) -

I'm honestly surprised how much people love the PS2 library. Thousands of games, but almost none of them are worth thinking about any more. At all. Actually most were forgettable then. A few people mentioned a handful (THE handful) of gems that still get remastered and rereleased now. PS1 was a much more interesting platform from the PS brand. Most PS2 games could be played better elsewhere. This simply wasn't true for DC, which stood out for its unique exclusives (few multiplats), until its death led to ports to XBox and Gamecube. Games I still bother with on my PS2 (or in port form)... Katamari, Ico, SotC, FFX, Ratchet and Clank. No joke, I use my PS2 mostly to play PS1 games - and that's when my PS3 is acting up (which I also use mostly for PS1 games now).

#27 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79380 posts) -

The Dreamcast never stood a chance because Sega kept shooting themselves in the foot with previous systems. Now that Sega finally did something right with the Dreamcast, it was too late.... people were holding out for the PS2 which at launch had far worse looking games. Glad I was part of the crowd that supported it.

#28 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@i_p_daily:

Yeah we know you hate Sony.

#29 Posted by PSP107 (17512 posts) -

@thehig1: "Personally I have the Saturn ahead of N64 I was stuck with that console for a few years before I got a ps1."

What Saturn has over N64?

#31 Posted by thehig1 (7355 posts) -
@PSP107 said:

@thehig1: "Personally I have the Saturn ahead of N64 I was stuck with that console for a few years before I got a ps1."

What Saturn has over N64?

The Saturn had a couple of Exclusives that were pretty good, Virtua Cop, House of the Dead (2 lightgun games were N64 didnt have nay lightgun games) Virtua Fighter, Sega Rally, Nights into Dreams, Daytona USA, Deep Fear (awesome Resident Evil like game) for exclusives.

Then the Saturn had several multiplats that were not available on the N64,

Resident Evil

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo

Tomb Raider

Grandia

Road Rash (different game to Road Rash 64)

Alien Trilogy

Wipeout

Street Racer (although I get this is a knock off version of mario kart)

D

Die Hard Trilogy (more light gunnage)

Command & Conquer

Worms

Soviet Strike

Tempest 2000 (no need for an Atari Jaguar ;))

Also I also get that all of these were availble on Ps1, but I was a child back then and wasnt able to get a ps1 until late in the generation, around half the games above I owned the rest I either swapped with friends or rented from blockbuster video.

Finally the controller on the N64 made games unplayable for me, hated the thing.

#32 Edited by uninspiredcup (34917 posts) -

Dreamcast was the Willaim Wallace of consoles, even though it's intestines and lungs had been removed and thus scientifically shouldn't have been able to speak, it none the less let out a defiant battle cry as it met it's end.

The PS2 had no soul. It's a husk of a console.

A tradition that continued after the original PlayStation, PS4, arguably the most soulless.

Comparatively, Dreamcast echos throughout time, a poignant reminder that even the worst companies can redeem themselves in the face of immovable, expected oblivion.

#33 Posted by xantufrog (11680 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: spoken like a true Scotsman

#35 Posted by norjayy (13 posts) -

This is not even a competition. PS2 all the way

#36 Posted by DoomNukem3D (396 posts) -

@PSP107: Panzer Dragoon Saga, Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, Shining Force iii trilogy, Shining the holy ark, The Gaurdian heroes, Radiant Silver Gun, Saturn Bomberman, Dragonforce, and Nights into Dreams.

#37 Posted by DoomNukem3D (396 posts) -

Personally I think the ps2 is home to more overrated games than any other console. Also it was pretty weak hardware at the time. Dreamcast is 2 years earlier but even it had certain graphical advantages.

#38 Posted by Guy_Brohski (1975 posts) -

I'd like to see someone make a perfect port of God of War 1 on Dreamcast. Conversely, I'd like to see Dead or Alive 2 ported to PS2, complete with the sharp resolution and anti-aliasing present on the Dreamcast (yes I know DoA2 is on PS2, but still I want to see visual parity with the DC version).

#39 Posted by Guy_Brohski (1975 posts) -

I'd like to see someone make a perfect port of God of War 1 on Dreamcast. Conversely, I'd like to see Dead or Alive 2 ported to PS2, complete with the sharp resolution and anti-aliasing present on the Dreamcast (yes I know DoA2 is on PS2, but still I want to see visual parity with the DC version).

#40 Posted by PSP107 (17512 posts) -

@thehig1: " Finally the controller on the N64 made games unplayable for me, hated the thing."

As a sports gamer, it was odd.

@doomnukem3d:

007, Revenge/No Mercy, Conker's Bad Fury, Smash Bros, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Tennis, Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark

#41 Posted by judaspete (3127 posts) -

Dreamcast was my favorite console for many years, but I do waver on that now. Many of my favorite games from the system haven't aged great (Sonic Adventure, Samba De Amigo) have superior sequels out (Soul Calibur, Metropolis Street Racer) or are now available pretty much anywhere (Gauro, Last Blade 2, Street Fighter 3, Ikaruga). Still has a lot of great stuff that will never be ported elsewhere (Tech Romancer, Project justice, Ooga Booga, Power Stone with multiplayer) but I'm not as steadfast in calling it my favorite system anymore.

Playstation 2 has every reason to be called the superior system. But for whatever reason I have just never loved the thing as much as the Dreamcast, or even Gamecube. PS2 games library is vast and incredible, but DC and GC have smaller numbers of games that I just love more.

#42 Posted by I_P_Daily (12516 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@i_p_daily:

Yeah we know you hate Sony.

I owned a PS1 & PS2 and PS2 had a LOT of shovelware, and mostly forgettable games.

Oh and a racing game on the PS1 is still in my top 10 racers from that era.

#43 Posted by I_P_Daily (12516 posts) -
@Chutebox said:

@X_CAPCOM_X: Ya, people are drunk haha

Nah you and cappy are the drunk ones, PS2 had the most shovelware of any console in history.

#44 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (213 posts) -

Personally I love the Dreamcast even though I refuse to have one nowadays thanks to having so many issues with it's optical laser failing. I do have found memories owning one as a child from about 2003-2016 though. Still, the PS2 has so many great games and I can still easily find working models for it so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the PS2 is better.

#45 Posted by Chutebox (44743 posts) -

@i_p_daily: And?

#46 Edited by AJStyles (1073 posts) -

Fun Fact: The Dreamcast library consists of mostly terrible arcade ports.

Sorry bro’s, but I will take REAL games on PS2 over arcade ports from Sega Dreamcast any day.

Arcade games are not fun anymore and I have higher standards than that.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#47 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (45306 posts) -

This is more for the retro forum, not SW