NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11782 Posts

Dragon Hound Online gameplay has been revealed at GSTAR 2018 and it looks pretty good. It seems this games take on the Monster Hunter-like genre is being more a fast paced third person shooter. That will certainly help it standout among the other Monster Hunter like games such as God Eater and Dauntless. Graphically the game looks better than Monster Hunter World in my opinion and I believe it is one of the first upcoming PC only titles to be using Nvidia's raytracing.

Here is the trailer and gameplay demo

Here are the keynotes

• Dragon Hound is currently in-development at devCat (Mabinogi, Mabinogi Heroes) using Unreal Engine 4 for the PC system.

• The idea for Dragon Hound started as a concept for a side-scroll mobile game, where players are able to “ride a horse, shoot an arrow, and catch a dragon”. However, it is not realistic as the bow and arrow are too small. Hence, then project expanded to include guns, Chinese gothic and steampunk elements.

• The level of technology in Dragon Hound is currently set as an equivalent to World War 1.

• The core gameplay of Dragon Hound revolves simply around “hunting”.

• Different weapons have different uses on the battlefield. For example, players will have to figure out which weapons deal more damage to a certain monster’s exterior, before being able to attack its internals. Both character actions and use of skills are important as well.

• The game director is proud to have Dragon Hound being compared with Monster Hunter, but he claims that the game is more of a mix between Monster Hunter and World of Tanks.

• A key difference pointed out between Dragon Hound and Monster Hunter is that the former has a much larger area for players to hunt, and the size of monsters are bigger. Hence, players might enjoy Dragon Hound more than Monster Hunter.

• Players cannot get off mounts during combat at all, hence the gameplay (targeting etc) will be something similar to that of World of Tanks’. Think of the character as being a centaur, as explained by the game director. Players can also upgrade and raise mounts in towns.

• There are melee weapons in Dragon Hound, not just ranged ones. There is a chainsaw which cuts through monsters’ exterior easily, and even a melee weapon which draws monster aggression. It is important for players to switch between ranged and melee weapons during combat for maximum effectiveness.

• Dragon Hound is designed to be a party-oriented multiplayer online game, not a traditional MMO per say. However, there are still features which will require a large number of players, such as town defense.

• The current demo version of Dragon Hound at G-Star 2018 does not showcase the expressions of monsters when internal organs such as eyes, heart, and lungs are damaged. This is currently in development, and an important element in the fight to bring down the monsters.

• Casual players can take a longer time to defeat monsters without aiming at these internal organs, but more hardcore players or parties can be more strategic in aiming at those parts to end the fight quicker.

• There are quests which require players to harvest certain organs, hence it is not always about destroying the monsters.

• There are also exterior parts of the monsters which, once destroyed, causes it to be unable to use certain moves or attacks.

• Players must also stock up on various consumable items before going into any monster battles to counter ailments and more.

• There are around 30 different species of monsters being prepared.

• All characters are able to equip any weapons they deem fit without any class restrictions.

• Villages in Dragon Hound are all floating, and will move their positions once a week. Apparently, this means a certain monster can only be encountered once a week, which is intentionally designed to reduce the speed of content consumption.

• There is no PVP planned, and the current end game content is a very, very difficult raid.

• The game director claims it takes around 15 minutes to subdue a big monster, and on average it will be around 10 minutes.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Those are some strong horses. I like the art style. Combo of steam, giant guns & dragons that’s up my alley.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55911 Posts

I'm on board for Dragon Hound now!!! That Look Good-Angry Joe XD

@vaeh said:

Those are some strong horses. I like the art style. Combo of steam, giant guns & dragons that’s up my alley.

This is what we call real Horsepower lol.

Fun fact: Horse can carry even heavy stuff, that's what they're bred for. There's a reason why horses in Mediavel times were so expensive and pure breeds were worth kingdoms. They were born for that type of heavy carriers. And this is why we call them, War Horse

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

@davillain-: There is no way a war horse could carry armament that heavy for long. The recoil alone would knock it on its ass.

Elephant or Rhino would make more sense :D A griffin would have been cooler and also would have allowed flying combat.

I like the society and technology level that allows them to use skyscraper sized tanks with treads but when it's time to shoot some dragons... fetch me my horse!

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Animal Abuse

OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

Red Dead x Monster Hunter. Animations are looking really good.

@zaryia said:

Animal Abuse

God of War

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 2999 Posts

That looks horrible

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26642 Posts

It's kinda cool, but looks terribly easy if you're on horseback the whole time.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

Overall that looks pretty cool but the horses carrying what appears to be a small car on their back looks kinda weird.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8461 Posts

MMOs don't count and especially if they are from Korea or China.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoodleFighter

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

This is just a tutorial level so of course it is going to look easy. I doubt this game will be that easy outside of tutorial and beginner levels, devs have said a boss fight can easily go on for 10 minutes and I believe them because they've made a game with difficulty like that before which is Vindictus. Vindictus itself is in a way somewhat similar to Monster Hunter as a lot of the bosses are big creatures and you have to damage them in certain areas to get item drops which does involve using traps and other gadgets. Soloing mid and end game bosses is incredibly hard and even with parties raids can easily take over 30 minutes to kill a boss.

@pc_rocks said:

At this point, PC games in general regardless of genre, budget and country of origin don't count anymore if we go by Cows standards today.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#12 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19386 Posts

Never heard of this game before, but it looks impressive... I didn't expect an MMO to be using ray-tracing this soon.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26642 Posts
@NoodleFighter said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

This is just a tutorial level so of course it is going to look easy. I doubt this game will be that easy outside of tutorial and beginner levels, devs have said a boss fight can easily go on for 10 minutes and I believe them because they've made a game with difficulty like that before which is Vindictus. Vindictus itself is in a way somewhat similar to Monster Hunter as a lot of the bosses are big creatures and you have to damage them in certain areas to get item drops which does involve using traps and other gadgets. Soloing mid and end game bosses is incredibly hard and even with parties raids can easily take over 30 minutes to kill a boss.

@pc_rocks said:

At this point, PC games in general regardless of genre, budget and country of origin don't count anymore if we go by Cows standards today.

I just hope it's not the same grind as Vindictus. At a certain point, you literally had to do the same 4 scenarios over and over and over to advance. Perhaps they changed that later on, but when I played it, it was like that.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NoodleFighter

@DragonfireXZ95: Yeah I get you, the grind in the early parts of Vindictus were a pain especially since you barely got any story out of the quests and not as much content. The later parts of the game become more story driven so doing the same scenarios over and over doesn't bother people as much plus you get a wider variety of bosses to fight and environments changing things up.

@Jag85 said:

Never heard of this game before, but it looks impressive... I didn't expect an MMO to be using ray-tracing this soon.

I believe JX3 and/or Justice online are getting ray tracing too. I expect it to be a small scale take on it though since after all an MMO is one genre where high end graphics can easily make the highest end PCs fall to their knees without being as visually advance as smaller scale genres but pushes harder since it has a larger scale.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

@pc_rocks said:

It pretty much has to be a 3rd person smoke and mirrors movie game or it is "trash".

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55911 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Wouldn't that required a hefty CPU for both playing MMO & use RT at the same time?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jag85
@davillain- said:
@Jag85 said:

Wouldn't that required a hefty CPU for both playing MMO & use RT at the same time?

Exactly. You'd need a very powerful PC to run this game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jag85
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

I just hope it's not the same grind as Vindictus. At a certain point, you literally had to do the same 4 scenarios over and over and over to advance. Perhaps they changed that later on, but when I played it, it was like that.

I briefly tried out Vindictus, but didn't really get into it. I preferred TERA, which is my favourite MMO.