Dragon Ball Fighter Z on Switch is amazing.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Well, someone had to say it. What's with this thing going under the radar?

I pity people who are tethered to their TV's at home. Feels so archaic, barbaric.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Picking up my copy next payday (which in the same day as the next FOB concert here).

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56232 Posts

Played the hell out of FighterZ on PS4 last year and I saw the framerates on Switch version isn't stable. It only seems to drop to 50fps at most during actual gameplay. It drops lower during the big, cinematic attacks, but that doesn't affect playability at all. A 60fps locked is preferred, but it's not a complete disaster or something and so with that, Switch owners should be just fine. I just hope you all like the game itself. FighterZ story for the most parts, I like it better then Super's anime series and the character interaction is what sold me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:

A) It's been out for a while

B) The default Switch controls are extremely poor for fighting-games

C) Paid online that offers inferior service compared to competitors, namely PS4.

Generally need a Switch specific fight-stick or one that supports multiple consoles. If you are taking on someone on a fight-stick with a Switch controls, you have basically 0 chance in the majority of fighting games,

-

Fighting games especially suffer from smurfing, a percentage the folk who do buy it won't be new players, but experienced players looking for easy wins under the guise of "practice". Instantly putting off new players from playing online.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bread_or_Decide

@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

C) Paid online that offers inferior service compared to competitors, namely PS4.

Generally need a Switch specific fight-stick or one that supports multiple consoles. If you are taking on someone on a fight-stick with a Switch controls, you have basically 0 chance in the majority of fighting games,

-

Fighting games especially suffer from smurfing, a percentage the folk who do buy it won't be new players, but experienced players looking for easy wins under the guise of "practice". Instantly putting off new players from playing online.

For awhile? You mean, January 26? That's only a few months. Although perhaps to gamers that may as well be ten years old with their attention span and greedy needs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44318 Posts

Cool. I have this game already for the Xbox One and love it. I am considering on double dipping and getting the Switch version as well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uninspiredcup
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

-

For awhile? You mean, January 26? That's only a few months. Although perhaps to gamers that may as well be ten years old with their attention span and greedy needs.

This was a pretty poor attempt at an insult for a genuinely fact based and thought out answer to the query.

Ironically it just made you come across as juvenile.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Is it fun enough to play this game on my own?

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bread_or_Decide

@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

-

This was a pretty poor attempt at an insult for a genuinely fact based and thought out answer to the query.

I wasn't insulting anyone. But it's pretty ridiculous to consider a port from January to be "a while."

Especially since most switch ports have to wait a year or longer, although they're closing the gap.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Fighting games SUCK on the switch, at least with the joy cons. Let me be stuck with the ds4 and a nice big tv rather then a tiny screen and a horrible "d" pad.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

-

I wasn't insulting anyone. But it's pretty ridiculous to consider a port from January to be "a while."

Especially since most switch ports have to wait a year or longer, although they're closing the gap.

In fighting game terms? Na not really. If someone is playing every day and sticking to a particularly character they have a pretty hefty head start. It is possible to catch up with youtube guides and what not (as I did with SFV), but it will generally be a painful experience of getting beat down over and over barely any wins. You need to be invested and put up with tremendous amounts of bullshit.

Aside from "legit" fighters at about your level, or slightly above, it will be proliferated with smurf accounts, which is a major problem, to this day largely goes ignored. Gives the illusion of a much, much higher skill ceiling when in reality they are fighting someone they should not be fighting in the first place. It's just some cum-stain ruining the game so they can feel king of the hill.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bread_or_Decide

@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-

In fighting game terms? Na not really. If someone is playing every day and sticking to a particularly character they have a pretty hefty head start. It is possible to catch up with youtube guides and what not (as I did with SFV), but it will generally be a painful experience of getting beat down over and over barely any wins. You need to be invested and put up with tremendous amounts of bullshit.

Aside from "legit" fighters at about your level, or slightly above, it will be proliferated with smurf accounts, which is a major problem, to this day largely goes ignored. Gives the illusion of a much, much higher skill ceiling when in reality they are fighting someone they should not be fighting in the first place. It's just some cum-stain ruining the game so they can feel king of the hill.

I do speak from a complete noob level. I barely play online and I just like to mash buttons and watch things on screen look cool. I do suppose all the SURIUS gaming fighting enthusiasts are already playing the game. But there are plenty of noobs like me just to enjoy the cool visuals and stylistic flourish.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bread_or_Decide

@vfighter said:

Fighting games SUCK on the switch, at least with the joy cons. Let me be stuck with the ds4 and a nice big tv rather then a tiny screen and a horrible "d" pad.

I dunno if anyone has figured this out but the switch d pad is actually really good. You don't need those lines in between the buttons. I pull off all the moves just fine like if it was a regular D pad. This is a mental thing, I think, with gamers.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

-

So, get a fighting game centric pad then? I got the closest thing I got to a fighting game stick with this and it works wonderfully with Street Fighter. I'd have thought hardcore fighting gamers (y'know the EVO/SRK is god kind) would've gotten used to that.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bread_or_Decide

@nintendoboy16 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

-

So, get a fighting game centric pad then? I got the closest thing I got to a fighting game stick with this and it works wonderfully with Street Fighter. I'd have thought hardcore fighting gamers (y'know the EVO/SRK is god kind) would've gotten used to that.

Yeah, strange complaint considering all normal controllers are considered garbage by the ELITE FIGHTING GAMUREZ!

But for the rest of us, it's fine, who cares.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

-

Yeah, strange complaint considering all normal controllers are considered garbage by the ELITE FIGHTING GAMUREZ!

Some "pros" do use control pads. But even by standard control pads the Switch controller is bad for tradtional fighting games. The thumb stick is too small, and the buttons acting as a D-Pad are plain bad.

If you're playing online, then yea, it's definitely an issue, first thing I done with SFIIHD was get a third party controller.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bread_or_Decide

@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

-

Some "pros" do use control pads. But even by standard control pads the Switch controller is bad for tradtional fighting games. The thumb stick is too small, and the buttons acting as a D-Pad are plain bad.

If you're playing online, then yea, it's definitely an issue, first thing I done with SFIIHD was get a third party controller.

I suck so bad at fighting games. Playing online would be masochistic for me. I don't think I'd ever win a single match.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup
@nintendoboy16 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

-

4 fight-sticks ,custom modded and designed.

Incredibly hardcore, incredibly so. Woe.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bread_or_Decide

@uninspiredcup said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

-

4 fight-sticks ,custom modded and designed.

Incredibly hardcore, incredibly so. Woe.

That is elite shiz.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56232 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

For me, it is. I play Fighting games for a living, I always enjoy playing them on my own and I rarely play anyone else. FighterZ campaign is a lot of fun for the interaction with other Z Fighters like Goku having a normal talk with Frieza is what's really entertaining. You won't see that in the Anime because Frieza doesn't do that and he's more evil in the Anime.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

I suck so bad at fighting games. Playing online would be masochistic for me. I don't think I'd ever win a single match.

Well, e good thing about DBZF is that it had easy inputs compared to other games, with simple H/Q circle universal across characters. Focus more on strategy than "I can't input this properly".

-

Personally just not a fan of that style of fighting game where it's long, extended periods of swapping combos and constantly going on the offensive. Not very good at them either. SF/KOF more my jazz.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

The Switch D-Pad on the pro-controller is not good for competitive fighting games. Its digital and not analog... therefore you drop a lot of inputs. The new HORI joy-cons with the D-Pad are not digital and would preform better... but are handheld mode only (I think).

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide

@enzyme36 said:

The Switch D-Pad on the pro-controller is not good for competitive fighting games. Its digital and not analog... therefore you drop a lot of inputs. The new HORI joy-cons with the D-Pad are not digital and would preform better... but are handheld mode only (I think).

Anyone who is this serious about being competitive would get an arcade stick. I personally could care less, I play with the pro controller and joy cons.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@enzyme36 said:

Anyone who is this serious about being competitive would get an arcade stick. I personally could care less, I play with the pro controller and joy cons.

No doubt... just wanted to pitch in my 2cents about the native pad. I thought i was great too, till I picked up a fighter.

And you can be competitive on PAD too, just not that PAD. I use a HORI pad for SF and I do alright.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VFighter

@Bread_or_Decide: No, the joy cons have one of the worst dpads ever, I think I'd rather use the 360s dpad for fighting games. I'm still amazed that Nintendo screwed up this bad with the d pad.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bread_or_Decide

@vfighter said:

@Bread_or_Decide: No, the joy cons have one of the worst dpads ever, I think I'd rather use the 360s dpad for fighting games. I'm still amazed that Nintendo screwed up this bad with the d pad.

I haven't had any problems using them in fighters or platformers.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter

@Bread_or_Decide: Well you're a Nintendo fanboy so...

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@vfighter said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Well you're a Nintendo fanboy so...

Or a reasonable human being. I'm that too. Not a single indie platformer has given me trouble. That includes the end is nigh, a game where precision counts. Also just 100%-ed rayman legends, using the joycon directional buttons, and no problems with precision or response.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 VFighter

@Bread_or_Decide: Look I have a switch, well in reality my son has a switch so I know how scrappy the joy cons are. They're bad enough used as a normal co,trolled, twice as bad split up as two. I'm not saying they make games unplayable, but they sure as he'll make them less fun. And no you're not reasonable, at least not from what I've seen.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bread_or_Decide

@vfighter said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Look I have a switch, well in reality my son has a switch so I know how scrappy the joy cons are. They're bad enough used as a normal co,trolled, twice as bad split up as two. I'm not saying they make games unplayable, but they sure as he'll make them less fun. And no you're not reasonable, at least not from what I've seen.

Not reasonable? Am I some ranting raving lunatic or something? I'm speaking from my experience gaming for well over 20 years in my life having played every console, held every controller, and i'm a platformer addict. I think I would notice if the joycon d pads were no good.

My vote for hands down worst d pad goes to the 360.

Although this xbox controller sorta fixed the problem.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: Just gotta jump in and agree here. Worst d-pad ever award goes to 360 controller. It doesn't even almost work.

Haven't had any problems with the joycons, personally. Haven't tried a fighting game with them yet though.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#32 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Might get it sometime, wait for a sale I think.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It's terrible after playing it for so long on the PC. I also find it annoying that it lags so much, especially after having to pay for Switch online...

Also it seems like nobody from the UK plays it. I always have to set the location to "everywhere" to even find a match.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#34 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The game on Switch has a MUCH lower player base then the PS4 version for sure, but I can't help, but feel like this version of the game feels way more refined then the Beta.

I think the Switch version will be a great version to lab while the PS4 version will be the one for you to play with people.

With that said I can see myself playing FighterZ more on Switch then I have been on PS4.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@davillain- said:
@KungfuKitten said:

For me, it is. I play Fighting games for a living, I always enjoy playing them on my own and I rarely play anyone else. FighterZ campaign is a lot of fun for the interaction with other Z Fighters like Goku having a normal talk with Frieza is what's really entertaining. You won't see that in the Anime because Frieza doesn't do that and he's more evil in the Anime.

Cool I think I'll pick this up.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#36 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

You all act like most of us aren't playing this with a Pro controller.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
@REVOLUTIONfreak said:

You all act like most of us aren't playing this with a Pro controller.

When you "most of us", you're talking about 12 people on a mostly inactive forum.

General Joe is another matter entirely. Especially as Dragonball can attract people who typically have no interest in the genre to begin with.

-

This game might be slightly less of an issue though as it was designed for newcomers with easier universal inputs. compared to something like The SF30th collection or SFIIHD.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I do speak from a complete noob level. I barely play online and I just like to mash buttons and watch things on screen look cool. I do suppose all the SURIUS gaming fighting enthusiasts are already playing the game. But there are plenty of noobs like me just to enjoy the cool visuals and stylistic flourish.

Okay so why try to debate a pro fighting game fan like unispired? That's like when a casual play Angry Bird and think it's the best thing in the world.

Also, yes you're a noob. Play the game with an actual controler like ps4 or Xbox. Or please get a PAD.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup
@blackballs said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Okay so why try to debate a pro fighting game fan like unispired? That's like when a casual play Angry Bird and think it's the best thing in the world.

Also, yes you're a noob. Play the game with an actual controler like ps4 or Xbox. Or please get a PAD.

lol i'm not a pro, about average at best.

Here's a guy with no working arms or legs playing with a his mouth/chin, who would destroy everyone here. Just in case anything is under the impression a stick is an automatic win.

https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/1024080560958799872

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@vfighter said:

I dunno if anyone has figured this out but the switch d pad is actually really good. You don't need those lines in between the buttons. I pull off all the moves just fine like if it was a regular D pad. This is a mental thing, I think, with gamers.

Its like the hipsters that say "Smash Bros SUCKS without a Gamecube controller!" f*cking joke!

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Heard d-pad players are crippled on the switch. And pro controller is like using a 360 d-pad.