Dragon Age Origins is a blissful paragon of majestic RPG excellence

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 0

#1 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

and is what Bioware should be remembered for this gen, not Mass Effect. Ya see Dragon Age Origins is how RPGs need to be done. They need believable characters with 3-to-the-D dimensional personalities. They need a compelling story to put these believable and lovable characters in, they need to tell that story well, and finally round it all out with deep gameplay and customization. Dragon Age Origins has that all in spades. It's the polar opposite of Skyrim. This is what role playing games is all about people. You take on a role, that you will be playing as, in a video game. 

I mean ya got flippen Morrigan, ya got freakin Alistair, ya got mother fudgin Leliana, ya got that creepy dude who doesn't talk much and when he does talk he answers really really fast and it becomes kind of irritating because you just want the mother f*cker to be more detailed with his answers but then you learn to respect the man for getting to the mother truckin point, ya got the elf guy who puts on his best Antonio Banderas impression and is always trying to sleaze his way onto the ladies. These are interesting characters!

How many characters do you remember from Skyrim? I mean there's like a trillion NPCs in that game so SURELY you must remember ONE of them?? Hm, lets see, there was uhhhh, that one guy who would follow you to every town and constantly ask if somebody stole your sweet roll, annnnnd... there was another dude who kept getting shot in the leg with arrows. I'm sure more will come to mind eventually. I mean sure Skyrim can be a lot of fun and all but it's not a great RPG. Dragon Age Origins is a great f*cking RPG. A monumental success. It has inexplicably managed to put out the blazing flame that feeds my Bioware hatred and I cannot wait to see what see what they have up their sleeve with DA3. and yes I'm skipping DA2.

And I just want to let it be known to the jury that Dragon Age is a much better series than Mass Effect because Dragon Age has atleast one good game in it's franchise. 

dragonagemorriganbysmai.jpg

femshepround2hairwinner.jpg

da2pj.jpg

femshep.jpg

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
otay... :(
Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Neon_Noir
Member since 2013 • 1466 Posts
ME1 > Origins.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
ME1 > Origins.Neon_Noir
I do not disagree with that.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
otay... :(freedomfreak
:lol:
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Master_ShakeXXX

ME1 > Origins.Neon_Noir

Hell to the freakin no. Mass Effect aint got nooothing on Origins.

Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Neon_Noir

[QUOTE="Neon_Noir"]ME1 > Origins.Master_ShakeXXX

Dragon Age's presentation makes me wanna throw up. There's generic fantasy and then there's Dragon Age.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Origins would have been a lot better if Bioware didn't throw in the ridiculous amount of trash combat. I almost quit like 5 times during the Deep Roads.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="Neon_Noir"]ME1 > Origins.Neon_Noir

Dragon Age's presentation makes me wanna throw up. There's generic fantasy and then there's Dragon Age.

Son donchu make me put a poll up!

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Agree DAO was a great RPG much better than DAO2 which was crap and Skyrim is not even a proper RPG. But The witcher is better than both.
Neon_Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Neon_Noir

[QUOTE="Neon_Noir"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Son donchu make me put a poll up!

DA will win, because of the nerdmit population.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Origins is good, not the best RPG Bioware has made though

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Agree DAO was a great RPG much better than DAO2 which was crap and Skyrim is not even a proper RPG. But The witcher is better than both.kuraimen
DAO2 actually had a decent story, it was just the horrendous mechanics that Bioware decided to implement that made me a bit rageful ..
padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

DAO is not even in the same league as ME2.

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

lol at comparing DAO with Skyrim, even Lair has more depth than Skyrim.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

I like Mass Effect... and Dragon Age... :o

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
ME2 > Origins.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Master_ShakeXXX

DAO is not even in the same league as ME2.

padaporra

You're right it's not. ME2 is in the shooter league.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Chloroform gives me the dragon age experience without having to play dragon age,so yeah I guess that is an impressive performance by Bioware. They were able to live up to the lofty standards of chloroform.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master_ShakeXXX

Chloroform gives me the dragon age experience without having to play dragon age,so yeah I guess that is an impressive performance by Bioware. They were able to live up to the lofty standards of chloroform.

jg4xchamp

Yeah but you also think Diablo 2, one of the most addictive games ever, is the equivalent to Nyquil. I rest my case and hold you in contempt, b*tch.

Razor_defiace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Razor_defiace
Member since 2004 • 1618 Posts

DA:O was pretty awesome. Apart from the generic story and stupid relationship system, it was quite an interesting rpg for me. It was also one the last Bioware RPGs that didn't feature voice acting for the protagonist, which I really enjoy.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Yeah but you also think Diablo 2, one of the most addictive games ever, is the equivalent to Nyquil. I rest my case and hold you in contempt, b*tch.

I loved D2, but for some reason D3 had that effect on me ... Not sure what the difference was!
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Master_ShakeXXX

eh...more like Tylenol Extra Strength, I'd reserve Nyquil for something like Resistance
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

blue_hazy_basic

I loved D2, but for some reason D3 had that effect on me ... Not sure what the difference was!

I would say it was because you were a grown up now, but then I rememberd you were like 83 years old when Diablo 2 came out so maybe you're just old as f*ck and forgot that you actually disliked Diablo 2.

I mean that is a totally plausible scenario, because actually enjoying your time with that game? not a plausible scenario.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

jg4xchamp

eh...more like Tylenol Extra Strength, I'd reserve Nyquil for something like Resistance

You need a shot of Total Awe to waken your gaming senses up Champ!
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
I would say it was because you were a grown up now, but then I rememberd you were like 83 years old when Diablo 2 came out so maybe you're just old as f*ck and forgot that you actually disliked Diablo 2.
jg4xchamp
At first i was like :lol: then i was like "REQUEST BAN" :evil:
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

blue_hazy_basic

You need a shot of Total Awe to waken your gaming senses up Champ!

Never played any of them besides rome, it was just fun to piss off stevo. Plus mac and teuf had some funny ass names for that game. Total Bore, Snoregun. That's f*cking classic.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Never played any of them besides rome, it was just fun to piss off stevo. Plus mac and teuf had some funny ass names for that game. Total Bore, Snoregun. That's f*cking classic.

Heh, hadn't heard Snoregun before!
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] I would say it was because you were a grown up now, but then I rememberd you were like 83 years old when Diablo 2 came out so maybe you're just old as f*ck and forgot that you actually disliked Diablo 2.
blue_hazy_basic

I been watching a lot of Game of Thrones recently, so watching Cersei and Joffrey has sort of like reinspired my mean streak a bit. I feel like I been a bit more on point lately. My recent comments on Peter Parker/Spiderman? definitely some of my finest work since coming back.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] I would say it was because you were a grown up now, but then I rememberd you were like 83 years old when Diablo 2 came out so maybe you're just old as f*ck and forgot that you actually disliked Diablo 2.
jg4xchamp

I been watching a lot of Game of Thrones recently, so watching Cersei and Joffrey has sort of like reinspired my mean streak a bit. I feel like I been a bit more on point lately. My recent comments on Peter Parker/Spiderman? definitely some of my finest work since coming back.

Did not see .... Forum always can use more champisms tho!
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

blue_hazy_basic

Same here. D3's biggest problem is it's too streamlined. It doesn't give you much reason to experiment with different builds or encourage you enough to continue playing past Inferno difficulty.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Never played any of them besides rome, it was just fun to piss off stevo. Plus mac and teuf had some funny ass names for that game. Total Bore, Snoregun. That's f*cking classic.

Heh, hadn't heard Snoregun before!

Yeah I think I have shogun on my wishlist, but it's never been on a price rangewhere I can justify throwing it in my backlog. I still have Europa Universalis 3 on my backlog. Never has a game ever made me feel more stupid than that game. I legit start that game up and go "nope, I don't wanna play this, way too scary" Sh1t makes Amnesia look like Dora The Explorer. One day I'll man up and try to learn as I go. One day.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts
Dragon Age Origins is highly overrated. It was supposed to be the spiritual successor to BG 2 and it was far from it. 1. The graphics and art style looked like something out out the Team America puppet movie 2. The story line was cliche and bland to the point of absurdity 3. The animations were way out dated 4. It just sucked.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] At first i was like :lol: then i was like "REQUEST BAN" :evil:blue_hazy_basic

blog post. It's the 2nd paragraph, it's the gif that makes it. Without the Anna Kendrick gif it wouldn't carry the same weight.

To think you used to laugh at BB gifs, i mean all these gifs in the world, and you chose to laugh at the same wrestling gifs.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

Same here. D3's biggest problem is it's too streamlined. It doesn't give you much reason to experiment with different builds or encourage you enough to continue playing past Inferno difficulty.

Master_ShakeXXX
Yea that could be a big part of it, the build system was absolutely horrible.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

blue_hazy_basic

D2 wasn't build around an auction house.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Shielder7

D2 wasn't build around an auction house.

I didn't really hate that tbh. Let me dump off stuff I didn't use and get stuff I needed. I quit just before the real money auction house got up and running so not sure how that changed the dynamic.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I bought the game for like 4 dollars, played it a bit, killed some rats and got bored of it. Between Skyrim and this I really don't know which one is more boring.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

I thought that Dragon Age set a new low for Bioware - it was absolutely their worst game at the time of release, and a painful struggle to play through.

I mean, quite honestly, I think that virtually every single aspect of the game's design was underwhelming.

Setting, lore, story, pacing, characters, character relationships, combat, gameplay rulesets, character customisation, party customisation, dungeon design, enemy design, boss design, difficulty curves, art design...they were all far below standard, although it would sadly take lengthy posts to explain how Bioware completely dropped the ball on any one of them.

Possibly the only thing I liked about it was the music, and even that was completely forgettable. Bleh to the lot of it. :(

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
DAO, as an RPG is better than anything ME was/will ever be.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] I would say it was because you were a grown up now, but then I rememberd you were like 83 years old when Diablo 2 came out so maybe you're just old as f*ck and forgot that you actually disliked Diablo 2.
jg4xchamp

I've been thinking about giving Game of Thrones a watch. I need something to hold me over while Shameless' season 3 does it's run.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] I been watching a lot of Game of Thrones recently, so watching Cersei and Joffrey has sort of like reinspired my mean streak a bit. I feel like I been a bit more on point lately. My recent comments on Peter Parker/Spiderman? definitely some of my finest work since coming back. jg4xchamp

blog post. It's the 2nd paragraph, it's the gif that makes it. Without the Anna Kendrick gif it wouldn't carry the same weight.

To think you used to laugh at BB gifs, i mean all these gifs in the world, and you chose to laugh at the same wrestling gifs.

lol would read again +1 no matter how wrong you are (did you really put her in the same paragraph as C T? :? ) And the wrestling gifs were part of the BB's god-like forum personality. You are DL are just his hangeron wannabe! :D
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp
It's pretty solid. I was expecting some typical lord of the rings level fantasy nonsense(I mean it's based on a book called the song fire and ice, lame!!), but I was pretty entertained. The midget that plays Tyrian or whatever is awesome, and all the villains on that show are almost wonderfully terrible as people. It's something I think only a HBO could pull off on TV. Showtime would probably ruin it, AMC couldn't fund it properly, and basic cable? PFFT that sh1t would be horrendous.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I really do love Dragon Age Origins, but sorry Shakey Cake, this thread is now about freeom's Catwoman sig :P:P

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
It's pretty solid. I was expecting some typical lord of the rings level fantasy nonsense(I mean it's based on a book called the song fire and ice, lame!!), but I was pretty entertained. The midget that plays Tyrian or whatever is awesome, and all the villains on that show are almost wonderfully terrible as people. It's something I think only a HBO could pull off on TV. Showtime would probably ruin it, AMC couldn't fund it properly, and basic cable? PFFT that sh1t would be horrendous. jg4xchamp
Without meaning to verge into the its "epic" territory of fandom, the books are really worth a read on top of the series. And at some point I need to start watching justified.
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

blue_hazy_basic

D2 was god tier.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

I really do love Dragon Age Origins, but sorry Shakey Cake, this thread is now about freeom's Catwoman sig :P:P

AdobeArtist
I'm glad GUFU's dead and not able to derail threads anymore. :D
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Did not see .... Forum always can use more champisms tho!blue_hazy_basic

lol would read again +1 no matter how wrong you are (did you really put her in the same paragraph as C T? :? ) And the wrestling gifs were part of the BB's god-like forum personality. You are DL are just his hangeron wannabe! :D

I would never put anyone in the same anything as Charlize Theron. The rules of english and basic posting just requires that I put them in a sentence together, but no I LOVE me some Charlize Theron.

I stand by the biggest plot hole in the history of plot holes exists in Snow White and the Huntsman.

That mirror said the fairest of them all is Kristen Stewart..over Charlize Theron. OVER CHARLIZE THERON!?!?! there is no way that mirror is straight.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 freedomfreak

AdobeArtist
Up next is Sue Storm, apparently. She's out to give me a heart attack.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] blog post. It's the 2nd paragraph, it's the gif that makes it. Without the Anna Kendrick gif it wouldn't carry the same weight.

jg4xchamp

I would never put anyone in the same anything as Charlize Theron. The rules of english and basic posting just requires that I put them in a sentence together, but no I LOVE me some Charlize Theron.

I stand by the biggest plot hole in the history of plot holes exists in Snow White and the Huntsman.

That mirror said the fairest of them all is Kristen Stewart..over Charlize Theron. OVER CHARLIZE THERON!?!?! there is no way that mirror is straight.

Maybe its just a hardcore Twi-hard!