Dragon Age: Origins - Debut Trailer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

Bioware's spiritual sequel to the Baldur's Gate series

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36033.html

Enjoy.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

Yea been posted, there will be more show at E3. This really doesn't show much beyond a snippet of an in-game cut-scene.

Surprised gamepot hasn't put anything up on it yet.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ToScA-

Yea been posted, there will be more show at E3. This really doesn't show much beyond a snippet of an in-game cut-scene.

Surprised gamepot hasn't put anything up on it yet.

Kez1984

Indeed, I'd call it a teaser actually.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but I had a very strong reminding of Lord of The Rings from that, looks like a great game none the less.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
So... still PC exclusive?
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
looks nice for a teaser.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

I don't know about anyone else but I had a very strong reminding of Lord of The Rings from that, looks like a great game none the less.ONLYDOD

Their gameplay direction sounds good but damn does their world sound so bloody derivative.

Even the title "Dragon Age" doesn't bode well for its lore.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

So... still PC exclusive?thrones

yes.

They said that maybe, somewhere down the line they will think about porting it so that more people can play it, but right now, they just want to make a game that lives up to the huge expectations of a Baldur's Gate spiritual successor. They want to make a game to please their PC fans. So, everything they have on the project is on the PC version. After it ships, they may think about porting it.

Avatar image for Luigi_Vincetana
Luigi_Vincetana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Luigi_Vincetana
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
So this is the first movie in Peter Jackson's, much feared, LotR Expanded Universe, right? :P
dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts

So much for a game that is based on "A Song of Ice and Fire". What did it have in common? Swordfighting and a medievil backdrop?

Either way it looks awesome.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts
As much as I love Dark Fantasy and Bioware's return to the PC platform with an exclusive, the game kinda feels like an expansion to the Witcher. Lets see how well it fairs as time goes on.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

[QUOTE="ONLYDOD"]I don't know about anyone else but I had a very strong reminding of Lord of The Rings from that, looks like a great game none the less.FrozenLiquid

Their gameplay direction sounds good but damn does their world sound so bloody derivative.

Even the title "Dragon Age" doesn't bode well for its lore.

God, and this just after our discussion not too long ago about how so much fantasy these days, especially in video games, is derived from Tolkien.

And it had to happen to Dragon Age, of all games, Bioware's first attempt at a PC masterpiece since Baldur's Gate 2. I mean yeah, the game is called "Dragon Age", but that doesn't mean it has to look like a giant bag of cliches and incrediblyuninspired design. I was half-expecting the Knights who say Ni to pop out.

It's probably as disappointing as a 30-second teaser could possibly be, when you consider that the game has been in development since 2004 and this is the first thing we see from it. Look at Diablo 3, by comparison. The game is a long ass way from release and we've already seen a 20-minute, 100% gameplay video of it. And in HD quality, no less, and they could've easily waited until E3 to release it. And we also would've all been fine with just 3 minutes of D3 footage. That's why Blizzard is king.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FrozenLiquid

God, and this just after our discussion not too long ago about how so much fantasy these days, especially in video games, is derived from Tolkien.

And it had to happen to Dragon Age, of all games, Bioware's first attempt at a PC masterpiece since Baldur's Gate 2. I mean yeah, the game is called "Dragon Age", but that doesn't mean it has to look like a giant bag of cliches and incrediblyuninspired design. I was half-expecting the Knights who say Ni to pop out.

It's probably as disappointing as a 30-second teaser could possibly be, when you consider that the game has been in development since 2004 and this is the first thing we see from it. Look at Diablo 3, by comparison. The game is a long ass way from release and we've already seen a 20-minute, 100% gameplay video of it. And in HD quality, no less, and they could've easily waited until E3 to release it. And we also would've all been fine with just 3 minutes of D3 footage. That's why Blizzard is king.

Zeliard9

I'm starting to think Bioware can't really make their own mark on lore of any kind.

Every game pre-Jade Empire was using some previously established universe. All Bioware did was make a seriously awesome RPG in those respective intellectual properties. Jade Empire was their first original setting which did fine, but didn't feel as fully realized as the other universes they dabbled in.

Then comes Mass Effect, which looked promising but turned out to be the great big melting pot of science fiction cliches.

What's sad is that this setting looks even worse. I honestly just got turned off at the thought of playing through some sort of Helm's Deep knock-off. I watched it and played it in the Lord of the Rings IP, and I really don't need to see it again, five years too late.

Bioware has been dissapointing me lately.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
I'm only interested in game play footage. Hopefully it turns out to be good.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
do the graphics really have to be that crappy though?
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

FrozenLiquid

I'm starting to think Bioware can't really make their own mark on lore of any kind.

Every game pre-Jade Empire was using some previously established universe. All Bioware did was make a seriously awesome RPG in those respective intellectual properties. Jade Empire was their first original setting which did fine, but didn't feel as fully realized as the other universes they dabbled in.

Then comes Mass Effect, which looked promising but turned out to be the great big melting pot of science fiction cliches.

What's sad is that this setting looks even worse. I honestly just got turned off at the thought of playing through some sort of Helm's Deep knock-off. I watched it and played it in the Lord of the Rings IP, and I really don't need to see it again, five years too late.

I think there's been some universal disappointment regarding this teaser and the setting and characters it shows. It's not insultingly bad or anything, it's just very generic and incredibly underwhelming, and it's all made worse by Bioware's own hype that it would be a proper successor to BG2. Even though Bioware isn't the company they once were, many still thought they could produce something special.

I know some will say it's just a teaser, but the point of a teaser isn't to turn off its audience, as this one seems to be doing. A short teaser is enough to convey quite a bit about a game, especially the setting it takes place in, and this one seems to be your basic fantasy, LOTR-style romp. The gameplay better be legendary.

jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 jlh47
Member since 2007 • 3326 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

FrozenLiquid

you do remember baldurs gate and nwn right? mass effect was AAA, jade empire was AA... have you read anything on the game itself? the game has 800 years of backstory to it. it's actually very very original.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

Zeliard9

I think there's been some universal disappointment regarding this teaser and the setting and characters it shows. It's not insultingly bad or anything, it's just very generic and incredibly underwhelming, and it's all made worse by Bioware's own hype that it would be a proper successor to BG2. Even though Bioware isn't the company they once were, many still thought they could produce something special.

I know some will say it's just a teaser, but the point of a teaser isn't to turn off its audience, as this one seems to be doing. A short teaser is enough to convey quite a bit about a game, especially the setting it takes place in, and this one seems to be your basic fantasy, LOTR-style romp. The gameplay better be legendary.

One of my tutors said something along the lines that there is only 14 plausible storys in narrative.

So it fits into the LOTRO's esque, that doesnt matter, im just glad that for once they are making a Pc Exclusive that has proper voice acting and cutscenes as apposed to baldurs/NWN.

Large battles, vs orcs was obviously going to happen, that doesnt mean its going to be generic.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kez1984

As much as I love Dark Fantasy and Bioware's return to the PC platform with an exclusive, the game kinda feels like an expansion to the Witcher. Lets see how well it fairs as time goes on.Redmoonxl2

It's a 30 second cut-scene...

The actual game is from a behind the shoulder point of view, when you enter battle it goes to an isometric point of view, the thing is, it's a tactical rpg, this trailer makes it look more like oblivion or something along those lines. There will be more shown at E3 btw, this was supposidly a teaser.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kez1984

do the graphics really have to be that crappy though?Zero5000X

I'v seen worse.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FrozenLiquid

you do remember baldurs gate and nwn right? mass effect was AAA, jade empire was AA... have you read anything on the game itself? the game has 800 years of backstory to it. it's actually very very original.

jlh47

You can have 800 years of backstory about Orcs vs Humans and I could still make a more original fantasy story that focusses on an Enlightenment-esque period which would span a decade.

One of my tutors said something along the lines that there is only 14 plausible storys in narrative.

So it fits into the LOTRO's esque, that doesnt matter, im just glad that for once they are making a Pc Exclusive that has proper voice acting and cutscenes as apposed to baldurs/NWN.

Large battles, vs orcs was obviously going to happen, that doesnt mean its going to be generic.

PC360Wii

Don't confuse stories with "myths", and when I mean "myths", I define it as concepts which have universal meaning to them e.g good overcoming evil. Yes, there are very few of them.

You will notice that we have created millions of stories out of those few concepts.

Having Orcs vs. Humans isn't the best way to start a modern fantasy story.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
mmm they're better than i initially thought but they still aren't that great. i would think they would be atleast as good as Mass Effect's considering Mass Effect came out a year prior.
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kez1984

mmm they're better than i initially thought but they still aren't that great. i would think they would be atleast as good as Mass Effect's considering Mass Effect came out a year prior.Zero5000X

I'm kinda wondering about the scale of the game though, from the very early screens, it looked like there were hundreds of enemy's on screen at once, from the teaser, it looked like quite a few were on screen, who knows. TBH, I don't care, Baldur's Gate is a better game than Mass Effect still (imo) and that's an Isometric game driven by art direction than pixel power.

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
[QUOTE="jlh47"]

FrozenLiquid

You can have 800 years of backstory about Orcs vs Humans and I could still make a more original fantasy story that focusses on an Enlightenment-esque period which would span a decade.

PC360Wii

Don't confuse stories with "myths", and when I mean "myths", I define it as concepts which have universal meaning to them e.g good overcoming evil. Yes, there are very few of them.

You will notice that we have created millions of stories out of those few concepts.

Yea I get your point, but like most RPG stories, its likely the case that orcs are just the fillers, like the generic cyborg things in Mass Effect. We have no idea what else is envolved, though dragons are probably a no brainer at this point ;o

mmm they're better than i initially thought but they still aren't that great. i would think they would be atleast as good as Mass Effect's considering Mass Effect came out a year prior.Zero5000X

Thye have to factor in PC Ranges, and it doesnt look much lower than Mass Effects, I would be bold enough to say creating a Sci Fi universe is easier, everything is so neat, a medevil fantasy though, everything is unclean.

Also you have to factor in that this is mainly an Isoemetric game thats suppose to have alot of enemies and teamates to manage.

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#25 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts

From what I saw it looks really generic but hopefully it will be awesome, I've never played a bad Bioware game and I have confidence in them.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts
Coming off of Mass Effect to that is a bit of a let down. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because it's a Bioware game and I dig their stuff.The art direction looks incredibly bland.I want to see more.
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#28 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts
So out of curiosity, do you think we will need to wait until this is released before we see more of Mass Effect 2?
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kez1984

So out of curiosity, do you think we will need to wait until this is released before we see more of Mass Effect 2?death919

Apprently there will be a KOTOR mmo. IDK if it is Bioware working on it. That could slow it.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

Bleh.

Looked incredibly generic, and boring.

"For Forogan!" Seriously?

Eh, I suppose with a title like "Dragon Age" there's really only so much one can expect in terms of originality...

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

Bleh.

Eh, I suppose with a title like "Dragon Age" there's really only so much one can expect in terms of originality...

jethrovegas
Honestly, if something has the slightest hint of Tolkein its suddenly unoriginal and won't have anything new? You can still have the same old trapings of high fantasy and still be original. Just look at IPs like the Witcher which are DECIDELY high fantasy, yet are extremely original. Don't judge this game by this one little trailer. PS: I was unimpressed by the trailer.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="jlh47"]

FrozenLiquid

PC360Wii

The big dude with the horned helmet doesn't really help them in terms of originality, does it? :lol:

Then again, a lot can be made of a "generic" setting. They said that they used A Song of Ice and Fire for their inspiration, and ASoIaF is definitely a "generic" fantasy setting in that it is basically medieval England, yet it's one of the better fantasy stories of the last two decades. I think the same of Ivalice, a similarly generic (but more fantastical) fantasy setting that has been host to some of the better stories in JRPGs (e.g. FFT).

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kez1984

Bleh.

jethrovegas

Originality rocks.

Yup

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jethrovegas
[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

Bleh.

Vandalvideo

Honestly, if something has the slightest hint of Tolkein its suddenly unoriginal and won't have anything new? You can still have the same old trapings of high fantasy and still be original. Just look at IPs like the Witcher which are DECIDELY high fantasy, yet are extremely original. Don't judge this game by this one little trailer. PS: I was unimpressed by the trailer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely discounting this game based on this one trailer, but I am starting to have concerns about the game's setting, and to be perfectly honest, I am getting a little tired of Tolkien style high fantasy altogether, regardless of how it is framed. Would like to see a bit more fresh lore.

Playing a game called Arcanum right now; amazed by how much is added to the game by what seems to be only a slight deviance away from typical high fantasy (ie, Steampunk trappings).

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

Playing a game called Arcanum right now; amazed by how much is added to the game by what seems to be only a slight deviance away from typical high fantasy (ie, Steampunk trappings).

jethrovegas
Heh, I ordered Arcanum a few days ago. It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. How're you enjoying it so far? Did you use the ridiculously awesome patch from RPGCodex?
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

Bleh.

jethrovegas

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely discounting this game based on this one trailer, but I am starting to have concerns about the game's setting, and to be perfectly honest, I am getting a little tired of Tolkien style high fantasy altogether, regardless of how it is framed. Would like to see a bit more fresh lore.

So you advocate moving away from one stereotype into another?

The setting is the setting. Original stories can still be created in so-called "generic" settings, just like how original stories can be created in settings based on the real world.

However, I will say this: How many people want to bet that the main quest of Dragon Age will involve the return of the dragons to "bring balance" to the world?

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jethrovegas
[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

RobbieH1234

Heh, I ordered Arcanum a few days ago. It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. How're you enjoying it so far? Did you use the ridiculously awesome patch from RPGCodex?

I really like it so far. The atmosphere of the game is great; really kind of sad, and foreboding; fantastic music. World is truly open, quests, choices, and player options are complex, multi-layered. Feels more like a true RPG than any other game I've played in a good while. The mechanics all get the job done; combat can be done as RT, TB, or semi-TB, which is nice for when you just want to beat stick a couple wolves.

Would advise beat stick char first anyways; exp gathered based on hits, so party members will take most exp if you are casting, or teching, apparently. Will try tech char on second playthrough.

Saw Drog's patch on the Codex; thought about it, but decided to go through game once without it, don't know why; guess I just wanted to have the "pure" experience first, with no alterations.

diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts

the teaser didnt really excite me, but I'll keep my hopes up that it turns out good.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

Well the setting does looks dissapointing and realy lotr is the first thing that comes to my mind. Hope E3 is better. one thing which i liked about the trailer was the dark settings

anyway, the game isn't about dragons but about people livign in that age (i.e dragon are not a dominant part of the story). The name is Dargon age Origins because the current age is termed dragon age (each age is 100 years long) and origin mostly because the background of the caharcter will have a lot of effect on the story.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

Zeliard9

They are trying to sell this game...

Now, to the mainstream audience watching GTTV, what would be better? A universally recognized and cool style that has epic battles(as was shown in the trailer) or tiny little details that the story will be filled with?

This is a TEASER. They purposely picked a Tolkein-esque scene because it is an iconic scene. It is fun to watch and is exciting. You, should be ashamed that you DID discount a game because of MARKETING. Think just for a second about the audience this was being shown to and how they wanted to draw out a reaction. This is the first teaser. They wanted to evoke a sense of epicness and what better way to do that than have a scene very LOTR-esque? Honestly? Because I sure as **** can't think of one...

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
[QUOTE="RobbieH1234"][QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

jethrovegas

I really like it so far. The atmosphere of the game is great; really kind of sad, and foreboding; fantastic music. World is truly open, quests, choices, and player options are complex, multi-layered. Feels more like a true RPG than any other game I've played in a good while. The mechanics all get the job done; combat can be done as RT, TB, or semi-TB, which is nice for when you just want to beat stick a couple wolves.

Would advise beat stick char first anyways; exp gathered based on hits, so party members will take most exp if you are casting, or teching, apparently. Will try tech char on second playthrough.

Saw Drog's patch on the Codex; thought about it, but decided to go through game once without it, don't know why; guess I just wanted to have the "pure" experience first, with no alterations.

i personally think you should install the patch, it fixes lots of stuff and restores a few missing stuff . also the older saved games are sometimes not compatible with this patch

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ToScA-
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="jlh47"]

mjarantilla

PC360Wii

The big dude with the horned helmet doesn't really help them in terms of originality, does it? :lol:

He reminds me of Sarevok :)

ClawKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ClawKiller
Member since 2005 • 666 Posts

It's gonna be a good game.

So far, looks very polished, and theyve still got 8 more months of development time, which is a long time :)

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jethrovegas

i personally think you should install the patch, it fixes lots of stuff and restores a few missing stuff . also the older saved games are sometimes not compatible with this patch

naval

Yeah, just checked patch notes, advises I start a new game. Figure I've already gotten a good bit into the game; don't really feel like starting from scratch again right now. Will certainly install it after finishing this pt; will probably make me appreciate the changes more anyway, having gone through once.

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

I really like it so far. The atmosphere of the game is great; really kind of sad, and foreboding; fantastic music. World is truly open, quests, choices, and player options are complex, multi-layered. Feels more like a true RPG than any other game I've played in a good while. The mechanics all get the job done; combat can be done as RT, TB, or semi-TB, which is nice for when you just want to beat stick a couple wolves.jethrovegas

Sounds damn impressive. The Codex, NMA and the guys at the Iron Tower Studio forums speak very highly of it. I look forward to making choices that aren't purely cosmetic and have actual consequences as far as the world and characters go; that's something the so-called "best" RPGs of this gen have forgotten.

jethrovegas

That guy deserves massive amounts of credit for that patch. Even if you disregard the restored content and such, the list of bugs, typos and glitches that he fixed is ****ing huge.

As for Dragon Age...I dunno. I want it to be great, but I think BioWare have been on a steady decline since Shadows of Amn.

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

That was a very meh trailer. But it is Bioware, and I love most of their games, so I'll keep track of this.

But at this point, I would much rather have KOTOR3 or Mass Effect 2.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kez1984

That was a very meh trailer. But it is Bioware, and I love most of their games, so I'll keep track of this.

whocares4peace

Baldur's Gate>KOTOR>Mass Effect

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 whocares4peace
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

Kez1984

Well, awesome. Thanks for me letting me your thoughts.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Kez1984
[QUOTE="Kez1984"][QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

whocares4peace

Your thoughts were also most excellent sir, although, I'd rather have a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 whocares4peace
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"][QUOTE="Kez1984"][QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

Kez1984

Your thoughts were also most excellent sir, although, I'd rather have a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.

I love BG as well. But I just love KOTOR much more.