deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I don't know about you guys but I was pretty bored with Doom Eternal the glory hole kills are getting old for me pretty quick. As cool as they look they are just a QTE without the button prompt. I hope for the next game they ditch them all together it feels like a gimmick to me that has overstayed it's welcome. What do you think? is the series better going forward without them?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Glory hole lol

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@warmblur: agree 100% its the lamest game mechanic ive seen in an arena shooter

https://youtu.be/N13YUZOKfZA

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Yeah it makes it worse that Id relies on it to keep the players health up on the harder difficulty's. I'm at least glad they added more variety to them but since they depend on the players position you still end up only really seeing the same over and over.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The only reason you need to glory kill is to get health during combat, your regular arsenal (especially on replays) is ultimately getting majority of your kills, if not that your chainsaw for your ammo or your flame thrower for armor.

Added bonus you can get the ability to get speed boosts per glory kill, which when paired with air control and the meet hooks air boost gives you even more mobility option. Which is different from other games canned takedowns, as often they are just kills, flashy, with no other interesting merit (plus you can leave yourself vulnerable), and it has synergy with other mechanics in the combat.

Doom 2016 did the mechanic no favors by having enemies that were brain dead and no bullet economy, but Eternals cast of enemies on higher difficulties actually tackle different spaces better and collectively.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#6 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

It's just a USP meant to bling up the trailers and sell more copies.

I don't mind it, but only because it became a blur in my mind after a while.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

U can equip a tune that makes the glory hole kills faster so it's not as annoying

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

The way i see it is a few seconds of iframes in the middle of a clusterf*ck. I want them to stay.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#9 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

The way i see it is a few seconds of iframes in the middle of a clusterf*ck. I want them to stay.

I agree... in some of the marathon encounters they give you a much needed couple of seconds to get your shit together and think about how to deal with the situation before diving back in

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Its not. its normal meelee that has been in gaming since decades. game is design in a way you die alot and you can equip rune that make glory kill faster and you can run faster after performing it. but then again OP you praise Far cry which has press x to kill, regen health, tag enemies, see through walls lol.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

I like them. It adds more challenge and intense combat because you really need to glory kill the enemies to get health back.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44157 Posts

I still really enjoy them myself. 🤷‍♂️

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever

@AcidTango said:

I like them. It adds more challenge and intense combat because you really need to glory kill the enemies to get health back.

apparently OP want regen health system back when they dominate most FPS games last gen..

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I didn't mind them in Doom 2016, doubt I'll mind them in Eternal when I play it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Exactly. It might be a bit weird in there, what with the glowing enemies mid-battle, but ultimately it is a critical mechanic of the game, and far from a gimmick. It definitely adds to the overall game and strategy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I remember casual4ever arguing that they are not QTE's, that was fun. Everything in every game casual hates are broken mechanics, put it in Doom however and it all of a sudden becomes fantastic, brilliant, new concept etc lol.

Its official casual4ever loves QTE's

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@i_p_daily said:

I remember casual4ever arguing that they are not QTE's, that was fun. Everything in every game casual hates are broken mechanics, put it in Doom however and it all of a sudden becomes fantastic, brilliant, new concept etc lol.

you never played Eternal actually so?

its not QTE. try playing it on nightmare and you will see but you wont.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Never really disliked them in 2016, but could go either way on them. And eventually wasn't even using them that much, only when I absolutely needed health. Was a neat enough gimmick, but like many aspects of Doom 4 it wasn't quite balanced.

Eternal, I found them to be an integral part of the combat, especially so on Nightmare. And not just as a way of regaining health.

@Fairmonkey said:

U can equip a tune that makes the glory hole kills faster so it's not as annoying

Yup, that's one option and not a bad one. An added benefit there is that enemies do continue to gain on you when you're in a kill state, so it helps avoid a mob up.

Only (slight) disadvantage there is that your various cool down tools do continue to recharge while executing a glory kill. And like those guys said above, sometimes that extra couple of secs to reorient and get your shit together are much needed.

I geared my rune setup strictly for mobility. So aside from air mobility, I had the one rune that speed boosts after glory kill and the other one that increases glory kill distance. It's a solid setup for covering insane distance, essentially using a downed enemy as a teleport with iframes that I can boost away from after the fact.

-

If it's executed as well Eternal or better, I say keep it. Mechanically it serves interesting purposes, especially so when augmented with runes. As a means of managing health I prefer it to being overly dependent on predefined health pickups, automated regen health, or even worse, encounters being neutered to accommodate its absence.

The whole "take what you want" approach to health/armor/ammo/blood punch, tying stock management directly to combat mechanics, really enables them to go all out with their encounter designs. Could they just make those things (exclusively) enemy-drops instead? Sure. I wouldn't find that nearly as engaging though.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It's not even a quick time event. Its a contextual prompt sure, but that sort of takedowns are in a lot of games. Unless you think Nero's grabs in DMC4 n 5 are QTEs, or Leon's Roundhouse kick in Resi 4, or Stealth takedowns in modern games that are one button take em out moves as seen in the following: Ass Creed, Far Cry, Hitman, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Wolfenstein, Horizon, etc.

QTE's on a basic level are a contextual button prompt usually with some element of a timing pattern or just timing to hit a button, and often have the downside of failure n such. Glory Kills at worst are like the takedowns Buttman has when he builds up his combo chain in the Arkham games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

QTE lover, you get more & more casual everyday lol.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghosts4ever

@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

most hardcore game of this gen.

stick to casual forza with rewind feature

Loading Video...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Meh, only thing I wasn't a fan of was the lack of ammo in the new DOOM. You had a magically resupplying chainsaw for some reason, all because you would cut the hell out of the fodder on the map to resupply your pathetic supply of ammo.

It was so bad that I didn't go for any armor or health upgrades at first, purely expanded my ammo supply.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

most hardcore game of this gen.

stick to casual forza with rewind feature

Loading Video...

It doesn't matter how many reviews you post I'm not watching any of them.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@i_p_daily said:

of course you wont. you cant play anything other than racers and boring open world.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

It's not even a quick time event. Its a contextual prompt sure, but that sort of takedowns are in a lot of games. Unless you think Nero's grabs in DMC4 n 5 are QTEs, or Leon's Roundhouse kick in Resi 4, or Stealth takedowns in modern games that are one button take em out moves as seen in the following: Ass Creed, Far Cry, Hitman, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Wolfenstein, Horizon, etc.

QTE's on a basic level are a contextual button prompt usually with some element of a timing pattern or just timing to hit a button, and often have the downside of failure n such. Glory Kills at worst are like the takedowns Buttman has when he builds up his combo chain in the Arkham games.

Right, it's just a typical action game mechanic, startup/active/recovery frames, positioning concerns and all. (recovery being minimal, but can definitely get clipped on startup). Finishers/takedowns like these, as well as other context sensitive action mechanics have existed long before they coined the term QTE, and don't exactly fall into that barely interactive Simon Says state.

It's weird, but I think a lot of people take issue with the crazy telegraphed light show they make out of it when an enemy can be glory killed. Like that somehow makes it a QTE, just because it's so obvious lol. But then again, telegraphing a weakened enemy state isn't some new or uncommon thing, not even through the use of flashing light. And in Eternals busy fast paced arenas, though the option is there to turn it off, I wouldn't want to go without it. It's just a clear indicator, helps you prioritize your next decision in a game where your player and camera movement are so fast. Unlike a 3rd person action game where the camera is pulled out and you can clearly see a slumped or stumbling enemy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

of course you wont. you cant play anything other than racers and boring open world.

Played Remnant yet you scrub?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I still really enjoy them myself. 🤷‍♂️

Same. They don't bother me and this is hardly a complaint.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Didn’t mind them in doom 2016, however they were wayy overdone in eternal imo.. also the light show in the middle of the combat breaks any immersion and makes it the worst feature of this gen! Also why eternal is an inferior game to doom 2016!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghosts4ever

Also OP, please tell me how is glory kill different than gimmicks like nanosuit in Crysis or slo mo in FEAR?

former donot make game easy instead give challenge while later make games easy but they are also fun mechanics since they revolved around them alot.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

They are essential to the rhythm of combat. You need that short breather before all hell breaks loose again (literarily). But I wish there was more variations (even if you have som control of that yourself, depending on the direction you approach enemies).

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k  Online

@Sushiglutton said:

They are essential to the rhythm of combat. You need that short breather before all hell breaks loose again (literarily). But I wish there was more variations (even if you have som control of that yourself, depending on the direction you approach enemies).

There is a variation if you do it head on, or if you land on them from above.

But also I noticed there are a ton more variation on the basic enemies.

I think each enemy has about 3 variations, with the standard grunt/zombie creatures having like 4-5.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k  Online
@ghosts4ever said:

Also OP, please tell me how is glory kill different than gimmicks like nanosuit in Crysis or slo mo in FEAR?

former donot make game easy instead give challenge while later make games easy but they are also fun mechanics since they revolved around them alot.

Crysis nanosuit makes the game easy...

Wow, now I've heard it all.

Try to finish that game without using the nanosuit, lmao.

In crysis you always have the odds stacked against you, that's where the nanosuit comes in.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Crysis nanosuit makes the game easy...

Wow, now I've heard it all.

Try to finish that game without using the nanosuit, lmao.

In crysis you always have the odds stacked against you, that's where the nanosuit comes in.

nanosuit made Crysis Excellent otherwise it would not be very good. but unfortunately it also made it easy.

I beat Crysis on delta like 10 times before. only hard mission for me was tank mission. even i was kid i found Crysis easy let alone now.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Sushiglutton said:

There is a variation if you do it head on, or if you land on them from above.

But also I noticed there are a ton more variation on the basic enemies.

I think each enemy has about 3 variations, with the standard grunt/zombie creatures having like 4-5.

Yeah I think it's back, front, left, right and then one from above? The problem is though that 90% + of the time the enemy is facing you. So in order to see the other animations you need to actively circle around the enemies, which feels a bit meh.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:

Its not. its normal meelee that has been in gaming since decades. game is design in a way you die alot and you can equip rune that make glory kill faster and you can run faster after performing it. but then again OP you praise Far cry which has press x to kill, regen health, tag enemies, see through walls lol.

That's cute coming from a COD and Halo fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#36 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Don't know about Eternal but in 2016 it got super boring. The whole game loop was super repetitive and short. Still a good game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:

my friend, you dont even know what i play.

have not liked COD since COD2 and not Halo fan but its far and away better than crap like Far cry as in Halo there has never been see through walls, QTE after QTE, interrupt cutscene etc.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k  Online

@Sushiglutton: true that.

Maybe it should be center front, left front and right front.

DOOM slayer isn't that good at stealthing around enemies, lol!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:

my friend, you dont even know what i play.

have not liked COD since COD2 and not Halo fan but its far and away better than crap like Far cry as in Halo there has never been see through walls, QTE after QTE, interrupt cutscene etc.

Halo and COD are responsible for the dumbing down of the FPS genre not FC but then yet again I'm not surprise you defend it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Halo and COD are responsible for the dumbing down of the FPS genre not FC but then yet again I'm not surprise you defend it.

Medal of honor allied assasult shows the sympton of dumbing down FPS first time by introducing scripted sequence, on rail segments etc. before that most FPS were like Doom/Quake or even Half life.

again where did i defend COD? I absolutely agree that COD4 ruined FPS last gen but there are much worse games than COD for example bioshock, wolfenstein etc.

Halo 1 didnot had regen health and cinematic sequence. if you played it on PC you would know. but it did bring 2 weapon limit in FPS.

theres more dumbed down elements in your precious far cry than any of Halo game lol.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#41  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The thread title reminds me of Scary Movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Medal of honor allied assasult shows the sympton of dumbing down FPS first time by introducing scripted sequence, on rail segments etc. before that most FPS were like Doom/Quake or even Half life.

again where did i defend COD? I absolutely agree that COD4 ruined FPS last gen but there are much worse games than COD for example bioshock, wolfenstein etc.

Halo 1 didnot had regen health and cinematic sequence. if you played it on PC you would know. but it did bring 2 weapon limit in FPS.

theres more dumbed down elements in your precious far cry than any of Halo game lol.

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard LMAO nothing wrong with scripted sequences if they are done right and not over used. BTW HL used scripted sequences man you don't know what you are talking about. If you want to talk about bad scripted sequences RE7 is a prime example of that you barely play the game it takes so much control away from you.

Loading Video...

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

I think the lack of ability to shoot out lights is a much bigger issue. 6/10

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard LMAO nothing wrong with scripted sequences if they done right and not over used. BTW HL used scripted sequences man you don't know what you are talking about. If you want to talk about bad scripted sequences RE7 is a prime example of that you barely play the game it takes so much control away from you.

Loading Video...

mack praise many terrible games beacuse of sake of being.

what make RE7 best in series because its only RE game that is actually a horror and immersive game. RE4 is full of QTEs. it handle absolutely fine because it also throw you in puzzle solving. exploring old house in RE7 is far more fun than playing third person zombie entire kick/slash/QTE and saving president daughter that is RE4.

and of course MOH allied assault shows the sympton of dumbing down FPS genre. you cant see it. it was just good game but also most linear and scripted shooter at that time. and there was much better FPS that time. Half life barely use scripted sequence as it throw you most of time in solving puzzles and finding ways in and out.

Allied assault was good game or somewhat great but it has nothing on Doom and Doom Eternal today.

dumbing down of FPS sympton started from allied assault then COD1 introduce aim down the sight then Halo introduce 2 weapon limit and finally COD4 ruined it.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

They brought that back in Eternal? I didn't like it in 2016.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I agree, the game is repetitive enough without that crap. You cant really play it without pressing the glory kill button either because of the game is designed. Its one of the worst things to happen to FPS as far as I am concerned, I play with a wider FOV and its like im teleporting 15 feet across the map for an insta kill every time. Its a stupid mechanic and it needs to die.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard LMAO nothing wrong with scripted sequences if they done right and not over used. BTW HL used scripted sequences man you don't know what you are talking about. If you want to talk about bad scripted sequences RE7 is a prime example of that you barely play the game it takes so much control away from you.

Loading Video...

mack praise many terrible games beacuse of sake of being.

what make RE7 best in series because its only RE game that is actually a horror and immersive game. RE4 is full of QTEs. it handle absolutely fine because it also throw you in puzzle solving. exploring old house in RE7 is far more fun than playing third person zombie entire kick/slash/QTE and saving president daughter that is RE4.

and of course MOH allied assault shows the sympton of dumbing down FPS genre. you cant see it. it was just good game but also most linear and scripted shooter at that time. and there was much better FPS that time. Half life barely use scripted sequence as it throw you most of time in solving puzzles and finding ways in and out.

Allied assault was good game or somewhat great but it has nothing on Doom and Doom Eternal today.

dumbing down of FPS sympton started from allied assault then COD1 introduce aim down the sight then Halo introduce 2 weapon limit and finally COD4 ruined it.

LMAO now you are just trolling Allied Assault is a PC classic there is nothing dumbed down about it. It was a great game and still is the MP is underrated and better then any COD game ever made people still play it to this day it's a amazing clan game that takes teamwork and skill. Halo is where it began back in 2001 with it's regeneration health shields and then COD 2 did the regenerating health and finally COD4 mainstreamed that shit. Learn your gaming history also who gives a shit about ironsights? how does that even make a game dumbed down? it doesn't.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#49 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

Gloryhole kills? Must've missed that one..😂

But no, I love the glory kills. They're a huge part of what makes Doom so awesome. And they're entirely optional. You can take off the stagger coloring too so it won't bother you.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

LMAO now you are just trolling Allied Assault is a PC classic there is nothing dumbed down about it. It was a great game and still is the MP is underrated and better then any COD game ever made people still play it to this day it's a amazing clan game that takes teamwork and skill. Halo is where it began back in 2001 with it's regeneration health shields and then COD 2 did the regenerating health and finally COD4 mainstreamed that shit. Learn your gaming history also who gives a shit about ironsights? how does that even make a game dumbed down? it doesn't.

1. Doesnot matter PC exclusive or not when it was first game that introduce on rail segments and scripted sequence in FPS. Allied assault was just good game like COD1 and 2 were but not as great as Half life, Doom, STALKER etc.

2. Halo 1 never had regen health. you just read somewhere but in reality it use health system with rechargeable shield otherwise it used medikits, sequels use fully regen health. it didnot even had iron sights and cinemtic interruption. games you praised mostly have. it was average 7/10 game but much better than any of far cry and newer wolfenstein games.

3. COD2 e was first game set in realistic setting that use regen health back in 2005. Halo rechargeable shield make sense because it was sci fi game same as Crysis having regen health.

4. Of course ironsight make FPS slower. imagine if Doom has iron sight i would be first person to complain about it as it only matter in FPS that are slower paced. FPS are better without iron sights. I have been playing FPS since 90s and you started playing FPS i guess in 2005 with FEAR i guess. I played complex games like Deus Ex, System shock 2, STALKER and others so i can see what make FPS good and what make bad. I can see why Prey is much closer to System shock philosphy than shitty Bioshock was. or rather its even bad sequel infinite was. thats why i believe how masterpeice RTCW was and how terrible and dumbed down wolfenstein new order and new colossus are because of stupid cinematic and aim down sight gameplay.

my friend, FPS are only genre I play today and i lost interest in every other genre due to stupid RPG and open world implementation in every other game.