Doom fans will be happy with Doom 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 killzonexbox
Member since 2010 • 3019 Posts

id Software has told Doom fans that in-development Doom 4 will be right up their street.Little is known about the game, but the legendary first-person shooter studio told Eurogamer is will be "distinct" from its other shooters – including the id Tech 5-fuelled Rage.

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 killzonexbox
Doom 4 is, according to comments made by Hollenshead in 2009, "not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either".
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
All that concerns me is if it will be more like Doom and Doom II. Hoards of enemies on screen, circle strafing and big-ass guns blasting demons to little pieces.
Avatar image for Sledgehammer117
Sledgehammer117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sledgehammer117
Member since 2011 • 298 Posts

If its got level design like Doom and Doom 2 then it will be a breath of fresh air in a stale market

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 killzonexbox
All that concerns me is if it will be more like Doom and Doom II. Hoards of enemies on screen, circle strafing and big-ass guns blasting demons to little pieces.foxhound_fox
I enjoyed Doom 3 . I even didn't mind the switching between flashlight and gun thing as it was clearly a design and gameplay choice.
killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 killzonexbox

id Software has told Doom fans that in-development Doom 4 will be right up their street.

Little is known about the game, but the legendary first-person shooter studio told Eurogamer is will be "distinct" from its other shooters – including the id Tech 5-fuelled Rage.

"It's going great. It's awesome," id's design director Matt Hooper told Eurogamer.

"We have so many talented people, and as a company we've grown so much. But we've been able to keep them [the Doom 4 and Rage development teams] separate.

"With Rage we're concentrating on making our game as good as it can be. Those guys support us in whatever way they can. And we'll do the same for them."

Doom 4, due out simultaneously on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, was expected to show up at last year's QuakeCon. Explaining its no-show, id CEO Todd Hollenshead said the development team was not ready to demo the game. It is still without a release window.

Doom 4 is, according to comments made by Hollenshead in 2009, "not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either".

"Doom 3 was sort of a reboot. It's a little bit different than those, and if I told you why, I would get my ass kicked when I got back. So I'll just have to leave it at that.

"It's very much deep in development. But everything I've seen on it is ****c Doom, so I don't really have worries that people aren't going to like it and start talking about it," he said.

"They're [the Doom 4 team] going in their own direction," Hooper added. "They're doing something Doom fans will be happy with.

"I try to support them as much as possible. It's a good thing. We're separated enough to be able to go our own ways, but still connected where we can help facilitate both those directions.

"It is distinct enough. It would be dangerous... We don't want to make a re-skinned Doom [with Rage] and then Doom 4 be a re-skinned Rage. That would be bad.

"It's worked out really nicely where we have enough connection to take advantage of things like technology and talent, but enough separation to be able to go in a unique direction."

id's next game, post-apocalyptic shooter Rage, launches this September. Doom 3 released in 2004. Eurogamer turned up a 9/10 in our Doom 3 review.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

If they don't add health regen and don't make it

______________________________________________________ 5hours

intro cutscene cutscene cutscene ending

I think it's gonna be ok.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 foxhound_fox
I enjoyed Doom 3 . I even didn't mind the switching between flashlight and gun thing as it was clearly a design and gameplay choice.killzonexbox
I very much enjoyed Doom 3... it was just a different game from the previous three (Final Doom included). Instead of running-and-gunning, it was turned into a very linear horror game. I do hope that Doom "4" (technically should be III if it builds off the old ones) is much more like the first games... because that genre is all but dead now (the only things really keeping it alive are Serious Sam and Painkiller re-releases).
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts
  • NO pitch darkness
  • NO theme trying to be scary and failing
  • NO bland gray colours (Doom II had more appealing colours)
  • NO weak as hell weapons that just do not feel right.

And i will be hyped..

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
They need to have a split, have some parts survival horror, sections with long dark corridors, jump scares, the usual tricks. Then have some sections where it's all about shooting for a bit. If they can pace it well that would be great.
killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 killzonexbox
  • NO pitch darkness
  • NO theme trying to be scary and failing
  • NO bland gray colours (Doom II had more appealing colours)
  • NO weak as hell weapons that just do not feel right.

And i will be hyped..

Lucianu
and please no kill-streak...
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 foxhound_fox

They need to have a split, have some parts survival horror, sections with long dark corridors, jump scares, the usual tricks. Then have some sections where it's all about shooting for a bit. If they can pace it well that would be great.bobbetybob

Or the should NOT follow RE4 convention and just do what Doom II did so well to begin with. Have monster closest with incredibly powerful enemies (Archville for instance were 10x more difficult in Doom II), or just have a large group of Demons waiting around the next corner and have Hellknights and Mancubus' warp in behind you once they are disturbed.

Anyone who is anyone HAS to play Doom II: Hell On Earth on Ultra Violence. It is hands down one of the most exhilerating shooter experiences to ever be had. And some of the levels are so memorable... god, now I want to play Doom... >_>

Guess I'll go get it setup on the desktop. Oh yeah, for everyone who doesn't know about this: http://www.skulltag.com/ It turns Doom (and Hexec) .wads into modern online shooters.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox

and please no kill-streak...killzonexbox

Unless it involves taking a plasma rifle and cutting a swath through a group of zombiemen.

Secret-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Secret-Face
Member since 2011 • 223 Posts
Hope its at least similar to the original series. i,e plenty of blood and gore, kickass music, puzzle-esque level design and brutal bosses.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lucianu

Guess I'll go get it setup on the desktop. Oh yeah, for everyone who doesn't know about this: http://www.skulltag.com/ It turns Doom (and Hexec) .wads into modern online shooters.

foxhound_fox

I also have a HD texture pack and High Quality music pack both in that source port, makes the game look so much better, and with that hardcore music pack it pumps my freakin' blood.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i swear if it has regenerative health im going to lose faith in game designers!
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Lucianu

I also have a HD texture pack and High Quality music pack both in that source port, makes the game look so much better, and with that hardcore music pack it pumps my freakin' blood.

Where'd you get those? :o

Secret-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Secret-Face
i swear if it has regenerative health im going to lose faith in game designers!campzor
I wouldn't expect id to jump on that bandwagon. God help us all if they do :o
killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 killzonexbox
i swear if it has regenerative health im going to lose faith in game designers!campzor
Health regen on very easy mode.... anything harder and you need med kits
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lucianu

Where'd you get those? :o

DarkLink77

I'm gonna post them in 10 minutes.. gotta find the links again.. and make a coffee..

They are .zip btw., you just put 'em in the "Skins" folder, it's easy. Made a couple of more screenshots.

It's hard to make screenshots wen you're blasting away countless demons from hell on Ultra Violence.

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 killzonexbox
[QUOTE="campzor"]i swear if it has regenerative health im going to lose faith in game designers!Secret-Face

I know ign will not knock point cuz is not COD.......
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

I think its pretty safe to say Doom 4 is going to be awesome.

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 killzonexbox

I think its pretty safe to say Doom 4 is going to be awesome.

evilross
hell yeah cant wait.....
Avatar image for barney_calhoun_
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 barney_calhoun_
Member since 2006 • 3887 Posts
I would actually like a mixture between Doom 1 and 3
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lucianu

'Aight, here, i looked for my older messages in my inbox.

Doom HD texture pack for all source ports (download the one for skulltag)

Hi res items is also a must.

I have a remixed music pack for the entire Doom 1 game in skulltag, forgot from were.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]i swear if it has regenerative health im going to lose faith in game designers!Secret-Face

well... im pretty sure RAGE has regen.. where is you messiah now!!?? :P
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I hope its more like Doom 3 than the rest.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Is there going to be another mysterious shortage of duct tape?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 foxhound_fox

Is there going to be another mysterious shortage of duct tape?

LordQuorthon

What, you scared of the dark? *trollface.jpg* The choice between light and protection was a very good element in D3, it made for much more hectic gunfights, and the lack of security knowing you could be faced with demons at any time when the lights were out.

And for crissakes, they had a mistaken shipment of CHAINSAWS delivered to the base... so why could they not have duct tape?

Also, darkness in multiplayer was great fun.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

'Aight, here, i looked for my older messages in my inbox.

Doom HD texture pack for all source ports (download the one for skulltag)

Hi res items is also a must.

I have a remixed music pack for the entire Doom 1 game in skulltag, forgot from were.

Lucianu

I have music packs for all of doom1,2, and final doom.

I use jdoom though, don't know if it'd work with skulltag.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

What, you scared of the dark? *trollface.jpg* The choice between light and protection was a very good element in D3, it made for much more hectic gunfights, and the lack of security knowing you could be faced with demons at any time when the lights were out.

And for crissakes, they had a mistaken shipment of CHAINSAWS delivered to the base... so why could they not have duct tape?

Also, darkness in multiplayer was great fun.

foxhound_fox

As fun as it may be for you, which is valid, there's always a certain element of metagame logic that's just too obvious for some of us to ignore. I mean, I understand it's a video game. I can magically heal myself just by standing still somewhere? Yeah, I'll buy that. My character flies around shooting laser beams out of his nostrils? Yeah, I'm in. My character is from the future and, yet, he's unable to understand that ductaping the flashling to his gun makes things far easier? I'm not buying that. I know he's a space marine and everything, but people are not that stupid.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts
Bow do you think they will be able to keep Doom 4 fresh and at the same time, true to it's roots, Without making it a boring linear shooter? I hope ID can pull it off.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I hope so, 3 was a slight disappointment because they tried to make it a horror game... hopefully they learn this time we just want to blast satan's minions back to hell!

Secret-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Secret-Face

I hope so, 3 was a slight disappointment because they tried to make it a horror game... hopefully they learn this time we just want to blast satan's minions back to hell!

Espada12
Well, wasn't doom always a horror shooter in a way?
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Secret-Face

Nah, the first two games were action games with monsters basically. The theme for Doom 3 was trying to make it a horror game by making the place overly dark, requiring you to switch between gun and flashlight and stuff like that.

Avatar image for ExplosiveChorro
ExplosiveChorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ExplosiveChorro
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

omg, i love your sig..... its amazing
tume-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tume-x
Member since 2006 • 532 Posts

[QUOTE="Secret-Face"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

Nah, the first two games were action games with monsters basically. The theme for Doom 3 was trying to make it a horror game by making the place overly dark, requiring you to switch between gun and flashlight and stuff like that.

And trying to be different, not a rehash of previous sequels/fresh is bad how, exactly? I would have killed myself if Doom 3 was exactly like Doom 1, 2, Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, Plutonia Experiment, etc... I love Resurrection Of Evil (the mission/addon pack) for Doom 3, it was a perfect mix of old school and Doom 3. People used to complain about the mindless Doom-esque shooters just 2-3 years back ("No more mindless monster-killing! We want more substance in our FPS-games!"), that's the reason they did Doom 3 the way they did. Painkiller tried to bring the genre back, but it only had a small cult following. Now you're all asking for the Doom-clone era to come back?? Gamers are so weird, never know what they want.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Espada12

And trying to be different, not a rehash of previous sequels/fresh is bad how, exactly? I would have killed myself if Doom 3 was exactly like Doom 1, 2, Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, Plutonia Experiment, etc... I love Resurrection Of Evil (the mission/addon pack) for Doom 3, it was a perfect mix of old school and Doom 3. People used to complain about the mindless Doom-esque shooters just 2-3 years back ("No more mindless monster-killing! We want more substance in our FPS-games!"), that's the reason they did Doom 3 the way they did. Painkiller tried to bring the genre back, but it only had a small cult following. Now you're all asking for the Doom-clone era to come back?? Gamers are so weird, never know what they want.tume-x

No I'm not asking for the game to straight up be like the originals.. we are in 2011 after all. I want it to be more like them though. Doom 3 was a reboot to the series (Carmack's words) and overall with the flashlight mod and other things.. it is a really good game. They just need to make it a little more like the originals. Also I didn't play ROE so I dunno how that was.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

Bow do you think they will be able to keep Doom 4 fresh and at the same time, true to it's roots, Without making it a boring linear shooter? I hope ID can pull it off.ChiefFreeman

Thats the thing though.... Doom was not a linear shooter.

Modern shooters are far, far more linear. Point a ---- point b. Thats pretty much it for stuff like Halo, Killzone, Call of Duty, whatever.

Games like Doom, Hexen, Duke Nukem, Quake, and Unreal were anything but linear.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

haha i lold

no, Doom fans will not be happy that Doom 4 will be a console port, they will not be happy it has regen health, they will not care since John romero left over 10 years ago

id are dead, the talent left years ago, if Carmack is going to be making Console games instead of pushing technology, than Bethesda lost out on 100million

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Espada12

haha i lold

no, Doom fans will not be happy that Doom 4 will be a console port, they will not be happy it has regen health, they will not care since John romero left over 10 years ago

id are dead, the talent left years ago, if Carmack is going to be making Console games instead of pushing technology, than Bethesda lost out on 100million

HaloinventedFPS

Console port or not it's not like Doom had some special formula that couldn't be done on consoles. I have faith D4 will be good, and I want to see it on PC since it's going to look x3 better than Rage according to carmack!

rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts
One of my most hyped games.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

here is your Doom 4

keep in mind the graphics will probly be worse than Doom 3 with mods due to Consoles

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 killzonexbox
will not care since John romero left over 10 years ago has Romero made a decent game after daikatana..
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
I hope this game is similar to Doom 2. 1) Lots of enemy variety 2) Rock music 3) Corridor shooting 3) Plasma guns, BFG 9000 4) Cool atmosphere and art stdyle 5) More than two colors on the screen at the same time (not just brown and grey) If it fulfills some of of those then its all perfect :D