Doom (4) , showcased on PC . First Details from QuakeCon

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Heirren said:

@clyde46:

Horrible? How so? I much prefer something as simple as muscle memory vs actually bringing up an overlay.

Its rather inaccurate, in the middle of a firefight its annoying have to change your weapon via the scroll wheel as more often than not you can fly by the weapon you actually want.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@system-reboot said:

@Cranler said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

@sam890 said:

Don't see why PC gamers bitch about using controllers,

This is an FPS though. It means the game will likely be slow paced and not twitch type in design if they showcased it via controller.

Serious Sam can be played with a controller. That game is Doom in a brighter atmosphere. Also remember that Doom was originally designed for kb only. You turned and aimed on the kb which is slower and clunkier than a controller.

What? Turns speed is far greater with K/M for games in first person view. These types of games just don't take advatange of analog 360 movement. Games that give you an overhead camera, or need you to control speed, i can see it.

In these games, WASD is perfectly fine, but the mouse is simply much faster and more accurate for aiming, looking and general pointing.

Wow dude! I said kb only which implies no mouse support then I say that the turning and aiming is done with the kb, and then you reply bringing up kb/MOUSE.

Doom came with no mouse support. You played with both hands on the kb. And once again turning and aiming is better on a controller than on a kb.

In short if the original Doom can be played with only a kb then being able to playing Doom 4 on a controller isn't a bad sign.

because doom was release in 1993 of course its too old game and no mouse support (however brutal doom has mouse support)

FPS is best play with keyboard and mouse. even my friend who is non gamer (or part time gamer) think keyboard and mouse is best to play FPS games.

controller only slower the gameplay.

Oh, you're SNIPER

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#103 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

This will end up like the new duke nukem

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@waahahah said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Game-play first and foremost, not looking good.

Much like Wolfenstein: The New Order, weapons are accessed via a weapon wheel (again, something that’s undoubtedly more relevant to controller wielders than keyboard/mouse aficionados

Did you even play Wolfenstein ?

Weapons could be accessed with the '1' '2' '3' ... buttons. So I don't even know what you are complaining about.

At the behest of pc gamers crying "oh, it's not a bad console port, it's not bad" yes.

Sadly, it was Call Of Duty, with a weapon wheel. Seeing a weapon wheel at all with mouse and keyboard is barbaric.

I like the weapon wheel, especially when you have 9 guns... I find its easier to switch with it bound to the mouse button and still be able to wasd out of the way or not worry about fat fingering the weapon switch reaching for the bfg.

See, that's the great thing. The PC version gives you choice: you can use whatever you want and find the most to your liking.

I don't get how some elitists (fakeboys) try to make it out like a bad thing.

Oh no, Crysis 1 has a power wheel, must be because it was made for consoles :O

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@Heirren said:

@clyde46:

Horrible? How so? I much prefer something as simple as muscle memory vs actually bringing up an overlay.

Its rather inaccurate, in the middle of a firefight its annoying have to change your weapon via the scroll wheel as more often than not you can fly by the weapon you actually want.

That's why you do hot key as well, but imo scroll wheel is just fine. Like I said an overlay is still more cumbersome any way you look at it, as youve got to physically stop doing what else you are doing. PS4 should be using the swipe bad for weapon toggle.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

no chance. Gearbox is one of the worst developer around (alien colonial and duke forever)

This is ID software

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

Chances are, like Wolfenstien: The New Order, console centric reviewers barely above 20 will gush "oh oh oh oh oh ohweeeeeee ohhhhhh so old school". While running around incredibly linear levels, watching many Call Of Duty'esc scripted sequences, on the rail sections, checkpoint system e.t.c....

Very sad story.

Look at this fellow. Looks like twilight man. Advertizing Call Of Duty.

Modern reviewers barely learn to grow beard. Claim hardcore old school. Not even born.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@uninspiredcup said:

@Shielder7 said:

Chances are, like Wolfenstien: The New Order, console centric reviewers barely above 20 will gush "oh oh oh oh oh ohweeeeeee ohhhhhh so old school". While running around incredibly linear levels, watching many Call Of Duty'esc scripted sequences, on the rail sections, checkpoint system e.t.c....

Very sad story.

Different developers. so chances are slim.

beside those who saw it at quackcon say otherwise.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

@uninspiredcup said:

Look at this fellow. Looks like twilight man. Advertizing Call Of Duty.

Modern reviewers barely learn to grow beard. Claim hardcore old school. Not even born.

Aiming down the sight is Hardcore? i mean WTF??

what is happening in the World??!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 uninspiredcup

@system-reboot said:

Quakecon suppose to be pc event for pc people who play pc's. But, Todd Stewert boo'd live on stage for showing Skyrim running on xbox360 with pad. John Carmack left. And now Doom shown running on control pad designed for console people.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

@uninspiredcup said:

@system-reboot said:

Quakecon suppose to be pc event for pc people who play pc's. But, Todd Stewert boo'd live on stage for showing Skyrim running on xbox360 with pad. John Carmack left. And now Doom shown running on control pad designed for console people.

• Fast-paced combat against multiple enemies at once - Doom 3 this ain't.
  • Go fast. "Doom is not about about taking cover" said executive producer Marty Stratton.

Doesnot looks like design with control pad.

and beside Hard reset and shadow warrior no matter how much i loved them doesnot even sound 1/3 of new Doom.

i mean in doom enemies are not only running at you and according to those who saw they say it has crazy AI.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#112 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

They often demo with a control pad because it is a far more pleasant viewing experience. Mouse can be jarring to people who aren't used to it. Even then it's harder to produce those smooth, cinematic turns.

wolf new order wasn't really old school despite a few homages to the old games.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

So? The original Doom supported joysticks and gamepads along with keyboard and mouse. I tried my old Gravis Gamepad on it. It sucked. But, it worked.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By uninspiredcup

@jun_aka_pekto said:

The original Doom

Original doom pc game. Doom 4 console game. Ported over.

Very simples.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 uninspiredcup

@system-reboot said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@system-reboot said:

• Fast-paced combat against multiple enemies at once - Doom 3 this ain't.
  • Go fast. "Doom is not about about taking cover" said executive producer Marty Stratton.

Doesnot looks like design with control pad.

and beside Hard reset and shadow warrior no matter how much i loved them doesnot even sound 1/3 of new Doom.

i mean in doom enemies are not only running at you and according to those who saw they say it has crazy AI.

My friend, I respect you the most, but to trust PR buzz is foolish,

Titanfall all the fake PR buzz, the sundance style awards? 80 metacritics, everybody has forgotten about it.

ID aren't even trying to hide the fact they don't give a shit about pc.

Never is the shift from PC to console more abundantly clear than when Carmack asserts, “We still think the PC is a market worth supporting, but we’re not making decision around the PC. It’s probably more of the junior partner in the cross-platform strategy, although obviously, our day-to-day development is predominately on the PC.”

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

The original Doom

Very simples.

What difference does it make? Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 were both designed for the PS3 and its controller. Yet, both played much better once I used a mouse/keyboard converter and played both with mouse and keyboard.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@uninspiredcup said:

Very simples.

again you are wrong. ID only make console game that was Rage.

Even Doom 3 was PC game later come to console. Doom 4 used to be console game i mean early build on ID tech 5

http://kotaku.com/five-years-and-nothing-to-show-how-doom-4-got-off-trac-468097062

it was linear cinematic game with regen health, iron sight and cover system. basically call of doom

it was scrap not long ago.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@uninspiredcup said:

Titanfall all the fake PR buzz, the sundance style awards? 80 metacritics, everybody has forgotten about it.

Never is the shift from PC to console more abundantly clear than when Carmack asserts, “We still think the PC is a market worth supporting, but we’re not making decision around the PC. It’s probably more of the junior partner in the cross-platform strategy, although obviously, our day-to-day development is predominately on the PC.”

again when was last time ID make console game (that was not Rage). ID is equivalent of Valve. if that was the case than they should never showcase on PC. Rage was showcase on console and never had any PC detail once its released.

I think Doom 3 was almost as good as Half life 2. but it should be more fast paced action focus. and all preview stated that its doom 3 with fast paced gameplay.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#120 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

sounds good, wonder how replayable the game will be

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#121 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

@system-reboot: Better fps in he last 10 years? Such as? Dont say bioshock infinite.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 uninspiredcup

ID haven't made a pc game in about 10 years.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

@dakan45 said:

@system-reboot: Better fps in he last 10 years? Such as? Dont say bioshock infinite.

Half life 2 Episode 2

Stalker Shadow of chernoboyl

Stalker Call of Pripyat

Shadow Warrior

Hard Reset

Metro 2033/last light

Crysis 1

FEAR

Team fortress 2

Red Orchestra 2

Killing Floor

etc.....

and of course bioshock infinite was pretty bad game with poor gunplay.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#124  Edited By dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

@system-reboot: half life 2 episode 2 came out in 2007, so forget that. Good campaign, meh combat,

Shadow of chernobyl is buggy with a pretty meh campaign and crapy shooting mechanics, call of pripyat was a step forward but it is more of a open world game than a fps.

Shadow warrior gunplay sucks compared to wolfenstein, guns are basicly weak trash.

Crysis 1 had awful gunplay and ai, and you bash wolfenstein? Lets not get into the horrible story.

Fear came out in 2005, had better ai, but the guns and the level design where nowhere near as good as wolfenstein.

"Team fortress 2

Red Orchestra 2

Killing Floor"

You compare mp games based on teamplay with a linear fps focused on story and oldschool rampage?

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 SYSTEM-REBOOT

Killing floor is not multiplayer game. its coop game you can play alone too..

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@scottpsfan14 said:
@system-reboot said:

@uninspiredcup said:

again when was last time ID make console game (that was not Rage). ID is equivalent of Valve. if that was the case than they should never showcase on PC. Rage was showcase on console and never had any PC detail once its released.

I think Doom 3 was almost as good as Half life 2. but it should be more fast paced action focus. and all preview stated that its doom 3 with fast paced gameplay.

I agree. ID are still the grandfathers of PC gaming. Gabe Newell agrees with this. If it weren't for ID Doom and Quake, we would have no Valve games and many many other shooters.

Doom 3 does not beat Half Life 2 however lol. No comparison. Doom 1 is much better than Doom 3 IMHO. I just love that game soo much.

i've recently played hl2 and doom 3, i enjoyed doom 3 more. but i could see opinions going the other way.

i just really wanted a quote chain of us four horsemen.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#128  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@scottpsfan14 said:
@system-reboot said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I agree. ID are still the grandfathers of PC gaming. Gabe Newell agrees with this. If it weren't for ID Doom and Quake, we would have no Valve games and many many other shooters.

Doom 3 does not beat Half Life 2 however lol. No comparison. Doom 1 is much better than Doom 3 IMHO. I just love that game soo much.

i've recently played hl2 and doom 3, i enjoyed doom 3 more. but i could see opinions going the other way.

i just really wanted a quote chain of us four horsemen.

My hearts always going to be with halflife, it was really my introduction into serious FPS and modding. But doom 3 with mods was pretty good, until I got to hell.

Holy crap was that some lazy design. I really hope doom 4 doesn't fall into the same old tropes as that.