Doom 2016 vs Doom Eternal. Which is better game in the end?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

Poll Doom 2016 vs Doom Eternal. Which is better game in the end? (43 votes)

Doom 2016 42%
Doom Eternal 58%

Hello friends,

what the topic said. which one you found better in the end?

for me, something Eternal does better, something 2016 does better.

Eternal does combat fluidity, movement with dashing, grappling and level design make it more varied while 2016 one did atmosphere, soundtracks and boss fights better actually.

both have strength and weakness over other but Eternal take cake for me.

both are 2 of best FPS released this gen for sure.

so friends, lets vote which one we found better.

• 
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

First few hours I felt it was a give or take. Like I knew immediately that Eternal had the better combat, which ultimately meant the better game, seeing as that's what both games are all about. But I felt Doom 4 had slightly better level design.

Edit: Can't even remember what it was that I liked so much about the Foundry level from Doom 4, but that's the only level that I might like more than Eternals offerings.

After pushing further, and especially after beating Eternal, nah. I think it mops Doom 4 across the board. Does everything 4 does, but better. Combat and platforming are way better, and even though exploring for secrets is kinda whatever in both games, I feel Eternals better hidden secrets are more clever. Not really saying much on that last bit tho.

Boss fights in Eternal aren't all that, but I can't even remember the boss fights in Doom 4 tbh.

Anyways, can already tell Eternal is one of those action games I'll be revisiting regularly over the years. Doom 4, liked it a lot, but exhausted it quickly and never cared to go back.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38111 Posts

Eternal destroys Doom2016. Enemy variety and redesign, level design, weapons (meat hook on super shotty is the best new addition ever) and intensity of each encounter is so much better.

The only things i dislike is limited ammo. I hear a lot of people saying that you have chainsaw fuel that regens, so it excuses the limited ammo. But i'd bet you anything they're playing on baby difficulties, and not nightmare. On difficult encounters (especially early game when you don't have every weapon/upgrade), you need those three bars on the chainsaw to quickly dispatch of an annoying enemy or you die. I'm perfectly fine of having limited amount of rockets and bfg ammo, but im not okay with constantly running out of shotty, plasma and rifle ammo, not in a game like Doom.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ConanTheStoner

@hardwenzen:

Yeah, the ammo economy did suck early on, at least on my first run.

Of course once you have a stacked arsenal and you've upped your ammo carry through Sentinal Crystals, becomes a non issue.

But going out of your way to gut a pinata in the early game did seem a bit unbalanced. Still better than Doom 4's Nightmare early game, where health was terribly stacked against the player.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38111 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@hardwenzen:

Yeah, the ammo economy did suck early on, at least on my first run.

Of course once you have a stacked arsenal and you've upped your ammo carry through Sentinal Crystals, becomes a non issue.

But going out of your way to gut a pinata in the early game did seem a bit unbalanced. Still better than Doom 4's Nightmare early game, where health was terribly stacked against the player.

In Doom4, i remember having a hard time on Nightmare only very early on. But as soon as you have a few levels done, the hologram spam made it trivial on my end. Combat shotty was also extremely unbalanced and the aoe stun on the plasma rifle into super shotty or remote detonation rockets combo was too op against difficult enemies. I remember playing the game wanting to die, but you had too many tools to survive. Eternal sure did a better job at this.

I wish Eternal had a ng+ that replaced ALL fodder enemies by op ones. That would be some juice.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Both are good.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ghosts4ever:

I don't know why people entertain your idiotic same, same threads.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ConanTheStoner

@hardwenzen:

lol yeah, Doom 4 is too easy to cheese. circle strafe + ssg = win for the most part. Enemies just had no way to deal with your mobility and toolset.

Glad they toned down the ssg for Eternal. Still my default weapon since the meat hook is an insanely cool mechanic, but enemies are far less friendly about letting you get in their face for a shotgun blast this time around.

@hardwenzen said:

I wish Eternal had a ng+ that replaced ALL fodder enemies by op ones. That would be some juice.

Ha, that'd be dope. At least master levels are a thing tho. Hope they roll more of those out quickly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

I haven't played Eternal yet, but I loved Doom 2016 so much that I kinda doubt I'll like Eternal better. The music, gameplay, atmosphere--everything was just so awesome about that first Doom. Playing that sh_t on nightmare with the headphones jacked up is the only way to go. Pure rush.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ConanTheStoner
@i_p_daily said:

@ghosts4ever:

While this is a typical Ghosts thread, at least this is his first go on this specific subject.

But yeah, I expect him to run this one at least once a month. Along with variations of it, "Doom Eternal vs. insert other fps" on repeat.

He'll spend more time talking about it than playing it, that's for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@i_p_daily said:

@ghosts4ever:

While this is a typical Ghosts thread, at least this is his first go on this specific subject.

But yeah, I expect him to run this one at least once a month. Along with variations of it, "Doom Eternal vs. insert other fps" on repeat.

He'll spend more time talking about it than playing it, that's for sure.

Well he did say he just finished it, so he's already spent more than triple the time "playing" it on here (defending it) than actual game time.

He only had 33hrs logged in for Doom 2016 and spent 1000hrs defending that, so I expect the same here. He's more of a robot than what Ron is lol.

fileman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fileman3
Member since 2005 • 401 Posts

Combat and action are much better in eternal

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Eternal. The only people who say otherwise are scrubs.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#14 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Eternal is huge improvement IMO.

It just has so much more variety and much better pacing, especially in the final third compared to 2016.

it keeps the action fresh by introducing new elements throughout and does a great job of building on the core combat mechanics from 2016.

I personally like the platforming since the movement generally feels great.

Its everything I hoped it would be. I guess the story is kinda just "there" but who plays DOOM for the Story?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

Enteral was good but my gripes are no damage melee's, too many wave hordes to proceed and too much platforming. I think Doom 2016 had a better atmosphere than Enteral. Everything else Enteral did better.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24845 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Eternal. The only people who say otherwise are scrubs.

but champ, Doom 3 was also great.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34468 Posts

I think they're pretty equal, but Eternal takes the cake. Faster and more fluid gameplay and better feeling weapons. Otherwise, they're pretty equal when it comes to level design and shit. Wouldn't go back to DOOM 2016 after playing Eternal.

I still wish the levels were more like DOOM 1&2, as they feel a bit too linear for my taste. But the combat being freaking good makes me not care about the level design that much.

Not that I personally care, but DOOM 2016 multiplayer was much better than Eternal's. Played a few matches and won all of them but one. It's just not that fun. Regular deathmatch, like in 2016, would've been better.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45992 Posts

DOOM 2016 has it beat in style

DOOM Eternal has more varried levels and I would say better gameplay.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

In terms of singleplayer gameplay it's dead easy. Doom Eternal flows better, has better difficulty settings, has better gunplay. It's simply better. Story? I haven't finished Doom Eternal but I could see 2016 beating it. I do love the Doom Fortress (did 2016 even have a hub I don't remember) and honestly I don't really play Doom to find a compelling story (although it would be a bonus) so Eternal gets my vote.

(I don't play multiplayer.)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

I still wish the levels were more like DOOM 1&2, as they feel a bit too linear for my taste. But the combat being freaking good makes me not care about the level design that much.

These levels are design by john romero, you cant expect hugo martin to design these kind of levels.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghosts4ever
@KungfuKitten said:

In terms of singleplayer gameplay it's dead easy. Doom Eternal flows better, has better difficulty settings, has better gunplay. It's simply better. Story? I haven't finished Doom Eternal but I could see 2016 beating it. I do love the Doom Fortress (did 2016 even have a hub I don't remember) and honestly I don't really play Doom to find a compelling story (although it would be a bonus) so Eternal gets my vote.

(I don't play multiplayer.)

Doom 2016 story was very underrated and it was good.

Eternal story kinda meh that they added some ancient race which is out of place. thats my only complain about Eternal.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

The only thing I consider better in 2016 is the soundtrack. The new one is good, but nowhere near as original as 2016s.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ghosts4ever

Loading Video...

Someone mod Doom Eternal as third person.

AronHalp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 AronHalp
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

I liked Eternal.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ConanTheStoner
@getyeryayasout said:

I'm pleasantly surprised with how well I'm enjoying all the other stuff. Particularly the exploration, secrets, and platforming.

Yup, was a little concerned about the platforming and wall climbing going into it. Thought it might be a drag, especially on subsequent plays. But it's all so fast and responsive, and even fun with all the air control you have. Total non issue.

And once you know the levels well enough, can basically fly blind, and even bypass a lot of the inbetween platforms they expect you to take.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

Doom Eternal. Had a blast playing it, waiting for next DOOM :)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

but champ, Doom 3 was also great.

bitch stfu. You n I are united this year in the gospel that is Doom: Eternal. Don't ruin it lol

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Litchie

@getyeryayasout: @ConanTheStoner:

Totally agree, the platforming was enjoyable. Makes me think of Metroid Prime.

There's just something about the gameplay loop of exploring, combat, platforming and puzzle solving of the DOOM games. It's awesome.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

There's just something about the gameplay loop of exploring, combat, platforming and puzzle solving of the DOOM games. It's awesome.

and thats why Eternal is best Doom.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Litchie

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

and thats why Eternal is best Doom.

Eternal is a sweet ass DOOM game. Let's leave it at that. :P