Don't believe the hype: Super Mario Galaxy is not that great!

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fadih2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fadih2
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

After sifting through a host of reviews calling Nintendo's new Super Mario Galaxy game "one of the best Mario adventures yet", I decided to head down to my local Gamestop and pick up a copy.

Now, it should be noted that I have played each and every Super Mario game dating back to Super Mario Bros. and have always been a fan of the series. In fact, to this day, I still consider Super Mario Sunshine to be one of the better games in the Mario franchise. Further, Super Mario 64 was simply a marvel of its time and easily one of the best experiences I've ever had gaming.

But after playing through Super Mario Galaxy for the past week, I simply don't get all the hype surrounding the game. Is it a good game? Sure. Is it a great game? No.

The first thing that struck me about this game was the utter lack of beauty. And while I realize the Wii doesn't have the horsepower we've all come to know and love in the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 or the PC, this game looks no better than games released back in 2001.

Is graphics everything? Of course not. But don't you think Nintendo could have done a slightly better job creating a better looking world? I hate to be picky, but compare this game to Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube -- Nintendo's last generation device -- and there is no contest. And after playing games like Call of Duty 4 and Assassin's Creed, I can't help but think this game is downright ugly for this generation.

But alas, Mario games have always been about gameplay. And while much of the jumping and fluid motion I had come to love in Sunshine is still present, the interaction of the game with the Wii-Mote made this game feel gimmicky.

Am I the only person in the world who started playing this game and thought the need to "shake the Wii-mote" back and forth was one of the dumbest aspects of this game?

And I think that's where Nintendo lost me. With a first-party game, I truly believe the Wii-mote should be inexorably tied to gameplay. Unfortunately, it simply wasn't. In fact, it almost seemed like this functionality was tacked on at the end because, after all, a Wii game must use that Wii-mote in some way, right?

But perhaps this is an issue that plagues the Wii more than this game itself. Is it possible that Wii-mote interaction is difficult and it only really works on mini-games and sports titles? Now that I've played Super Mario Galaxy, I certainly believe so.

One other major issue I had with this title is its unbearably boring story. Why must I sit through drawn-out text discussions of the story when all I really want to do is play the game? Suffice it to say, Nintendo's way of telling a story through a dialog box is out-dated and stupid. It should have been thrown out the window with the Gamecube.

Of course, not everything was bad in Super Mario Galaxy. In fact, Nintendo broke the mold of gameplay in quite a few ways that should usher in some new ways to make games. I especially enjoyed running under planets and moving around and jumping was as simple and fun as it always has been.

But in the end, I was left wanting more out of this game. Not only does it look downright ugly at times, the tacked-on feel of some of its controls and its utter lack of a compelling story preclude me from calling it the "wonderful" game others have called it. Is it a good game? Yes. Is it great? Not a chance.

If you ask me, this game deserves a 7 out of 10.

-Link- http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9823074-1.html

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts

....In fact, to this day, I still consider Super Mario Sunshine to be one of the better games in the Mario franchise.... Is it a great game? No...

.....it look downright ugly at times,....If you ask me, this game deserves a 7 out of 10.

fadih2

Davis092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Davis092
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
This thread will epxlode soon.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Oh, believe the hype. I buy and play a lot of games. Super Mario Galaxy is among the best I've played in the last 10 years.
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts
Hmm. You have had this account for over two years. Did you suddenly feel the need for attention by flame baiting?
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BioShockOwnz
Also, Assassin's Creed and COD4 are FAR more ugly in terms of visuals. SMG has an artstyle where the colors are sharp and vibrant. You don't see jaggies and lazy textures like in AC and COD4. This guy's just a hater.
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts
Okay this thread is extremely laughable.

SMG looks ugly? Are you blind in one eye?

The game has a perfect combination of normal controls and motion capabilities. It does not abuse the Wii Remote.

"Not a chance of being a great game" - Sorry, but the game has already been scored 9.5 here, 9.7 at IGN and 9.7 overall at Gamerankings. You're trying to make an opinion look like a fact. Well guess what, you're wrong. If you think SMG is not that great of a game, then good for you, you don't have rant about it here because most people already know it's an amazing game.

There are no "drawn out text discussions" in the game. Haha, that just sounds like you haven't even played it. The game is constantly playing. Every game has some text with the story, live with it.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Played it beat it played it again beat it again. Got all 120 stars and yes this game is really worth EVERY moment. Beleive the hype.

And the whole "Bad Story" bit is just silly people. Thats like saying that Contra has a bad story. Really why would anyone possibly care?

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Well, you are entitled to your opinion...but I disagree with everything.

I think the game is down right stunning visually.

I think the story is a bit long winded at the gate, but after it you never hear form anyone ever again...which is how it should be being a mario game and all.

And I love the motion controls. I think the shake is set at just the right sensitivity to make it feel really intuitive. Besides, there aren't anymore buttons to map the spin too.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Toeach his own I guess. I don't see how anyone could think this game is not beautiful and full of life and provide absolutely brilliant gameplay.
ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#11 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts
Okay this thread is extremely laughable.

SMG looks ugly? Are you blind in one eye?

The game has a perfect combination of normal controls and motion capabilities. It does not abuse the Wii Remote.

"Not a chance of being a great game" - Sorry, but the game has already been scored 9.5 here, 9.7 at IGN and 9.7 overall at Gamerankings. You're trying to make an opinion look like a fact. Well guess what, you're wrong. If you think SMG is not that great of a game, then good for you, you don't have rant about it here because most people already know it's an amazing game.

There are no "drawn out text discussions" in the game. Haha, that just sounds like you haven't even played it. The game is constantly playing. Every game has some text with the story, live with it.

Erebyssial
u took the works rightoutta mymouth
grandlx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 grandlx2
Member since 2004 • 458 Posts

He failed to properly bash a game.

And SMG>you.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
I guess its post every level, see you next level.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

if you give into the hype of any game you will be disappointed.

dragonlife29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dragonlife29
Member since 2005 • 14543 Posts
Opinions are subjective. I disagree with yours.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
The visuals should indeed look more like RE4. The textures could have used some more stretch, there are hardly enough square objects in the game and too many colours. Tell me, what is wrong with grey and brown? (conceiled racism anyone)
The story was by far the worst part. Every time You mistake the library for the bedroom (and press 'a' on the book), You have to sit through a minimum of 4 minute long boring story sessions, yet just too short to finish making Your cup of coffee trying to outlast it.
The controls scream tacked on. You'd think a nintendo game would have forced them on the game or leave them out completely to set the example. At least let us run by shaking our bodies.

In short, i don't really understand Your post.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

The Wiimote feels gimmicky with 99% of the Wii games i've played. Only one that hasn't hit the gimmicky note for me was Zelda. I haven't played SMG yet though. :)

I just hate the way the controller is used in general. Works well with a very limited amount of genres (party and adventure titles being 2 examples of the very limited amount).

I'll reserve my judgement till I play SMG though. Super Mario 64 is easily one of my favorite games of all time as well. Guess i'll wait and see. Opposing opinions are always welcome. Everyone can't enjoy every game.

GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts

If you ask me, this game deserves a 7 out of 10.

fadih2

No one asked you.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
Why should we care about the opinion of someone from a blog post? Seriously TC, what was the point of this?
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Imo Mario has been going down hill for awhile

Snes Marios > SM64 > Sunshine > SMG

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
Wow i can say that about any game and it would bealmost as meaningless as this thread.
Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts

I can honestly believe some of whats being said. I still think its the best looking wii game out, but thats not saying much at this point in time.

After learning what Zelda TP was really like which deserved less than 8.8, i'd have given it 7.5.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zhengi

htekemerald

97.5% >>> you

I can honestly believe some of whats being said. I still think its the best looking wii game out, but thats not saying much at this point in time.

After learning what Zelda TP was really like which deserved less than 8.8, i'd have given it 7.5.

ChinoJamesKeene

94.2% >>> you

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
Right... opinions are a tricky little devil
Kantroce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kantroce
Member since 2006 • 533 Posts

Let me get out of the way, in advance, that I do in fact, own this game and it was bought and paid for with my own money.

I feel the same way. Well, except for the graphics, they might be technically old and crappy but the art style is fairly interesting so I can't complain.

However, as far as gameplay is concerned I felt it got old fast. Every "galaxy" felt chopped up and terse when it came to actually sinking myself into the gameplay. I go to one part of a galaxy and just when I get into the game I've already got the freaking star and I'm flying back to that annoying space station. Also, was it really freaking necessary that I have to watch Mario fly gayly back with a damn star under his hat EVERY time I got one. If there are a 120 god damn stars I don't want to watch it 120 times unless on the 120th time Mario surprises me because he actually managed to keyster it up his rectum to change things up. So when you're done with a galaxy you usually fight a boss that can be killed in a simple and terribly obvious way that practically smacks you in the face with the wii-mote.

On top of that it seems every fight follows the Nintendo trinity damage scale, in which you simply perform the same action 3 times and it is dead. Holy sweat freaking god can we get some new life breathed into a Nintendo game? I honestly cannot bring myself to play this game for extended periods of time. I can't get excited about any one part of the game because it is over just as quickly as it started and I could just as soon find myself participating in some other haphazard Mario escapade that I don't actually care for as much as I could be doing one I would like. Variety is great and all but you know what, I don't like lima bean ice cream and I'd rather have REALLY good vanilla, damn it.

I also cannot come to the conclusion that the wii-mote is an even remotely good controller. I have to agree that I felt forced to use the thing when it was not necessary at all and added no gameplay value (Ha! We told you it could be used!) other than the promote the fact that the wii, indeed, as advertised has motion sensing in the controller. Maybe I just don't know a good game if it smacked me in the ass but I cannot stand behind Super Mario Galaxy as the best Mario ever. Perhaps if it had come right after Super Mario 64 I would be more understanding but I can't in all good conscience jump on the bandwagon with this game.

This is of course ignoring that this game has all the story of a 3rd grader with down syndrome writing a rock opera set to the theme of Dragon Ball Z. I'm a big proponent of games moving forward with intelligent, well written, concise and interesting stories. I understand that this is what Nintendo does, the focus on gameplay and everyone seems to be okay with that, but for the life of me cannot understand how they came upon this free pass. Part of every game for me is an involving story, I don't simply want to push buttons and see colors light up on the screen. I want them to make me ask questions, try to predict what is going on, be confused, and then have things cleared up for me. I want to care for characters, I want to hate characters and I want to have expectations and I also want some of my expectations to be dashed upon the rocks.

Maybe I read far too much into why others play video games and I'm totally alone on this but it's only my opinion so don't take it too seriously. I'm not saying that Super Mario Galaxy is a bad game, I'm saying it's a decent game and maybe it's only a decent game for me and one of the best for everyone else.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts
[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

Zhengi

97.5% >>> you

ChinoJamesKeene

94.2% >>> you

You fail good sir, You just stated that SMG > Super Mario Bros

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Zhengi"][QUOTE="htekemerald"]

htekemerald

97.5% >>> you

ChinoJamesKeene

94.2% >>> you

You fail good sir, You just stated that SMG > Super Mario Bros

Fail as much as you? That's unpossible.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Puckhog04
Wow, some are really taking this personally. :|
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zhengi

Wow, some are really taking this personally. :|Puckhog04

Personal? It's a blog post from a fanboy. Nothing more, nothing less. It can be considered another SW post.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]Wow, some are really taking this personally. :|Zhengi

Personal? It's a blog post from a fanboy. Nothing more, nothing less. It can be considered another SW post.

So because he doesn't like the game he's automatically a fanboy? Interesting...

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zhengi
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]Wow, some are really taking this personally. :|Puckhog04

Oh he can dislike the game, but the way he goes about criticizing it is fanboyish. Graphics from 2001? :lol: If you believe that too, you need some glasses just like the blog writer.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="fadih2"]

....In fact, to this day, I still consider Super Mario Sunshine to be one of the better games in the Mario franchise.... Is it a great game? No...

.....it look downright ugly at times,....If you ask me, this game deserves a 7 out of 10.

out0v0rder

I agree with your quote, Sunshine was an abysmal, im sorry TC but your taste in this situation must be the minority.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#33 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
It surprises me You were looking for a story in a Mario platformer. I expected as much story here as in a Tetris game, and it'd be fine with me.
But i guess so, if You dislike games that don't have a good story i can imagine it's a bad way for this game to start.
Zhengi is letting the beast out :D (pet me).
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Puckhog04
[QUOTE="Puckhog04"][QUOTE="Zhengi"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]Wow, some are really taking this personally. :|Zhengi

Oh he can dislike the game, but the way he goes about criticizing it is fanboyish. Graphics from 2001? :lol: If you believe that too, you need some glasses just like the blog writer.

I didn't state anything regarding graphics. The graphics aren't anything special though and are vastly inferior to even PS3/360 launch titles. I think all he meant was that he expected more from the graphics. I really didn't though considering the game is on the Wii. I expected about what was given. No more/no less. I have yet to play it so i won't comment on gameplay.

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Erebyssial

Let me get out of the way, in advance, that I do in fact, own this game and it was bought and paid for with my own money.

I feel the same way. Well, except for the graphics, they might be technically old and crappy but the art style is fairly interesting so I can't complain.

However, as far as gameplay is concerned I felt it got old fast. Every "galaxy" felt chopped up and terse when it came to actually sinking myself into the gameplay. I go to one part of a galaxy and just when I get into the game I've already got the freaking star and I'm flying back to that annoying space station. Also, was it really freaking necessary that I have to watch Mario fly gayly back with a damn star under his hat EVERY time I got one. If there are a 120 god damn stars I don't want to watch it 120 times unless on the 120th time Mario surprises me because he actually managed to keyster it up his rectum to change things up. So when you're done with a galaxy you usually fight a boss that can be killed in a simple and terribly obvious way that practically smacks you in the face with the wii-mote.

On top of that it seems every fight follows the Nintendo trinity damage scale, in which you simply perform the same action 3 times and it is dead. Holy sweat freaking god can we get some new life breathed into a Nintendo game? I honestly cannot bring myself to play this game for extended periods of time. I can't get excited about any one part of the game because it is over just as quickly as it started and I could just as soon find myself participating in some other haphazard Mario escapade that I don't actually care for as much as I could be doing one I would like. Variety is great and all but you know what, I don't like lima bean ice cream and I'd rather have REALLY good vanilla, damn it.

I also cannot come to the conclusion that the wii-mote is an even remotely good controller. I have to agree that I felt forced to use the thing when it was not necessary at all and added no gameplay value (Ha! We told you it could be used!) other than the promote the fact that the wii, indeed, as advertised has motion sensing in the controller. Maybe I just don't know a good game if it smacked me in the ass but I cannot stand behind Super Mario Galaxy as the best Mario ever. Perhaps if it had come right after Super Mario 64 I would be more understanding but I can't in all good conscience jump on the bandwagon with this game.

This is of course ignoring that this game has all the story of a 3rd grader with down syndrome writing a rock opera set to the theme of Dragon Ball Z. I'm a big proponent of games moving forward with intelligent, well written, concise and interesting stories. I understand that this is what Nintendo does, the focus on gameplay and everyone seems to be okay with that, but for the life of me cannot understand how they came upon this free pass. Part of every game for me is an involving story, I don't simply want to push buttons and see colors light up on the screen. I want them to make me ask questions, try to predict what is going on, be confused, and then have things cleared up for me. I want to care for characters, I want to hate characters and I want to have expectations and I also want some of my expectations to be dashed upon the rocks.

Maybe I read far too much into why others play video games and I'm totally alone on this but it's only my opinion so don't take it too seriously. I'm not saying that Super Mario Galaxy is a bad game, I'm saying it's a decent game and maybe it's only a decent game for me and one of the best for everyone else.

Kantroce

I repsect peoples opinions, but the things you criticised don't seem quite right.

Repetitive gameplay? I don't see any of that in this game. Every galaxy has a different atmosphere and different music, so the feeling I get when playing is always different. Sure, getting Stars is pretty much what you do in the game, but every one has a different way in how you obtain it, which also reflects back from the atmosphere.

Why is Mario doing that thing every time you get a star annoying? It only happens every so often, so I think it can be lived with, nor do little things like that make a game better or worse.

As I said in my last post, the controllers are mixed fantastically. You only need to use the Wii remote for grabbing starbits from a distance, and the odd thing you need to smash open from giving it a little wiggle. Alot of enemies can just be jumped or punded on if you don't like it that much.

Kantroce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kantroce
[QUOTE="Kantroce"]

Erebyssial

I repsect peoples opinions, but the things you criticised don't seem quite right.

Repetitive gameplay? I don't see any of that in this game. Every galaxy has a different atmosphere and different music, so the feeling I get when playing is always different. Sure, getting Stars is pretty much what you do in the game, but every one has a different way in how you obtain it, which also reflects back from the atmosphere.

Why is Mario doing that thing every time you get a star annoying? It only happens every so often, so I think it can be lived with, nor do little things like that make a game better or worse.

As I said in my last post, the controllers are mixed fantastically. You only need to use the Wii remote for grabbing starbits from a distance, and the odd thing you need to smash open from giving it a little wiggle. Alot of enemies can just be jumped or punded on if you don't like it that much.

I didn't say it was repetitive, I said it was not repetitive enough. Did you even read what I wrote? I said that for all of the variety every part of it is short. I end up doing one thing I enjoy only to have it end in 8 or so minutes before I could possibly be doing another thing that I find much less enjoyable. It jumps around way too much and the whole watching Mario with the star everytime is annoying because it happens so frequently.

And secondly the things added to it are gimmicky and annoying, for example the stingy ray surfing and the ball rolling. Pointless and terribly instituted. And even you can't argue that Nintendo gets a free pass when it comes to making an intelligent story for games. Then again gamers don't seem to be interested in anything intelligent lately. (Woooo! Halo 3!)

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Don't believe the hype: Super Mario Galaxy is not that great!

Yes it is. :)
And to the guy saying that it's not repetitive enough; damn, it's never good enough huh? :lol:

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Erebyssial
[QUOTE="Erebyssial"][QUOTE="Kantroce"]

Kantroce

I didn't say it was repetitive, I said it was not repetitive enough. Did you even read what I wrote? I said that for all of the variety every part of it is short. I end up doing one thing I enjoy only to have it end in 8 or so minutes before I could possibly be doing another thing that I find much less enjoyable. It jumps around way too much and the whole watching Mario with the star everytime is annoying because it happens so frequently.

And secondly the things added to it are gimmicky and annoying, for example the stingy ray surfing and the ball rolling. Pointless and terribly instituted. And even you can't argue that Nintendo gets a free pass when it comes to making an intelligent story for games. Then again gamers don't seem to be interested in anything intelligent lately. (Woooo! Halo 3!)

Ah, ok. I just thought you meant it was repetitive with the whole "it gets old fast" and the "bost battles are always the same" kinda thing. Have you got all 120 stars? I've only got 80 something but I've yet to witness anything getting old or finish really fast o_o there's been levels already where I've had to try a million times.

Kantroce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kantroce
It's to the point that it is terse and chopped up in everything that it does. It would be worthwhile to me if there was a story reinforcing all this random gameplay. It feels like a huge collection of mini games to me.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BioShockOwnz

It's to the point that it is terse and chopped up in everything that it does. It would be worthwhile to me if there was a story reinforcing al this random gameplay. It feels like a huge collection of mini games to me.Kantroce

What? You expect a story out of Mario? Lol, you've never played Mario games, eh?

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
i disagree. it's brilliant in level and gameplay design. truelly brilliant. it's just a little tooo easy sometimes.
Kantroce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kantroce

[QUOTE="Kantroce"]It's to the point that it is terse and chopped up in everything that it does. It would be worthwhile to me if there was a story reinforcing al this random gameplay. It feels like a huge collection of mini games to me.BioShockOwnz

What? You expect a story out of Mario? Lol, you've never played Mario games, eh?

See that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Nintendo just gets a free pass on it. There isn't a story. Oh well that's okay because it IS a Mario game after all. And if you actually read what I said, you would understand that I felt that the way the gameplay was presented, without a story it feels chopped up and meaningless to me.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="Kantroce"]It's to the point that it is terse and chopped up in everything that it does. It would be worthwhile to me if there was a story reinforcing al this random gameplay. It feels like a huge collection of mini games to me.Kantroce

See that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Nintendo just gets a free pass on it. There isn't a story. Oh well that's okay because it IS a Mario game after all. And if you actually read what I said, you would understand that I felt that the way the gameplay was presented, without a story it feels chopped up and meaningless to me.

Yes, I bet there's a great story about a plumber floating through space to save a princess....:| Lol! You sound more like a Nintendo/Mario basher. I doubt you've even played SMG seeing as you expect stories from Mario games. If you didn't have any ambition to play one of the other many Mario games, then I don't think you've really played SMG.

Kantroce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kantroce
I have actually played Super Mario Galaxy. I also actually bought and paid for it and I don't have an agenda. I'm just throwing my opinion out there. I was not expecting a story out of it but if a game is getting perfect scores I expected the game to have gameplay that would make me forget about it not having a story and it did not. I don't honestly care if you feel I haven't played it or not because that isn't relevant. Trust me, I have better things to do than pretend to have played video games so I can bash them. A fanboy I am not, sorry to disappoint you.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BioShockOwnz

I have actually played Super Mario Galaxy. I also actually bought and paid for it and I don't have an agenda. I'm just throwing my opinion out there. I was not expecting a story out of it but if a game is getting perfect scores I expected the game to have gameplay that would make me forget about it not having a story and it did not. I don't honestly care if you feel I haven't played it or not because that isn't relevant. Trust me, I have better things to do than pretend to have played video games so I can bash them. A fanboy I am not, sorry to disappoint you. Kantroce

Sure, whatever you say, lol. :)

Sakura321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sakura321
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

My family play the Wii, so I decided to play SMG for a bit to see if I could enjoy it any more then I did SM64.

I dunno why people get worked up over graphics these days, we all knew from day one that the Wii wouldn't have graphics to that of the Xbox 360 or PS3. But SMG has a beautiful art style and the gameplay is like SM64 only slightly better and more fun. Sure, I'm not a fan of the Wii mote, but whatever. I dont take mario games seriously, thus, making me just wanna have fun with it.

Honestly if it wins game of the year I think it deserves it... even if it is on a low-end console. I'm rooting for Mass Effect, though :P

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="Kantroce"]It's to the point that it is terse and chopped up in everything that it does. It would be worthwhile to me if there was a story reinforcing al this random gameplay. It feels like a huge collection of mini games to me.Kantroce

There IS a story. But it's not that big, luckilythat's also not what you want in a Mario game.
The gameplay is amazing, it's simply so creative and utterly fun to play.
Almost every other game this year get's overshadowed by Galaxy's gameplay. It has variety, great artistic design, fitting and awesome music and it's not a short game at all.

Why do all devs get away with 8-10 hour games these days who all rely on multiplayer?
You could also ask yourself that question...

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

Not every game needs story, go read a book.