Does Xbox have enough market for "Sony Class" games? UC, GoW, HZD, Spider, etc.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll Does Xbox have enough market for "Sony Class" games? UC, GoW, HZD, Spider, etc. (18 votes)

Possibly. 50%
Not likely. 50%

MS has started to gather its own set of first party and I wonder if the Xbox userbase (and to a little extent; the PC cause of Play Anywhere) have enough market for MS to warrant development of their own "Sony Class" AAA games (some call "movie games") as "Xbox Eclusives" such as Uncharted 4, GoW 4, HZD, Spiderman, etc.?

Opposite of focusing more on more multiplayer elements.

• 
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Well you have to make the games that consumers want to make them interested in your product. For example if you want racing game fans to buy your system then you make racing games for that system that they want to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I just don't believe that SIE is some master class that no one can touch, when a dozen studios have made better shit, even indie studios do better.

I really don't think Halo 5 and Gears 4 are behind HZD/God of War, not enough to warrant questioning them. Even if they did, today's critics wouldn't give a shit, and would just undermine it, just like they've done every single Xbox exclusive, while every single PS4 exclusive is glorified. Maybe they are better, but feel its just pandering to the audience on PS4.

I don't think most of SIE exclusives are selling that much better than MS's exclusives, so really don't see a problem, other than Xbox haters making a big deal out of nothing. Like every other day we hear Xbox lacks great single player and movie games, yet every other day hear about how good Halo and Gears were. Where was Sony's big SP games 2-4 years ago when Xbox had them, certainly don't recall people questioning what Sony had, when all we had was shit Killzone and Infamous.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Why woulnd't they

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I'm hoping Xbox does something different than PS. As they are now, they're too similar to buy both. MS has a good tablet. Maybe they can make a portable hybrid like switch but with much more processing power. As far as games go, I think they're definitely capable of making quality games... They just need to invest, which they have lately.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Why woulnd't they

I'll try to find more info but afaik Xbox has a different taste compared to PlayStation user base.

They don't seem to play as much Japanese games afaik but I don't have the data atm.

I could be wrong but Xbox also didn't buy as much Witcher 3.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/the-witcher-3-sales-xbox-vs-ps4-vs-pc-33427983/

I wonder if FFXV also had similar reception as Witcher 3 on Xbox. I'm guessing worse but I could be wrong.

The difference isn't even 2-1. Mentioned that since 2-1 is probably the split on ps and xbox hardware sales.

I'm guessing PS doesn't like racers anywhere near as much as Xb?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX

@rzxv04 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Why woulnd't they

I'll try to find more info but afaik Xbox has a different taste compared to PlayStation user base.

They don't seem to play as much Japanese games afaik but I don't have the data atm.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/the-witcher-3-sales-xbox-vs-ps4-vs-pc-33427983/

I wonder if FFXV also had similar reception as Witcher 3 on Xbox. I'm guessing worse but I could be wrong.

The difference isn't even 2-1. Mentioned that since 2-1 is probably the split on ps and xbox hardware sales.

Have you considered they have twice the userbase?

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@rzxv04 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Why woulnd't they

I don't think you read his post.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@MonsieurX said:
@rzxv04 said:
@MonsieurX said:

Why woulnd't they

I don't think you read his post.

Is it worth it?

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Xbox top dogs will be Playground Games and The Iniative. Playground games is pretty much a proven developer that makes high quality games. Have to wait and see whats to come from The Iniative but theyve been acquiring some seasoned vets from top developers around the globe.

So you have 2 high profile developers in the fold. Then you have services like gamepass/play anywhere, small studio acquisitions that should flourish and increase the value of those services, third party deals of launching games on gamepass to draw up some hype, upcoming beta for xcloud game streaming.

MS will be less reliant on hardware and banking more money on software/services where they should be thriving and the market will be there cause people will have plenty of options to game however they choose.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

Is it worth it?

If you want to have a civil discussion, yes.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

Xbox top dogs will be Playground Games and The Iniative. Playground games is pretty much a proven developer that makes high quality games. Have to wait and see whats to come from The Iniative but theyve been acquiring some seasoned vets from top developers around the globe.

So you have 2 high profile developers in the fold. Then you have services like gamepass/play anywhere, small studio acquisitions that should flourish and increase the value of those services, third party deals of launching games on gamepass to draw up some hype, upcoming beta for xcloud game streaming.

MS will be less reliant on hardware and banking more money on software/services where they should be thriving and the market will be there cause people will have plenty of options to game however they choose.

MS is really armed to the teeth for everything else and I am hopeful for their newly acquired teams but I personally would want to see their own takes for "movie games"/"Sony Class" games as I've been preferring those types for a while now. Kinda burnt out with mp games from all the mmos a while back.

I just looked at PGG and apparently it's mostly forza. Not interested in that but I commend them for having the best racers this gen. I'm guessing GT couldn't compete?

I honestly hope MS goes full aggressive with Play Anywhere. If they play it right, it should make more sense to invest all 3rd party games in the xbox/windows ecosystem and Sony relegated to just exclusives.

I'm not exactly sure if Play Anywhere has any limitations though. I'm just assuming it's basically buy 1 get for 2 platforms.

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@MonsieurX said:

Is it worth it?

If you want to have a civil discussion, yes.

Come to think of it, I assume 2015 had less of a lead for the PS team against xb compared to 2017 and beyond. Even then the PS4 had a massive difference and bought a lot of TW3.

Then again IDK if in 2015, the PS4 userbase was waaaay larger compared to xb userbase.

I'm only assuming the gap started to widen the longer this gen is going.

Perhaps PS had marketing rights for TW3?

Mike_Mor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Mike_Mor
Member since 2018 • 9 Posts

Nah.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Sooo neeehealings new alt has been revealed?