Does the Nintendo seal of quality still mean anything?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

After so many reports of people having issues with their Switch is it safe to say that Nintendo can no longer be trusted to make high quality hardware?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I thought those were to signify the game was certified for nintendo console--as in, not pirated--and not hardware quality.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Even when I loved Nintendo in the NES and Snes days I understood the Nintendo seal of quality to be a lame marketing effort. Are you all really so gullible? It's not like a third party designated them to some standard. They themselves are telling you they are high quality and you just take that at face value. Really?

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

After so many reports of people having issues with their Switch is it safe to say that Nintendo can no longer be trusted to make high quality hardware?

So many people? I must be one of the few who haven't...

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Lets not jump to conclusion...so many?...is how many?...how many of those are the same ones that are just repost?.. :P

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Not looking good that's for sure. Glad Sony has been competent this generation. Would suck to be Microsoft or Nintendo nowadays.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

It seems Nintedo's home consoles have always been junk going all the way back to NES.

The control methods have been great though, including the Wii which teenagers attempting to be cool hate.

Problem seems to be the price. Very expensive machine, but junk. When Gameboy release to complete with Game Gear, inferior, but win through cheap price and long battery life.

Switch win through Zelda even though console itself appears to be garbage of the highest form.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@superbuuman said:

Lets not jump to conclusion...so many?...is how many?...how many of those are the same ones that are just repost?.. :P

A lot.

There are a few compilation videos out there that highlight about 30 different errors (or potential errors) plus quality issues. I dont know how common the errors are, but it should be a big concern that we've seen so many and so many repeating for different customers. Its also telling that Nintendo official response to hundreds of people complaining about dead pixels is basically "its not a manufacturing problem, deal with your defective system". I saw an early tear down video and knew it would have hardware issues, but i didnt think it would be as bad as weve seen so far.

To put this in perspective, 99% of the time when the 360 had an error it was going to be one of three issues; overheating, bad soldering, bad cd drive. Hell, with the overheating issues they had before the mini360 or whatever it was, one could easily say that every 360 would overheat and break, it was just matter of when and not if. And lets face it, we could easily declare that as the most defective system in console history. Sooooo, it looks like nintendo has really screwed up.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@kod: Doubt it, i dont know anyone with an issue.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

I doubt there are that many reports of people having problems with their Switch. I think you're full of bullshit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts
@funsohng said:

I thought those were to signify the game was certified for nintendo console--as in, not pirated--and not hardware quality.

That's exactly right actually. Back in the day, it wasn't all that difficult to design a game and put it in a case that would work on the NES. Kids do it all the time today for programming classes in colleges and high schools across the United States. Nintendo's seal signified that it was an officially licensed product.

Sounds like maybe the OP can't afford a switch or forgot to preorder and is a little salty from watching all the videos of us having a blast with ours???

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@itstotallymike said:
@funsohng said:

That's exactly right actually. Back in the day, it wasn't all that difficult to design a game and put it in a case that would work on the NES. Kids do it all the time today for programming classes in colleges and high schools across the United States. Nintendo's seal signified that it was an officially licensed product.

Sounds like maybe the OP can't afford a switch or forgot to preorder and is a little salty from watching all the videos of us having a blast with ours???

It was difficult until Atari reverse engineered the 10NES lockout chip and bypassed Nintendos very strict licensing policy . Nintendo only allowed 5 games per year and ordered a 2 year exclusivity for each game released on the NES. They put out those black cartridges under the name of TENGEN until Nintendo got lawyers involved and all kind of shit kicked off.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Good lord, The "Seal of Quality" meant f*** all besides them approving the game to be on their system and that's it. There's a reason we have reviewers like the AVGN, Classic Game Room, and Game Sack.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

I think that the Nintendo seal of quality is one of the most misunderstood things in gaming. It is not what people think it really is.

If people have issues with Nintendo's hardware quality, do not buy it. Vote with your pockets.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#15  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Lol

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Never meant anything and still doesn't. It's marketing mang, don't be so gullible McFlys...

lol :P

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Never meant anything and still doesn't. It's marketing mang, don't be so gullible McFlys...

lol :P

.....................lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

@boycie: the voltage spike approach was actually used long before the rabbit chip, but wasn't too prevelant in the states. You're right though, it was a bit more complex than my reference to today's students. That said, the seal did signify legality not quality.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#19 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It never meant anything back when Nintendo put the Seal of Quality label on NES carts.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@itstotallymike: TC is a well known console flip flopper that in the past has had mental breakdowns and gone AWOL.

These forums aren't for everyone.

I smell insecurity

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@funsohng said:

This for sure.

How are threads like this still allowed?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I don't know..... Did they put it on 1-2 Switch?

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

At least my switch doesn't wobble.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@kod said:
@superbuuman said:

A lot.

Rather than ambiguous wording, why the hesitation to offer something more concrete and specific?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

And thumb stick knobs falling apart in your hands with all that 2 hour battery life as well. :P

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

No. Their quality control has dipped over the years with the 3DS versions and has now carried over with the Switch. Erica Griffin on youtube has pointed this out. Most recently it was a problem with her new 3DS screen. She's very picky though.. In this video she mentions the different screens and one of the 3ds being poorly made and crooked.

Loading Video...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Meant, yea. Its long gone now.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Hell No. Star Fox Zero has to be one of the worst Nintendo developed games they have ever released. You didn't get garbage like from Nintendo back in the 80's/90's

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@funsohng said:

The Nintendo Seal of Quality is there to certify...well quality. Originally it was to ensure software quality and to assuage gamers after the big video game crash. After all the of the Wii shovelware that bore the "Quality" seal it doesn't really mean anything more than Nintendo made money off your purchase.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

probably not.

The Nintendo Seal of Quality was a needed feature when it was made. When Nintendo entered the industry, the Atari gen had ruined gaming's rep. There were lots of buggy games that didn't work, and also x-rated games and stolen pirate games out there. Atari didn't have any controls on the software released.

Nintendo's Seal was just to tell the consumer that the game was properly developed by a real company, and that it would at least function when you put it in. There were plenty games back then that had the Seal of Quality that weren't good games. It's not about how fun it is. It's not to guard against shovelware even

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@GunSmith1_basic: It wasn't buggy games that plagued Atari, it was shovelware. The seal, and the 10NES lockout chip, where there for "your assurance that NINTENDO has approved and guaranteed the quality of this product."

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@skektek said:

@GunSmith1_basic: It wasn't buggy games that plagued Atari, it was shovelware. The seal, and the 10NES lockout chip, where there for "your assurance that NINTENDO has approved and guaranteed the quality of this product."

The Atari 2600 was plagued with shovelware, but that's not what the seal of quality was about. There were still shovelware quality games on the NES and SNES, with the seal of quality. Nintendo didn't reject games just because they were not particularly good. It was just that the game would meet certain quality standards, not in gameplay but in the technical sense, and most of all the moral standards (as in making sure it was suitable for kids).

The seal was really just the marketing face of the lockout chip. The fact that the lockout tech is now considered so standard that people can't imagine a world where the console maker doesn't approve the game, shows that the Nintendo seal of quality is no longer needed.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

You people would never be good businessmen. Do you not understand people are paid to come up with this marketing/ consumer confidence stuff?

Didn't games like Ikari Warriors and the Adventures of Bayou Billy come with the Nintendo seal? You'd get more enjoyment setting the money on fire then spending it on those games.

Anyways, the bad easily overshadows the good. Remember when PS4 and Xbox One launched all the threads about how launch models were failing, breaking, wobbling etc. I think it's pretty obvious now that those machines have a very low failure rate. Hopefully the same can be said about the Switch, I'll wait for a report on the percentage of failed units .

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KOD

@Solaryellow said:
@kod said:
@superbuuman said:

A lot.

Rather than ambiguous wording, why the hesitation to offer something more concrete and specific?

Oh, my bad.... i guess i didnt write two paragraphs after that where i covered things like potential frequency of these incidents.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Its the first generation of switch consoles so this isn't surprising. Anyways if u get a defective one just exchange it for a new one. Whats the big deal?

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@Ghost120x: I got a wobble station too, fixed it by stacking some coasters underneath

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@crashnburn281: I wouldn't call Sony competent more like stable for the time being despite being still recovering financially. I doubt ps4 and ps4 pro were issue free at the start there's always lemons in the first batch of consoles. It'll be the same for switch.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

The nintendo seal of quality does mean quality but what doesn't mean is perfection. I would like to rate their response to hardware and software issues though. Aside from a swollen 3ds battery, lag in pokemon moon, and an error from playing my cube too much I've never had major problems with nintendo products

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@kod said:
@Solaryellow said:
@kod said:
@superbuuman said:

A lot.

Oh, my bad.... i guess i didnt write two paragraphs after that where i covered things like potential frequency of these incidents.

You wrote two paragraphs of poppycock and even admit as not knowing how common these issues are. You go further by using the word "many" a few times along with "hundreds." Either you know with certainty (i.e. 5%, 12%, etc..,) or you are just blowing hot air comprised of assumption.

Since you didn't think it would be as bad as seen, just how bad is it?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Does the seal of quality mean nothing anymore?!

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KOD

@Solaryellow said:

You wrote two paragraphs of poppycock and even admit as not knowing how common these issues are. You go further by using the word "many" a few times along with "hundreds." Either you know with certainty (i.e. 5%, 12%, etc..,) or you are just blowing hot air comprised of assumption.

Since you didn't think it would be as bad as seen, just how bad is it?

Yah, part of what i wrote about was the simple FACT, that for right now we dont know how bad this is and we cannot know how bad this is because of how soon after launch this was all discovered. The point i tried to make that you apparently brushed over, was that the wide range of (many duplicated) errors we are seeing with such a delicate product (that is also mass produced, new out of box errors are often not "isolated") is definitely something we should be very concerned about and definitely shows us a line of bad products. Again, when we see faulty products its generally very concerning when we see one or two out of box errors, so far weve seen dozens with the Switch.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

It means only 1 thing. That the game's developer paid Nintendo for a license to sell and distribute the game for their platform. That's all it has ever meant, don't let the quality part fool you, it's just words.

anyone here can obtain a license from Nintendo if you wanted to so long as you agree to said license.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

Really? Mine does. But unlike the PS4, which you have no reason to push on, you do for the Switch when it's docked and you need to remove or attach the JoyCons.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#44 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Did you play Ghostbusters nes? It never meant anything.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

After watching "Nintendo Switch VS. 60,000 PSI Waterjet", I'd say YES.

They literally cut a triangle out of the screen/console and it continued to work. That's worth a thousand seals if you ask me. :P

Loading Video...
CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@Micropixel: Staged PR since the launch units are barely working right.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@aigis said:

Does the seal of quality mean nothing anymore?!

N64 had Daikatana (the game that ruined John Romero's career) as well.