Does the Destiny flop hurt Sony and their fans more?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

s0ldier69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 s0ldier69
Member since 2005 • 2281 Posts

..because it feels like it does. Destiny has been the cows pride and joy ever since it was announced. This was their game. Yes it was on the xbox too but Sony had the big content partnership and the cows liked to flaunt that whenever they could. Couple that with the fact that the game would surely perfom waaayy better on the ps4 and this was basically a sony exclusive, right? Well, as it turns out the game is almost an exact performance match on the x1 and now the reviews are down right ruinous. Cows are awful quiet about this but it must sting. Doesn't help that ps4 owners still have nothing but indies to play. Meanwhile xbox has forza horizon 2, sunset overdrive and Halo MCC coming right around the corner.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Gamers are enjoying it, Activision has made its $500 million back in one day. I think the only ones that aren't enjoying it are the ones moaning and complaining on forums.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's more Kevin's review that's causing butthurt than the game itself.

It's some glorious butthurt.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

It doesn't hurt Sony at all because from what I'm seeing that White Destiny PS4 bundle is doing some major damage in stores moving tons of PS4s.

As for fans? It's just like any game, some people will enjoy it, praise and dismiss the reviews and others will hate and bash the game using the reviews as ammunition.

Boggle_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Boggle_Dragon
Member since 2014 • 125 Posts

I'm actually enjoying the game quite alot. I got the White ps4 bundle for €399. Iv been playing with friends so that helps. Most gripes with the game are valid, but iv faith in bungie that these will be fixed. Don't feel stung whatsoever.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Sony are known to have flop shooter games so they're use to it. As for their fans, they're use to it too and will continue to hype the next Playstation game until that flops. Endless cow cycle.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45055 Posts

um a bunch of people who review video games for a small living don't determine if a game was a flop. sales does. so unless you know something I don't, you can't really say it's a flop at this point.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

But their head honcho said it's literally like a first party title for Sony so don't you play that multiplatform card, mister.

s0ldier69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 s0ldier69
Member since 2005 • 2281 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

um a bunch of people who review video games for a small living don't determine if a game was a flop. sales does. so unless you know something I don't, you can't really say it's a flop at this point.

if you've been around here since 2003 then you know the system wars rules. If a hyped game does not score 9.0 or above its a flop. If it scores a 6, well that's a %$^&*ing disaster.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

i think it hurts all those annoying fanboys raging how this will be the best thing ever and how its the biggest game in a while and how its not on pc....well now its a flop, SUCK IT.

This proves that bungie isnt that good and the halo franchise is overrated.

Is destiny a good game? It is but compared to borderlands it has like half the content....although more pvp stuff than borderlands, its not that grand big thing mmo they were talking about.

As for sony? Yeah i think it kinda does hurt since they payed alot of money to have exlusive rights to advertize it...lol exlusive rights to advertize an exlusive? Also exluside dlc, yes i know its time and in the long run they said "we are treating this as a first party release" Well suck it sony, xbox wins in metacritic again.

Before being called a xbot, i am pc master race. I only owned sony consoles not xbox or nintendos.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

Probably, cows were acting like the game was exclusive and a Halo killer. Sony pushed the game as if was a major win for them and a 1st party game. And here we are with it flopping, gamers complaining about its boredom and trading it in early, and its MC rating plummeting by the day. It will have its initial sales but word is getting around...this isn't a great game.

I'm sure MS are glad they dodged this bullet n put their money somewhere else. They must of gotten their hands on the game and heard Bungie's plans n saw it wasnt worthwhile to invest. saw the flop potential. Sony has nothing else so they just latched onto Bungie's new game n started the hype train.

Destiny turning out lackluster definitely hurt Sony and their fans more. Its easy to see.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Actually here on gamespot that's not true. But really? this game that is getting okay reviews is not a flop, after being hyped as the next big thing?

Heck I remember sony fanboys calling TitanFall a flop for getting less than 90 on metacritic

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Gamers are enjoying it, Activision has made its $500 million back in one day. I think the only ones that aren't enjoying it are the ones moaning and complaining on forums.

implying that forum people aren't gamers.

wut.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

@Desmonic said:

Yes, I'm sure cows are extremely bothered by a multiplat that flopped. Oh, so bothered!

Well they were the ones hyping destiny with its exclusive content/definitive edition. And sony was the ones treating it like it was a first party exclusive

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

It's not a flop from my perspective, but if it was the only ones hurt would be Bungie and Activision.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

For fans, it hurts everyone equally. You can argue the merits of both console lineups (this is System Wars, after all), but at the end of the day this was a multiplat flop so it changes very little as far as the System Wars metagame goes.

For Sony, yes, it hurts them because they've been co-marketing the title and have invested a lot of time and money into promoting it. In this multiplat age, companies do whatever they can to make their console stand out. This negative reaction isn't going to help them, but on the other hand, the PS4 will continue to sell gangbusters this holiday season anyway so it doesn't really matter. If they don't buy Destiny they'll just buy something else.

The one who is most hurt is obviously Bungie.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Yes, I'm sure cows are extremely bothered by a multiplat that flopped. Oh, so bothered!

Salt_the_Fries was very upset last night over this, aswell.

I mean, DC, LBP3 and other exclusives not scoring well, sure. A multiplat, even with the PS4 alignment, da fuq?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib

@JangoWuzHere said:

@clyde46 said:

implying that forum people aren't gamers.

wut.

No one in SW plays games, they just argue about playing games

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Its a multiplat, and its selling lots of PS4's... its difficult to see how anyone would be bothered. Most comments I've read on the game have been positive, and most even agree with the reviews. So I take it they are okay with the game.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Flop? It's made bank for Activision and most people who bought it are enjoying it, myself included. Oh no, a journalist I never trusted to start with gave it an average score, may as well return it now.

Funny how metacritic gets used and ignored at different times depending on which narrative people are attempting to push. And even I'm guilty of that once or twice.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostrib

@Desmonic said:

@lostrib said:

@Desmonic said:

Well they were the ones hyping destiny with its exclusive content/definitive edition. And sony was the ones treating it like it was a first party exclusive

Still a multiplat in which Sony had no involvement besides marketing (the special bundle and ad campaign).

Lems trying to pin this on cows comes off desperate as f*ck. It's understandable, considering the XB1 current situation, but still... one hell of a grasp!

Well I wouldn't criticize sony for it flopping. But I would make fun of Sony fans for hyping it and its exclusive content making PS4 the definitive edition, and then when it flops it's just another multiplat

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@clyde46 said:

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lostrib

@Desmonic said:

@lostrib: The problem with that (and we're entering the fanboy type of discussion here, so remove all logical thought) is that the PS4 version still (probably) sold gangbusters and the bundle (probably) further helped the PS4 increase it's lead on the XB1. So even in this scenario, they "win" (as much as one wins in these discussions) :P

it's just fun to watch things blow up in fanboy's faces. Especially for those sony fanboys who tried to use Destiny against PC gamers.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@s0ldier69 said:

Destiny has been the cows pride and joy ever since it was announced. This was their game.

and the bullshit lies begin..........

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

It's more Kevin's review that's causing butthurt than the game itself.

It's some glorious butthurt.

butthurt from who though? bungie fans? i guess i can see that.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Only if a review score decides whether a player enjoys a game or not

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I dont think it would matter to sony wat score it gets, as long as it sells good numbers on the PS4 and the White PS4 Bundle are being moved (which i heard had good pre-order numbers).

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

either way the game made half a billion dollars in a day, so it's partnership with sony obviously helped.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

I think it hurts Bungie more than anyone. Sure. Activision made a ton, but thats mainly to do with them throwing so much money at marketing. Feeding the old hype train with cash.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The game is fun to play. Score isn't wrong or underrated because many important elements in the game are soooo bad (story/dialogue/voice acting say HELLO) but the most important part of it all is great, which is gunplay/gameplay.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@FastRobby said:

@tormentos said:

@clyde46 said:

Haha, yeah gamers also enjoyed Ryse.

Lemmings with no games to play did, strangely enough.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

@silversix_:

I heard the voice acting was great and the gameplay was repetitive as hell and boring same old enemies waves

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

So far, I've seen more people claim others are butthurt than people who are actually butthurt.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

I dont know how much cows were praising it as their own but Sony was definitely advertising it as if it were a Sony exclusive. So that much is fitting that it turned out to be crappy and fits right in with the rest of the ps4 lineup.

I do remember seeing people implying that the lack of games coming to ps4 wasnt so important because of multiplats like Destiny though..

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@s0ldier69: The PS3 and 360 are almost a performance match. What does that tell you?....

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

I'm loving the game so far. Doesn't hurt me one bit

Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

I don't think anybody with a life would even care about something like this.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

What kind of a strange question is that? why would it even hurt Sony? the game probably made Sony sell even more PS4's and the game is REALLY fun

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

By this logic, COD getting a bad score makes Xbox look bad. I personally couldn't care less about the review score, I'm enjoying the game. However something tells me the game wouldn't of gotten so hammered if there was an exclusive Xbox bundle. COD somehow gets away with 8s all day, so I wouldn't take reviews seriously.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Compared to TitalFail, looks like Sony backed the right horse.

$500 million speaks volumes.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

It's hurts me so good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20